|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Martha and Godbee agree to not do anymore?
2. What does the note in #152 say?
3. How does Martha feel about the video kiss that Jimmy taped?
4. What has stained Godbee's hands?
5. What gave Godbee the idea to put colored water into the baby food jars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fact startles Martha when she speaks about Olive as Jimmy films her?
2. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
3. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
4. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
5. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
6. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
7. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
8. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
9. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
10. Why is Martha especially sad at the thought of having to leave Godbee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Martha is not the only one who grows up this summer. Vince does too. Explain how Vince matures over the summer in his actions and decisions he makes.
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Jimmy? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Martha always recall about Jimmy and how his cruelty taught her an important lesson.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)