|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
2. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
3. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
4. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
5. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indicates that Santiago has no idea of catching the largest marlin ever landed in those waters?
2. By nightfall, Santiago recognizes a change in direction. Explain how he knows that.
3. How does the conflict intensify on the second night?
4. Why did Santiago decide he could sleep a while on the second night?
5. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
6. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
7. It is now the next day and Santiago had brought no provisions for a meal at sea. What does he have to eat?
8. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
9. How does Santiago compare himself to the great sea turtles that are as big as a skiff and weigh a ton?
10. What significance does Santiago place on the sudden pull the fish makes on the line after swimming steadily all night long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about overcoming difficulties in life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about respect for nature. Use Santiago as support for your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why you think Hemingway did or did not know about deep sea fishing.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)