|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
2. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
3. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
4. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
5. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important for Santiago to see the fish he has caught?
2. Describe the danger the Portuguese man-of-war man of war poses to a fisherman in a boat.
3. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
4. Identify a few passages in the story that indicate the pride of Santiago.
5. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
6. By nightfall, Santiago recognizes a change in direction. Explain how he knows that.
7. Aside from the times that Santiago actually says, "I'm lonely", how does Hemingway emphasize that situation?
8. What is the bond between Santiago and the boy?
9. Why was it simple for Santiago to defeat the Negro of Cienfuegas when they had a rematch in the spring?
10. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about overcoming difficulties in life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Santiago took chances because of his bad luck.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the effects of loneliness on people.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)