|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
2. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
3. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
4. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
5. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
2. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
3. Describe Santiago's meal on the second day and why he was so pleased after he ate.
4. Why was it simple for Santiago to defeat the Negro of Cienfuegas when they had a rematch in the spring?
5. Santiago recalls that he used to sing on the turtle boats, whereas now he talks out loud to himself. When does he think the talking began?
6. What indicates that Santiago has no idea of catching the largest marlin ever landed in those waters?
7. While sleeping in the boat, what are Santiago's dream like?
8. How does Santiago compare himself to the great sea turtles that are as big as a skiff and weigh a ton?
9. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
10. Why can the old man not let go of the line as the big fish tows his skiff farther out to sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how people turn to religion when times are difficult.
Essay Topic 2
Write a summary of The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why you think Hemingway did or did not know about deep sea fishing.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)