|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Martha especially sad to leave Godbee this time?
(a) She sees Godbee crying.
(b) She is afraid Godbee will die.
(c) She didn't get to spend enough time with her.
(d) She knows she won't be back next Summer.
2. What does Martha ask Godbee for In Chapter 49?
(a) A photo album.
(b) A head scarf.
(c) A recipe book.
(d) A baby food jar.
3. Why can Martha not keep the kiss a secret?
(a) Jimmy filmed it.
(b) Jimmy has a big mouth.
(c) A group of people saw them together.
(d) Vince will tell everybody.
4. What does Godbee say about the colored water in the jars?
(a) She needs bigger jars to get a better display.
(b) It's not as pretty as she had hoped.
(c) She is going to make some to give away to friends.
(d) She's going to make some for each window.
5. What does Martha say about Olive as Jimmy records her statements?
(a) Twelve is too young to die.
(b) She didn't know who she was.
(c) She was her best friend.
(d) She was a gawky girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice tell Martha that Martha will make a good mother one day?
2. What is Godbee doing in the dream she tells Martha about in Chapter 49?
3. How does Martha attempt to hide her embarrassment of the filmed kiss?
4. What does Lucy notice about Martha when Martha returns to free her from the sand?
5. What does Martha realize as she paints on the sidewalk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Olive's journal statement about wanting to go to "a real ocean" foreshadow?
2. What is the symbolism of Martha's painting Olive's name in ocean water on the hot sidewalk?
3. What is the content of the note that Tate leaves for Martha under Godbee's doormat.
4. How does Martha decide to act after learning that Jimmy filmed their kiss?
5. Why is Martha so conflicted when Dennis and Vince ask her to go with them to the Benton Place?
6. What is the first part of Martha's plan to be carried out at the beach?
7. Why is Lucy so upset after she is freed from the mound of sand?
8. What topic does Martha speak about as Jimmy films her?
9. Why is Martha so upset about the bet that Jimmy made with the other boys?
10. How does Godbee feel about her colored water experiment?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)