|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
2. What happens to snap the old man out of his conversation with the bird?
3. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
4. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
5. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the meaning of the statement that Santiago loved the lions in his dreams like he loved the boy.
2. How does Hemingway demonstrate Santiago's expertise as a sailor and fisherman?
3. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
4. What does the fish do that helps revive Santiago from his weariness?
5. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
6. While sleeping in the boat, what are Santiago's dream like?
7. Describe the last moments that define the valor of the great marlin.
8. Aside from the times that Santiago actually says, "I'm lonely", how does Hemingway emphasize that situation?
9. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
10. How does Santiago think about the night time conflict between himself and the great fish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about loyalty. Use Manolin as your example.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the hardships of fishing for a living.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about gaining knowledge and wisdom through experience versus formal education. Use Santiago as your example.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)