|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Olive's mother say to Martha as she leaves Martha's house?
2. Who is Martha's mother?
3. What project is Jimmy Manning working on?
4. Whose initials does Martha write in the sand in Chapter 28?
5. Which Manning brother had Martha liked on previous visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of the Manning boys has Martha always liked? Which one is she attracted to this summer?
2. Who is Vince?
3. How does Martha begin her story about Olive?
4. Why does Martha step into the street with her back turned at the spot where Olive was killed?
5. Who is Godbee?
6. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
7. What is the traditional game played during visits to Godbee's house and why is the first game night of this visit not very successful?
8. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
9. What does Martha recall about Olive's death?
10. Why does Martha oppose the assignment made by her teacher about embarrassing moments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Kevin Henkes' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dennis. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)