|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which holiday does Martha plan to return to visit Godbee?
2. What is a random thought that comes to Martha as she thinks in a poetic mindset?
3. Who does Alice ask to dinner in Chapter 36?
4. How old is Jimmy?
5. What does the P.S. on the note inside the bag in #170 say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the new character Martha introduces into her story about Olive and what is the event she describes?
2. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
3. How does Godbee feel about her colored water experiment?
4. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
5. What fact startles Martha when she speaks about Olive as Jimmy films her?
6. How does Martha feel as she holds Jimmy's hand and they walk down the beach?
7. What topic does Martha speak about as Jimmy films her?
8. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
9. How does Martha decide to act after learning that Jimmy filmed their kiss?
10. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)