|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Martha secretly refer to her mother as?
2. What was an important wish for Olive?
3. What does Godbee suggest that Martha spend some time doing?
4. What does Olive's mom know about her daughter?
5. Who overhears Martha say that she has a crush on the boy in #85?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
2. What morning ritual do Martha and Lucy have?
3. What is important to Olive's mother about what Martha must have done at some time?
4. What does Martha reveal to Godbee about her family and why does she regret saying it?
5. What does Godbee suggest that she and Martha do every day during Martha's visit?
6. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
7. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
8. What could Godbee mean when she tells Martha that this could be their last summer together?
9. How did Godbee end the story she wrote about a girl who moved far from the ocean?
10. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Godbee? Is it true that a person is more inclined to listen to a person who he/she cares about? What will Martha always recall about her experiences during this summer at Godbee's house?
Essay Topic 2
Loss takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of loss in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)