|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
2. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
3. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
4. What object did Matisse write about?
5. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
2. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
3. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
4. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
5. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
6. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
7. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
8. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
9. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
10. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were your thoughts on beauty changed while reading this book, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
Essay Topic 3
How did Scarry feel about nature, and why did this set her apart from most of the other people in society at the time?`
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)