|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
2. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
3. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
4. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
5. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
2. When the big fish first takes the bait, the old man thought about what he was sure the fish would do but he did not say it out loud. Why?
3. Discuss the physical infirmity that begins to plague Santiago on the second day at sea.
4. Show how Hemingway uses the literary form of personification as Santiago thinks about the great fish he has hooked.
5. Describe Santiago's first sighting of the marlin.
6. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
7. What indicates that Santiago has no idea of catching the largest marlin ever landed in those waters?
8. Why did Santiago give up arm wrestling?
9. How does Santiago show his resolution as he holds the line and thinks about all the things the fish might do?
10. Why is the story about an old man instead of a young one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Santiago's opinion of himself that he is a strange old man and must prove it.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the importance of knowing what you are up against in any conflict. In the essay explain how it helped Santiago to see his fish.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about all the causes for Santiago's becoming addled during this fishing trip.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)