|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
(a) He cannot use his hand at all and the boy could take over.
(b) He thinks how the boy would massage his hand.
(c) His hand makes a claw that he thinks the boy would find funny.
(d) He thinks the boy would remember how that had happened before.
2. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
(a) Saving other lives.
(b) Respect for the marlin.
(d) The reward money.
3. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
(a) They lost once and won't let it happen again.
(b) They never need luck to win.
(c) DiMaggio has recovered from his injury.
(d) They have no serious competition in their last games.
4. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) A vast school of porpoises.
(b) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
(c) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
(d) A flight on a plane.
5. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
(a) They turn yellow when they are angry or frightened.
(b) They are always hungry.
(c) They all look green in the water.
(d) They have purple stripes or spots.
6. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
(b) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
(c) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
(d) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
7. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
(b) The head of the marlin.
(c) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
(d) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
8. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
(a) Cutting it up as soon as he caught it and letting it sun dry.
(b) Soaking it in sea water before eating it.
(c) Splashing sea water on the bow and letting it dry to get the salt.
(d) Chopping it up into smaller pieces.
9. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
(a) Before he always had someone to help him.
(b) This time the fish shows no signs of tiring.
(c) This time he has only a small casting net with him.
(d) Before he was in a much larger boat.
10. What kind of sharks came the second time?
(a) Hammer head sharks.
(b) Great white sharks.
(c) Yellow sharks.
(d) Shovel-nosed sharks.
11. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
(a) The pain of a sting ray's attack.
(b) Joe DiMaggio's bone spur.
(c) The teeth of the shark.
(d) Hitting a home run.
12. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
(a) From the curve of his sail.
(b) From the clouds.
(c) From the seagulls.
(d) From the currents.
13. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
(a) That he has no chance to escape from the hook and line.
(b) That it is possible for him to work the hook out of his mouth.
(c) That the boat is not just another big fish.
(d) That there is a man on the other end of the line and the man is old.
14. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Only that morning.
(d) One day.
15. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
(a) Yellow fish swimming just below the surface.
(b) People making love under a yellow blanket.
(c) Yellow sheets hanging on a line in the sun.
(d) A yellow oil slick on the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
2. What does Santiago dream of?
3. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
4. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
5. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)