|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
2. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
3. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
4. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
5. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
2. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
3. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
4. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
5. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
6. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
7. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
8. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
9. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
10. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
Essay Topic 2
Where does vulnerability fit in with beauty and the admiration of it, according to Scarry? What are your thoughts on this thesis?
Essay Topic 3
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)