|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
(a) The Baltimore Orioles.
(b) The White Sox.
(c) The Red Sox.
(d) The Cleveland Indians.
2. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
(b) A vast school of porpoises.
(c) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
(d) A flight on a plane.
3. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
(a) A storm comes up.
(b) The great fish surfaces.
(c) There is a beautiful sunrise.
(d) His line breaks.
4. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
(b) That so many years have passed since that time.
(c) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
(d) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
5. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
(a) Joe DiMaggio's bone spur.
(b) Hitting a home run.
(c) The teeth of the shark.
(d) The pain of a sting ray's attack.
6. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
(a) Two oars, the tiller, and a short club.
(b) A broken knife, some big fish hooks, and the oars.
(c) The oars, the anchor, and some line.
(d) The broken water bottle, the oars, and a club.
7. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
(a) You give me much good counsel. I'm tired of it.
(b) Imagine all that work just to feed the sharks.
(c) I caught the biggest fish ever but no one will believe it.
(d) If more sharks come and eat the rest of the fish, the boat will go faster.
8. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
(a) The boy.
(b) The great DiMaggio.
(c) The other fishermen in the village.
9. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
(a) The giant turtles.
(b) The dolphins.
(c) The flying fish.
(d) The song birds.
10. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
(a) It has no fear and will do whatever it wants.
(b) It will not bother him if it is not hungry.
(c) It will try to knock him out of the boat.
(d) It will not swim fast enough to catch the boat.
11. How does the old man discover that the fish is slowing down?
(a) From the fact that the breeze subsides.
(b) From the way the flying fish jump shorter distances.
(c) From the way the man-of-war bird has to use his wings more.
(d) From the flow of blood from his hand in the water.
12. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
(a) The food he forgot to bring.
(b) The water bottle.
(c) The boy.
(d) The dawn.
13. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
(b) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(c) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
(d) A school of dolphins following the boat.
14. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
(a) He thinks about how much larger the marlin is than the tiny stars.
(b) He considers the difference between night and day while fishing.
(c) He thinks about having to kill the marlin and is glad he does not have to kill the stars.
(d) He thinks about how deep the marlin is and how high the stars are.
15. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
(a) This time he has only a small casting net with him.
(b) Before he always had someone to help him.
(c) Before he was in a much larger boat.
(d) This time the fish shows no signs of tiring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
2. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
3. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
4. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
5. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)