|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
2. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
3. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
4. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
5. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
2. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
3. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
4. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
5. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
6. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
7. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
8. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
9. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
10. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the main message of this book, and why were these particular quotes chosen to share this message?
Essay Topic 2
How are the beautiful and the sublime separated according to Scarry?
Essay Topic 3
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)