|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
2. Where did Scarry find a motif?
3. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
4. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
5. Where does Scarry look for beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
2. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
3. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
4. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
5. What is the double meaning of fairness?
6. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
7. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
8. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
9. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
10. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the limitations of beauty according to this book, and what examples of these can you see in every day life?
Essay Topic 2
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
Essay Topic 3
What does Scarry say about beauty's effect on society? What are your feelings on this?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)