|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks Mr. Bumble to send their love to Oliver in London before he leaves?
(b) Mrs. Mann.
(c) Mr. Sowerberry.
2. What is the sentence given to Oliver after his hearing?
(a) 3 months hard labor.
(b) 1 year in prison.
(c) 2 years in the workhouse.
(d) A fine of $50.
3. Why is Mr. Bumble planning to go to court in London after Oliver is taken back to Fagin's house?
(a) To petition a raise in his monthly stipend.
(b) To transfer two sick children to a different parish.
(c) To bring Oliver back to their parish.
(d) To be a witness at a hearing for Oliver.
4. What does Mr. Giles fail to mention to his lady about Oliver the thief?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He took nothing.
(c) He is a child.
(d) He was one of a group.
5. What are Noah and Charlotte doing when Mr. Bumble stops by to announce Sally's death to the Sowerberrys?
(a) Flirting and kissing.
(b) Planning to run away together.
(c) Fighting and tearing up the house.
(d) Stealing money from the Sowerberrys.
6. What does Fagin threaten to do to Oliver if he tries to run away again?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Starve him.
(c) Send him back to jail.
(d) Whip him.
7. Who does Fagin get to force Oliver to cooperate while they are away at the next big robbery?
8. What does Noah tease Oliver about while they work together?
(a) His naivete.
(b) His mother.
(c) His angelic face.
(d) His tiny frame.
9. Where does Oliver stay after his time in court?
(a) The workhouse.
(b) Mr. Brownlow's house.
(c) The book stall owner's house.
(d) Fagin's house.
10. What does Oliver see Fagin looking at when he wakes up in Fagin's house for the first time?
(b) A set of wrenches.
(c) A picture of a lovely woman.
(d) Stacks of money.
11. What are Fagin and the others doing when Toby comes to his house after the botched robbery?
(a) Planning another robbery.
(b) Packing their things.
(c) Discussing what to do with all the new money.
(d) Playing cards.
12. What happens to Oliver during his hearing?
(a) He falls ill.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He faints.
(d) He begins to cry.
13. Why does Mr. Brownlow say that he removed the portrait that Oliver loves so much?
(a) He is getting ready to hang a different picture there.
(b) It was sent out for restoration.
(c) He didn't want it to bother Oliver.
(d) He was worried Oliver would harm it in some way.
14. Who gives Oliver his daily beatings while he is in solitary confinement?
(a) Mr. Jones.
(b) Mr. Gamfield.
(c) Mr. Fagin.
(d) Mr. Bumble.
15. What position does Mr. Bumble hope to fill once the man who currently works that position is dead?
(a) The head of the workhouse.
(b) The ambassador for the poor.
(c) The administrator for punishment in the workhouse.
(d) The tax collector of the paupers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dodger and Charley tease Oliver about when Nancy brings him back to Fagin's house?
2. What does Bill make Oliver drink at Toby's house?
3. Where does Oliver think Dodger got the purses that he gives to Fagin on his first morning in Fagin's house?
4. Who does Nancy pretend Oliver is when she sees him on the street?
5. What was Dodger most worried about when Oliver was taken away after the theft of the handkerchief?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)