|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote about Odysseus?
2. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
3. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
4. How does Scarry say education helps beauty?
5. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
2. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
3. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
4. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
5. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
6. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
7. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
8. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
9. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
10. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry feel about nature, and why did this set her apart from most of the other people in society at the time?`
Essay Topic 2
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)