|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Martha's school?
2. What was Olive's last name?
3. Which Manning brother had Martha liked on previous visits?
4. Martha says that it must have been awful for Olive to be _____________________.
5. Who is Martha alone with on the beach in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Godbee?
2. What things did Olive and Martha seem to have in common?
3. What morning ritual do Martha and Lucy have?
4. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
5. What are a couple of conveniences that Martha has at her house but that Godbee does not have?
6. How did Martha know Olive?
7. Why does Martha oppose the assignment made by her teacher about embarrassing moments?
8. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
9. How does Martha begin her story about Olive?
10. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Godbee? Is it true that a person is more inclined to listen to a person who he/she cares about? What will Martha always recall about her experiences during this summer at Godbee's house?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Loss takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of loss in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)