|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What street was Martha riding on when she was hit on her bicycle?
2. What does Godbee suggest that Martha spend some time doing?
3. Martha loves to visit her grandmother who lives near the _____________________.
4. What does Lucy loudly demand that makes her father leave the house?
5. What does Godbee suggest that she and Martha do when she can tell that Martha's mind isn't on the game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which one of the Manning boys likes Martha?
2. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
3. What are a couple of conveniences that Martha has at her house but that Godbee does not have?
4. Which of the Manning boys has Martha always liked? Which one is she attracted to this summer?
5. What is important to Olive's mother about what Martha must have done at some time?
6. Who is Godbee?
7. What is behind Martha's decision to wear bright orange t-shirts all the time?
8. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
9. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
10. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Jimmy? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Martha always recall about Jimmy and how his cruelty taught her an important lesson.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dennis. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Kevin Henkes' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)