|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
2. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
3. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
4. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
5. What kind of sharks came the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. It was noon when the old man hooked the fish and four hours later he thinks about something odd. What is it?
2. Discuss how Hemingway uses the man-of-war bird, the dolphins, and the flying fish to explain the nature of life in the sea.
3. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
4. Why can the old man not let go of the line as the big fish tows his skiff farther out to sea?
5. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
6. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
7. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
8. Santiago recalls that he used to sing on the turtle boats, whereas now he talks out loud to himself. When does he think the talking began?
9. Describe the danger the Portuguese man-of-war man of war poses to a fisherman in a boat.
10. There is something almost religious about Santiago's walk to his shack after landing with the bones of the marlin. Describe it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbolism Hemingway uses in The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 2
Write a summary of The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining you opinion on what happens to the old man after he returns with the marlin bones.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)