|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy always insist on every morning?
2. Who does Martha focus on while speaking up in class?
3. In the book she begins to write, Martha creates Olive's character to be a/an _____________________.
4. What does Olive's mom know about her daughter?
5. What was Olive's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Martha recall about Olive's death?
2. Who is Vince?
3. What is the name and topic of Jimmy's video?
4. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
5. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
6. What does Martha reveal to Godbee about her family and why does she regret saying it?
7. How did Godbee end the story she wrote about a girl who moved far from the ocean?
8. How did Godbee get that nickname?
9. What is behind Martha's decision to wear bright orange t-shirts all the time?
10. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Godbee. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply OLIVE'S OCEAN. What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)