|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the book she begins to write, Martha creates Olive's character to be a/an _____________________.
2. What secret does Martha share about herself after breakfast?
(a) She has never kissed a boy.
(b) She likes to watch the stars at night.
(c) She cheated on a math test.
(d) She wants to be a writer.
3. Goodbee tells Martha that she had once written a short story about a girl who moved far from the ocean and took ____________________ with her.
(a) a bag of sand.
(c) a bottle of ocean water.
4. What does Martha write on the sidewalk when she takes Lucy for a ride in the stroller?
5. What does the woman in #4 tell Martha about Olive?
(a) She wrote music.
(b) She left a journal.
(c) She adopted kittens.
(d) She was a gymnast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Martha's little sister?
2. What does Martha read in Chapter 3?
3. What is Martha's grandmother's name?
4. How did Martha know Olive?
5. What color hair does Martha have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things did Olive and Martha seem to have in common?
2. How did Godbee end the story she wrote about a girl who moved far from the ocean?
3. What are a couple of conveniences that Martha has at her house but that Godbee does not have?
4. What is important to Olive's mother about what Martha must have done at some time?
5. Name all the Manning brothers and identify the project Jimmy is working on.
6. Which one of the Manning boys likes Martha?
7. What does Martha recall about Olive's death?
8. Which of the Manning boys has Martha always liked? Which one is she attracted to this summer?
9. Why does Martha step into the street with her back turned at the spot where Olive was killed?
10. What does Martha learn about Olive by reading the first page of her journal?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)