|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
(a) The pain of a sting ray's attack.
(b) Joe DiMaggio's bone spur.
(c) The teeth of the shark.
(d) Hitting a home run.
2. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
(a) They all look green in the water.
(b) They are always hungry.
(c) They have purple stripes or spots.
(d) They turn yellow when they are angry or frightened.
3. What happens while Santiago and the boy enjoy a beer on the Terrace?
(a) The boy gets drunk because his is not used to drinking beer.
(b) Santiago feels sad because only the boy will sit and drink with him.
(c) Santiago discovers that he has no money to pay for the beer.
(d) Some of the fishermen make fun of Santiago while others feel sorry for him.
4. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
(a) He hardly glances at the plane as it goes over.
(b) He says out loud that he would never get on one of those things.
(c) He thinks planes are the same size as flying fish.
(d) He wonders what the sea looks like from that height.
5. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
(a) His damaged hands and his painful back.
(b) The damage to his boat.
(c) The look in the marlin's eye.
(d) The long wet line he has now pulled into the skiff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
2. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
3. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
4. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
5. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)