|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
(b) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(c) The old man falls over and hits his head.
(d) The yank causes his back to ache.
2. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
(a) He needs to keep busy to get his hand to uncramp.
(b) Anything he catches on the small line will draw the sharks away from the marlin.
(c) He thinks doing that will take him mind off his pains.
(d) In case the marlin lasts another night, he will need something to eat.
3. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
(a) The fishermen who are laughing at him.
(b) The whole city turns out to welcome him back.
(c) No one. Everyone is at home in bed.
(d) The boy.
4. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
(a) He pretends to know what a bone spur is.
(b) He has no idea what a bone spur is.
(c) He thinks DiMaggio can poke out a catcher's eye.
(d) He thinks DiMaggio has chicken feet.
5. What does Santiago dream of?
(a) The women he has known in his youth.
(b) Africa and the lions on the beach.
(c) Fishing in a new, large boat.
(d) The fights he had when he was young.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
2. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
3. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
4. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
5. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)