|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that beauty puts us in touch with our bodies?
2. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
3. What does Scarry try to include in her writing?
4. What mid-century writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
6. Where does Scarry say the desire for social good manifests itself?
(a) As an object.
(b) In the mind.
(c) On paper.
(d) In communities.
7. What is every person seeking?
(d) All of these.
8. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Baroque writers.
(b) Classic philosophers.
(c) Contemporary writers.
(d) Mid-Century writers.
9. Who said that all things aspire to equality?
10. What does Scarry say a bad vase lends value to?
(a) The flowers in the vase.
(b) Good vases.
(c) Other works of the maker.
(d) The maker of the vase.
11. How did Scarry's doubtful friend study her ideas about beauty?
(a) He read it over the space of a year.
(b) He compared it with his own works.
(c) He read them forwards and backwards.
(d) He looked at both sides.
12. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The love between others.
(b) The replication of beauty.
(c) The care of all.
(d) The creation of more.
13. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
(a) It is marked by what it cannot do.
(b) It is not detailed enough.
(c) It is too detailed.
(d) It is not given credit for its good.
14. What is uneven in the world?
(c) All of these.
15. What did Scarry salute?
(a) Continued existence.
(b) Philosophers who loved religion.
(d) Countries centered around beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say confirms the life of gardens?
2. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
3. Which of these terms has a dual meaning?
4. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
5. What is the only place where beauty can possibly be bad?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)