|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Martha find a note addressed to her?
2. What does Godbee tell Martha she does when she is feeling sad?
3. Godbee shows Martha a letter that Martha wrote when she was _____________ years old.
4. Why does Jimmy kiss Martha?
5. What does Lucy notice about Martha when Martha returns to free her from the sand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
2. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
3. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
4. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
5. Who is the new character Martha introduces into her story about Olive and what is the event she describes?
6. How does Martha keep Lucy occupied while she carries out the first part of her plan?
7. How does Martha decide to act after learning that Jimmy filmed their kiss?
8. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
9. What comment does Alice make to Martha that pleases her after Martha brings Lucy home from the beach?
10. What is the symbolism of the sea monster in the game Martha plays with Lucy on the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OLIVE'S OCEAN is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Jimmy? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Martha always recall about Jimmy and how his cruelty taught her an important lesson.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)