|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Bumble do to entertain himself while Mrs. Corney is away with the dying woman?
(a) Take a tour of her home.
(b) Take inventory of her possessions.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Read some of her books.
2. What does Mr. Bumble tell Mrs. Sowerberry was the cause of Oliver's bad behavior after Oliver's attack?
(a) Mocking and taunting.
(b) A fever.
(c) Sleep deprivation.
(d) Too much food.
3. How much longer is the dying woman expected to live when she speaks with Mrs. Corney?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few minutes.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few weeks.
4. What does Mr. Grimwig say to Mr. Brownlow about Oliver?
(a) He has had a hard life and will never recover from the harshness.
(b) He is dishonest and will escape at his first chance.
(c) He is a sweet and honest little thing.
(d) He will steal Mr. Brownlow blind.
5. Where is Oliver born?
(a) In a hospital.
(b) In a train.
(c) In a workhouse.
(d) On the streets.
6. How is Rose related to the lady of the house?
(a) Rose is her cousin.
(b) Rose is her daughter.
(c) Rose is her sister.
(d) Rose is her niece.
7. Where does Oliver think Dodger got the purses that he gives to Fagin on his first morning in Fagin's house?
(a) He stole them.
(b) He found them.
(c) He made them.
(d) He bought them.
8. What does Oliver think Bill wants to do with him as they travel to the site of the big robbery?
(a) Sell him as a slave.
(b) Murder him.
(c) Use him in a robbery.
(d) Torture him for information.
9. What is Bill doing to his dog when Fagin gives him his take from a recent robbery?
(a) Beating it.
(b) Training it.
(c) Petting it.
(d) Feeding it.
10. What does Fagin strike Oliver with when he tries to run away?
(a) A cane.
(b) His hand.
(c) A book.
(d) A club.
11. What is Mrs. Sowerberry's main complaint about children?
(a) They eat too much.
(b) They are unintelligent.
(c) They are too small.
(d) They are weak.
12. What does Oliver tell Rose and the doctor when he comes to after being treated for his wounds?
(a) His thought out apology.
(b) His life story.
(c) The story he was taught by Fagin to tell.
(d) What he would like to become.
13. What does Oliver admire when he starts to recover from his fever after the trial?
(a) A crystal chandelier.
(b) A lovely clock.
(c) A painting of a woman.
(d) The streets of London.
14. What does Oliver do when he realizes what he is expected to do?
(c) Sighs in relief.
15. What is Noah proud of even though he is a charity case?
(a) He has parents.
(b) He is intelligent.
(c) He is learning a trade.
(d) He owns some land.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away is London when Oliver decides to run away from Mr. Sowerberry's house?
2. Why does Noah taunt Oliver to the point of rage while they work together for the undertaker?
3. Where do Bill and Oliver eat dinner just before the big robbery?
4. What does Mr. Sowerberry do when he returns home and hears what has happened while he was gone?
5. Who gives Oliver his daily beatings while he is in solitary confinement?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)