|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
2. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
3. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
4. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
5. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the metaphoric significance of the arm wrestling match in Casablanca?
2. Why did Santiago decide he could sleep a while on the second night?
3. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
4. Why did Santiago give up arm wrestling?
5. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
6. Identify a few passages in the story that indicate the pride of Santiago.
7. How does Santiago compare himself to the great sea turtles that are as big as a skiff and weigh a ton?
8. Explain the significance of the scattered thoughts of the old man as he struggles to hold onto the fish.
9. How does Santiago think about the night time conflict between himself and the great fish?
10. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbolism Hemingway uses in The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how people turn to religion when times are difficult.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about fishing as a hobby versus fishing for a living.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)