|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Scarry say education helps beauty?
(a) It brings out the inner beauty.
(b) It teaches other to be lovely.
(c) It stops people from settling for ugliness.
(d) It has continual creation.
2. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
3. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
(a) The pliancy of consciousness.
(b) The need for religion.
(c) The worsening of morals.
(d) The strange directional challenges.
4. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) She saw beauty in other trees.
(b) All of these.
(c) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
(d) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
5. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
(a) She is confused by them.
(b) She disagrees.
(c) She agrees with only parts of them.
(d) She agrees with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only place where beauty can possibly be bad?
2. What classic philosopher did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
3. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
4. What started the demotion of beauty?
5. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)