|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the jars of colored water does Lucy like best?
2. Who has written the note to Martha?
3. Why does Alice tell Martha that Martha will make a good mother one day?
(a) Because she is very patient with Lucy.
(b) Because she is very protective of those she loves.
(c) Because she has a playful spirit.
(d) Because she has a nurturing attitude.
4. Who is waiting on Godbee's porch when the family returns from dinner?
5. What has stained Godbee's hands?
(a) Furniture polish.
(c) Food coloring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Godbee tell Martha about good-byes?
2. What question does Jimmy ask Martha when they are in the stables?
3. What does Godbee tell Martha she does when she is feeling sad?
4. What does Martha realize when she is talking about Olive?
5. What frightens Martha at the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does Martha's slip in the water have on her?
2. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
3. What do Jimmy and Martha do when they spend the day together at the beach?
4. Why are Jimmy and Martha mad at a comment someone makes when they are holding hands?
5. What comment does Alice make to Martha that pleases her after Martha brings Lucy home from the beach?
6. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
7. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
8. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
9. What does Dennis tell Martha about carrying her when she was tired as a little girl and why is Martha wistful for those times?
10. Who is the new character Martha introduces into her story about Olive and what is the event she describes?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)