|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
2. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
3. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
4. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
5. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
2. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
3. After Santiago manages to kill the shovel-nosed sharks that have taken about a quarter of the meat off his marlin, how does he feel?
4. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
5. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
6. What makes Manolin cry after he discovers the old man at his house?
7. What new indication tells Santiago and the reader that this is a truly remarkable fish after the moonlight jump?
8. Describe the danger the Portuguese man-of-war man of war poses to a fisherman in a boat.
9. What does the fish do that helps revive Santiago from his weariness?
10. What is Santiago's analysis of having a cramp, especially when one is alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about all the causes for Santiago's becoming addled during this fishing trip.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about overcoming difficulties in life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining you opinion on what happens to the old man after he returns with the marlin bones.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)