|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Contemporary writers.
(b) Mid-Century writers.
(c) Classic philosophers.
(d) Baroque writers.
2. What country did the contemporary writer tell about?
3. Who wanted to banish beauty in the 20th Century?
(d) Ugly people.
4. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
(a) It allows the maker practice.
(b) It lowers the standards.
(c) It doesn't detract from beauty.
(d) It provides opposition.
5. What does beauty urge people to do in a good way?
6. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
7. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
(a) Not righteous.
(b) Not harmful.
(c) Not male.
(d) Not night.
8. What is the normal distinction between beauty and deity?
(a) That which motivates us and that which holds us back.
(b) That which compels us and that which calms us.
(c) That which charms us and that which moves us.
(d) That which feels natural and that which feels foreign.
9. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
(a) Global potential.
(b) Personal potential.
(c) National potential.
(d) Human potential.
10. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
11. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Mid-Century writers.
(b) Contemporary writers.
(c) Baroque writers.
(d) Classic philosophers.
12. What about beauty did those wanting to banish it say was destructive?
(a) All of these.
(b) People's gaze on it.
(c) People's attention on it.
(d) People's striving for it.
13. Why can't poems be harmed?
(a) They are inanimate.
(b) They are creations.
(c) They are eternal.
(d) They are full of life.
14. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The care of all.
(b) The love between others.
(c) The replication of beauty.
(d) The creation of more.
15. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of life did the demotion of beauty affect the most?
2. What does beauty give us access to do?
3. Why do some people claim beauty is not earned?
4. What did Scarry salute?
5. Beauty is compacted with ______________.
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)