|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
2. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
(a) It is not detailed enough.
(b) It is marked by what it cannot do.
(c) It is too detailed.
(d) It is not given credit for its good.
3. What is uneven in the world?
(c) All of these.
4. What kind of pressure does beauty cause?
5. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
(a) Jealous complaints.
(b) Past complaints.
(c) Political complaints.
(d) Religious complaints.
6. What kind of life does Scarry want to make beautiful?
(a) Spiritual life.
(b) Existential life.
(c) Interior life.
(d) Exterior life.
7. Scarry's doubtful friend agreed with the idea that ________________.
(a) Beauty and justice needed balance.
(b) People needed beauty to survive.
(c) Beauty brought about good.
(d) People were better with beauty.
8. What does beauty give us access to do?
(a) Find love.
(b) Be distracted from evil.
(c) Seek better things.
(d) Feel alive.
9. What does Scarry say confirms the life of gardens?
(a) Caring for the plants there.
(b) Helping plants reproduce.
(c) Pulling weeds.
(d) Admiring their beauty.
10. What is NOT always found with beauty?
11. What was the profession of the friend of Scarry's who doubted her ideas?
12. What does Scarry say a bad vase lends value to?
(a) Other works of the maker.
(b) The flowers in the vase.
(c) Good vases.
(d) The maker of the vase.
13. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
14. What did Euripides describe in detail?
(c) Assembly halls.
15. What led to beauty being trapped in a particular realm?
(a) People changing its ideas.
(b) The poems written about it.
(c) The negative views about it.
(d) Its demotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty was demoted from ______________.
2. What concept did Edmund Burke write about?
3. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
4. How does Scarry describe her explanations of beauty?
5. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)