|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
2. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
3. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
4. Who does Santiago say should get the head of the marlin?
5. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Show how Hemingway uses the literary form of personification as Santiago thinks about the great fish he has hooked.
2. There is something almost religious about Santiago's walk to his shack after landing with the bones of the marlin. Describe it.
3. Explain the meaning of the statement that Santiago loved the lions in his dreams like he loved the boy.
4. Why is the story about an old man instead of a young one?
5. Identify a few passages in the story that indicate the pride of Santiago.
6. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
7. Describe the last moments that define the valor of the great marlin.
8. What significance does Santiago place on the sudden pull the fish makes on the line after swimming steadily all night long?
9. Give an example of how Santiago refuses to give up after losing the harpoon.
10. What is the metaphoric significance of the arm wrestling match in Casablanca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a summary of The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the importance of knowing what you are up against in any conflict. In the essay explain how it helped Santiago to see his fish.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining you opinion on what happens to the old man after he returns with the marlin bones.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)