|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
2. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
3. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
4. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
5. What indicates the old man's pride?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
2. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
3. How does Hemingway demonstrate Santiago's expertise as a sailor and fisherman?
4. Describe the last moments that define the valor of the great marlin.
5. Why is the story about an old man instead of a young one?
6. Explain the significance of the scattered thoughts of the old man as he struggles to hold onto the fish.
7. There is something almost religious about Santiago's walk to his shack after landing with the bones of the marlin. Describe it.
8. On the second night, describe the old man's recollection that shows how strong he was years ago.
9. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
10. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the theme of courage in the human spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion about Hemingway's style of writing. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of self-confidence.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)