|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of sharks came the second time?
(a) Great white sharks.
(b) Hammer head sharks.
(c) Shovel-nosed sharks.
(d) Yellow sharks.
2. What does Santiago do when another fish takes the bait on another line?
(a) He laughs at his good luck.
(b) He hopes it is small enough to attract other big fish.
(c) He cuts it loose.
(d) He drops anchor.
3. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
(a) The shark almost pulls the old man overboard.
(b) The knife comes untied from the oar.
(c) The knife blade snaps off.
(d) At that moment the wind dies down.
4. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
(a) He was too tired from fishing the day before.
(b) He found Santiago dead in his shack.
(c) He wanted to stay on the shore and watch for the old man's return.
(d) The winds were too strong for the boats to sail that morning.
5. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
(a) He is reading the baseball scores.
(b) He is still sleeping.
(c) He is making a new harpoon.
(d) He is looking for something to eat.
6. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
(a) Scares up a school of flying fish.
(b) Startles Santiago.
(c) Bounces like a basketball.
(d) Makes the dolphins go away.
7. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
(a) Never eat on the boat again.
(b) Bring along salt and limes.
(c) Rig up a stove on his skiff.
(d) Bring sandwiches.
8. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
(a) Before it is light.
(b) Right after daybreak.
(c) By noon.
(d) All night.
9. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
(b) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
(c) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(d) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
10. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
(b) The boy.
(c) The great DiMaggio.
(d) The other fishermen in the village.
11. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
(a) That it is possible for him to work the hook out of his mouth.
(b) That he has no chance to escape from the hook and line.
(c) That the boat is not just another big fish.
(d) That there is a man on the other end of the line and the man is old.
12. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
(a) A flying fish.
(b) An albacore.
(c) A warbler.
(d) A sea turtle.
13. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
(a) This time he has only a small casting net with him.
(b) Before he always had someone to help him.
(c) Before he was in a much larger boat.
(d) This time the fish shows no signs of tiring.
14. What does Santiago think there are people who are paid to do?
(a) Write books about fishing.
(b) Build bigger boats than his.
(c) Understand the omens.
(d) Think about sin.
15. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
(a) There is little weight now on the side of his boat.
(b) The winds pick up.
(c) He is being carried by the Gulf Stream.
(d) Sharks are pushing it along.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
2. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
3. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
4. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
5. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)