|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
2. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
3. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
4. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
5. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new indication tells Santiago and the reader that this is a truly remarkable fish after the moonlight jump?
2. How does the old man utilize the power of positive thinking as he struggles with the huge marlin during the night?
3. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
4. After Santiago manages to kill the shovel-nosed sharks that have taken about a quarter of the meat off his marlin, how does he feel?
5. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
6. Explain the meaning of the statement that Santiago loved the lions in his dreams like he loved the boy.
7. What is the bond between Santiago and the boy?
8. It was noon when the old man hooked the fish and four hours later he thinks about something odd. What is it?
9. Toward the end of the second day, Santiago assesses his situation and thinks he has several new advantages. What are they?
10. What is Santiago's analysis of having a cramp, especially when one is alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the importance of self-confidence.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about symbolism Hemingway uses in The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how people turn to religion when times are difficult.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)