|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
2. Why do the sharks finally go away?
3. What is the meaning of salao?
4. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
5. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Show how Hemingway uses the literary form of personification as Santiago thinks about the great fish he has hooked.
2. Describe Santiago's first sighting of the marlin.
3. What makes Manolin cry after he discovers the old man at his house?
4. There is something almost religious about Santiago's walk to his shack after landing with the bones of the marlin. Describe it.
5. Why is the story about an old man instead of a young one?
6. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
7. Why is it important for Santiago to see the fish he has caught?
8. How does the conflict intensify on the second night?
9. Explain the first indication that Santiago has that he has caught a very large fish, even though he has not seen it and does know know what kind of fish it is.
10. Discuss the conflict of resolution between the old man and the fish.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about fishing as a hobby versus fishing for a living.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the theme of courage in the human spirit.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Santiago took chances because of his bad luck.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)