|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of pressure does beauty cause?
2. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
3. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
(b) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
(c) She saw beauty in other trees.
(d) All of these.
4. Who wanted to banish beauty in the 20th Century?
(c) Ugly people.
5. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
(a) It doesn't detract from beauty.
(b) It provides opposition.
(c) It lowers the standards.
(d) It allows the maker practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did those who wanted to banish beauty think was wrong with it?
2. Who wrote about Odysseus?
3. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
4. Beauty was demoted from ______________.
5. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)