|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
2. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
3. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
4. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
5. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Toward the end of the second day, Santiago assesses his situation and thinks he has several new advantages. What are they?
2. There is something almost religious about Santiago's walk to his shack after landing with the bones of the marlin. Describe it.
3. How does the conflict intensify on the second night?
4. Why did Santiago decide he could sleep a while on the second night?
5. Describe the danger the Portuguese man-of-war man of war poses to a fisherman in a boat.
6. Identify a few passages in the story that indicate the pride of Santiago.
7. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
8. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
9. What knowledge does seeing the marlin bring to the old man?
10. What is the bond between Santiago and the boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about overcoming difficulties in life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of self-confidence.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about gaining knowledge and wisdom through experience versus formal education. Use Santiago as your example.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)