|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
2. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
3. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
4. How does he get something to eat?
5. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is now the next day and Santiago had brought no provisions for a meal at sea. What does he have to eat?
2. Why was it simple for Santiago to defeat the Negro of Cienfuegas when they had a rematch in the spring?
3. How does Hemingway demonstrate Santiago's expertise as a sailor and fisherman?
4. Describe the last moments that define the valor of the great marlin.
5. Describe the danger the Portuguese man-of-war man of war poses to a fisherman in a boat.
6. When the big fish first takes the bait, the old man thought about what he was sure the fish would do but he did not say it out loud. Why?
7. How does Santiago compare himself to the great sea turtles that are as big as a skiff and weigh a ton?
8. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
9. Identify a few passages in the story that indicate the pride of Santiago.
10. What is the metaphoric significance of the arm wrestling match in Casablanca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about respect for nature. Use Santiago as support for your position.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about why you think Hemingway did or did not know about deep sea fishing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about all the causes for Santiago's becoming addled during this fishing trip.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)