Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
2. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
3. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
4. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
5. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Manolin cry after he discovers the old man at his house?
2. What indicates that Santiago has no idea of catching the largest marlin ever landed in those waters?
3. Santiago does not consider himself to be religious, but what happens to show that he was at one time before?
4. What is the bond between Santiago and the boy?
5. What new indication tells Santiago and the reader that this is a truly remarkable fish after the moonlight jump?
6. By nightfall, Santiago recognizes a change in direction. Explain how he knows that.
7. Show how Hemingway uses the literary form of personification as Santiago thinks about the great fish he has hooked.
8. Describe the last moments that define the valor of the great marlin.
9. Explain the first indication that Santiago has that he has caught a very large fish, even though he has not seen it and does know know what kind of fish it is.
10. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
Write your opinion about Hemingway's style of writing. Use examples from the book.
Write an essay about Santiago's opinion of himself that he is a strange old man and must prove it.
Write a summary of The Old Man and the Sea.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)