|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
2. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
3. What fear did Matisse write about?
4. How many conclusions did Scarry have about Odysseus's visit?
5. What was Matisse's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
2. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
3. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
4. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
5. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
6. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
7. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
8. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
9. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
10. For what is Matisse known?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
Essay Topic 2
What does Scarry say about beauty's effect on society? What are your feelings on this?
Essay Topic 3
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)