|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
2. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
3. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
4. Where does Scarry look for beauty?
5. What kind of moment does Scarry say follows most errors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
2. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
3. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
4. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
5. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
6. For what is Matisse known?
7. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
8. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
9. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
10. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the analogies Scarry used when teaching about beauty, and how did they affect the audiences who heard them?
Essay Topic 2
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
Essay Topic 3
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)