|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
(a) Beat the sharks to death.
(b) Scare the sharks away.
(c) Keep them away from the marlin.
(d) Hurt the sharks badly.
2. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
(b) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
(c) The head of the marlin.
(d) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
3. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
(a) He was getting a good look at his fish.
(b) He thinks the fish is about to die.
(c) The fish had filled its air sacs and could not dive deep again.
(d) When the fish jumps the boat stands still.
4. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
(b) That so many years have passed since that time.
(c) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
(d) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
5. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
(a) Catching more dolphin and making them pull against the marlin.
(b) Tying off the line and rowing in the opposite direction.
(c) Raising the sail when the wind blows in the opposite direction.
(d) Lashing the oars across the stern of the skiff to increase drag.
6. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
(a) Not much.
(b) Not at all.
(d) Only my hands.
7. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
(a) Imagine all that work just to feed the sharks.
(b) You give me much good counsel. I'm tired of it.
(c) I caught the biggest fish ever but no one will believe it.
(d) If more sharks come and eat the rest of the fish, the boat will go faster.
8. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
(a) The afternoon sun was on his back.
(b) His compass indicated the direction.
(c) The eastern sea breezes grew stronger.
(d) The skiff began to go slower against the east wind.
9. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
(a) To jump in to fight the fish.
(b) To let out the line.
(c) To let the boat turn around and around as the fish circles.
(d) To give the fish less and less line.
10. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
(a) He does not know the baseball game scores.
(b) He has not had a beer in two days.
(c) He cannot remember what the boy looks like.
(d) He has not been able to go to the cock fights.
11. What does the old man think about a cramp?
(a) It will make him stop fishing.
(b) It is something that goes away quickly.
(c) It humiliates oneself.
(d) It is better than having to vomit.
12. After the second brown shark is killed, what does it do?
(a) It jumps into the boat with Santiago.
(b) It pulls the skiff over by its dead weight.
(c) It hangs onto the place where it had bit into the marlin.
(d) It pulls the marlin down with its lifeless body to the bottom of the sea.
13. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 10 years old.
(d) 7 years old.
14. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
(a) He recalls being able to see in total darkness.
(b) He recalls not ever seeing well after the sun went down.
(c) He remembers that horses are blind at night.
(d) He remembers he once had night vision like a cat.
15. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
(a) By leaving its skin on and only removing its entrails.
(b) By using his left hand and right foot.
(c) By tying the line to the marlin on the thale.
(d) By using his right hand and holding it steady with his foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to snap the old man out of his conversation with the bird?
2. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
3. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
4. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
5. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)