|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
2. How are the complaints lodged against beauty described?
(a) All of these.
3. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
(a) Motivational Speaker.
4. What concept did Edmund Burke write about?
(a) The Utopia.
(b) The caste system.
(c) The equality.
(d) The sublime.
5. Why do some people claim beauty is not earned?
(a) Some people don't desire it.
(b) Some people are born with it.
(c) It is too easily obtained.
(d) It is too subjective.
6. What kind of argument was used when Scarry described what beauty could not do?
(a) Negative argument.
(b) Positive argument.
(c) Elemental argument.
(d) Persuasive argument.
7. Why do people seek out beauty?
(a) They want to become beautiful.
(b) They want to see if it exists.
(c) They want to add it to the world.
(d) They want to lighten their load.
8. In what field was beauty taboo when this book was written?
(b) All of these.
9. What does Scarry try to include in her writing?
10. Who wanted to banish beauty in the 20th Century?
(c) Ugly people.
11. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The love between others.
(b) The care of all.
(c) The creation of more.
(d) The replication of beauty.
12. What does the vulnerable person who admires beauty risk?
(a) Having no privacy.
(b) Becoming attached.
(c) Being rejected.
(d) Giving up secrets.
13. What do unharmed poems prove?
(a) Beauty is not bad.
(b) Beauty is not harmful.
(c) Beauty is not mortal.
(d) Beauty is not always the same.
14. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
(a) The rain.
(b) The clouds.
(c) The sky.
(d) The weather.
15. Who says that beauty puts us in touch with our bodies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
2. What is the normal distinction between beauty and deity?
3. What is the only place where beauty can possibly be bad?
4. What does Scarry use a cube to prove?
5. Why can't poems be harmed?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)