|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
2. What is Scarry's first conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
3. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
4. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
5. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarry end this book?
2. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
3. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
4. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
5. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
6. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
7. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
8. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
9. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
10. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
Essay Topic 1
What was the analogy of the garden, and what message was sent through that analogy?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main message of this book, and why were these particular quotes chosen to share this message?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)