|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 84 days.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 87 days.
2. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
(a) Hurt the sharks badly.
(b) Beat the sharks to death.
(c) Keep them away from the marlin.
(d) Scare the sharks away.
3. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
(a) To let the boat turn around and around as the fish circles.
(b) To give the fish less and less line.
(c) To let out the line.
(d) To jump in to fight the fish.
4. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
(a) It is the next morning before he wakes up.
(b) The boy keeps thinking the old man has died.
(c) The old man talks all day in his sleep.
(d) The boy has to re-heat the coffee.
5. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
(a) Sharks and seaweed.
(b) Mermaids and shells.
(c) Friends and enemies.
(d) Fish bigger than the marlin he caught.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
2. When Santiago sees the marlin jump out of the water, what does he realize?
3. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
4. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
5. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)