|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
2. What replaces the paint brush for part of The Morning Session?
3. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
4. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
5. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
2. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
3. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
4. Why did Plato say people had children?
5. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
6. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
7. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
8. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
9. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
10. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were your thoughts on beauty changed while reading this book, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the analogies Scarry used when teaching about beauty, and how did they affect the audiences who heard them?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)