|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vince eat for a snack during the game?
2. What question does Jimmy ask Martha when they are in the stables?
3. What happens to Martha as she waits for Jimmy and a girl to pass by on the beach?
4. Why does Martha decide to give up on the story about Olive?
5. Who has written the note to Martha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
2. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
3. Why does Godbee fill baby food jars with colored water?
4. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
5. What comment does Alice make to Martha that pleases her after Martha brings Lucy home from the beach?
6. What fact startles Martha when she speaks about Olive as Jimmy films her?
7. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
8. What is the symbolism of the sea monster in the game Martha plays with Lucy on the beach?
9. How does Martha keep Lucy occupied while she carries out the first part of her plan?
10. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dennis. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Loss takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of loss in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Martha. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)