|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Brownlow say that Oliver must do to get his help?
(a) Be honest.
(c) Work hard.
(d) Get well.
2. What does Mr. Bumble do during his visit with Mrs. Corney that makes her scream?
(a) Kisses her.
(b) Points at a rat.
(c) Drops his cup of tea.
(d) Talks badly about the children at the workhouse.
3. What does Oliver's mother do just before she dies?
(b) Writes the name of his father.
(c) Names him.
(d) Kisses him.
4. What is the name of the magistrate who hears Oliver's case?
(a) Mr. Fang.
(b) Mr. Bumble.
(c) Mr. Brownlow.
(d) Mr. Frances.
5. What does Oliver admire when he starts to recover from his fever after the trial?
(a) A painting of a woman.
(b) A lovely clock.
(c) The streets of London.
(d) A crystal chandelier.
6. Which of the following people is NOT present when Toby comes to Fagin's house after the botched robbery?
7. Where does Oliver stay after his time in court?
(a) Mr. Brownlow's house.
(b) The book stall owner's house.
(c) The workhouse.
(d) Fagin's house.
8. Why is Oliver so afraid of going to Bill's house?
(a) He is afraid he will have to live there.
(b) He is afraid of Bill's dog.
(c) He does not want to be a part of a robbery.
(d) He thinks Bill wants to kill him.
9. How does Charley plan to retire from working for Fagin one day soon?
(a) He knows now where the good places to rob are located.
(b) He keeps some money back before giving it to Fagin.
(c) He plans to turn Fagin in and get a handsome reward.
(d) Fagin pays him well.
10. What is the sentence given to Oliver after his hearing?
(a) 3 months hard labor.
(b) 2 years in the workhouse.
(c) A fine of $50.
(d) 1 year in prison.
11. Who summons Mrs. Corney while she is visiting with Mr. Bumble?
(a) Her mother.
(b) A bill collector.
(c) Old Sally.
(d) Mrs. Simms.
12. How does the dying woman tell Mrs. Corney her secret?
(a) Whispers in her ear.
(b) Writes it on paper.
(c) Screams it in fits of pain.
(d) Sings it.
13. Who is the first person Oliver meets when he gets to London?
(a) Mr. Ranckle.
(b) Mr. Bumble.
14. What is Oliver given on the day of the big robbery?
(a) A robbery kit.
(b) A large meal.
(c) New shoes.
(d) New clothes.
15. Where is Oliver born?
(a) In a hospital.
(b) In a train.
(c) In a workhouse.
(d) On the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver do when he realizes what he is expected to do?
2. What is Mr. Giles's occupation?
3. What does Mr. Giles fail to mention to his lady about Oliver the thief?
4. What is the name of Bill Sikes' girlfriend?
5. What is Fagin most worried about when he hears that Oliver is in jail?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)