|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On Beauty and Being Fair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
(a) It provides opposition.
(b) It doesn't detract from beauty.
(c) It lowers the standards.
(d) It allows the maker practice.
2. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
(b) She agrees.
(c) She disagrees.
(d) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
3. What did Plato say really caused children?
(a) The desire of men to see themselves.
(b) The repercussions of pride.
(c) The act of beauty replicating itself.
(d) The banal need for beauty.
4. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
(a) To combat evil.
(b) To show truth.
(c) To tell the future.
(d) To improve society.
5. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
(a) Her strength.
(b) Her gentility.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her nudity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Scarry salute?
2. Beauty was demoted from ______________.
3. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
4. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. Where did Matisse do most of his work?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)