|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago like to read in the newspaper?
(a) The baseball scores.
(b) The weather forecasts.
(c) The racing odds.
(d) The funny pages.
2. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
(a) So he could get up and walk around.
(b) So he could sleep and dream of lions.
(c) So he could slowly pull the marlin in.
(d) So he could catch his supper.
3. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
(a) The sharks know he cannot see them in the dark.
(b) The boy is not there to help him.
(c) There is still half of the meat left on the marlin.
(d) He is still having bad luck.
4. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
(a) All night.
(b) By noon.
(c) Before it is light.
(d) Right after daybreak.
5. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
(a) He sees the man-of-war bird.
(b) He sees his fishing line moving.
(c) He sees the waves get still.
(d) He sees the fish shimmer in the dawn light.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
2. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
3. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
4. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
5. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)