|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
(a) He gets the priest to bless his boat.
(b) He takes his lucky charms with him.
(c) He buys a new sail for his boat.
(d) He plans to row far out to fish.
2. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
(b) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
(c) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
(d) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
3. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
(a) His neck hurts from continually looking down at the water.
(b) The sunlight gives him a headache.
(c) He cuts himself with a knife.
(d) His hand cramps.
4. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My morning visitor.
(b) My alarm clock.
(c) My tormentor.
(d) My big problem.
5. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
(a) The bones of the marlin.
(b) The glow of the city lights on the shore.
(c) Another 84 days of bad luck.
(d) A lost harpoon, a broken knife, and two bad hands.
6. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
(a) By leaving its skin on and only removing its entrails.
(b) By using his right hand and holding it steady with his foot.
(c) By tying the line to the marlin on the thale.
(d) By using his left hand and right foot.
7. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
(a) The harpoon line breaks and the marlin gets away.
(b) The fish tries to jump into the boat with the old man.
(c) The marlin starts swimming fast and pulls the boat with him.
(d) It goes high into the air and comes back down, blinding Santiago with sea spray.
8. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
(a) He tells them that Santiago is sleeping and they are not to disturb him.
(b) He holds back his tears so the men will not see his concern.
(c) He refuses to speak to the other fishermen in the village.
(d) He starts a fight with a fisherman who is laughing at the old man.
9. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
(a) From the currents.
(b) From the seagulls.
(c) From the curve of his sail.
(d) From the clouds.
10. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
(a) Beat the sharks to death.
(b) Scare the sharks away.
(c) Hurt the sharks badly.
(d) Keep them away from the marlin.
11. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
(a) They all look green in the water.
(b) They have purple stripes or spots.
(c) They turn yellow when they are angry or frightened.
(d) They are always hungry.
12. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
(a) He baits a hook and throws out another line.
(b) He thinks he is dreaming.
(c) He tosses the rotting fish carcasses overboard to distract the shark.
(d) He gets his harpoon ready.
13. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(b) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(c) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
(d) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
14. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
(a) The long wet line he has now pulled into the skiff.
(b) The look in the marlin's eye.
(c) His damaged hands and his painful back.
(d) The damage to his boat.
15. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) The head of the marlin.
(b) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
(c) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
(d) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
2. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
3. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
4. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
5. What happens to Santiago as he carries the mast up the hill?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)