|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zane have to put the souls into?
2. What is the only thing the wealth stone is good at finding?
3. In what part of the school is the young dying boy?
4. Where does Zane have to deliver the baby's soul?
5. What is the television news about?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Zane show he could be perfect in his role as Death?
2. How does Zane help the drowning man in Chapter 4?
3. Why does Zane end up regretting his deal with the shopkeeper?
4. Why does the Old Man remind Zane of his mother?
5. Why can even babies have souls balanced towards evil?
6. How does Zane get together a performance for the old man?
7. How can Zane get to his mansion in Purgatory?
8. In what way does the theme of death hang over the first chapter?
9. What does Luna say is the difference between white and black magic?
10. What does Zane confess to Luna in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Anthony's novel tackle 1980s issues? How important is it for even fantasy books to examine issues relevant to the time period?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)