|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
2. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
3. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
4. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
5. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
2. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
3. What is the bond between Santiago and the boy?
4. While sleeping in the boat, what are Santiago's dream like?
5. When there is another bite on one of his other lines, Santiago cuts it loose. Why?
6. When the big fish first takes the bait, the old man thought about what he was sure the fish would do but he did not say it out loud. Why?
7. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
8. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
9. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
10. As the conflict between man and fish continues, what does Santiago contemplate to gain advantage for himself? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the effects of loneliness on people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about why you think Hemingway did or did not know about deep sea fishing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the importance of knowing what you are up against in any conflict. In the essay explain how it helped Santiago to see his fish.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)