|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
(b) A school of dolphins following the boat.
(c) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(d) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
2. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
(a) He has eaten but the marlin has not.
(b) On the surface, he can see the stars but the marlin cannot.
(c) He will be able to sleep but the marlin cannot.
(d) Night time is easier for a man than for a fish.
3. Why does Santiago decide to go farther out to sea than usual?
(a) He thinks big fish may be out where the schools of bonito and albacore stay.
(b) He thinks the nearer waters have been fished out.
(c) He has never been far out before.
(d) He wants to get away from other boats.
4. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
(a) The marlin is jumping again and again out of the sea.
(b) It starts to rain.
(c) The smell of the leftover raw fish.
(d) Another plane flies over at a low altitude.
5. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
(a) He falls down when he tries to get to the tiller.
(b) He can bring back the pain in his hands by opening and closing them.
(c) He pinches himself.
(d) He feels hungry.
6. What does the boy order for Santiago at the Terrace Cafe?
(a) Yellow rice and fried fish.
(b) A bag of ice to help bring down his fever.
(c) Hot coffee with plenty of milk and sugar.
(d) Two bottles of warm beer.
7. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
(b) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
(c) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
(d) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
8. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
(a) Small sharks trying to get the last of the meat off the marlin.
(b) The skeleton of the great fish lashed to the skiff.
(c) Gulls swarming around his boat.
(d) Nothing, because there is no light.
9. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
(a) Not so well except at clubbing the big fish to death.
(b) He would get too tired because baseball games do not last for days.
(c) Better, because his is young and strong and his father was a fisherman.
(d) He couldn't do it at all because of his bone spur.
10. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two days.
(d) Only that morning.
11. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
(b) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
(c) Save money and buy that boat.
(d) Come back and go fishing with him.
12. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
(a) He has not been able to go to the cock fights.
(b) He cannot remember what the boy looks like.
(c) He does not know the baseball game scores.
(d) He has not had a beer in two days.
13. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
(a) Just before sunset.
(b) Just after dark.
(c) Immediately after he ran them off the first time.
(d) Early the next morning.
14. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
(a) His bed has been stolen.
(b) A water bottle.
(c) A newspaper with the baseball scores.
(d) A warm beer.
15. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
(a) Before it is light.
(b) By noon.
(c) Right after daybreak.
(d) All night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
2. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
3. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
4. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
5. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)