|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
2. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
3. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
4. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
5. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Santiago manages to kill the shovel-nosed sharks that have taken about a quarter of the meat off his marlin, how does he feel?
2. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
3. By nightfall, Santiago recognizes a change in direction. Explain how he knows that.
4. How does the man-of-war bird help Santiago catch an albacore?
5. Identify a few passages in the story that indicate the pride of Santiago.
6. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
7. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
8. Why was it simple for Santiago to defeat the Negro of Cienfuegas when they had a rematch in the spring?
9. Discuss how Hemingway uses the man-of-war bird, the dolphins, and the flying fish to explain the nature of life in the sea.
10. Why did Santiago decide he could sleep a while on the second night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Santiago took chances because of his bad luck.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about respect for nature. Use Santiago as support for your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about fishing as a hobby versus fishing for a living.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)