|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) The boy will be there waiting for him.
(b) There is little damage to his boat.
(c) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
(d) He will never have to go fishing again.
2. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) Small fishing nets.
(b) A frying pan.
(c) A light.
(d) Flying fish bait.
3. Does Santiago think of the wind as his friend?
(a) Yes. Sometimes.
(b) No, because it storms a lot in the Caribbean.
(c) Yes, because it is always there.
(d) No, because it is fickle.
4. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) They must weigh about the same.
(b) Both of them are old and past their prime.
(c) There is no one to help either of them.
(d) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
5. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
(a) He found Santiago dead in his shack.
(b) He was too tired from fishing the day before.
(c) The winds were too strong for the boats to sail that morning.
(d) He wanted to stay on the shore and watch for the old man's return.
Short Answer Questions
1. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
2. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
3. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
4. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
5. What does Santiago wish he could show the fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the marlin jumps during the night, there is a lull. What does it allow Santiago to do?
2. Toward the end of the second day, Santiago assesses his situation and thinks he has several new advantages. What are they?
3. Why can the old man not let go of the line as the big fish tows his skiff farther out to sea?
4. Why was it simple for Santiago to defeat the Negro of Cienfuegas when they had a rematch in the spring?
5. What is the metaphoric significance of the arm wrestling match in Casablanca?
6. What makes Manolin cry after he discovers the old man at his house?
7. On the second night, describe the old man's recollection that shows how strong he was years ago.
8. There is something almost religious about Santiago's walk to his shack after landing with the bones of the marlin. Describe it.
9. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
10. Why is the story about an old man instead of a young one?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)