|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
(b) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(c) The yank causes his back to ache.
(d) The old man falls over and hits his head.
2. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
(a) So he could catch his supper.
(b) So he could sleep and dream of lions.
(c) So he could slowly pull the marlin in.
(d) So he could get up and walk around.
3. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
(a) He wanted to stay on the shore and watch for the old man's return.
(b) The winds were too strong for the boats to sail that morning.
(c) He found Santiago dead in his shack.
(d) He was too tired from fishing the day before.
4. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
(a) Only my hands.
(b) Not at all.
(d) Not much.
5. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
(a) I'll stay with you until I'm dead!
(b) Fish, aren't you getting tired yet?
(c) For heaven's sake, turn around and go the other way.
(d) Come on up and let me get a good look at you!
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
2. Does Santiago think of the wind as his friend?
3. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
4. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
5. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)