|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
2. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
3. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
4. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
5. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
2. What knowledge does seeing the marlin bring to the old man?
3. After Santiago manages to kill the shovel-nosed sharks that have taken about a quarter of the meat off his marlin, how does he feel?
4. Discuss the physical infirmity that begins to plague Santiago on the second day at sea.
5. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
6. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
7. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
8. Santiago does not consider himself to be religious, but what happens to show that he was at one time before?
9. What indicates that Santiago has no idea of catching the largest marlin ever landed in those waters?
10. Why did Santiago give up arm wrestling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining you opinion on what happens to the old man after he returns with the marlin bones.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Santiago's opinion of himself that he is a strange old man and must prove it.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about all the causes for Santiago's becoming addled during this fishing trip.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)