|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
2. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
3. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
4. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
5. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Santiago give up arm wrestling?
2. What significance does Santiago place on the sudden pull the fish makes on the line after swimming steadily all night long?
3. As the conflict between man and fish continues, what does Santiago contemplate to gain advantage for himself? Explain.
4. Aside from the times that Santiago actually says, "I'm lonely", how does Hemingway emphasize that situation?
5. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
6. Describe Santiago's first sighting of the marlin.
7. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
8. When there is another bite on one of his other lines, Santiago cuts it loose. Why?
9. How does the conflict intensify on the second night?
10. Show how Hemingway uses the literary form of personification as Santiago thinks about the great fish he has hooked.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbolism Hemingway uses in The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the hardships of fishing for a living.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about overcoming difficulties in life.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)