|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Martha find a note addressed to her?
2. Why can Martha not keep the kiss a secret?
3. What does the note in #152 say?
4. Why does Jimmy kiss Martha?
5. In what state does Martha's family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
2. What does Olive's journal statement about wanting to go to "a real ocean" foreshadow?
3. How does Martha decide to act after learning that Jimmy filmed their kiss?
4. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
5. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
6. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
7. Why does Vince say that he didn't mention the kissing tape to Martha?
8. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
9. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
10. What does Martha do when she sees Jimmy holding hands with a girl and walking towards her on the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Kevin Henkes' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Kevin Henkes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)