|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
(a) At that moment the wind dies down.
(b) The knife blade snaps off.
(c) The shark almost pulls the old man overboard.
(d) The knife comes untied from the oar.
2. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
(a) A school of dolphins.
(b) Needing more exercise.
(c) Just waking up.
(d) Hunger or fear.
3. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(b) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
(c) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(d) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
4. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he furls the sail.
(b) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(c) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(d) As he ties the boat to a rock.
5. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The old man falls over and hits his head.
(b) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(c) The yank causes his back to ache.
(d) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
2. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
3. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
4. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
5. When does the old man hoist his sail?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)