|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Come back and go fishing with him.
(b) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
(c) Save money and buy that boat.
(d) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
2. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) There is no one to help either of them.
(b) They must weigh about the same.
(c) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
(d) Both of them are old and past their prime.
3. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
(a) He recalls not ever seeing well after the sun went down.
(b) He remembers he once had night vision like a cat.
(c) He recalls being able to see in total darkness.
(d) He remembers that horses are blind at night.
4. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
(a) Is he bringing me in or am I bringing him in?
(b) Why am I not dreaming of lions?
(c) What happened to the marlin's dignity?
(d) Why didn't I just tow him behind the skiff?
5. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) A flight on a plane.
(b) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
(c) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
(d) A vast school of porpoises.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
2. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
3. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
4. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
5. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)