|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha tell her father when they arrive home?
2. What does Godbee tell Martha she does when she is feeling sad?
3. What do Martha and Godbee agree to not do anymore?
4. Why does Jimmy kiss Martha?
5. What frightens Martha at the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Olive's journal statement about wanting to go to "a real ocean" foreshadow?
2. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
3. What topic does Martha speak about as Jimmy films her?
4. How does Martha keep Lucy occupied while she carries out the first part of her plan?
5. Who is the new character Martha introduces into her story about Olive and what is the event she describes?
6. Why is Martha so upset about the bet that Jimmy made with the other boys?
7. Why does Vince say that he didn't mention the kissing tape to Martha?
8. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
9. How does Martha feel as she holds Jimmy's hand and they walk down the beach?
10. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply OLIVE'S OCEAN. What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)