|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha write on the sidewalk when she takes Lucy for a ride in the stroller?
2. What secret does Martha share about herself after breakfast?
3. Who does Martha hope will call her in Chapter 23?
4. What street was Martha riding on when she was hit on her bicycle?
5. Who is Martha's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which one of the Manning boys likes Martha?
2. How does Martha begin her story about Olive?
3. How did Martha know Olive?
4. What could Godbee mean when she tells Martha that this could be their last summer together?
5. Why does Martha step into the street with her back turned at the spot where Olive was killed?
6. What does Martha reveal to Godbee about her family and why does she regret saying it?
7. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
8. Who is Vince?
9. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
10. What is important to Olive's mother about what Martha must have done at some time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Godbee? Is it true that a person is more inclined to listen to a person who he/she cares about? What will Martha always recall about her experiences during this summer at Godbee's house?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply OLIVE'S OCEAN. What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)