|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
2. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
3. What indicates the old man's pride?
4. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
5. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
2. After the marlin jumps during the night, there is a lull. What does it allow Santiago to do?
3. It is now the next day and Santiago had brought no provisions for a meal at sea. What does he have to eat?
4. Explain the significance of the scattered thoughts of the old man as he struggles to hold onto the fish.
5. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
6. Identify a few passages in the story that indicate the pride of Santiago.
7. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
8. How does Santiago think about the night time conflict between himself and the great fish?
9. Describe the conditions during the first night after Santiago caught the big fish.
10. Discuss how Hemingway uses the man-of-war bird, the dolphins, and the flying fish to explain the nature of life in the sea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the hardships of fishing for a living.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about all the causes for Santiago's becoming addled during this fishing trip.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the importance of knowing what you are up against in any conflict. In the essay explain how it helped Santiago to see his fish.
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)