|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Vince want to play with Martha and Godbee in Chapter 47?
2. What has stained Godbee's hands?
3. What does Martha yell when she returns to her house?
4. Who does Martha think of after learning that Jimmy videotaped their kiss?
5. What does Martha realize when she is talking about Olive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
2. Why is Martha especially sad at the thought of having to leave Godbee?
3. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
4. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
5. What does Martha do when she sees Jimmy holding hands with a girl and walking towards her on the beach?
6. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
7. Why does Godbee fill baby food jars with colored water?
8. How does Godbee feel about her colored water experiment?
9. What does Olive's journal statement about wanting to go to "a real ocean" foreshadow?
10. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
OLIVE'S OCEAN is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)