|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Wrong.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of moment does Scarry say follows most errors?
(a) A moment of clarity.
(b) A moment of revelation.
(c) A moment of decision.
(d) A moment of confusion.
2. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
(b) She saw a rose die.
(c) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(d) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
3. Where does Scarry look for beauty?
(a) All of these.
4. What did Plato say really caused children?
(a) The banal need for beauty.
(b) The desire of men to see themselves.
(c) The act of beauty replicating itself.
(d) The repercussions of pride.
5. What is a motif?
(a) A repeated pattern.
(b) A theme.
(c) A kind of poem.
(d) A way of expression.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
2. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
3. Who was Wittgenstein?
4. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)