|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago think there are people who are paid to do?
(a) Understand the omens.
(b) Build bigger boats than his.
(c) Write books about fishing.
(d) Think about sin.
2. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(b) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
(c) He always wears a new shirt.
(d) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
3. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
(a) The glow of the city lights on the shore.
(b) A lost harpoon, a broken knife, and two bad hands.
(c) The bones of the marlin.
(d) Another 84 days of bad luck.
4. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
(a) Fish, aren't you getting tired yet?
(b) For heaven's sake, turn around and go the other way.
(c) I'll stay with you until I'm dead!
(d) Come on up and let me get a good look at you!
5. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
(b) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(c) It would take away too much of his own strength.
(d) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
2. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
3. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
4. What is the meaning of salao?
5. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)