|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
2. What object did Matisse write about?
3. Where did Matisse do most of his work?
4. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
5. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
2. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
3. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
4. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
5. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
6. Why did Plato say people had children?
7. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
8. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
9. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
10. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the analogies Scarry used when teaching about beauty, and how did they affect the audiences who heard them?
Essay Topic 3
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)