Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
2. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
3. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
4. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
2. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
3. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
4. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
5. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
6. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
7. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
8. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
9. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
10. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
How do beauty and justice connect, and what is the effect of this on society?
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)