|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Oliver sleep when he lives with the Sowerberrys?
(a) On the floor.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In the attic.
(d) By the coffins.
2. How old is Oliver when he is taken to the regular workhouse?
3. Why does Oliver decide to run away to London after leaving the Sowerberrys' house?
(a) He thinks he might find his mother there.
(b) He has always wanted to go there.
(c) There are jobs to be found there.
(d) It is large enough that Mr. Bumble won't find him there.
4. What are Noah and Charlotte doing when Mr. Bumble stops by to announce Sally's death to the Sowerberrys?
(a) Fighting and tearing up the house.
(b) Flirting and kissing.
(c) Planning to run away together.
(d) Stealing money from the Sowerberrys.
5. What does Mr. Giles fail to mention to his lady about Oliver the thief?
(a) He took nothing.
(b) He was one of a group.
(c) He is a child.
(d) He is wounded.
6. What does Fagin strike Oliver with when he tries to run away?
(a) His hand.
(b) A club.
(c) A book.
(d) A cane.
7. What could Mr. Giles be in trouble with the law for?
(a) Not reporting a robbery to the police.
(b) Keeping from his mistress Oliver's age.
(c) Shooting a child.
(d) Failing to catch the other robbers.
8. What is Bill doing to his dog when Fagin gives him his take from a recent robbery?
(a) Training it.
(b) Feeding it.
(c) Beating it.
(d) Petting it.
9. Who does Fagin get to force Oliver to cooperate while they are away at the next big robbery?
10. What does Oliver do when he realizes what he is expected to do?
(b) Sighs in relief.
11. Where do Bill and Oliver eat dinner just before the big robbery?
(a) A fancy restaurant.
(b) A pub.
(c) The side of the road.
(d) An open market.
12. What position does Mr. Bumble hope to fill once the man who currently works that position is dead?
(a) The administrator for punishment in the workhouse.
(b) The ambassador for the poor.
(c) The head of the workhouse.
(d) The tax collector of the paupers.
13. What do Charley and Dodger take from Oliver when he is brought back to Fagin's house?
(a) The books.
(b) The 5 pound note.
(c) The handkerchief given to him by Mr. Brownlow.
(d) His new clothes.
14. How do Bill and Oliver travel to the big robbery?
(d) Riding a cart.
15. What does Oliver wish to do during his first few days at Fagin's house?
(a) Find clues about his mother.
(b) Meet some more people.
(c) Get some fresh air.
(d) Get a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Sowerberry do to Oliver when he threatens Noah one night after a lot of taunting?
2. Who takes care of Oliver after his mother dies?
3. How is Rose related to the lady of the house?
4. How many men chase after Bill and Toby after the attempted robbery?
5. How much longer is the dying woman expected to live when she speaks with Mrs. Corney?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)