|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
(a) Beat the sharks to death.
(b) Scare the sharks away.
(c) Hurt the sharks badly.
(d) Keep them away from the marlin.
2. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
(a) The winds were too strong for the boats to sail that morning.
(b) He wanted to stay on the shore and watch for the old man's return.
(c) He was too tired from fishing the day before.
(d) He found Santiago dead in his shack.
3. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
(a) Signs of land up ahead.
(b) Sails or smoke from ships.
(c) Evidence of sharks in the water.
(d) Dangerous reefs he might wreck on.
4. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
(a) Boy Scout work.
(b) Dugout work.
(c) Slave work.
(d) Easy work.
5. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
(a) A fish that died of starvation.
(b) What is left of a shark.
(c) A biology experiment.
(d) Evidence of a feast the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
2. How does the old man discover that the fish is slowing down?
3. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
4. After the second brown shark is killed, what does it do?
5. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)