|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
2. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
3. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
4. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
5. Where did Scarry find a motif?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
2. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
3. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
4. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
5. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
6. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
7. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
8. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
9. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
10. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
Essay Topic 2
What was Scarry's relationship with God, and what led to this? How did she maintain this in her life?
Essay Topic 3
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)