|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fagin threaten to do to Oliver if he tries to run away again?
(a) Starve him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Send him back to jail.
(d) Whip him.
2. Why does Mr. Brownlow say that he removed the portrait that Oliver loves so much?
(a) It was sent out for restoration.
(b) He is getting ready to hang a different picture there.
(c) He was worried Oliver would harm it in some way.
(d) He didn't want it to bother Oliver.
3. What does Oliver do when he sees Charley steal a man's handkerchief?
(a) He yells at Charley to stop.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He tries to return it to the man.
(d) He faints.
4. What is the book about that Oliver is given while he waits for the big robbery to begin?
(a) Biblical stories for children.
(b) A handbook on torture.
(c) A gang of thieves who gets caught and hung.
(d) A history of criminals.
5. Who does Fagin decide to use in his next big robbery with Bill Sikes?
6. What does Mr. Giles fail to mention to his lady about Oliver the thief?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He took nothing.
(c) He is a child.
(d) He was one of a group.
7. What does Mr. Sowerberry dress Oliver up to do?
(a) Collect late payments.
(b) Attend funerals.
(c) Pick pockets.
(d) Sell coffins.
8. What could Mr. Giles be in trouble with the law for?
(a) Failing to catch the other robbers.
(b) Not reporting a robbery to the police.
(c) Shooting a child.
(d) Keeping from his mistress Oliver's age.
9. What does Mr. Grimwig say to Mr. Brownlow about Oliver?
(a) He will steal Mr. Brownlow blind.
(b) He has had a hard life and will never recover from the harshness.
(c) He is dishonest and will escape at his first chance.
(d) He is a sweet and honest little thing.
10. Where is Oliver born?
(a) On the streets.
(b) In a train.
(c) In a workhouse.
(d) In a hospital.
11. What does Noah tease Oliver about while they work together?
(a) His naivete.
(b) His tiny frame.
(c) His angelic face.
(d) His mother.
12. How does Charley plan to retire from working for Fagin one day soon?
(a) He keeps some money back before giving it to Fagin.
(b) He knows now where the good places to rob are located.
(c) Fagin pays him well.
(d) He plans to turn Fagin in and get a handsome reward.
13. Why is Oliver not sent to live with the man who is willing to take him in?
(a) Oliver was terrified of the man.
(b) The man had a criminal record.
(c) Oliver was too young for such menial labor.
(d) The man was not gainfully employed.
14. What is Mrs. Corney about to do just before Mr. Bumble comes to visit her?
(a) Have some tea.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Write him a letter.
(d) Make some bread.
15. Who gives Oliver his daily beatings while he is in solitary confinement?
(a) Mr. Bumble.
(b) Mr. Gamfield.
(c) Mr. Jones.
(d) Mr. Fagin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Bumble planning to go to court in London after Oliver is taken back to Fagin's house?
2. What is Fagin most worried about when he hears that Oliver is in jail?
3. What does Oliver find in every room of Fagin's house when he is locked in there all day?
4. Where does Toby leave Oliver after the botched robbery?
5. Who does Fagin get to force Oliver to cooperate while they are away at the next big robbery?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)