|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Goodbee tells Martha that she had once written a short story about a girl who moved far from the ocean and took ____________________ with her.
2. What color hair does Martha have?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the Manning brothers?
4. What is Martha's grandmother's name?
5. Who is the woman at Martha's front door at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Alice make to Martha that pleases her after Martha brings Lucy home from the beach?
2. How does Martha keep Lucy occupied while she carries out the first part of her plan?
3. What is the name and topic of Jimmy's video?
4. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
5. What topic does Martha speak about as Jimmy films her?
6. Why is Martha so upset about the bet that Jimmy made with the other boys?
7. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
8. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
9. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
10. What morning ritual do Martha and Lucy have?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Martha is not the only one who grows up this summer. Vince does too. Explain how Vince matures over the summer in his actions and decisions he makes.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,711 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)