|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
(a) The giant turtles.
(b) The song birds.
(c) The flying fish.
(d) The dolphins.
2. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) Small fishing nets.
(b) A light.
(c) A frying pan.
(d) Flying fish bait.
3. How does the old man discover that the fish is slowing down?
(a) From the way the man-of-war bird has to use his wings more.
(b) From the fact that the breeze subsides.
(c) From the flow of blood from his hand in the water.
(d) From the way the flying fish jump shorter distances.
4. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
(a) Is he bringing me in or am I bringing him in?
(b) Why didn't I just tow him behind the skiff?
(c) What happened to the marlin's dignity?
(d) Why am I not dreaming of lions?
5. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
(b) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
(c) That so many years have passed since that time.
(d) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
2. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
3. Does Santiago think of the wind as his friend?
4. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
5. What happens while Santiago and the boy enjoy a beer on the Terrace?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)