|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It has seasons.
(b) It gets old.
(c) It symbolizes bad things.
(d) It doesn't belong everywhere.
2. What did Scarry salute?
(a) Countries centered around beauty.
(b) Continued existence.
(c) Philosophers who loved religion.
3. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
4. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) Natural settings.
(c) Patriotic ideals.
(d) The humanities.
5. What did those who wanted to banish beauty think was wrong with it?
(a) It was distracting.
(b) It was destructive.
(c) It was useless.
(d) It was unfairly distributed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an onlooker of beauty often wish?
2. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
3. Those who wanted to banish beauty wanted to keep beauty out of ___________.
4. What does Scarry like about the term with the dual meaning?
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)