|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Martha feel the need to make the most of her time with Goodbee?
2. What mode of transportation does Olive's mother use to leave Martha's house?
3. Which Manning brother had Martha liked on previous visits?
4. Who is Vince?
5. Who is Martha's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is behind Martha's decision to wear bright orange t-shirts all the time?
2. How did Martha know Olive?
3. Which of the Manning boys has Martha always liked? Which one is she attracted to this summer?
4. Who is Godbee?
5. Who is the woman who shows up at Martha Boyle's front door at the beginning of the story and what does the woman give to Martha?
6. Why does Martha step into the street with her back turned at the spot where Olive was killed?
7. How does Martha begin her story about Olive?
8. Which one of the Manning boys likes Martha?
9. What does Martha learn about Olive by reading the first page of her journal?
10. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Godbee? Is it true that a person is more inclined to listen to a person who he/she cares about? What will Martha always recall about her experiences during this summer at Godbee's house?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)