Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha's grandmother's name?
2. Reading Olive's journal page makes Martha feel ________________.
3. Martha recalls Olive as being ___________________.
4. What does Lucy loudly demand that makes her father leave the house?
5. What is the content of Jimmy's video?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Martha begin her story about Olive?
2. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
3. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
4. How does Martha feel as she holds Jimmy's hand and they walk down the beach?
5. Who is Vince?
6. How did Godbee get that nickname?
7. Why does Godbee fill baby food jars with colored water?
8. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
9. How did Godbee end the story she wrote about a girl who moved far from the ocean?
10. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply OLIVE'S OCEAN. What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)