|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jimmy kiss Martha?
2. Martha asks Godbee for advice on what to do when she's feeling ________________.
3. Martha re-reads Olive's journal page, focusing on the statement about wanting to go to ____________________.
4. Who does Martha think of after learning that Jimmy videotaped their kiss?
5. Why is Martha especially sad to leave Godbee this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
2. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
3. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
4. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
5. What does Martha do when she sees Jimmy holding hands with a girl and walking towards her on the beach?
6. What fact startles Martha when she speaks about Olive as Jimmy films her?
7. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
8. What comment does Alice make to Martha that pleases her after Martha brings Lucy home from the beach?
9. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
10. How does Godbee feel about her colored water experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Godbee. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)