|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Godbee suggest that she and Martha do every day of the summer?
2. What does the woman in #4 tell Martha about Olive?
3. What was Olive's final wish in her diary?
4. What does Godbee suggest that she and Martha do when she can tell that Martha's mind isn't on the game?
5. What secret does Martha tell Godbee in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Godbee get that nickname?
2. Which of the Manning boys has Martha always liked? Which one is she attracted to this summer?
3. What does Martha learn about Olive by reading the first page of her journal?
4. How did Godbee end the story she wrote about a girl who moved far from the ocean?
5. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
6. How did Martha know Olive?
7. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
8. Who is Godbee?
9. What is behind Martha's decision to wear bright orange t-shirts all the time?
10. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kevin Henkes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Olive. Even though she did not appear in the story, her character was a critical role. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Olive's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)