|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
2. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
3. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
4. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
5. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
2. What is Santiago's analysis of having a cramp, especially when one is alone?
3. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
4. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
5. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
6. Describe Santiago's first sighting of the marlin.
7. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
8. By nightfall, Santiago recognizes a change in direction. Explain how he knows that.
9. While sleeping in the boat, what are Santiago's dream like?
10. Describe the danger the Portuguese man-of-war man of war poses to a fisherman in a boat.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining you opinion on what happens to the old man after he returns with the marlin bones.
Essay Topic 2
Write a summary of The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Santiago took chances because of his bad luck.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)