|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Noah taunt Oliver to the point of rage while they work together for the undertaker?
(a) He feels that he is of a higher status.
(b) He has to work harder because of Oliver's mistakes.
(c) He is jealous of how much Mr. Sowerberry likes Oliver.
(d) He hates having to work with an orphan.
2. What was Dodger most worried about when Oliver was taken away after the theft of the handkerchief?
(a) The cost of the handkerchief.
(b) Oliver's safety.
(c) Whether anyone saw him at the scene of the crime.
(d) Fagin's reaction.
3. What does Oliver's mother do just before she dies?
(a) Names him.
(b) Kisses him.
(c) Writes the name of his father.
4. What does Noah tease Oliver about while they work together?
(a) His angelic face.
(b) His naivete.
(c) His tiny frame.
(d) His mother.
5. Who does Nancy pretend Oliver is when she sees him on the street?
(a) An errant servant.
(b) A thief.
(c) A cousin.
(d) Her runaway brother.
6. Why is Mr. Bumble planning to go to court in London after Oliver is taken back to Fagin's house?
(a) To petition a raise in his monthly stipend.
(b) To be a witness at a hearing for Oliver.
(c) To bring Oliver back to their parish.
(d) To transfer two sick children to a different parish.
7. What does Fagin threaten to do to Oliver if he tries to run away again?
(a) Send him back to jail.
(b) Starve him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Whip him.
8. What does Oliver see Fagin looking at when he wakes up in Fagin's house for the first time?
(a) A set of wrenches.
(b) Stacks of money.
(c) A picture of a lovely woman.
9. Who takes care of Oliver after his mother dies?
(a) His aunt.
(b) A foster care center.
(c) His father.
(d) The nurse.
10. What could Mr. Giles be in trouble with the law for?
(a) Failing to catch the other robbers.
(b) Not reporting a robbery to the police.
(c) Keeping from his mistress Oliver's age.
(d) Shooting a child.
11. What is Mrs. Sowerberry's main complaint about children?
(a) They are too small.
(b) They are unintelligent.
(c) They are weak.
(d) They eat too much.
12. How does the dying woman tell Mrs. Corney her secret?
(a) Screams it in fits of pain.
(b) Sings it.
(c) Whispers in her ear.
(d) Writes it on paper.
13. What is the name of the magistrate who hears Oliver's case?
(a) Mr. Bumble.
(b) Mr. Brownlow.
(c) Mr. Fang.
(d) Mr. Frances.
14. What does Mr. Bumble do during his visit with Mrs. Corney that makes her scream?
(a) Drops his cup of tea.
(b) Talks badly about the children at the workhouse.
(c) Points at a rat.
(d) Kisses her.
15. Why is Oliver not sent to live with the man who is willing to take him in?
(a) Oliver was too young for such menial labor.
(b) The man was not gainfully employed.
(c) The man had a criminal record.
(d) Oliver was terrified of the man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fagin strike Oliver with when he tries to run away?
2. What does Oliver admire when he starts to recover from his fever after the trial?
3. What does the dying woman need to tell Mrs. Corney?
4. What do Dodger and Charley tease Oliver about when Nancy brings him back to Fagin's house?
5. What does Mr. Bumble see on a sign when he first arrives in London after Oliver is taken to Fagin's house?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)