|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
2. Who wrote poems about mistakes in beauty?
3. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
4. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
5. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
2. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
3. Why did Plato say people had children?
4. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
5. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
6. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
7. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
8. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
9. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
10. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry say she differed from most of the people she came in contact with, and what did this mean for her daily life?
Essay Topic 2
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
Essay Topic 3
What was the main message of this book, and why were these particular quotes chosen to share this message?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)