|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
2. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
3. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
4. What does Scarry say is our major limitation in seeing beauty?
5. What is a motif?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Matisse known?
2. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
3. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
4. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
5. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
6. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
7. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
8. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
9. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
10. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the beautiful and the sublime separated according to Scarry?
Essay Topic 2
How were your thoughts on beauty changed while reading this book, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)