|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing not beautiful about the Mako shark?
(a) His color.
(b) His jaws.
(c) His dorsal fin.
(d) His movements.
2. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
(a) He never catches any fish.
(b) He never lets me carry anything.
(c) He makes him carry everything to and from the boat.
(d) He thinks he knows everything better than Santiago.
3. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
(a) The sunlight gives him a headache.
(b) He cuts himself with a knife.
(c) His hand cramps.
(d) His neck hurts from continually looking down at the water.
4. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
(a) The brain and the eye.
(b) The underbelly and the dorsal fin.
(c) The jaw and the fins.
(d) Both eyes.
5. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
(b) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
(c) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
(d) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
6. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
(a) He will be able to sleep but the marlin cannot.
(b) Night time is easier for a man than for a fish.
(c) He has eaten but the marlin has not.
(d) On the surface, he can see the stars but the marlin cannot.
7. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
(b) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
(c) That so many years have passed since that time.
(d) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
8. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
(a) Two days.
(b) One day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Only that morning.
9. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
(a) Not having the boy with him.
(b) The broken knife blade.
(c) His cramped left hand.
(d) Nothing. He only went too far out.
10. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
(b) Come back and go fishing with him.
(c) Save money and buy that boat.
(d) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
11. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
(a) By using his right hand and holding it steady with his foot.
(b) By tying the line to the marlin on the thale.
(c) By using his left hand and right foot.
(d) By leaving its skin on and only removing its entrails.
12. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
(a) That he will kill him before the day is over.
(b) That he will die there with the fish.
(c) That he will cut him loose if he does not jump out of the water.
(d) That he will let the fish go after he pulls him up to the surface.
13. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
(a) They take shark livers from the sea.
(b) They see it as a dangerous enemy.
(c) They like to think of themselves being as strong as the sea.
(d) They see it as a generous man.
14. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
(a) Immediately after he ran them off the first time.
(b) Early the next morning.
(c) Just before sunset.
(d) Just after dark.
15. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
(a) Boy Scout work.
(b) Slave work.
(c) Dugout work.
(d) Easy work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
2. What does Santiago dream of?
3. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
4. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
5. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)