|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A vacation.
(b) A book.
(c) A painting.
(d) A dream.
2. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
(a) All of these.
(c) The truth.
3. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
(a) He donated his profits.
(b) He copied others.
(c) He never sought for acclaim.
(d) He created what he wanted.
4. What is the normal distinction between beauty and deity?
(a) That which motivates us and that which holds us back.
(b) That which feels natural and that which feels foreign.
(c) That which compels us and that which calms us.
(d) That which charms us and that which moves us.
5. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(d) None of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say confirms the life of gardens?
2. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
3. Who said that all things aspire to equality?
4. What implications are investigated in the section on being fair?
5. What does the vulnerable person who admires beauty risk?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)