|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
2. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
3. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
4. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
5. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
2. Santiago does not consider himself to be religious, but what happens to show that he was at one time before?
3. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
4. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
5. What significance does Santiago place on the sudden pull the fish makes on the line after swimming steadily all night long?
6. How does the old man utilize the power of positive thinking as he struggles with the huge marlin during the night?
7. What makes Manolin cry after he discovers the old man at his house?
8. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
9. On the second night, describe the old man's recollection that shows how strong he was years ago.
10. After Santiago manages to kill the shovel-nosed sharks that have taken about a quarter of the meat off his marlin, how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbolism Hemingway uses in The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about humility versus pride. Use Santiago's relationship with Manolin as support for your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining you opinion on what happens to the old man after he returns with the marlin bones.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)