|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
(b) Drinking beer.
(c) Spear fishing.
2. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
(a) Two oars, the tiller, and a short club.
(b) A broken knife, some big fish hooks, and the oars.
(c) The oars, the anchor, and some line.
(d) The broken water bottle, the oars, and a club.
3. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) The marlin is too large.
(b) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
(c) The skiff is too full of water.
(d) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
4. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
(b) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(c) He always wears a new shirt.
(d) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
5. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
(a) Yellow rice and fish.
(b) Coconut and barbecue.
(c) Sardines and saltine crackers.
(d) Tuna sandwiches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
2. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
3. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
4. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
5. How does he get something to eat?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)