|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Sowerberry's occupation?
(a) Coal Shoveler.
(b) Workhouse Administrator.
(d) Chimney Sweep.
2. What is the name of the magistrate who hears Oliver's case?
(a) Mr. Fang.
(b) Mr. Brownlow.
(c) Mr. Bumble.
(d) Mr. Frances.
3. What are Fagin and the others doing when Toby comes to his house after the botched robbery?
(a) Playing cards.
(b) Discussing what to do with all the new money.
(c) Packing their things.
(d) Planning another robbery.
4. Why does Rose beg the lady of the house not to prosecute Oliver?
(a) He is only a boy.
(b) She believes his story.
(c) She wants to avoid a scandal in the nighborhood.
(d) She feels he has had punishment enough.
5. Which of the following people is NOT present when Toby comes to Fagin's house after the botched robbery?
6. What does Mr. Bumble do to entertain himself while Mrs. Corney is away with the dying woman?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Take a tour of her home.
(c) Take inventory of her possessions.
(d) Read some of her books.
7. How much is the parish willing to offer to someone to take Oliver off their hands?
(a) 10 pounds.
(b) 15 pounds.
(c) 20 pounds.
(d) 5 pounds.
8. Why does Bill put the wounded Oliver in the ditch after the attempted robbery?
(a) He thought Oliver was already dead.
(b) He doesn't want to be charged with Oliver's murder.
(c) Oliver is too heavy.
(d) He hoped the men would think Oliver was alone.
9. What does Oliver tell Rose and the doctor when he comes to after being treated for his wounds?
(a) What he would like to become.
(b) The story he was taught by Fagin to tell.
(c) His thought out apology.
(d) His life story.
10. What does Mr. Bumble see on a sign when he first arrives in London after Oliver is taken to Fagin's house?
(a) A reward sign for information about Oliver.
(b) A letter to Oliver from Mr. Brownlow.
(c) A sign for witnesses in Oliver's trial.
(d) A picture of goods thought to be stolen by Oliver.
11. What do Dodger and Charley tease Oliver about when Nancy brings him back to Fagin's house?
(a) His confused looks.
(b) His pale face.
(c) His clothes.
(d) His time in jail.
12. What is the sentence given to Oliver after his hearing?
(a) A fine of $50.
(b) 3 months hard labor.
(c) 2 years in the workhouse.
(d) 1 year in prison.
13. How does Charley plan to retire from working for Fagin one day soon?
(a) Fagin pays him well.
(b) He knows now where the good places to rob are located.
(c) He plans to turn Fagin in and get a handsome reward.
(d) He keeps some money back before giving it to Fagin.
14. What does Oliver see Fagin looking at when he wakes up in Fagin's house for the first time?
(a) Stacks of money.
(c) A picture of a lovely woman.
(d) A set of wrenches.
15. What does Mr. Grimwig say to Mr. Brownlow about Oliver?
(a) He has had a hard life and will never recover from the harshness.
(b) He is dishonest and will escape at his first chance.
(c) He will steal Mr. Brownlow blind.
(d) He is a sweet and honest little thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Mr. Bumble hope to fill once the man who currently works that position is dead?
2. Why does Oliver decide to run away to London after leaving the Sowerberrys' house?
3. What is the name of Bill Sikes' girlfriend?
4. What does Mr. Bumble plan to do when he reaches the Sowerberry home after Oliver's attack?
5. What does Mr. Bumble do during his visit with Mrs. Corney that makes her scream?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)