|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
2. What does Santiago dream of?
3. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
4. What is the one thing not beautiful about the Mako shark?
5. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fish do that helps revive Santiago from his weariness?
2. Why is it important for Santiago to see the fish he has caught?
3. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
4. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
5. How does Santiago think about the night time conflict between himself and the great fish?
6. Toward the end of the second day, Santiago assesses his situation and thinks he has several new advantages. What are they?
7. How does the old man utilize the power of positive thinking as he struggles with the huge marlin during the night?
8. How does the conflict intensify on the second night?
9. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
10. While sleeping in the boat, what are Santiago's dream like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about overcoming difficulties in life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about loyalty. Use Manolin as your example.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the theme of courage in the human spirit.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)