Short Essay Questions Key
1. Who is the woman who shows up at Martha Boyle's front door at the beginning of the story and what does the woman give to Martha?
2. What must Olive's mother know about her daughter regarding any friendship with Martha?
3. What is important to Olive's mother about what Martha must have done at some time?
4. What does Martha recall about Olive's death?
5. How did Martha know Olive?
6. What does Martha learn about Olive by reading the first page of her journal?
7. What wish is stated in Olive's journal regarding having Martha as a friend?
8. What things did Olive and Martha seem to have in common?
9. Who is Godbee?
10. Why does Martha step into the street with her back turned at the spot where Olive was killed?
11. What does Martha recall about a conversation she and her best friend Holly had about Olive's death?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)