|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
(a) He wants to get free tickets to a Yankee game.
(b) He heard that DiMaggio's father was a fisherman.
(c) He thinks DiMaggio would be good at clubbing sharks to death.
(d) He would like to talk about baseball while he fished.
2. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(b) It would take away too much of his own strength.
(c) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
(d) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
3. What makes the flying fish jump out of the water and scatter feverishly?
(a) The rising sun.
(b) The man-of-war bird circling overhead.
(d) A shark.
4. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
(a) They have no serious competition in their last games.
(b) They never need luck to win.
(c) They lost once and won't let it happen again.
(d) DiMaggio has recovered from his injury.
5. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
(a) It will try to knock him out of the boat.
(b) It has no fear and will do whatever it wants.
(c) It will not bother him if it is not hungry.
(d) It will not swim fast enough to catch the boat.
6. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
(a) The sharks know he cannot see them in the dark.
(b) He is still having bad luck.
(c) The boy is not there to help him.
(d) There is still half of the meat left on the marlin.
7. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
(a) That he might die.
(b) That he will fall asleep and go overborad.
(c) That the marlin will come up slowly and eat his dolphin.
(d) That he will become unclear in the head.
8. How many rows of teeth does the Mako shark have?
9. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
(a) He gives the fish more line.
(b) He ties down the line to wait for the fish to tire.
(c) He carefuly starts pulling in the line.
(d) He runs up the skiff's sail.
10. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
(a) His large casting net.
(b) His harpoon.
(c) Another bite of flying fish.
(d) His water bottle.
11. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
(b) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
(c) The call of humpback whales.
(d) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
12. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
(a) He wonders what the sea looks like from that height.
(b) He hardly glances at the plane as it goes over.
(c) He thinks planes are the same size as flying fish.
(d) He says out loud that he would never get on one of those things.
13. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
(a) He is reading the baseball scores.
(b) He is still sleeping.
(c) He is looking for something to eat.
(d) He is making a new harpoon.
14. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
(a) The tiller.
(b) His fists.
(c) A broken bottle.
(d) The mast.
15. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
(a) About ten at night.
(b) Early the next morning before dawn.
(c) Just as he is about to give up.
(d) After the moon rises.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
2. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
3. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
4. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
5. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)