|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
2. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
3. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
4. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
5. Who wrote about Odysseus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
2. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
3. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
4. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
5. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
6. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
7. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
8. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
9. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
10. What genre does this book fit in and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do some people want to banish beauty in educational facilities, and what effect do you think this would have on those facilities?
Essay Topic 2
How are the beautiful and the sublime separated according to Scarry?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the errors in beauty mentioned by Scarry, and how do you think they can be overcome?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)