|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Giles fail to mention to his lady about Oliver the thief?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He is a child.
(c) He took nothing.
(d) He was one of a group.
2. What is Mr. Gamfield's occupation?
(b) Workhouse Administrator.
(c) Coal Shoveler.
(d) Chimney Sweep.
3. What does Oliver eat at Toby's house?
(a) A chicken casserole.
(b) A mincemeat pie.
(c) A crust of bread.
(d) A bowl of thin gruel.
4. What does Mrs. Sowerberry do to Oliver when he threatens Noah one night after a lot of taunting?
(a) Sends him to jail.
(b) Sends him back to the workhouse.
(c) Locks him in the cellar.
(d) Kicks him out of the house.
5. Who takes care of Oliver after his mother dies?
(a) The nurse.
(b) His aunt.
(c) A foster care center.
(d) His father.
6. What does Mr. Bumble tell Mrs. Sowerberry was the cause of Oliver's bad behavior after Oliver's attack?
(a) Mocking and taunting.
(b) A fever.
(c) Too much food.
(d) Sleep deprivation.
7. What does Oliver do when he realizes what he is expected to do?
(d) Sighs in relief.
8. Who is the first person Oliver meets when he gets to London?
(c) Mr. Bumble.
(d) Mr. Ranckle.
9. What is Bill Sikes' occupation?
(a) Coal Shoveler.
(d) Milk Man.
10. Who gives Oliver his daily beatings while he is in solitary confinement?
(a) Mr. Fagin.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mr. Gamfield.
(d) Mr. Bumble.
11. How far away is London when Oliver decides to run away from Mr. Sowerberry's house?
(a) 37 miles.
(b) 17 miles.
(d) 70 miles.
12. Why is Mr. Bumble planning to go to court in London after Oliver is taken back to Fagin's house?
(a) To transfer two sick children to a different parish.
(b) To bring Oliver back to their parish.
(c) To be a witness at a hearing for Oliver.
(d) To petition a raise in his monthly stipend.
13. Where does Oliver sleep when he lives with the Sowerberrys?
(a) By the coffins.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In the attic.
(d) On the floor.
14. Why is Oliver not sent to live with the man who is willing to take him in?
(a) Oliver was terrified of the man.
(b) The man had a criminal record.
(c) The man was not gainfully employed.
(d) Oliver was too young for such menial labor.
15. How much longer is the dying woman expected to live when she speaks with Mrs. Corney?
(a) A few hours.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Noah tease Oliver about while they work together?
2. What is Mr. Sowerberry's occupation?
3. What does Fagin threaten to do to Oliver if he tries to run away again?
4. What do many infants die of while Oliver works for Mr. Sowerberry?
5. What does Oliver do when he sees Charley steal a man's handkerchief?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)