|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
2. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
3. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
4. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
5. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Show how Hemingway uses the literary form of personification as Santiago thinks about the great fish he has hooked.
2. Why did Santiago decide he could sleep a while on the second night?
3. Toward the end of the second day, Santiago assesses his situation and thinks he has several new advantages. What are they?
4. What new indication tells Santiago and the reader that this is a truly remarkable fish after the moonlight jump?
5. Explain the significance of the scattered thoughts of the old man as he struggles to hold onto the fish.
6. What is the bond between Santiago and the boy?
7. How does the conflict intensify on the second night?
8. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
9. When there is another bite on one of his other lines, Santiago cuts it loose. Why?
10. After the marlin jumps during the night, there is a lull. What does it allow Santiago to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how people turn to religion when times are difficult.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about humility versus pride. Use Santiago's relationship with Manolin as support for your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about respect for nature. Use Santiago as support for your position.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)