|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
(a) Her strength.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her gentility.
(d) Her nudity.
2. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
(a) He was an artist.
(b) He was famous.
(c) He had children.
(d) He held grudges.
3. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
(a) They want to see if it exists.
(b) They want a purpose.
(c) They want to distract themselves.
(d) They want to own it.
4. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
5. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
(a) The pliancy of consciousness.
(b) The worsening of morals.
(c) The strange directional challenges.
(d) The need for religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
2. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
3. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
4. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)