|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beauty is compacted with ______________.
2. What did those who wanted to banish beauty think was wrong with it?
(a) It was unfairly distributed.
(b) It was distracting.
(c) It was destructive.
(d) It was useless.
3. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(c) None of these.
4. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
5. What did Scarry salute?
(b) Countries centered around beauty.
(c) Philosophers who loved religion.
(d) Continued existence.
6. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
7. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The love between others.
(b) The care of all.
(c) The creation of more.
(d) The replication of beauty.
8. Beauty was demoted from ______________.
(a) The sublime.
(b) All of these.
(c) The natural man.
(d) The arts.
9. What comes from perfect justice?
(a) Perfect rendering.
(b) Perfect beauty.
(c) Perfect creation.
(d) Perfect equality.
10. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
(a) The rain.
(b) The weather.
(c) The sky.
(d) The clouds.
11. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
(a) Motivational Speaker.
12. What is the final phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Classic philosophers.
(b) Baroque writers.
(c) Contemporary writers.
(d) Mid-Century writers.
13. What is most vulnerable when beauty is admired?
(a) The person admiring the beauty.
(b) The person being admired.
(c) The person who chooses not to admire others.
(d) The person who is overlooked.
14. Who says that beauty puts us in touch with our bodies?
15. What symbolizes social justice for Scarry?
(a) The stars.
(b) The sky.
(c) The earth.
(d) The moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can never be harmful?
2. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
3. What term is defined with both beauty and justice?
4. What does Scarry try to include in her writing?
5. What concept did Edmund Burke write about?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)