|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha tell Goodbee about her family?
2. Martha recalls Olive as being ___________________.
3. Who is Martha's mother?
4. Who is Martha's best friend?
5. When does Martha get a "glittery feeling"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
2. What could Godbee mean when she tells Martha that this could be their last summer together?
3. Which of the Manning boys has Martha always liked? Which one is she attracted to this summer?
4. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
5. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
6. What morning ritual do Martha and Lucy have?
7. How did Godbee end the story she wrote about a girl who moved far from the ocean?
8. Which one of the Manning boys likes Martha?
9. What is behind Martha's decision to wear bright orange t-shirts all the time?
10. Who is Vince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Olive. Even though she did not appear in the story, her character was a critical role. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Olive's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Godbee? Is it true that a person is more inclined to listen to a person who he/she cares about? What will Martha always recall about her experiences during this summer at Godbee's house?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)