|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
2. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
3. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
4. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
5. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the second night, describe the old man's recollection that shows how strong he was years ago.
2. Why is it important for Santiago to see the fish he has caught?
3. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
4. Why did Santiago decide he could sleep a while on the second night?
5. It is now the next day and Santiago had brought no provisions for a meal at sea. What does he have to eat?
6. How does Santiago show his resolution as he holds the line and thinks about all the things the fish might do?
7. What does the fish do that helps revive Santiago from his weariness?
8. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
9. While sleeping in the boat, what are Santiago's dream like?
10. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the importance of knowing what you are up against in any conflict. In the essay explain how it helped Santiago to see his fish.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining you opinion on what happens to the old man after he returns with the marlin bones.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the theme of courage in the human spirit.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)