|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scarry say she feels when she stops craving beauty?
2. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
3. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
4. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
5. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
2. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
3. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
4. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
5. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
6. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
7. What genre does this book fit in and why?
8. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
9. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
10. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
How are the beautiful and the sublime separated according to Scarry?
Essay Topic 3
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)