|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
(a) They will refuse to eat him.
(b) They will receive some of the marlin's strength when they eat him.
(c) They are unworthy to eat him.
(d) They will be more dignified than the marlin.
2. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
(a) He thinks they will get lost over the sea.
(b) He thinks they are incredibly ugly.
(c) He thinks they are too delicate for the sea.
(d) He thinks they are not fast enough and the fish will eat them.
3. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
(a) None. He continues to swim steadily.
(b) He starts going in circles.
(c) He picks up speed.
(d) He changes course and heads south.
4. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
(a) It will not bother him if it is not hungry.
(b) It has no fear and will do whatever it wants.
(c) It will not swim fast enough to catch the boat.
(d) It will try to knock him out of the boat.
5. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
(b) Both of them are old and past their prime.
(c) They must weigh about the same.
(d) There is no one to help either of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
2. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
3. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
4. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
5. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)