|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oliver tell Rose and the doctor when he comes to after being treated for his wounds?
(a) The story he was taught by Fagin to tell.
(b) What he would like to become.
(c) His life story.
(d) His thought out apology.
2. What is Fagin most worried about when he hears that Oliver is in jail?
(a) That he won't come back when he gets out of jail.
(b) That he will die in prison because he is ill.
(c) That he will reveal where Fagin lives.
(d) That he will forget everything Fagin taught him.
3. What is the sentence given to Oliver after his hearing?
(a) 1 year in prison.
(b) 2 years in the workhouse.
(c) 3 months hard labor.
(d) A fine of $50.
4. What does Mr. Bumble see on a sign when he first arrives in London after Oliver is taken to Fagin's house?
(a) A picture of goods thought to be stolen by Oliver.
(b) A letter to Oliver from Mr. Brownlow.
(c) A reward sign for information about Oliver.
(d) A sign for witnesses in Oliver's trial.
5. What does Mrs. Sowerberry do to Oliver when he threatens Noah one night after a lot of taunting?
(a) Kicks him out of the house.
(b) Sends him back to the workhouse.
(c) Sends him to jail.
(d) Locks him in the cellar.
6. What does Mr. Bumble do to entertain himself while Mrs. Corney is away with the dying woman?
(a) Take inventory of her possessions.
(b) Read some of her books.
(c) Take a tour of her home.
(d) Take a nap.
7. What does Oliver think Bill wants to do with him as they travel to the site of the big robbery?
(a) Murder him.
(b) Use him in a robbery.
(c) Torture him for information.
(d) Sell him as a slave.
8. What is Noah proud of even though he is a charity case?
(a) He has parents.
(b) He owns some land.
(c) He is learning a trade.
(d) He is intelligent.
9. What does Mr. Sowerberry do when he returns home and hears what has happened while he was gone?
(a) Sends Mr. Bumble away.
(b) Flogs Oliver.
(c) Kicks Oliver out of his house.
(d) Yells at his wife.
10. Who gives Oliver his daily beatings while he is in solitary confinement?
(a) Mr. Jones.
(b) Mr. Gamfield.
(c) Mr. Fagin.
(d) Mr. Bumble.
11. What does Fagin say he can do with Oliver if he is still alive?
(a) Repent of his ways.
(b) Send him on his way an honest man.
(c) Make him a thief.
(d) Find someone to adopt him.
12. Who summons Mrs. Corney while she is visiting with Mr. Bumble?
(a) Old Sally.
(b) Mrs. Simms.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A bill collector.
13. What is the name of Bill Sikes' girlfriend?
14. What is Oliver's job at the regular workhouse?
(a) Lifting loads of wheat.
(b) Picking oakrum.
(c) Delivering packages.
(d) Darning socks.
15. What are Noah and Charlotte doing when Mr. Bumble stops by to announce Sally's death to the Sowerberrys?
(a) Fighting and tearing up the house.
(b) Planning to run away together.
(c) Flirting and kissing.
(d) Stealing money from the Sowerberrys.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nancy pretend Oliver is when she sees him on the street?
2. What does Oliver see Fagin looking at when he wakes up in Fagin's house for the first time?
3. What is Mr. Sowerberry's occupation?
4. What position does Mr. Bumble hope to fill once the man who currently works that position is dead?
5. What does Fagin strike Oliver with when he tries to run away?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)