|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
(a) That he will cut him loose if he does not jump out of the water.
(b) That he will kill him before the day is over.
(c) That he will die there with the fish.
(d) That he will let the fish go after he pulls him up to the surface.
2. What does the marlin do as the sun rises on the third day?
(a) It jumps every ten minutes.
(b) It begins circling the boat.
(c) It picks up speed and swims on top of the water.
(d) It tries to chew the line.
3. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
(a) He cannot remember what the boy looks like.
(b) He does not know the baseball game scores.
(c) He has not had a beer in two days.
(d) He has not been able to go to the cock fights.
4. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
(a) Rig up a stove on his skiff.
(b) Bring sandwiches.
(c) Bring along salt and limes.
(d) Never eat on the boat again.
5. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
(a) He carefuly starts pulling in the line.
(b) He runs up the skiff's sail.
(c) He ties down the line to wait for the fish to tire.
(d) He gives the fish more line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
2. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
3. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
4. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
5. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)