|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Martha know Olive?
2. When does Martha get a "glittery feeling"?
3. Martha recalls Olive as being ___________________.
4. Who is the woman at Martha's front door at the beginning of the story?
5. What information does Godbee share with Martha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Martha recall about Olive's death?
2. What does Martha reveal to Godbee about her family and why does she regret saying it?
3. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
4. What is the name and topic of Jimmy's video?
5. Who is Martha's mother and what is her job?
6. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
7. How did Godbee get that nickname?
8. What things did Olive and Martha seem to have in common?
9. What does Martha learn about Olive by reading the first page of her journal?
10. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Godbee? Is it true that a person is more inclined to listen to a person who he/she cares about? What will Martha always recall about her experiences during this summer at Godbee's house?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Olive. Even though she did not appear in the story, her character was a critical role. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Olive's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)