|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the third phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Contemporary writers.
(b) Baroque writers.
(c) Classic philosophers.
(d) Mid-Century writers.
2. What is Scarry's hope for the next generation?
(a) They appreciate beauty.
(b) They they understand her words.
(c) They find true justice.
(d) They reinstate beauty into religion.
3. What concept did Edmund Burke write about?
(a) The caste system.
(b) The sublime.
(c) The equality.
(d) The Utopia.
4. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Mid-Century writers.
(b) Contemporary writers.
(c) Baroque writers.
(d) Classic philosophers.
5. What led to beauty being trapped in a particular realm?
(a) The poems written about it.
(b) Its demotion.
(c) People changing its ideas.
(d) The negative views about it.
6. Who says that beauty puts us in touch with our bodies?
7. What was the profession of the friend of Scarry's who doubted her ideas?
8. What does Scarry like about the term with the dual meaning?
(a) It is always changing.
(b) It proves her point.
(c) It has symmetry.
(d) It leaves room for error.
9. What kind of argument was used when Scarry described what beauty could not do?
(a) Positive argument.
(b) Negative argument.
(c) Persuasive argument.
(d) Elemental argument.
10. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
11. What do unharmed poems prove?
(a) Beauty is not mortal.
(b) Beauty is not harmful.
(c) Beauty is not bad.
(d) Beauty is not always the same.
12. Where does Scarry say the desire for social good manifests itself?
(a) On paper.
(b) As an object.
(c) In communities.
(d) In the mind.
13. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
(a) They want to own it.
(b) They want to distract themselves.
(c) They want a purpose.
(d) They want to see if it exists.
14. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
(a) It is dangerous.
(b) It is ineffective.
(c) It is plausible.
(d) It is incoherent.
15. What can never be harmful?
(a) Giving pleasure to others.
(b) Being beautiful.
(c) Seeking for beautiful things.
(d) Reading about beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say confirms the life of gardens?
2. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
3. What is NOT always found with beauty?
4. What does Scarry use a cube to prove?
5. What about beauty did those wanting to banish it say was destructive?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)