|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
(a) Sails or smoke from ships.
(b) Signs of land up ahead.
(c) Dangerous reefs he might wreck on.
(d) Evidence of sharks in the water.
2. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(b) It would take away too much of his own strength.
(c) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
(d) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
3. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
4. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
(a) No one. Everyone is at home in bed.
(b) The whole city turns out to welcome him back.
(c) The fishermen who are laughing at him.
(d) The boy.
5. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
(a) Go to church every morning.
(b) Say a hundred Our Fathers and a hundred Hail Marys.
(c) Get himself a larger boat.
(d) Always bring the boy with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
2. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
3. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
4. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
5. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)