|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dennis?
2. What game is played during every visit with Godbee?
3. Even though Lucy is ready to go swimming first thing in the morning, what does Martha opt to do?
4. What is Martha's grandmother's name?
5. In the book she begins to write, Martha creates Olive's character to be a/an _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What things did Olive and Martha seem to have in common?
2. Who is Vince?
3. What are a couple of conveniences that Martha has at her house but that Godbee does not have?
4. Which of the Manning boys has Martha always liked? Which one is she attracted to this summer?
5. Who is Martha's mother and what is her job?
6. How did Godbee get that nickname?
7. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
8. What is the next secret Martha reveals to Godbee regarding what she wants to be one day?
9. How does Martha show maturity by thinking of other people in her life?
10. What is behind Martha's decision to wear bright orange t-shirts all the time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Jimmy? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Martha always recall about Jimmy and how his cruelty taught her an important lesson.
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Martha learns from Godbee? Is it true that a person is more inclined to listen to a person who he/she cares about? What will Martha always recall about her experiences during this summer at Godbee's house?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)