|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
2. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
3. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
4. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
5. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
2. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
3. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
4. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
5. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
6. Why did Plato say people had children?
7. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
8. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
9. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
10. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does vulnerability fit in with beauty and the admiration of it, according to Scarry? What are your thoughts on this thesis?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the analogies Scarry used when teaching about beauty, and how did they affect the audiences who heard them?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the limitations of beauty according to this book, and what examples of these can you see in every day life?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)