|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
(a) He makes him carry everything to and from the boat.
(b) He never catches any fish.
(c) He never lets me carry anything.
(d) He thinks he knows everything better than Santiago.
2. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
(a) That people are worrying about him.
(b) That the boy won't be there to help him.
(c) That he has been headed the wrong way.
(d) That the bones of the marlin will fall off.
3. What makes the flying fish jump out of the water and scatter feverishly?
(a) The rising sun.
(b) A shark.
(c) The man-of-war bird circling overhead.
4. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
(b) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
(c) The call of humpback whales.
(d) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
5. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
(a) He thinks the fish is about to die.
(b) The fish had filled its air sacs and could not dive deep again.
(c) When the fish jumps the boat stands still.
(d) He was getting a good look at his fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago do when another fish takes the bait on another line?
2. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
3. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
4. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
5. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)