|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jimmy?
2. Where did Godbee get the idea to fill the baby food jars?
3. Godbee shows Martha a letter that Martha wrote when she was _____________ years old.
4. Who has written the note to Martha?
5. What is Martha's favorite restaurant when they visit Godbee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Olive's journal statement about wanting to go to "a real ocean" foreshadow?
2. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
3. What do Jimmy and Martha do when they spend the day together at the beach?
4. Why is Martha especially sad at the thought of having to leave Godbee?
5. What is the symbolism of the sea monster in the game Martha plays with Lucy on the beach?
6. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
7. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
8. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
9. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
10. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Kevin Henkes' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
OLIVE'S OCEAN is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)