|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
(a) By leaving its skin on and only removing its entrails.
(b) By using his left hand and right foot.
(c) By using his right hand and holding it steady with his foot.
(d) By tying the line to the marlin on the thale.
2. When does the old man hoist his sail?
(a) When the winds died down.
(b) When he could not row because of the fish at the side of the skiff.
(c) When it is time to return to the island.
(d) When he thought he heard an airplane.
3. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
(a) That he has no chance to escape from the hook and line.
(b) That there is a man on the other end of the line and the man is old.
(c) That it is possible for him to work the hook out of his mouth.
(d) That the boat is not just another big fish.
4. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
(a) He thinks the marlin could outswim the sharks.
(b) He imagines it fighting the sharks with the spear on its head.
(c) He thinks the marlin would get away because it can jump so high.
(d) He imagines the marlin would eat the harks.
5. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
(a) He tries to get a new sail for Santiago's boat.
(b) He tries to get the boat he is now on to go far out near the old man.
(c) He tries to get his mother to make food for Santiago.
(d) He tries to get better bait for Santiago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
2. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
3. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
4. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
5. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)