|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Noah and Charlotte doing when Mr. Bumble stops by to announce Sally's death to the Sowerberrys?
(a) Planning to run away together.
(b) Fighting and tearing up the house.
(c) Flirting and kissing.
(d) Stealing money from the Sowerberrys.
2. How much longer is the dying woman expected to live when she speaks with Mrs. Corney?
(a) A few minutes.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few days.
3. Where do Bill and Oliver eat dinner just before the big robbery?
(a) An open market.
(b) A fancy restaurant.
(c) The side of the road.
(d) A pub.
4. What does Fagin threaten to do to Oliver if he tries to run away again?
(a) Whip him.
(b) Starve him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Send him back to jail.
5. Who does Fagin get to force Oliver to cooperate while they are away at the next big robbery?
6. What does Oliver see Fagin looking at when he wakes up in Fagin's house for the first time?
(a) A set of wrenches.
(b) A picture of a lovely woman.
(d) Stacks of money.
7. What does Bill make Oliver drink at Toby's house?
8. What is the first job Fagin gives to Oliver on his first morning in Fagin's house?
(a) Advertising the found goods.
(b) Picking pockets.
(c) Cleaning the purses Dodger made.
(d) Taking monograms out of handkerchiefs.
9. What does Oliver's mother do just before she dies?
(a) Kisses him.
(b) Names him.
(d) Writes the name of his father.
10. What does Oliver do when he realizes what he is expected to do?
(c) Sighs in relief.
11. What was Dodger most worried about when Oliver was taken away after the theft of the handkerchief?
(a) Oliver's safety.
(b) Fagin's reaction.
(c) Whether anyone saw him at the scene of the crime.
(d) The cost of the handkerchief.
12. What is Mrs. Corney about to do just before Mr. Bumble comes to visit her?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Write him a letter.
(c) Have some tea.
(d) Make some bread.
13. Who does Nancy pretend Oliver is when she sees him on the street?
(a) Her runaway brother.
(b) An errant servant.
(c) A thief.
(d) A cousin.
14. What does Mr. Bumble see on a sign when he first arrives in London after Oliver is taken to Fagin's house?
(a) A reward sign for information about Oliver.
(b) A letter to Oliver from Mr. Brownlow.
(c) A sign for witnesses in Oliver's trial.
(d) A picture of goods thought to be stolen by Oliver.
15. Why does Rose beg the lady of the house not to prosecute Oliver?
(a) He is only a boy.
(b) She wants to avoid a scandal in the nighborhood.
(c) She believes his story.
(d) She feels he has had punishment enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the book about that Oliver is given while he waits for the big robbery to begin?
2. Who does Fagin decide to use in his next big robbery with Bill Sikes?
3. Where is the first place Fagin goes to find Bill after Toby's report?
4. Why does Bill put the wounded Oliver in the ditch after the attempted robbery?
5. What do Dodger and Charley tease Oliver about when Nancy brings him back to Fagin's house?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)