|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Santiago and the boy enjoy a beer on the Terrace?
2. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
3. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
4. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
5. Who does Santiago say should get the head of the marlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from the times that Santiago actually says, "I'm lonely", how does Hemingway emphasize that situation?
2. Why did Santiago decide he could sleep a while on the second night?
3. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
4. Since the fish is too large to fit into the boat, how does Santiago plan on getting it back to shore?
5. As the conflict between man and fish continues, what does Santiago contemplate to gain advantage for himself? Explain.
6. How does the conflict intensify on the second night?
7. Explain the meaning of the statement that Santiago loved the lions in his dreams like he loved the boy.
8. How does Santiago compare himself to the great sea turtles that are as big as a skiff and weigh a ton?
9. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
10. How does Hemingway demonstrate Santiago's expertise as a sailor and fisherman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a summary of The Old Man and the Sea.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the effects of loneliness on people.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about gaining knowledge and wisdom through experience versus formal education. Use Santiago as your example.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)