|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduced the concept that led to the demotion of beauty?
2. Who said that all things aspire to equality?
3. Where does Scarry say the desire for social good manifests itself?
(a) In the mind.
(b) As an object.
(c) On paper.
(d) In communities.
4. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The creation of more.
(b) The love between others.
(c) The care of all.
(d) The replication of beauty.
6. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
7. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
8. Which of these terms has a dual meaning?
9. What specific plat type does Scarry refer to when talking about gardens?
10. What realm does beauty live in now according to Scarry?
(a) The Literary.
(b) The Dream.
(c) The Imaginative.
(d) The Real.
11. Why do people seek out beauty?
(a) They want to become beautiful.
(b) They want to add it to the world.
(c) They want to lighten their load.
(d) They want to see if it exists.
12. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
(a) It lowers the standards.
(b) It allows the maker practice.
(c) It provides opposition.
(d) It doesn't detract from beauty.
13. Those who wanted to banish beauty wanted to keep beauty out of ___________.
(a) Academic Conversations.
(b) Political Campaigns.
(c) Main stream media.
(d) Religious Practices.
14. How did Scarry's doubtful friend study her ideas about beauty?
(a) He looked at both sides.
(b) He compared it with his own works.
(c) He read it over the space of a year.
(d) He read them forwards and backwards.
15. How does Scarry describe her explanations of beauty?
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty was demoted from ______________.
2. What does Scarry like about the term with the dual meaning?
3. What is the second phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
4. What term is defined with both beauty and justice?
5. What do unharmed poems prove?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)