|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
2. Whom did Odysseus visit?
3. How does Scarry say she feels when she stops craving beauty?
4. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
5. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
2. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
3. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
4. What genre does this book fit in and why?
5. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
6. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
7. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
8. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
9. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
10. Why did Plato say people had children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Scarry say she differed from most of the people she came in contact with, and what did this mean for her daily life?
Essay Topic 2
Elaine Scarry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism differ from the normal ideals of people?
Essay Topic 3
Where does vulnerability fit in with beauty and the admiration of it, according to Scarry? What are your thoughts on this thesis?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)