|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does an onlooker of beauty often wish?
(a) To enhance their own lives.
(b) To stay there a little longer.
(c) To create something as beautiful.
(d) To trade places with the beautiful being.
2. What is the second phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Classic philosophers.
(b) Mid-Century writers.
(c) Baroque writers.
(d) Contemporary writers.
3. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
4. Why can't poems be harmed?
(a) They are inanimate.
(b) They are full of life.
(c) They are eternal.
(d) They are creations.
5. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(c) None of these.
6. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
7. What realm does beauty live in now according to Scarry?
(a) The Literary.
(b) The Real.
(c) The Imaginative.
(d) The Dream.
8. What part of life did the demotion of beauty affect the most?
(a) Family life.
9. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
(a) It provides opposition.
(b) It doesn't detract from beauty.
(c) It lowers the standards.
(d) It allows the maker practice.
10. What does beauty unseen improve?
(a) The mystery of the world.
(b) God's love.
(c) The possibilities of the next generation.
(d) Our self interest.
11. What term is defined with both beauty and justice?
12. What comes from perfect justice?
(a) Perfect rendering.
(b) Perfect beauty.
(c) Perfect equality.
(d) Perfect creation.
13. What implications are investigated in the section on being fair?
(a) Legal implication.
(b) None of these.
(c) Religious implications.
(d) Moral implications.
14. Those who wanted to banish beauty wanted to keep beauty out of ___________.
(a) Main stream media.
(b) Academic Conversations.
(c) Political Campaigns.
(d) Religious Practices.
15. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say a bad vase lends value to?
2. What do unharmed poems prove?
3. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
4. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. What mid-century writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)