|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
2. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
3. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
4. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
5. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
2. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
3. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
4. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
5. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
6. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
7. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
8. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
9. For what is Matisse known?
10. What genre does this book fit in and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
Essay Topic 2
What was the analogy of the garden, and what message was sent through that analogy?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the limitations of beauty according to this book, and what examples of these can you see in every day life?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)