|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Martha and Jimmy build on the beach?
2. Who lives in the house where Olive used to live?
3. For which holiday does Martha plan to return to visit Godbee?
4. What does Martha say about Olive as Jimmy records her statements?
5. Martha has a dream in which she is surrounded by huge blocks of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jimmy and Martha do when they spend the day together at the beach?
2. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
3. What topic does Martha speak about as Jimmy films her?
4. Why is Martha especially sad at the thought of having to leave Godbee?
5. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
6. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
7. Why does Vince say that he didn't mention the kissing tape to Martha?
8. What comment does Alice make to Martha that pleases her after Martha brings Lucy home from the beach?
9. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
10. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply OLIVE'S OCEAN. What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
What is Godbee's greatest gift to her grandchildren? Why is Godbee especially close to Martha? How will Martha manage after the inevitable event of Godbee's death? Has Godbee tried to prepare her? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Kevin Henkes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)