|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Odysseus visit?
2. Where does Scarry look for beauty?
3. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
4. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
5. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
2. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
3. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
4. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
5. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
6. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
7. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
8. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
9. What genre does this book fit in and why?
10. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
Essay Topic 2
Where does vulnerability fit in with beauty and the admiration of it, according to Scarry? What are your thoughts on this thesis?
Essay Topic 3
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)