|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
(a) Not righteous.
(b) Not night.
(c) Not harmful.
(d) Not male.
2. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
3. How did Scarry's doubtful friend study her ideas about beauty?
(a) He read it over the space of a year.
(b) He read them forwards and backwards.
(c) He compared it with his own works.
(d) He looked at both sides.
4. What started the demotion of beauty?
(a) The change in power distribution.
(b) The printing of the Bible.
(c) The fall of Rome.
(d) The introduction of the sublime.
5. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
(a) He held grudges.
(b) He had children.
(c) He was an artist.
(d) He was famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say validates the existence of some things?
2. Why was Voroccio important to Da Vinci?
3. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
4. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
5. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)