|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The yank causes his back to ache.
(b) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
(c) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(d) The old man falls over and hits his head.
2. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
(a) Makes the dolphins go away.
(b) Scares up a school of flying fish.
(c) Bounces like a basketball.
(d) Startles Santiago.
3. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
(a) He changes course and heads south.
(b) He starts going in circles.
(c) None. He continues to swim steadily.
(d) He picks up speed.
4. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(b) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
(c) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
(d) He always wears a new shirt.
5. What does the boy order for Santiago at the Terrace Cafe?
(a) Hot coffee with plenty of milk and sugar.
(b) A bag of ice to help bring down his fever.
(c) Yellow rice and fried fish.
(d) Two bottles of warm beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
2. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
3. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
4. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
5. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Toward the end of the second day, Santiago assesses his situation and thinks he has several new advantages. What are they?
2. Explain the meaning of the statement that Santiago loved the lions in his dreams like he loved the boy.
3. When there is another bite on one of his other lines, Santiago cuts it loose. Why?
4. Explain the first indication that Santiago has that he has caught a very large fish, even though he has not seen it and does know know what kind of fish it is.
5. What makes Manolin cry after he discovers the old man at his house?
6. Santiago recalls that he used to sing on the turtle boats, whereas now he talks out loud to himself. When does he think the talking began?
7. How does Hemingway demonstrate Santiago's expertise as a sailor and fisherman?
8. Why is it important for Santiago to see the fish he has caught?
9. When the big fish first takes the bait, the old man thought about what he was sure the fish would do but he did not say it out loud. Why?
10. Describe Santiago's meal on the second day and why he was so pleased after he ate.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)