|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
(a) The broken water bottle, the oars, and a club.
(b) The oars, the anchor, and some line.
(c) A broken knife, some big fish hooks, and the oars.
(d) Two oars, the tiller, and a short club.
2. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
(a) It is too hot.
(b) He cannot afford another cup of coffee.
(c) It is all he will have until he returns that night.
(d) It has too much sugar and condensed milk in it.
3. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) Small fishing nets.
(b) A frying pan.
(c) A light.
(d) Flying fish bait.
4. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
(b) That so many years have passed since that time.
(c) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
(d) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
5. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
(a) He imagines the marlin would eat the harks.
(b) He thinks the marlin would get away because it can jump so high.
(c) He thinks the marlin could outswim the sharks.
(d) He imagines it fighting the sharks with the spear on its head.
6. After the second brown shark is killed, what does it do?
(a) It pulls the skiff over by its dead weight.
(b) It hangs onto the place where it had bit into the marlin.
(c) It pulls the marlin down with its lifeless body to the bottom of the sea.
(d) It jumps into the boat with Santiago.
7. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
(d) Man eaters.
8. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) The fact that he cannot sleep.
(b) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
(c) The indignity of being caught by a man.
(d) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
9. Why do the sharks finally go away?
(a) Their heads hurt from the bat blows.
(b) They know the old man is dying.
(c) There is nothing left to eat on the marlin.
(d) They cannot see in the dark.
10. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
(a) Knowledge of many tricks and resolutions.
(b) The mind of a fish.
(c) An unsinkable boat.
(d) The very best equipment.
11. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
(a) 87 days.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 84 days.
12. Why does Santiago decide to go farther out to sea than usual?
(a) He wants to get away from other boats.
(b) He thinks the nearer waters have been fished out.
(c) He thinks big fish may be out where the schools of bonito and albacore stay.
(d) He has never been far out before.
13. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
(a) A lost harpoon, a broken knife, and two bad hands.
(b) The bones of the marlin.
(c) Another 84 days of bad luck.
(d) The glow of the city lights on the shore.
14. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
(a) Fish, you are going to die. Do you have to kill me, too?
(b) Fish, you will look good hanging from my wall.
(c) Fish, why don't you just give up?
(d) Fish, don't you understand that you are beaten already?
15. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
(a) Eat more raw fish to survive.
(b) Cut the marlin loose and go back saying he had another day of bad luck.
(c) Kill the great fish on the end of his line.
(d) Act strange for the boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
2. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
3. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
4. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
5. What is the boy's name?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)