|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Oliver so afraid of going to Bill's house?
(a) He thinks Bill wants to kill him.
(b) He does not want to be a part of a robbery.
(c) He is afraid he will have to live there.
(d) He is afraid of Bill's dog.
2. What position does Mr. Bumble hope to fill once the man who currently works that position is dead?
(a) The ambassador for the poor.
(b) The administrator for punishment in the workhouse.
(c) The tax collector of the paupers.
(d) The head of the workhouse.
3. What do many infants die of while Oliver works for Mr. Sowerberry?
4. What is Mr. Sowerberry's occupation?
(a) Coal Shoveler.
(c) Workhouse Administrator.
(d) Chimney Sweep.
5. What do Dodger and Charley do when Oliver is caught by a policeman?
(a) Run away.
(b) Promise to get him out.
(c) Laugh at him.
(d) Get Fagin.
6. What does Mr. Bumble do to entertain himself while Mrs. Corney is away with the dying woman?
(a) Take inventory of her possessions.
(b) Take a tour of her home.
(c) Read some of her books.
(d) Take a nap.
7. What do Charley and Dodger take from Oliver when he is brought back to Fagin's house?
(a) The books.
(b) His new clothes.
(c) The handkerchief given to him by Mr. Brownlow.
(d) The 5 pound note.
8. What does Oliver eat at Toby's house?
(a) A crust of bread.
(b) A bowl of thin gruel.
(c) A chicken casserole.
(d) A mincemeat pie.
9. Which of the following people is NOT present when Toby comes to Fagin's house after the botched robbery?
10. What does Mr. Bumble tell Mrs. Sowerberry was the cause of Oliver's bad behavior after Oliver's attack?
(a) Too much food.
(b) Mocking and taunting.
(c) A fever.
(d) Sleep deprivation.
11. What is Fagin most worried about when he hears that Oliver is in jail?
(a) That he will die in prison because he is ill.
(b) That he won't come back when he gets out of jail.
(c) That he will reveal where Fagin lives.
(d) That he will forget everything Fagin taught him.
12. What does Noah tease Oliver about while they work together?
(a) His mother.
(b) His angelic face.
(c) His naivete.
(d) His tiny frame.
13. Who asks Mr. Bumble to send their love to Oliver in London before he leaves?
(a) Mrs. Mann.
(b) Mr. Sowerberry.
14. What does Oliver think Bill wants to do with him as they travel to the site of the big robbery?
(a) Use him in a robbery.
(b) Torture him for information.
(c) Sell him as a slave.
(d) Murder him.
15. Why does Bill put the wounded Oliver in the ditch after the attempted robbery?
(a) He doesn't want to be charged with Oliver's murder.
(b) He thought Oliver was already dead.
(c) He hoped the men would think Oliver was alone.
(d) Oliver is too heavy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nancy pretend Oliver is when she sees him on the street?
2. What does Oliver admire when he starts to recover from his fever after the trial?
3. Why does Oliver decide to run away to London after leaving the Sowerberrys' house?
4. Why is Oliver not sent to live with the man who is willing to take him in?
5. What is Mrs. Sowerberry's main complaint about children?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)