|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mid-century writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
2. What does Scarry say about the notions of those who wanted to banish beauty?
(a) They are showing their weaknesses.
(b) They are unfounded.
(c) They are contradictory.
(d) They are half truths.
3. What implications are investigated in the section on being fair?
(a) None of these.
(b) Legal implication.
(c) Moral implications.
(d) Religious implications.
4. What does beauty give us access to do?
(a) Seek better things.
(b) Be distracted from evil.
(c) Feel alive.
(d) Find love.
5. What does an onlooker of beauty often wish?
(a) To trade places with the beautiful being.
(b) To create something as beautiful.
(c) To enhance their own lives.
(d) To stay there a little longer.
6. What part of life did the demotion of beauty affect the most?
(a) Family life.
7. What country did the contemporary writer tell about?
8. What kind of life does Scarry want to make beautiful?
(a) Spiritual life.
(b) Exterior life.
(c) Interior life.
(d) Existential life.
9. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
10. What do unharmed poems prove?
(a) Beauty is not mortal.
(b) Beauty is not bad.
(c) Beauty is not harmful.
(d) Beauty is not always the same.
11. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(b) None of these.
12. What is every person seeking?
(d) All of these.
13. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
14. What does Scarry say confirms the life of gardens?
(a) Helping plants reproduce.
(b) Admiring their beauty.
(c) Pulling weeds.
(d) Caring for the plants there.
15. What did Scarry salute?
(a) Continued existence.
(c) Philosophers who loved religion.
(d) Countries centered around beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who wanted to banish beauty wanted to keep beauty out of ___________.
2. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
3. What classic philosopher did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
4. What is the only place where beauty can possibly be bad?
5. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)