|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
(a) Going too fast for his lines.
(b) Falling asleep.
(c) Talking out loud to himself.
(d) Thinking about the boy.
2. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
(a) He cannot afford another cup of coffee.
(b) It is too hot.
(c) It is all he will have until he returns that night.
(d) It has too much sugar and condensed milk in it.
3. What does Santiago like to read in the newspaper?
(a) The weather forecasts.
(b) The racing odds.
(c) The baseball scores.
(d) The funny pages.
4. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
(a) To bring the lines up often so the fish will notice the movement.
(b) To use no more than one line at a time.
(c) To keep the lines straight down.
(d) To let the boat drift and put the lines at an angle.
5. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
(b) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
(c) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(d) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
2. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
3. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
4. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
5. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)