|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vince feel about spending time with Jimmy and his video camera?
2. How does Martha feel about Vince's comment about Jimmy in #117?
3. What does Martha write on the sidewalk in front of Olive's old house, using a paintbrush and the ocean water?
4. What question does Jimmy ask Martha when they are in the stables?
5. What does Lucy notice about Martha when Martha returns to free her from the sand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
2. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
3. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
4. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
5. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
6. How does Martha keep Lucy occupied while she carries out the first part of her plan?
7. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
8. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
9. What topic does Martha speak about as Jimmy films her?
10. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)