|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
(a) Religious complaints.
(b) Jealous complaints.
(c) Past complaints.
(d) Political complaints.
2. What is the third phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Mid-Century writers.
(b) Baroque writers.
(c) Contemporary writers.
(d) Classic philosophers.
3. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
(a) National potential.
(b) Global potential.
(c) Human potential.
(d) Personal potential.
4. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. What does Scarry try to include in her writing?
6. What kind of pressure does beauty cause?
7. Where does Scarry say the desire for social good manifests itself?
(a) In the mind.
(b) On paper.
(c) In communities.
(d) As an object.
8. What started the demotion of beauty?
(a) The printing of the Bible.
(b) The fall of Rome.
(c) The change in power distribution.
(d) The introduction of the sublime.
9. Scarry's doubtful friend agreed with the idea that ________________.
(a) People needed beauty to survive.
(b) Beauty brought about good.
(c) Beauty and justice needed balance.
(d) People were better with beauty.
10. What is the normal distinction between beauty and deity?
(a) That which motivates us and that which holds us back.
(b) That which compels us and that which calms us.
(c) That which feels natural and that which feels foreign.
(d) That which charms us and that which moves us.
11. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
(a) Motivational Speaker.
12. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
(a) Its good effects.
(b) Its widespread diversity.
(c) Its educational qualities.
(d) Its metaphysical qualities.
13. What is uneven in the world?
(b) All of these.
14. What does beauty unseen improve?
(a) God's love.
(b) Our self interest.
(c) The possibilities of the next generation.
(d) The mystery of the world.
15. What comes from perfect justice?
(a) Perfect beauty.
(b) Perfect equality.
(c) Perfect rendering.
(d) Perfect creation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
2. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
3. What is a God impervious to according to Scarry?
4. What was the profession of the friend of Scarry's who doubted her ideas?
5. What is Scarry's hope for the next generation?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)