|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
(a) Those who are afraid.
(b) Those who hoard beauty.
(c) Those who have no beauty.
(d) Those who are selfish.
2. What does beauty give us access to do?
(a) Be distracted from evil.
(b) Seek better things.
(c) Feel alive.
(d) Find love.
3. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
(a) It doesn't detract from beauty.
(b) It provides opposition.
(c) It lowers the standards.
(d) It allows the maker practice.
4. What kind of pressure does beauty cause?
5. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
(a) In ideas.
(b) In generalities.
(c) In landscapes.
(d) In particulars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that beauty puts us in touch with our bodies?
2. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
3. In what field was beauty taboo when this book was written?
4. What kind of argument was used when Scarry described what beauty could not do?
5. What symbolizes social justice for Scarry?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)