|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't poems be harmed?
(a) They are inanimate.
(b) They are creations.
(c) They are full of life.
(d) They are eternal.
2. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
(a) They want a purpose.
(b) They want to own it.
(c) They want to see if it exists.
(d) They want to distract themselves.
3. Who introduced the concept that led to the demotion of beauty?
4. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
(a) The clouds.
(b) The sky.
(c) The rain.
(d) The weather.
5. What does beauty urge people to do in a good way?
6. What did those who wanted to banish beauty think was wrong with it?
(a) It was distracting.
(b) It was useless.
(c) It was unfairly distributed.
(d) It was destructive.
7. What does the vulnerable person who admires beauty risk?
(a) Giving up secrets.
(b) Becoming attached.
(c) Being rejected.
(d) Having no privacy.
8. What classic philosopher did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
9. What specific plat type does Scarry refer to when talking about gardens?
10. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The care of all.
(b) The love between others.
(c) The creation of more.
(d) The replication of beauty.
11. What is the final phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Mid-Century writers.
(b) Classic philosophers.
(c) Baroque writers.
(d) Contemporary writers.
12. What is uneven in the world?
(d) All of these.
13. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
14. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
15. What kind of pressure does beauty cause?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
2. What can never be harmful?
3. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
4. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
5. What led to beauty being trapped in a particular realm?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)