|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
2. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
3. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
4. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
5. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the danger the Portuguese man-of-war man of war poses to a fisherman in a boat.
2. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
3. Describe Santiago's first sighting of the marlin.
4. Santiago does not consider himself to be religious, but what happens to show that he was at one time before?
5. After the marlin jumps during the night, there is a lull. What does it allow Santiago to do?
6. There is something almost religious about Santiago's walk to his shack after landing with the bones of the marlin. Describe it.
7. When the big fish first takes the bait, the old man thought about what he was sure the fish would do but he did not say it out loud. Why?
8. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
9. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
10. What is Santiago's analysis of having a cramp, especially when one is alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about loyalty. Use Manolin as your example.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about humility versus pride. Use Santiago's relationship with Manolin as support for your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why you think Hemingway did or did not know about deep sea fishing.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)