|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
2. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
3. After killing the Mako shark, what does Santiago eat?
4. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
5. Why do the sharks finally go away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
2. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
3. Explain the significance of the scattered thoughts of the old man as he struggles to hold onto the fish.
4. Describe the last moments that define the valor of the great marlin.
5. What significance does Santiago place on the sudden pull the fish makes on the line after swimming steadily all night long?
6. Why was it simple for Santiago to defeat the Negro of Cienfuegas when they had a rematch in the spring?
7. How does the old man utilize the power of positive thinking as he struggles with the huge marlin during the night?
8. Why is the story about an old man instead of a young one?
9. What does the fish do that helps revive Santiago from his weariness?
10. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the theme of courage in the human spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about why you think Hemingway did or did not know about deep sea fishing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Santiago took chances because of his bad luck.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)