|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
(a) Agreeable opinions.
(c) Cultural differences.
(d) Happy memories.
2. Who wrote poems about mistakes in beauty?
(a) John Donne.
(b) Robert Frost.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
3. What classic philosopher did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
4. Where does Scarry say the desire for social good manifests itself?
(a) In communities.
(b) In the mind.
(c) As an object.
(d) On paper.
5. What is the first phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Mid-Century writers.
(b) Classic philosophers.
(c) Baroque writers.
(d) Contemporary writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
2. Who was Wittgenstein?
3. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
4. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
5. What do unharmed poems prove?
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)