|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Martha call her grandmother?
2. What was Olive's last name?
3. The page from Olive's journal indicates that Olive wanted to be a _________________.
4. What nickname did Martha secretly refer to her mother as?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the Manning brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the woman who shows up at Martha Boyle's front door at the beginning of the story and what does the woman give to Martha?
2. Who is Godbee?
3. Why does Martha oppose the assignment made by her teacher about embarrassing moments?
4. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
5. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
6. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
7. What is the name and topic of Jimmy's video?
8. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
9. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
10. Which one of the Manning boys likes Martha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What is Godbee's greatest gift to her grandchildren? Why is Godbee especially close to Martha? How will Martha manage after the inevitable event of Godbee's death? Has Godbee tried to prepare her? Explain.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)