|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mode of transportation does Olive's mother use to leave Martha's house?
2. What will Martha decide to take home with her from her visit to Godbee's house?
3. What does Martha read in Chapter 3?
4. What writing assignment did the teacher make on the day after Martha embarrassed herself by saying that she liked Kyle?
5. In the book she begins to write, Martha creates Olive's character to be a/an _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a couple of conveniences that Martha has at her house but that Godbee does not have?
2. What is the name and topic of Jimmy's video?
3. How did Godbee get that nickname?
4. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
5. Who is Vince?
6. What does Martha recall about Olive's death?
7. How did Godbee end the story she wrote about a girl who moved far from the ocean?
8. What is behind Martha's decision to wear bright orange t-shirts all the time?
9. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
10. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kevin Henkes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)