|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy always insist on every morning?
2. Where does Martha's mother work?
3. What does Jimmy film to be included in the "death" segment of his movie?
4. What is the weather like in Chapter 24?
5. What does Dennis' decision mean for the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Godbee suggest that she and Martha do every day during Martha's visit?
2. What is the traditional game played during visits to Godbee's house and why is the first game night of this visit not very successful?
3. Who is the woman who shows up at Martha Boyle's front door at the beginning of the story and what does the woman give to Martha?
4. What could Godbee mean when she tells Martha that this could be their last summer together?
5. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
6. Why does Martha oppose the assignment made by her teacher about embarrassing moments?
7. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
8. How does Martha begin her story about Olive?
9. What morning ritual do Martha and Lucy have?
10. Who is Godbee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha is not the only one who grows up this summer. Vince does too. Explain how Vince matures over the summer in his actions and decisions he makes.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dennis. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)