Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
2. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
3. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
4. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
2. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
3. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
4. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
5. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
6. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
7. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
8. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
9. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
10. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
Essay Topic 1
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
Essay Topic 2
How were your thoughts on beauty changed while reading this book, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)