Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Manolin and Santiago.
2. Discuss the idea of luck in The Old Man and the Sea.
3. How do you know that Santiago only intended to fish for one day when he left to go far out into the sea?
4. Describe the scene that shows the good nature and high character of Santiago.
5. Relate the speech the boy makes to show his estimation of Santiago as a fisherman.
6. Discuss how Hemingway uses the man-of-war bird, the dolphins, and the flying fish to explain the nature of life in the sea.
7. Describe the danger the Portuguese man-of-war man of war poses to a fisherman in a boat.
8. How does Santiago compare himself to the great sea turtles that are as big as a skiff and weigh a ton?
9. How does the man-of-war bird help Santiago catch an albacore?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)