|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that all things aspire to equality?
2. Those who wanted to banish beauty wanted to keep beauty out of ___________.
(a) Academic Conversations.
(b) Main stream media.
(c) Political Campaigns.
(d) Religious Practices.
3. Who wanted to banish beauty in the 20th Century?
(a) Ugly people.
4. What classic philosopher did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. What kind of argument was used when Scarry described what beauty could not do?
(a) Elemental argument.
(b) Negative argument.
(c) Positive argument.
(d) Persuasive argument.
6. What is uneven in the world?
(b) All of these.
7. What about beauty did those wanting to banish it say was destructive?
(a) All of these.
(b) People's attention on it.
(c) People's gaze on it.
(d) People's striving for it.
8. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
(a) Not night.
(b) Not harmful.
(c) Not male.
(d) Not righteous.
9. What realm does beauty live in now according to Scarry?
(a) The Imaginative.
(b) The Dream.
(c) The Real.
(d) The Literary.
10. Who introduced the concept that led to the demotion of beauty?
11. What is the normal distinction between beauty and deity?
(a) That which motivates us and that which holds us back.
(b) That which compels us and that which calms us.
(c) That which feels natural and that which feels foreign.
(d) That which charms us and that which moves us.
12. What symbolizes social justice for Scarry?
(a) The stars.
(b) The earth.
(c) The moon.
(d) The sky.
13. What is every person seeking?
(d) All of these.
14. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
15. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
(a) Past complaints.
(b) Religious complaints.
(c) Jealous complaints.
(d) Political complaints.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty is compacted with ______________.
2. What kind of life does Scarry want to make beautiful?
3. What concept did Edmund Burke write about?
4. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
5. What country did the contemporary writer tell about?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)