|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
(b) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
(c) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(d) It would take away too much of his own strength.
2. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
(a) That he has been headed the wrong way.
(b) That people are worrying about him.
(c) That the boy won't be there to help him.
(d) That the bones of the marlin will fall off.
3. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
(a) Just before sunset.
(b) Immediately after he ran them off the first time.
(c) Just after dark.
(d) Early the next morning.
4. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
(a) He remembers that horses are blind at night.
(b) He recalls not ever seeing well after the sun went down.
(c) He recalls being able to see in total darkness.
(d) He remembers he once had night vision like a cat.
5. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
(a) It will try to knock him out of the boat.
(b) It will not bother him if it is not hungry.
(c) It has no fear and will do whatever it wants.
(d) It will not swim fast enough to catch the boat.
6. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
(a) That fishermen would say he found the marlin dead and floating in the water.
(b) That there would soon be other sharks.
(c) That he would not win a prize for catching the largest marlin.
(d) That people would think he had eaten part of his catch.
7. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 7 years old.
(c) 10 years old.
(d) 15 years old.
8. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
(a) The fish tries to jump into the boat with the old man.
(b) It goes high into the air and comes back down, blinding Santiago with sea spray.
(c) The harpoon line breaks and the marlin gets away.
(d) The marlin starts swimming fast and pulls the boat with him.
9. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
(a) To let out the line.
(b) To let the boat turn around and around as the fish circles.
(c) To jump in to fight the fish.
(d) To give the fish less and less line.
10. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
(b) Spear fishing.
(d) Drinking beer.
11. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
(a) Before it is light.
(b) All night.
(c) Right after daybreak.
(d) By noon.
12. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
(a) He thinks the marlin would get away because it can jump so high.
(b) He imagines the marlin would eat the harks.
(c) He imagines it fighting the sharks with the spear on its head.
(d) He thinks the marlin could outswim the sharks.
13. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
(b) A vast school of porpoises.
(c) A flight on a plane.
(d) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
14. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The yank causes his back to ache.
(b) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
(c) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(d) The old man falls over and hits his head.
15. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
(a) Another plane flies over at a low altitude.
(b) The marlin is jumping again and again out of the sea.
(c) The smell of the leftover raw fish.
(d) It starts to rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
2. What does the boy order for Santiago at the Terrace Cafe?
3. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
4. What is the boy's name?
5. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)