|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writing assignment did the teacher make on the day after Martha embarrassed herself by saying that she liked Kyle?
2. What is the content of Jimmy's video?
3. Which boy at school did Martha have a crush on?
4. Why is Olive's mother happy with Martha?
5. When does Martha get a "glittery feeling"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a couple of conveniences that Martha has at her house but that Godbee does not have?
2. What is the name and topic of Jimmy's video?
3. What announcement does Martha's father make to the family and what impact will it have on Martha?
4. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
5. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
6. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
7. Who is Vince?
8. Who is Godbee?
9. What secret does Godbee share with Martha as part of their first daily information sharing ritual?
10. Why does Martha step into the street with her back turned at the spot where Olive was killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OLIVE'S OCEAN is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in OLIVE'S OCEAN. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)