|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task does Martha have when she stays behind at Godbee's house?
2. With what has Godbee filled all the baby food jars?
3. Why does Alice tell Martha that Martha will make a good mother one day?
4. What does Martha realize as she paints on the sidewalk?
5. What does Vince say about Jimmy during dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the sea monster in the game Martha plays with Lucy on the beach?
2. What does Martha do when she sees Jimmy holding hands with a girl and walking towards her on the beach?
3. Why is Martha especially sad at the thought of having to leave Godbee?
4. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
5. How does Martha feel as she holds Jimmy's hand and they walk down the beach?
6. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
7. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
8. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
9. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
10. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Godbee. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)