|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice ask to dinner in Chapter 36?
2. What question does Jimmy ask Martha when they are in the stables?
3. What does Martha realize when she is talking about Olive?
4. What does Martha do to Lucy at the beach?
5. Where did Godbee get the idea to fill the baby food jars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
2. How does Martha decide to act after learning that Jimmy filmed their kiss?
3. How does Godbee feel about her colored water experiment?
4. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
5. What is The Benton Place?
6. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
7. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
8. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
9. What fact startles Martha when she speaks about Olive as Jimmy films her?
10. What do Jimmy and Martha do when they spend the day together at the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Olive. Even though she did not appear in the story, her character was a critical role. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Olive's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
OLIVE'S OCEAN is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)