|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
(a) He believes it is all he can do now.
(b) He believes it is a sin.
(c) He believes there is no such thing as hope.
(d) He believes it is being real.
2. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(b) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
(c) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
(d) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
3. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
(a) Only my hands.
(c) Not much.
(d) Not at all.
4. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) There is little damage to his boat.
(b) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
(c) He will never have to go fishing again.
(d) The boy will be there waiting for him.
5. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
(a) About ten at night.
(b) Just as he is about to give up.
(c) Early the next morning before dawn.
(d) After the moon rises.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
2. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
3. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
4. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
5. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)