|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
2. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
3. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
4. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
5. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does Santiago place on the sudden pull the fish makes on the line after swimming steadily all night long?
2. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
3. It was noon when the old man hooked the fish and four hours later he thinks about something odd. What is it?
4. There is something almost religious about Santiago's walk to his shack after landing with the bones of the marlin. Describe it.
5. Explain the first indication that Santiago has that he has caught a very large fish, even though he has not seen it and does know know what kind of fish it is.
6. Santiago does not consider himself to be religious, but what happens to show that he was at one time before?
7. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
8. How does the old man utilize the power of positive thinking as he struggles with the huge marlin during the night?
9. Explain the significance of the scattered thoughts of the old man as he struggles to hold onto the fish.
10. How does the man-of-war bird help Santiago catch an albacore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the hardships of fishing for a living.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about all the causes for Santiago's becoming addled during this fishing trip.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about overcoming difficulties in life.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)