|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
2. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
3. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
4. How does Scarry say she feels when she stops craving beauty?
5. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
2. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
3. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
4. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
5. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
6. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
7. Why did Plato say people had children?
8. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
9. What genre does this book fit in and why?
10. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
Essay Topic 2
What were the four examples Scarry used to claim that beauty causes no harm, and how were they used?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the analogies Scarry used when teaching about beauty, and how did they affect the audiences who heard them?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)