|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The love between others.
(b) The creation of more.
(c) The care of all.
(d) The replication of beauty.
2. What is the only place where beauty can possibly be bad?
(a) In humans.
(b) In memories.
(c) In nature.
(d) In religion.
3. Why can't poems be harmed?
(a) They are creations.
(b) They are eternal.
(c) They are inanimate.
(d) They are full of life.
4. What does Scarry like about the term with the dual meaning?
(a) It leaves room for error.
(b) It has symmetry.
(c) It is always changing.
(d) It proves her point.
5. What does the vulnerable person who admires beauty risk?
(a) Giving up secrets.
(b) Having no privacy.
(c) Becoming attached.
(d) Being rejected.
6. What part of life did the demotion of beauty affect the most?
(d) Family life.
7. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
(a) They want to distract themselves.
(b) They want a purpose.
(c) They want to see if it exists.
(d) They want to own it.
8. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
9. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
10. What did Andreas write about?
11. How does Scarry describe her explanations of beauty?
12. What was the profession of the friend of Scarry's who doubted her ideas?
13. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
14. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
(a) It is incoherent.
(b) It is plausible.
(c) It is ineffective.
(d) It is dangerous.
15. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
(a) Its metaphysical qualities.
(b) Its educational qualities.
(c) Its good effects.
(d) Its widespread diversity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that beauty removes us from our bodies?
2. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
3. What is the first kind of perception described by Scarry?
4. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. What kind of pressure does beauty cause?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)