|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
(a) Chopping it up into smaller pieces.
(b) Cutting it up as soon as he caught it and letting it sun dry.
(c) Soaking it in sea water before eating it.
(d) Splashing sea water on the bow and letting it dry to get the salt.
2. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
(a) The damage to his boat.
(b) The long wet line he has now pulled into the skiff.
(c) His damaged hands and his painful back.
(d) The look in the marlin's eye.
3. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
(b) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
(c) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
(d) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
4. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
(a) The afternoon sun was on his back.
(b) The skiff began to go slower against the east wind.
(c) His compass indicated the direction.
(d) The eastern sea breezes grew stronger.
5. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
(a) For fear that it will flood the boat.
(b) For fear that the line will have to be let out again.
(c) For fear that it will attract sharks.
(d) For fear that the hook will work itself loose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the flying fish jump out of the water and scatter feverishly?
2. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
3. How many rows of teeth does the Mako shark have?
4. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
5. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)