|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
2. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
3. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
4. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
5. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it simple for Santiago to defeat the Negro of Cienfuegas when they had a rematch in the spring?
2. It is now the next day and Santiago had brought no provisions for a meal at sea. What does he have to eat?
3. It was noon when the old man hooked the fish and four hours later he thinks about something odd. What is it?
4. What is the metaphoric significance of the arm wrestling match in Casablanca?
5. By nightfall, Santiago recognizes a change in direction. Explain how he knows that.
6. What is the bond between Santiago and the boy?
7. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
8. Identify a few passages in the story that indicate the pride of Santiago.
9. How does the old man utilize the power of positive thinking as he struggles with the huge marlin during the night?
10. What new indication tells Santiago and the reader that this is a truly remarkable fish after the moonlight jump?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the theme of courage in the human spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of self-confidence.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about humility versus pride. Use Santiago's relationship with Manolin as support for your ideas.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)