|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
(a) Man eaters.
2. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
(a) He would get too tired because baseball games do not last for days.
(b) Better, because his is young and strong and his father was a fisherman.
(c) He couldn't do it at all because of his bone spur.
(d) Not so well except at clubbing the big fish to death.
3. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
(a) A broken bottle.
(b) The tiller.
(c) The mast.
(d) His fists.
4. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
(a) Sails or smoke from ships.
(b) Evidence of sharks in the water.
(c) Dangerous reefs he might wreck on.
(d) Signs of land up ahead.
5. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) A light.
(b) Small fishing nets.
(c) A frying pan.
(d) Flying fish bait.
Short Answer Questions
1. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
2. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
3. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
4. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
5. Why does Santiago decide to go farther out to sea than usual?
Short Essay Questions
1. When there is another bite on one of his other lines, Santiago cuts it loose. Why?
2. How does Santiago think about the night time conflict between himself and the great fish?
3. Discuss the physical infirmity that begins to plague Santiago on the second day at sea.
4. What happens when the first shark attacks the marlin?
5. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
6. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
7. Why is it important for Santiago to see the fish he has caught?
8. What does the fish do that helps revive Santiago from his weariness?
9. What makes Manolin cry after he discovers the old man at his house?
10. While sleeping in the boat, what are Santiago's dream like?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)