|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It doesn't belong everywhere.
(b) It has seasons.
(c) It symbolizes bad things.
(d) It gets old.
2. Why do people seek out beauty?
(a) They want to see if it exists.
(b) They want to lighten their load.
(c) They want to add it to the world.
(d) They want to become beautiful.
3. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Philosophical errors.
(b) Intellectual errors.
(c) Religious error.
(d) Visual errors.
4. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
(a) Past complaints.
(b) Jealous complaints.
(c) Political complaints.
(d) Religious complaints.
5. What symbolizes social justice for Scarry?
(a) The moon.
(b) The stars.
(c) The sky.
(d) The earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say confirms the life of gardens?
2. What is the second phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
3. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
4. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
5. Who was Wittgenstein?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)