|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
2. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
3. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
4. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
5. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the meaning of the statement that Santiago loved the lions in his dreams like he loved the boy.
2. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
3. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
4. What knowledge does seeing the marlin bring to the old man?
5. It was noon when the old man hooked the fish and four hours later he thinks about something odd. What is it?
6. Describe the last moments that define the valor of the great marlin.
7. Discuss the physical infirmity that begins to plague Santiago on the second day at sea.
8. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
9. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
10. On the second night, describe the old man's recollection that shows how strong he was years ago.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining you opinion on what happens to the old man after he returns with the marlin bones.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about symbolism Hemingway uses in The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about respect for nature. Use Santiago as support for your position.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)