|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
2. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
3. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
4. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
5. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the second night, describe the old man's recollection that shows how strong he was years ago.
2. After Santiago manages to kill the shovel-nosed sharks that have taken about a quarter of the meat off his marlin, how does he feel?
3. Explain the significance of the scattered thoughts of the old man as he struggles to hold onto the fish.
4. As the conflict between man and fish continues, what does Santiago contemplate to gain advantage for himself? Explain.
5. Discuss the physical infirmity that begins to plague Santiago on the second day at sea.
6. Santiago recalls that he used to sing on the turtle boats, whereas now he talks out loud to himself. When does he think the talking began?
7. Show how Hemingway uses the literary form of personification as Santiago thinks about the great fish he has hooked.
8. How does Santiago think about the night time conflict between himself and the great fish?
9. Discuss the conflict of resolution between the old man and the fish.
10. What is the metaphoric significance of the arm wrestling match in Casablanca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about overcoming difficulties in life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of self-confidence.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about fishing as a hobby versus fishing for a living.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)