|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
2. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
3. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
4. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
5. When Santiago sees the marlin jump out of the water, what does he realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. When there is another bite on one of his other lines, Santiago cuts it loose. Why?
2. Describe Santiago's first sighting of the marlin.
3. What indicates that Santiago has no idea of catching the largest marlin ever landed in those waters?
4. Discuss how Hemingway uses the man-of-war bird, the dolphins, and the flying fish to explain the nature of life in the sea.
5. Santiago recalls that he used to sing on the turtle boats, whereas now he talks out loud to himself. When does he think the talking began?
6. Santiago does not consider himself to be religious, but what happens to show that he was at one time before?
7. Explain the first indication that Santiago has that he has caught a very large fish, even though he has not seen it and does know know what kind of fish it is.
8. How does the man-of-war bird help Santiago catch an albacore?
9. By nightfall, Santiago recognizes a change in direction. Explain how he knows that.
10. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbolism Hemingway uses in The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about respect for nature. Use Santiago as support for your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about fishing as a hobby versus fishing for a living.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)