|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Godbee shows Martha a letter that Martha wrote when she was _____________ years old.
2. What does Tate give to Martha in a bag?
3. What does Martha realize as she paints on the sidewalk?
4. What task does Martha have when she stays behind at Godbee's house?
5. What is notable about the blocks in #163?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha keep Lucy occupied while she carries out the first part of her plan?
2. Why does Vince say that he didn't mention the kissing tape to Martha?
3. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
4. What fact startles Martha when she speaks about Olive as Jimmy films her?
5. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
6. What is The Benton Place?
7. What topic does Martha speak about as Jimmy films her?
8. Why is Martha especially sad at the thought of having to leave Godbee?
9. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
10. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha is not the only one who grows up this summer. Vince does too. Explain how Vince matures over the summer in his actions and decisions he makes.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Olive. Even though she did not appear in the story, her character was a critical role. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Olive's character in the novel?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)