|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
(b) A flight on a plane.
(c) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
(d) A vast school of porpoises.
2. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
(a) The first marlin he ever caught.
(b) The marlin he and the boy caught 86 days ago.
(c) A female marlin that her mate kept jumping up to see where she was.
(d) A marlin that once broke his line and got away.
3. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
(a) A storm comes up.
(b) The great fish surfaces.
(c) His line breaks.
(d) There is a beautiful sunrise.
4. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
(a) Only my hands.
(b) Not much.
(c) Not at all.
5. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
(a) He felt like a young man again.
(b) There was more bleeding from the cuts on his hands.
(c) His hand uncramped.
(d) His backache went away.
6. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
(a) Broken knives.
(d) Catching a larger fish.
7. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The yank causes his back to ache.
(b) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
(c) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(d) The old man falls over and hits his head.
8. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
(b) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(c) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
(d) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
9. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
(a) He tries to get a new sail for Santiago's boat.
(b) He tries to get his mother to make food for Santiago.
(c) He tries to get the boat he is now on to go far out near the old man.
(d) He tries to get better bait for Santiago.
10. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
11. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
(a) A newspaper with the baseball scores.
(b) His bed has been stolen.
(c) A warm beer.
(d) A water bottle.
12. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
(a) Bring sandwiches.
(b) Rig up a stove on his skiff.
(c) Bring along salt and limes.
(d) Never eat on the boat again.
13. Who does Santiago say should get the head of the marlin?
(b) The alcalde.
(d) The boy.
14. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
(a) Easy work.
(b) Boy Scout work.
(c) Dugout work.
(d) Slave work.
15. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
(a) The marlin is jumping again and again out of the sea.
(b) The smell of the leftover raw fish.
(c) It starts to rain.
(d) Another plane flies over at a low altitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
2. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
3. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
4. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
5. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)