|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do many infants die of while Oliver works for Mr. Sowerberry?
2. How much longer is the dying woman expected to live when she speaks with Mrs. Corney?
(a) A few minutes.
(b) A few days.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few weeks.
3. What does Mrs. Sowerberry do to Oliver when he threatens Noah one night after a lot of taunting?
(a) Kicks him out of the house.
(b) Sends him to jail.
(c) Locks him in the cellar.
(d) Sends him back to the workhouse.
4. Who is the first person Oliver meets when he gets to London?
(a) Mr. Bumble.
(b) Mr. Ranckle.
5. Who does Fagin tell about the botched robbery in hopes of assistance?
6. What is Noah proud of even though he is a charity case?
(a) He is learning a trade.
(b) He owns some land.
(c) He has parents.
(d) He is intelligent.
7. What happens to Oliver during his hearing?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He falls ill.
(d) He faints.
8. What is Fagin most worried about when he hears that Oliver is in jail?
(a) That he will forget everything Fagin taught him.
(b) That he won't come back when he gets out of jail.
(c) That he will die in prison because he is ill.
(d) That he will reveal where Fagin lives.
9. What does Mr. Bumble see on a sign when he first arrives in London after Oliver is taken to Fagin's house?
(a) A letter to Oliver from Mr. Brownlow.
(b) A reward sign for information about Oliver.
(c) A sign for witnesses in Oliver's trial.
(d) A picture of goods thought to be stolen by Oliver.
10. Who asks Mr. Bumble to send their love to Oliver in London before he leaves?
(a) Mrs. Mann.
(c) Mr. Sowerberry.
11. What does Mr. Bumble do to entertain himself while Mrs. Corney is away with the dying woman?
(a) Take a tour of her home.
(b) Read some of her books.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Take inventory of her possessions.
12. What does Oliver eat at Toby's house?
(a) A chicken casserole.
(b) A crust of bread.
(c) A mincemeat pie.
(d) A bowl of thin gruel.
13. Why does Bill put the wounded Oliver in the ditch after the attempted robbery?
(a) Oliver is too heavy.
(b) He doesn't want to be charged with Oliver's murder.
(c) He hoped the men would think Oliver was alone.
(d) He thought Oliver was already dead.
14. What does Oliver do when he sees Charley steal a man's handkerchief?
(a) He yells at Charley to stop.
(b) He tries to return it to the man.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He faints.
15. Where do Bill and Oliver eat dinner just before the big robbery?
(a) The side of the road.
(b) A fancy restaurant.
(c) A pub.
(d) An open market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver see Fagin looking at when he wakes up in Fagin's house for the first time?
2. What is Mrs. Corney about to do just before Mr. Bumble comes to visit her?
3. What does Oliver think Bill wants to do with him as they travel to the site of the big robbery?
4. Where does Oliver sleep when he lives with the Sowerberrys?
5. What is the name of the lady of the house that Oliver tries to rob?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)