|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
2. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
3. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
4. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
5. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conflict of resolution between the old man and the fish.
2. What is Santiago's analysis of having a cramp, especially when one is alone?
3. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
4. How does Hemingway demonstrate Santiago's expertise as a sailor and fisherman?
5. What indicates that Santiago has no idea of catching the largest marlin ever landed in those waters?
6. Describe Santiago's first sighting of the marlin.
7. Why was it simple for Santiago to defeat the Negro of Cienfuegas when they had a rematch in the spring?
8. How does the conflict intensify on the second night?
9. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
10. Why did Santiago give up arm wrestling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how people turn to religion when times are difficult.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about respect for nature. Use Santiago as support for your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the effects of loneliness on people.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)