|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say is our major limitation in seeing beauty?
(a) We do not remember past lives.
(b) We have to start from the beginning.
(c) We are burdened with physical needs.
(d) We rely on our sight.
2. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is new.
(b) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
3. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
(a) In landscapes.
(b) In generalities.
(c) In particulars.
(d) In ideas.
4. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
(d) All of these.
5. What does the vulnerable person who admires beauty risk?
(a) Becoming attached.
(b) Having no privacy.
(c) Giving up secrets.
(d) Being rejected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
2. What was Proust's occupation?
3. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
4. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
5. What is uneven in the world?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)