|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the second section of this book?
2. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
3. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
4. Scarry says there is no end to ______________for beauty.
5. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
2. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
3. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
4. For what is Matisse known?
5. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
6. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
7. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
8. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
9. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
10. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
Essay Topic 1
What was the analogy of the garden, and what message was sent through that analogy?
Essay Topic 2
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry feel about nature, and why did this set her apart from most of the other people in society at the time?`
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)