|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Martha loves to visit her grandmother who lives near the _____________________.
2. Who invites Martha to dinner in Chapter 28?
3. Which Manning brother is Martha becoming interested in during this visit?
4. What is Martha's last name?
5. Which type of books did Olive like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is behind Martha's decision to wear bright orange t-shirts all the time?
2. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
3. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
4. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
5. What is important to Olive's mother about what Martha must have done at some time?
6. Who is Martha's mother and what is her job?
7. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
8. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
9. What does Martha recall about Olive's death?
10. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Martha. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply OLIVE'S OCEAN. What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)