|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man think about a cramp?
(a) It is better than having to vomit.
(b) It humiliates oneself.
(c) It is something that goes away quickly.
(d) It will make him stop fishing.
2. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was motivated by hate.
(b) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(c) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(d) The old man was acting out of instinct.
3. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
(a) This time the fish shows no signs of tiring.
(b) This time he has only a small casting net with him.
(c) Before he was in a much larger boat.
(d) Before he always had someone to help him.
4. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
(a) Saving other lives.
(b) Respect for the marlin.
(d) The reward money.
5. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
(a) The marlin is jumping again and again out of the sea.
(b) Another plane flies over at a low altitude.
(c) It starts to rain.
(d) The smell of the leftover raw fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
2. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
3. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
4. After killing the Mako shark, what does Santiago eat?
5. How does he get something to eat?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)