|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
2. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
3. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
4. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
5. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway demonstrate Santiago's expertise as a sailor and fisherman?
2. Why can the old man not let go of the line as the big fish tows his skiff farther out to sea?
3. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
4. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
5. What makes Manolin cry after he discovers the old man at his house?
6. Aside from the times that Santiago actually says, "I'm lonely", how does Hemingway emphasize that situation?
7. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
8. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
9. How does the man-of-war bird help Santiago catch an albacore?
10. Describe Santiago's meal on the second day and why he was so pleased after he ate.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about overcoming difficulties in life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about loyalty. Use Manolin as your example.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about all the causes for Santiago's becoming addled during this fishing trip.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)