|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy loudly demand that makes her father leave the house?
2. What street was Martha riding on when she was hit on her bicycle?
3. What does Martha read in Chapter 3?
4. What is the weather like in Chapter 24?
5. What does Dennis' decision mean for the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could Godbee mean when she tells Martha that this could be their last summer together?
2. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
3. Which one of the Manning boys likes Martha?
4. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
5. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
6. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
7. Who is Godbee?
8. What does Martha recall about Olive's death?
9. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
10. What does Martha learn about Olive by reading the first page of her journal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dennis. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Martha. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Kevin Henkes is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)