Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
(a) Its good effects.
(b) Its educational qualities.
(c) Its widespread diversity.
(d) Its metaphysical qualities.
2. What can never be harmful?
(a) Seeking for beautiful things.
(b) Giving pleasure to others.
(c) Reading about beauty.
(d) Being beautiful.
3. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
4. What led to beauty being trapped in a particular realm?
(a) People changing its ideas.
(b) Its demotion.
(c) The poems written about it.
(d) The negative views about it.
5. What did Andreas write about?
6. What comes from perfect justice?
(a) Perfect creation.
(b) Perfect equality.
(c) Perfect beauty.
(d) Perfect rendering.
7. What does beauty urge people to do in a good way?
8. What is the only place where beauty can possibly be bad?
(a) In humans.
(b) In memories.
(c) In nature.
(d) In religion.
9. What does Scarry like about the term with the dual meaning?
(a) It proves her point.
(b) It is always changing.
(c) It has symmetry.
(d) It leaves room for error.
10. What is the third phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Classic philosophers.
(b) Baroque writers.
(c) Mid-Century writers.
(d) Contemporary writers.
11. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
(a) It is not given credit for its good.
(b) It is not detailed enough.
(c) It is marked by what it cannot do.
(d) It is too detailed.
12. What is the first kind of perception described by Scarry?
13. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
14. Why do people seek out beauty?
(a) They want to see if it exists.
(b) They want to become beautiful.
(c) They want to lighten their load.
(d) They want to add it to the world.
15. What concept did Edmund Burke write about?
(a) The caste system.
(b) The sublime.
(c) The Utopia.
(d) The equality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say a bad vase lends value to?
2. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
3. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
4. What does the vulnerable person who admires beauty risk?
5. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)