|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of pressure does beauty cause?
2. Why can't poems be harmed?
(a) They are creations.
(b) They are inanimate.
(c) They are eternal.
(d) They are full of life.
3. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
4. What mid-century writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. What is the first kind of perception described by Scarry?
6. What is most vulnerable when beauty is admired?
(a) The person admiring the beauty.
(b) The person being admired.
(c) The person who chooses not to admire others.
(d) The person who is overlooked.
7. What is Scarry's hope for the next generation?
(a) They reinstate beauty into religion.
(b) They appreciate beauty.
(c) They find true justice.
(d) They they understand her words.
8. What is NOT always found with beauty?
9. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
10. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) None of these.
11. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
12. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
(a) Not male.
(b) Not righteous.
(c) Not night.
(d) Not harmful.
13. Why do people seek out beauty?
(a) They want to become beautiful.
(b) They want to add it to the world.
(c) They want to see if it exists.
(d) They want to lighten their load.
14. How are the complaints lodged against beauty described?
(a) All of these.
15. What kind of life does Scarry want to make beautiful?
(a) Spiritual life.
(b) Existential life.
(c) Exterior life.
(d) Interior life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these terms has a dual meaning?
2. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
3. In what field was beauty taboo when this book was written?
4. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
5. What did Andreas write about?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)