|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who overhears Martha say that she has a crush on the boy in #85?
2. Which Manning brother is Martha becoming interested in during this visit?
3. What does Martha write on the sidewalk when she takes Lucy for a ride in the stroller?
4. What does Olive's mom know about her daughter?
5. What color is the item in #5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Godbee suggest that she and Martha do every day during Martha's visit?
2. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
3. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
4. What is the traditional game played during visits to Godbee's house and why is the first game night of this visit not very successful?
5. Who is Godbee?
6. What morning ritual do Martha and Lucy have?
7. How did Godbee get that nickname?
8. Which of the Manning boys has Martha always liked? Which one is she attracted to this summer?
9. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
10. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)