|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of books did Olive like?
2. Who overhears Martha say that she has a crush on the boy in #85?
3. In her diary, who did Olive say was the nicest person in her class?
4. What nickname did Martha secretly refer to her mother as?
5. What does Lucy always insist on every morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Godbee?
2. Who is the woman who shows up at Martha Boyle's front door at the beginning of the story and what does the woman give to Martha?
3. What things did Olive and Martha seem to have in common?
4. What are a couple of conveniences that Martha has at her house but that Godbee does not have?
5. What does Godbee suggest that she and Martha do every day during Martha's visit?
6. How did Martha know Olive?
7. What could Godbee mean when she tells Martha that this could be their last summer together?
8. What is the traditional game played during visits to Godbee's house and why is the first game night of this visit not very successful?
9. What morning ritual do Martha and Lucy have?
10. Why does Martha oppose the assignment made by her teacher about embarrassing moments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of growing up. Identify at least two instances about growing up in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lucy. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Lucy's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)