|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
(b) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
(c) The marlin is too large.
(d) The skiff is too full of water.
2. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) The indignity of being caught by a man.
(b) The fact that he cannot sleep.
(c) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
(d) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
3. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
(b) A vast school of porpoises.
(c) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
(d) A flight on a plane.
4. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
(b) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
(c) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
(d) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
5. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(b) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
(c) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
(d) A school of dolphins following the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
2. Who does Santiago say should get the head of the marlin?
3. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
4. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
5. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)