|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
(b) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
(c) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
(d) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
2. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
(a) He couldn't do it at all because of his bone spur.
(b) Not so well except at clubbing the big fish to death.
(c) Better, because his is young and strong and his father was a fisherman.
(d) He would get too tired because baseball games do not last for days.
3. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
(a) That he will become unclear in the head.
(b) That the marlin will come up slowly and eat his dolphin.
(c) That he might die.
(d) That he will fall asleep and go overborad.
4. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
(a) Sharks are pushing it along.
(b) There is little weight now on the side of his boat.
(c) He is being carried by the Gulf Stream.
(d) The winds pick up.
5. After the second brown shark is killed, what does it do?
(a) It pulls the skiff over by its dead weight.
(b) It hangs onto the place where it had bit into the marlin.
(c) It jumps into the boat with Santiago.
(d) It pulls the marlin down with its lifeless body to the bottom of the sea.
6. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
(a) Twice as long as the last marlin he caught.
(b) Twice as long as he is tall.
(c) Two feet longer than the skiff.
(d) Longer than a small tree is tall.
7. What is the one thing not beautiful about the Mako shark?
(a) His jaws.
(b) His color.
(c) His movements.
(d) His dorsal fin.
8. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
(a) He says to damn his fish and starts crying again.
(b) He says the proprietor should see what the old man caught.
(c) He says to tell people to go visit the old man.
(d) He says to stop talking or it will bring him bad luck.
9. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
(a) He was too tired from fishing the day before.
(b) The winds were too strong for the boats to sail that morning.
(c) He found Santiago dead in his shack.
(d) He wanted to stay on the shore and watch for the old man's return.
10. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
(a) Friends and enemies.
(b) Mermaids and shells.
(c) Fish bigger than the marlin he caught.
(d) Sharks and seaweed.
11. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
(a) It has too much sugar and condensed milk in it.
(b) It is all he will have until he returns that night.
(c) He cannot afford another cup of coffee.
(d) It is too hot.
12. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
(a) They turn yellow when they are angry or frightened.
(b) They all look green in the water.
(c) They are always hungry.
(d) They have purple stripes or spots.
13. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
(a) He remembers that horses are blind at night.
(b) He recalls not ever seeing well after the sun went down.
(c) He recalls being able to see in total darkness.
(d) He remembers he once had night vision like a cat.
14. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
(a) Coconut and barbecue.
(b) Tuna sandwiches.
(c) Sardines and saltine crackers.
(d) Yellow rice and fish.
15. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
(a) The bad smelling dolphin.
(b) A jellyfish.
(c) The cleaned flying fish.
(d) Some jerky he forgot he had in his pocket.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
2. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
3. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
4. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
5. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)