|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of sharks came the second time?
2. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
3. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
4. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
5. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conflict of resolution between the old man and the fish.
2. Aside from the times that Santiago actually says, "I'm lonely", how does Hemingway emphasize that situation?
3. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
4. It is now the next day and Santiago had brought no provisions for a meal at sea. What does he have to eat?
5. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
6. Santiago recalls that he used to sing on the turtle boats, whereas now he talks out loud to himself. When does he think the talking began?
7. Why did Santiago decide he could sleep a while on the second night?
8. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
9. What is the bond between Santiago and the boy?
10. When the big fish first takes the bait, the old man thought about what he was sure the fish would do but he did not say it out loud. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the hardships of fishing for a living.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the theme of courage in the human spirit.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of self-confidence.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)