|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of sharks came the second time?
2. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
3. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
4. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
5. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify a few passages in the story that indicate the pride of Santiago.
2. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
3. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
4. Why is the story about an old man instead of a young one?
5. Describe Santiago's meal on the second day and why he was so pleased after he ate.
6. Why did Santiago give up arm wrestling?
7. Why did Santiago decide he could sleep a while on the second night?
8. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
9. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
10. Why was it simple for Santiago to defeat the Negro of Cienfuegas when they had a rematch in the spring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about gaining knowledge and wisdom through experience versus formal education. Use Santiago as your example.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Santiago's opinion of himself that he is a strange old man and must prove it.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about respect for nature. Use Santiago as support for your position.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)