|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sentence given to Oliver after his hearing?
(a) 1 year in prison.
(b) A fine of $50.
(c) 2 years in the workhouse.
(d) 3 months hard labor.
2. Who summons Mrs. Corney while she is visiting with Mr. Bumble?
(a) Mrs. Simms.
(b) Her mother.
(c) A bill collector.
(d) Old Sally.
3. Who is the first person Oliver meets when he gets to London?
(a) Mr. Bumble.
(d) Mr. Ranckle.
4. What does Mr. Bumble do to entertain himself while Mrs. Corney is away with the dying woman?
(a) Read some of her books.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Take inventory of her possessions.
(d) Take a tour of her home.
5. What do many infants die of while Oliver works for Mr. Sowerberry?
6. What does Mr. Brownlow say that Oliver must do to get his help?
(a) Get well.
(c) Work hard.
(d) Be honest.
7. What does Oliver tell Rose and the doctor when he comes to after being treated for his wounds?
(a) His thought out apology.
(b) What he would like to become.
(c) His life story.
(d) The story he was taught by Fagin to tell.
8. What does Oliver wish to do during his first few days at Fagin's house?
(a) Meet some more people.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Find clues about his mother.
(d) Get some fresh air.
9. How do Bill and Oliver travel to the big robbery?
(a) Riding a cart.
10. Why does Rose beg the lady of the house not to prosecute Oliver?
(a) She wants to avoid a scandal in the nighborhood.
(b) She believes his story.
(c) She feels he has had punishment enough.
(d) He is only a boy.
11. What does Mr. Bumble plan to do when he reaches the Sowerberry home after Oliver's attack?
(a) Take him to jail.
(b) Treat his wounds.
(c) Take him back to the workhouse.
(d) Flog him.
12. What does Mr. Sowerberry do when he returns home and hears what has happened while he was gone?
(a) Kicks Oliver out of his house.
(b) Yells at his wife.
(c) Flogs Oliver.
(d) Sends Mr. Bumble away.
13. What does Fagin say he can do with Oliver if he is still alive?
(a) Find someone to adopt him.
(b) Make him a thief.
(c) Repent of his ways.
(d) Send him on his way an honest man.
14. Who takes care of Oliver after his mother dies?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His father.
(c) A foster care center.
(d) The nurse.
15. What are Fagin and the others doing when Toby comes to his house after the botched robbery?
(a) Discussing what to do with all the new money.
(b) Packing their things.
(c) Playing cards.
(d) Planning another robbery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charley plan to retire from working for Fagin one day soon?
2. What does Mr. Giles fail to mention to his lady about Oliver the thief?
3. What does the dying woman need to tell Mrs. Corney?
4. What is Oliver given on the day of the big robbery?
5. Where is Oliver born?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)