|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is every person seeking?
(d) All of these.
2. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
(a) Human potential.
(b) Personal potential.
(c) National potential.
(d) Global potential.
3. What did Euripides describe in detail?
(a) Assembly halls.
4. What does Scarry say about the notions of those who wanted to banish beauty?
(a) They are unfounded.
(b) They are half truths.
(c) They are contradictory.
(d) They are showing their weaknesses.
5. What is the final phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Baroque writers.
(b) Mid-Century writers.
(c) Classic philosophers.
(d) Contemporary writers.
6. How did Scarry's doubtful friend study her ideas about beauty?
(a) He looked at both sides.
(b) He read them forwards and backwards.
(c) He read it over the space of a year.
(d) He compared it with his own works.
7. What is the first kind of perception described by Scarry?
8. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
(a) Not harmful.
(b) Not righteous.
(c) Not male.
(d) Not night.
9. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
10. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
(a) It provides opposition.
(b) It doesn't detract from beauty.
(c) It lowers the standards.
(d) It allows the maker practice.
11. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
(a) Political complaints.
(b) Jealous complaints.
(c) Past complaints.
(d) Religious complaints.
12. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
13. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
(a) Its metaphysical qualities.
(b) Its widespread diversity.
(c) Its educational qualities.
(d) Its good effects.
14. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
(a) It is not detailed enough.
(b) It is not given credit for its good.
(c) It is marked by what it cannot do.
(d) It is too detailed.
15. What is Scarry's hope for the next generation?
(a) They they understand her words.
(b) They reinstate beauty into religion.
(c) They find true justice.
(d) They appreciate beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led to beauty being trapped in a particular realm?
2. Which of these terms has a dual meaning?
3. What does beauty give us access to do?
4. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. What about beauty did those wanting to banish it say was destructive?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)