|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
2. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
3. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
4. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
5. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
2. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
3. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
4. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
5. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
6. Why did Plato say people had children?
7. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
8. What genre does this book fit in and why?
9. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
10. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does vulnerability fit in with beauty and the admiration of it, according to Scarry? What are your thoughts on this thesis?
Essay Topic 2
How did Scarry incorporate personification into this book, and what effect did this have on the tone of it?
Essay Topic 3
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)