|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
(a) Pulls the boat farther out to sea.
(b) Chases the flying fish.
(c) Comes to the surface from time to time.
(d) Tries to pull the boat under the water.
2. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
(a) The Baltimore Orioles.
(b) The Red Sox.
(c) The White Sox.
(d) The Cleveland Indians.
3. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 87 days.
(c) 84 days.
(d) 6 months.
4. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
(b) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
(c) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
(d) The head of the marlin.
5. When does the old man hoist his sail?
(a) When he could not row because of the fish at the side of the skiff.
(b) When it is time to return to the island.
(c) When the winds died down.
(d) When he thought he heard an airplane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
2. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
3. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
4. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
5. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
Short Essay Questions
1. While sleeping in the boat, what are Santiago's dream like?
2. Toward the end of the second day, Santiago assesses his situation and thinks he has several new advantages. What are they?
3. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
4. Describe the danger the Portuguese man-of-war man of war poses to a fisherman in a boat.
5. What is the literary purpose of references to Joe DiMaggio in the story?
6. How does Hemingway use conversation between the old man and the boy to show Santiago's age?
7. Explain the meaning of the statement that Santiago loved the lions in his dreams like he loved the boy.
8. It was noon when the old man hooked the fish and four hours later he thinks about something odd. What is it?
9. Aside from the times that Santiago actually says, "I'm lonely", how does Hemingway emphasize that situation?
10. How does Santiago think about the night time conflict between himself and the great fish?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)