|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Odysseus visit?
2. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
3. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
4. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
5. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
2. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
3. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
4. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
5. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
6. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
7. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
8. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
9. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
10. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the four examples Scarry used to claim that beauty causes no harm, and how were they used?
Essay Topic 2
How did Scarry say she differed from most of the people she came in contact with, and what did this mean for her daily life?
Essay Topic 3
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)