|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impulse does Scarry say beauty creates?
2. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
3. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
4. To what kind of craving does Scarry compare beauty?
5. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the double meaning of fairness?
2. What does Scarry say about gardens?
3. What genre does this book fit in and why?
4. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
5. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
6. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
7. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
8. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
9. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
10. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
Essay Topic 1
Where does vulnerability fit in with beauty and the admiration of it, according to Scarry? What are your thoughts on this thesis?
Essay Topic 2
How were your thoughts on beauty changed while reading this book, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)