|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
(d) The arts.
2. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
3. What was Matisse's occupation?
4. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
(a) Not night.
(b) Not righteous.
(c) Not male.
(d) Not harmful.
5. What is the normal distinction between beauty and deity?
(a) That which compels us and that which calms us.
(b) That which feels natural and that which feels foreign.
(c) That which motivates us and that which holds us back.
(d) That which charms us and that which moves us.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
2. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
3. What does Scarry try to include in her writing?
4. What implications are investigated in the section on being fair?
5. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)