|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
(a) The boy.
(b) The other fishermen in the village.
(d) The great DiMaggio.
2. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
(a) The teeth of the shark.
(b) Joe DiMaggio's bone spur.
(c) The pain of a sting ray's attack.
(d) Hitting a home run.
3. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
(a) They will be more dignified than the marlin.
(b) They will refuse to eat him.
(c) They will receive some of the marlin's strength when they eat him.
(d) They are unworthy to eat him.
4. How does he know which way to sail?
(a) From the sun and the tradewinds.
(b) From the compass he always had with him.
(c) From the way the flying fish are jumping.
(d) From the stars he had seen the night before.
5. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
(b) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
(c) The marlin is too large.
(d) The skiff is too full of water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
2. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
3. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
4. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
5. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)