|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Martha re-reads Olive's journal page, focusing on the statement about wanting to go to ____________________.
2. What does Godbee tell Martha she does when she is feeling sad?
3. When does Tate finally get to Godbee's house?
4. What does Martha yell when she returns to her house?
5. What is Jimmy's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is The Benton Place?
2. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
3. What does Olive's journal statement about wanting to go to "a real ocean" foreshadow?
4. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
5. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
6. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
7. Why is Martha especially sad at the thought of having to leave Godbee?
8. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
9. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
10. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Olive. Even though she did not appear in the story, her character was a critical role. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Olive's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Martha. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)