|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha's grandmother's name?
2. Reading Olive's journal page makes Martha feel ________________.
3. Martha recalls Olive as being ___________________.
4. What does Lucy loudly demand that makes her father leave the house?
5. What is the content of Jimmy's video?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha begin her story about Olive?
2. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
3. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
4. How does Martha feel as she holds Jimmy's hand and they walk down the beach?
5. Who is Vince?
6. How did Godbee get that nickname?
7. Why does Godbee fill baby food jars with colored water?
8. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
9. How did Godbee end the story she wrote about a girl who moved far from the ocean?
10. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is Godbee's greatest gift to her grandchildren? Why is Godbee especially close to Martha? How will Martha manage after the inevitable event of Godbee's death? Has Godbee tried to prepare her? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Olive. Even though she did not appear in the story, her character was a critical role. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Olive's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)