|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What project is Jimmy Manning working on?
2. Where does Martha's mother work?
3. Even though Lucy is ready to go swimming first thing in the morning, what does Martha opt to do?
4. Martha tells Godbee that she plans to write a book about _____________________.
5. What nickname did Martha secretly refer to her mother as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Martha know Olive?
2. What could Godbee mean when she tells Martha that this could be their last summer together?
3. How did Godbee get that nickname?
4. Why does Martha step into the street with her back turned at the spot where Olive was killed?
5. What are a couple of conveniences that Martha has at her house but that Godbee does not have?
6. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
7. What is important to Olive's mother about what Martha must have done at some time?
8. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
9. Which of the Manning boys has Martha always liked? Which one is she attracted to this summer?
10. What things did Olive and Martha seem to have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Kevin Henkes' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)