|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Martha's family live?
2. What does Martha say about Olive as Jimmy records her statements?
3. What does Godbee tell Martha about good-byes?
4. Why can Martha not keep the kiss a secret?
5. What is Martha's favorite restaurant when they visit Godbee?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha decide to act after learning that Jimmy filmed their kiss?
2. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
3. What is The Benton Place?
4. What fact startles Martha when she speaks about Olive as Jimmy films her?
5. What comment does Alice make to Martha that pleases her after Martha brings Lucy home from the beach?
6. How does Martha feel as she holds Jimmy's hand and they walk down the beach?
7. Why is Martha so upset about the bet that Jimmy made with the other boys?
8. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
9. Why does Vince say that he didn't mention the kissing tape to Martha?
10. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Kevin Henkes' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Kevin Henkes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply OLIVE'S OCEAN. What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)