|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
2. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
3. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
4. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
5. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
2. What indicates that Santiago has no idea of catching the largest marlin ever landed in those waters?
3. Discuss the conflict of resolution between the old man and the fish.
4. How does Santiago show his resolution as he holds the line and thinks about all the things the fish might do?
5. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
6. How does the man-of-war bird help Santiago catch an albacore?
7. What is the metaphoric significance of the arm wrestling match in Casablanca?
8. What new indication tells Santiago and the reader that this is a truly remarkable fish after the moonlight jump?
9. Why did Santiago give up arm wrestling?
10. When there is another bite on one of his other lines, Santiago cuts it loose. Why?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the importance of self-confidence.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining you opinion on what happens to the old man after he returns with the marlin bones.
Essay Topic 3
Write a summary of The Old Man and the Sea.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)