|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Scarry find a motif?
2. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
3. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
4. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
5. Where did Matisse do most of his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
2. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
3. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
4. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
5. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
6. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
7. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
8. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
9. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
10. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry feel about nature, and why did this set her apart from most of the other people in society at the time?`
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)