|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Vince want to play with Martha and Godbee in Chapter 47?
2. Godbee shows Martha a letter that Martha wrote when she was _____________ years old.
3. What does Vince say about Jimmy during dinner?
4. Why does Martha decide to give up on the story about Olive?
5. What gave Godbee the idea to put colored water into the baby food jars?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Godbee feel about her colored water experiment?
2. What topic does Martha speak about as Jimmy films her?
3. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
4. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
5. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
6. What is The Benton Place?
7. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
8. What is the symbolism of the sea monster in the game Martha plays with Lucy on the beach?
9. What does Martha do when she sees Jimmy holding hands with a girl and walking towards her on the beach?
10. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)