|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
2. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
3. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
4. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
5. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What knowledge does seeing the marlin bring to the old man?
2. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
3. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
4. After Santiago manages to kill the shovel-nosed sharks that have taken about a quarter of the meat off his marlin, how does he feel?
5. By nightfall, Santiago recognizes a change in direction. Explain how he knows that.
6. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
7. Discuss the physical infirmity that begins to plague Santiago on the second day at sea.
8. On the second night, describe the old man's recollection that shows how strong he was years ago.
9. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
10. How does the old man utilize the power of positive thinking as he struggles with the huge marlin during the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about respect for nature. Use Santiago as support for your position.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about all the causes for Santiago's becoming addled during this fishing trip.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion about Hemingway's style of writing. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)