|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reading Olive's journal page makes Martha feel ________________.
2. Who is Dennis?
3. What does Godbee suggest that Martha spend some time doing?
4. What nickname does Martha call her grandmother?
5. Where does Alice take Lucy during the game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
2. Who is the woman who shows up at Martha Boyle's front door at the beginning of the story and what does the woman give to Martha?
3. What morning ritual do Martha and Lucy have?
4. Which one of the Manning boys likes Martha?
5. Who is Vince?
6. How did Godbee end the story she wrote about a girl who moved far from the ocean?
7. How does Martha begin her story about Olive?
8. Why does Martha step into the street with her back turned at the spot where Olive was killed?
9. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
10. What is the traditional game played during visits to Godbee's house and why is the first game night of this visit not very successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Godbee? Is it true that a person is more inclined to listen to a person who he/she cares about? What will Martha always recall about her experiences during this summer at Godbee's house?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)