|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vince eat for a snack during the game?
2. What color is the bedroom Martha uses when visiting Godbee?
3. What does Martha find in the trash at the house where Olive used to live?
4. How old is Jimmy?
5. What does Martha say about Olive as Jimmy records her statements?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha decide to act after learning that Jimmy filmed their kiss?
2. Why is Martha so upset about the bet that Jimmy made with the other boys?
3. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
4. What fact startles Martha when she speaks about Olive as Jimmy films her?
5. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
6. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
7. How does Martha keep Lucy occupied while she carries out the first part of her plan?
8. Who is the new character Martha introduces into her story about Olive and what is the event she describes?
9. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
10. What comment does Alice make to Martha that pleases her after Martha brings Lucy home from the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loss takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of loss in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dennis. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)