|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
(a) His backache went away.
(b) His hand uncramped.
(c) He felt like a young man again.
(d) There was more bleeding from the cuts on his hands.
2. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
(a) It will try to knock him out of the boat.
(b) It will not bother him if it is not hungry.
(c) It will not swim fast enough to catch the boat.
(d) It has no fear and will do whatever it wants.
3. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
(a) DiMaggio has recovered from his injury.
(b) They have no serious competition in their last games.
(c) They lost once and won't let it happen again.
(d) They never need luck to win.
4. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
(a) They are unworthy to eat him.
(b) They will receive some of the marlin's strength when they eat him.
(c) They will be more dignified than the marlin.
(d) They will refuse to eat him.
5. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
(a) The knife blade snaps off.
(b) At that moment the wind dies down.
(c) The shark almost pulls the old man overboard.
(d) The knife comes untied from the oar.
6. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
(a) The boy would harpoon the marlin as it jumped out of the water.
(b) The boy would have taken over for him and let him go back to sleep.
(c) The boy would talk to him and keep him awake.
(d) The boy would have kept the line wet so that they did not cut his hands.
7. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
(b) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
(c) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
(d) The head of the marlin.
8. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
(a) He thought of how some men feared being out of sight of land in a small boat.
(b) Light brisa, he thought, better weather for me than for you, fish.
(c) God help me to have the cramp go.
(d) I wish I could feed the fish, he thought. He is my brother.
9. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
(a) Drinking beer.
(d) Spear fishing.
10. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
(b) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
(c) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
(d) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
11. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
(a) His large casting net.
(b) Another bite of flying fish.
(c) His harpoon.
(d) His water bottle.
12. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
(a) Always bring the boy with him.
(b) Get himself a larger boat.
(c) Say a hundred Our Fathers and a hundred Hail Marys.
(d) Go to church every morning.
13. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 87 days.
(c) 84 days.
(d) 1 year.
14. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(b) As he furls the sail.
(c) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(d) As he ties the boat to a rock.
15. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
(b) That so many years have passed since that time.
(c) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
(d) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
2. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
3. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
4. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
5. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)