|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
2. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
3. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
4. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
5. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
2. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
3. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
4. What genre does this book fit in and why?
5. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
6. For what is Matisse known?
7. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
8. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
9. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
10. Why did Plato say people had children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the analogies Scarry used when teaching about beauty, and how did they affect the audiences who heard them?
Essay Topic 2
Where does vulnerability fit in with beauty and the admiration of it, according to Scarry? What are your thoughts on this thesis?
Essay Topic 3
What does Scarry say about beauty's effect on society? What are your feelings on this?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)