|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the jars of colored water does Lucy like best?
2. Martha has a dream in which she is surrounded by huge blocks of _________________.
3. What does Godbee tell Martha she does when she is feeling sad?
4. When does Tate finally get to Godbee's house?
5. Why does Martha decide to give up on the story about Olive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha decide to act after learning that Jimmy filmed their kiss?
2. Why does Godbee fill baby food jars with colored water?
3. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
4. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
5. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
6. How does Godbee feel about her colored water experiment?
7. Why does Vince say that he didn't mention the kissing tape to Martha?
8. What topic does Martha speak about as Jimmy films her?
9. Why does Jimmy ask Martha if she has ever been kissed? What are the circumstances in which Jimmy kisses Martha?
10. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Olive. Even though she did not appear in the story, her character was a critical role. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Olive's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Martha. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)