|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Gamfield's occupation?
(a) Workhouse Administrator.
(c) Coal Shoveler.
(d) Chimney Sweep.
2. What does Mr. Sowerberry dress Oliver up to do?
(a) Attend funerals.
(b) Collect late payments.
(c) Pick pockets.
(d) Sell coffins.
3. Why does Rose beg the lady of the house not to prosecute Oliver?
(a) She wants to avoid a scandal in the nighborhood.
(b) She believes his story.
(c) He is only a boy.
(d) She feels he has had punishment enough.
4. Where does Oliver stay after his time in court?
(a) Fagin's house.
(b) Mr. Brownlow's house.
(c) The workhouse.
(d) The book stall owner's house.
5. What do Dodger and Charley do when Oliver is caught by a policeman?
(a) Run away.
(b) Get Fagin.
(c) Promise to get him out.
(d) Laugh at him.
6. What could Mr. Giles be in trouble with the law for?
(a) Not reporting a robbery to the police.
(b) Failing to catch the other robbers.
(c) Keeping from his mistress Oliver's age.
(d) Shooting a child.
7. What does Mr. Bumble tell Mrs. Sowerberry was the cause of Oliver's bad behavior after Oliver's attack?
(a) Mocking and taunting.
(b) Sleep deprivation.
(c) A fever.
(d) Too much food.
8. Who does Nancy pretend Oliver is when she sees him on the street?
(a) Her runaway brother.
(b) A cousin.
(c) A thief.
(d) An errant servant.
9. Why does Mr. Brownlow say that he removed the portrait that Oliver loves so much?
(a) He didn't want it to bother Oliver.
(b) He is getting ready to hang a different picture there.
(c) He was worried Oliver would harm it in some way.
(d) It was sent out for restoration.
10. What is Oliver's job at the regular workhouse?
(a) Delivering packages.
(b) Picking oakrum.
(c) Lifting loads of wheat.
(d) Darning socks.
11. What is Oliver accused of stealing when Nancy and Bill take him away?
(b) Pocket change.
(c) Some books.
12. Where does Oliver think Dodger got the purses that he gives to Fagin on his first morning in Fagin's house?
(a) He made them.
(b) He bought them.
(c) He found them.
(d) He stole them.
13. What does Fagin threaten to do to Oliver if he tries to run away again?
(a) Whip him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Starve him.
(d) Send him back to jail.
14. What is the book about that Oliver is given while he waits for the big robbery to begin?
(a) Biblical stories for children.
(b) A gang of thieves who gets caught and hung.
(c) A handbook on torture.
(d) A history of criminals.
15. What is Mrs. Sowerberry's main complaint about children?
(a) They eat too much.
(b) They are unintelligent.
(c) They are too small.
(d) They are weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Corney about to do just before Mr. Bumble comes to visit her?
2. What does Oliver see Fagin looking at when he wakes up in Fagin's house for the first time?
3. Who does Fagin get to force Oliver to cooperate while they are away at the next big robbery?
4. What position does Mr. Bumble hope to fill once the man who currently works that position is dead?
5. Where does Toby leave Oliver after the botched robbery?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)