|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
2. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
3. What does Scarry say validates the existence of some things?
4. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
5. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
2. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
3. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
4. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
5. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
6. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
7. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
8. What genre does this book fit in and why?
9. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
10. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this collection, and where does it appear? How was the tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
How did the selection of quotes chosen by Scarry work together to make this book effective and significant?
Essay Topic 3
What was your favorite quote from this book, and why was it so significant to you?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)