|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Scarry salute?
(a) Countries centered around beauty.
(c) Philosophers who loved religion.
(d) Continued existence.
2. What part of life did the demotion of beauty affect the most?
(c) Family life.
3. Who introduced the concept that led to the demotion of beauty?
4. What does Scarry say a bad vase lends value to?
(a) The flowers in the vase.
(b) Good vases.
(c) The maker of the vase.
(d) Other works of the maker.
5. What is the third phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Classic philosophers.
(b) Mid-Century writers.
(c) Contemporary writers.
(d) Baroque writers.
6. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
7. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Contemporary writers.
(b) Baroque writers.
(c) Classic philosophers.
(d) Mid-Century writers.
8. Why do some people claim beauty is not earned?
(a) It is too easily obtained.
(b) It is too subjective.
(c) Some people don't desire it.
(d) Some people are born with it.
9. What was the profession of the friend of Scarry's who doubted her ideas?
10. What is the only place where beauty can possibly be bad?
(a) In religion.
(b) In nature.
(c) In humans.
(d) In memories.
11. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
(a) Jealous complaints.
(b) Religious complaints.
(c) Political complaints.
(d) Past complaints.
12. What can never be harmful?
(a) Seeking for beautiful things.
(b) Being beautiful.
(c) Reading about beauty.
(d) Giving pleasure to others.
13. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
(a) Not harmful.
(b) Not night.
(c) Not righteous.
(d) Not male.
14. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
(d) Motivational Speaker.
15. What does an onlooker of beauty often wish?
(a) To trade places with the beautiful being.
(b) To enhance their own lives.
(c) To create something as beautiful.
(d) To stay there a little longer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scarry say the desire for social good manifests itself?
2. What kind of life does Scarry want to make beautiful?
3. What is different about the searches for beauty than other searches?
4. Beauty was demoted from ______________.
5. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)