|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(b) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(c) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
(d) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
2. What happens while Santiago and the boy enjoy a beer on the Terrace?
(a) Some of the fishermen make fun of Santiago while others feel sorry for him.
(b) Santiago discovers that he has no money to pay for the beer.
(c) Santiago feels sad because only the boy will sit and drink with him.
(d) The boy gets drunk because his is not used to drinking beer.
3. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
(a) Light brisa, he thought, better weather for me than for you, fish.
(b) He thought of how some men feared being out of sight of land in a small boat.
(c) I wish I could feed the fish, he thought. He is my brother.
(d) God help me to have the cramp go.
4. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
(a) Act strange for the boy.
(b) Kill the great fish on the end of his line.
(c) Cut the marlin loose and go back saying he had another day of bad luck.
(d) Eat more raw fish to survive.
5. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
(a) Bring sandwiches.
(b) Never eat on the boat again.
(c) Bring along salt and limes.
(d) Rig up a stove on his skiff.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
2. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
3. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
4. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
5. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)