|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book she begins to write, Martha creates Olive's character to be a/an _____________________.
2. What was an important wish for Olive?
3. Where did Olive want to live?
4. What nickname does Martha call her grandmother?
5. Vince's friends who live near Godbee are the ______________ boys.
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
2. Why does Martha decide to visit Godbee again at Christmas time?
3. Who is the new character Martha introduces into her story about Olive and what is the event she describes?
4. What do Jimmy and Martha do when they spend the day together at the beach?
5. How does Martha begin her story about Olive?
6. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
7. How did Martha know Olive?
8. Why does Martha think of Olive as she thinks about the kissing video?
9. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
10. What is the traditional game played during visits to Godbee's house and why is the first game night of this visit not very successful?
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)