|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
2. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
3. What did Plato say really caused children?
4. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
5. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
2. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
3. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
4. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
5. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
6. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
7. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
8. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
9. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
10. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
Essay Topic 2
Where does vulnerability fit in with beauty and the admiration of it, according to Scarry? What are your thoughts on this thesis?
Essay Topic 3
How are the beautiful and the sublime separated according to Scarry?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)