|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in #118 say to Martha?
2. What does Alice warn Martha about before the family goes out to dinner?
3. How does Vince feel about spending time with Jimmy and his video camera?
4. What place does the family visit two days before leaving Godbee's house?
5. How does Martha decide to handle the situation of the video kiss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is The Benton Place?
2. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
3. How does Martha decide to act after learning that Jimmy filmed their kiss?
4. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
5. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
6. What is the symbolism of the sea monster in the game Martha plays with Lucy on the beach?
7. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
8. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
9. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
10. What do Jimmy and Martha do when they spend the day together at the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Godbee? Is it true that a person is more inclined to listen to a person who he/she cares about? What will Martha always recall about her experiences during this summer at Godbee's house?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
What is Godbee's greatest gift to her grandchildren? Why is Godbee especially close to Martha? How will Martha manage after the inevitable event of Godbee's death? Has Godbee tried to prepare her? Explain.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)