|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
2. What fear did Matisse write about?
3. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
4. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
5. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
2. Why did Plato say people had children?
3. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
4. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
5. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
6. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
7. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
8. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
9. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
10. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry say she differed from most of the people she came in contact with, and what did this mean for her daily life?
Essay Topic 2
Where does vulnerability fit in with beauty and the admiration of it, according to Scarry? What are your thoughts on this thesis?
Essay Topic 3
How are the beautiful and the sublime separated according to Scarry?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)