|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writing assignment did the teacher make on the day after Martha embarrassed herself by saying that she liked Kyle?
2. How old did Olive say she would be when she lived in the location in #22?
3. What silly rumor had Holly heard about Olive's death?
4. What does Martha tell Goodbee about her family?
5. What does Dennis bring with him when he does come home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
2. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
3. Who is Godbee?
4. How did Godbee get that nickname?
5. Why does Martha step into the street with her back turned at the spot where Olive was killed?
6. What morning ritual do Martha and Lucy have?
7. What does Olive's journal statement about wanting to go to "a real ocean" foreshadow?
8. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
9. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
10. Why is Martha especially sad at the thought of having to leave Godbee?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Olive. Even though she did not appear in the story, her character was a critical role. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Olive's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Alice. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Jimmy? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Martha always recall about Jimmy and how his cruelty taught her an important lesson.
This section contains 1,670 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)