|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
2. Why can't poems be harmed?
(a) They are eternal.
(b) They are inanimate.
(c) They are creations.
(d) They are full of life.
3. What comes from perfect justice?
(a) Perfect equality.
(b) Perfect beauty.
(c) Perfect rendering.
(d) Perfect creation.
4. Who said that all things aspire to equality?
5. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
6. What does the vulnerable person who admires beauty risk?
(a) Being rejected.
(b) Having no privacy.
(c) Becoming attached.
(d) Giving up secrets.
7. What about beauty did those wanting to banish it say was destructive?
(a) All of these.
(b) People's attention on it.
(c) People's gaze on it.
(d) People's striving for it.
8. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
9. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
10. What did Andreas write about?
11. What is Scarry's hope for the next generation?
(a) They appreciate beauty.
(b) They find true justice.
(c) They they understand her words.
(d) They reinstate beauty into religion.
12. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The creation of more.
(b) The replication of beauty.
(c) The care of all.
(d) The love between others.
13. Why do people seek out beauty?
(a) They want to lighten their load.
(b) They want to become beautiful.
(c) They want to add it to the world.
(d) They want to see if it exists.
14. What does Scarry use a cube to prove?
(a) Being well rounded.
(b) Opposing sides making a whole.
(c) Symmetry with exclusion.
(d) One idea havign six faces.
15. What is the third phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Mid-Century writers.
(b) Baroque writers.
(c) Contemporary writers.
(d) Classic philosophers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry try to include in her writing?
2. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
3. What realm does beauty live in now according to Scarry?
4. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
5. What is the last kind of perception described in the book?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)