|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
2. Where did Scarry find a motif?
3. How many conclusions did Scarry have about Odysseus's visit?
4. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
5. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
2. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
3. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
4. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
5. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
6. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
7. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
8. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
9. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
10. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry say she differed from most of the people she came in contact with, and what did this mean for her daily life?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)