|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
2. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
3. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
4. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
5. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
Short Essay Questions
1. By nightfall, Santiago recognizes a change in direction. Explain how he knows that.
2. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
3. Explain the significance of the scattered thoughts of the old man as he struggles to hold onto the fish.
4. After the marlin jumps during the night, there is a lull. What does it allow Santiago to do?
5. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
6. What is the bond between Santiago and the boy?
7. Explain the meaning of the statement that Santiago loved the lions in his dreams like he loved the boy.
8. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
9. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
10. What indicates that Santiago has no idea of catching the largest marlin ever landed in those waters?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the effects of loneliness on people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Santiago took chances because of his bad luck.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the theme of courage in the human spirit.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)