|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
(a) Past complaints.
(b) Political complaints.
(c) Jealous complaints.
(d) Religious complaints.
2. What does beauty give us access to do?
(a) Seek better things.
(b) Find love.
(c) Feel alive.
(d) Be distracted from evil.
3. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
4. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. What does Scarry like about the term with the dual meaning?
(a) It is always changing.
(b) It proves her point.
(c) It has symmetry.
(d) It leaves room for error.
6. Scarry's doubtful friend agreed with the idea that ________________.
(a) Beauty brought about good.
(b) Beauty and justice needed balance.
(c) People needed beauty to survive.
(d) People were better with beauty.
7. What did Euripides describe in detail?
(a) Assembly halls.
8. What does beauty unseen improve?
(a) The possibilities of the next generation.
(b) Our self interest.
(c) The mystery of the world.
(d) God's love.
9. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
(a) It is incoherent.
(b) It is ineffective.
(c) It is plausible.
(d) It is dangerous.
10. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
(a) It is marked by what it cannot do.
(b) It is not detailed enough.
(c) It is not given credit for its good.
(d) It is too detailed.
11. What country did the contemporary writer tell about?
12. Where does Scarry say the desire for social good manifests itself?
(a) On paper.
(b) In communities.
(c) In the mind.
(d) As an object.
13. Why do some people claim beauty is not earned?
(a) It is too subjective.
(b) It is too easily obtained.
(c) Some people don't desire it.
(d) Some people are born with it.
14. Who said that all things aspire to equality?
15. What is the first kind of perception described by Scarry?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
2. What is a God impervious to according to Scarry?
3. What specific plat type does Scarry refer to when talking about gardens?
4. Those who wanted to banish beauty wanted to keep beauty out of ___________.
5. What did those who wanted to banish beauty think was wrong with it?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)