|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
(a) He thinks planes are the same size as flying fish.
(b) He hardly glances at the plane as it goes over.
(c) He wonders what the sea looks like from that height.
(d) He says out loud that he would never get on one of those things.
2. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
(d) Man eaters.
3. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
(a) Raising the sail when the wind blows in the opposite direction.
(b) Catching more dolphin and making them pull against the marlin.
(c) Lashing the oars across the stern of the skiff to increase drag.
(d) Tying off the line and rowing in the opposite direction.
4. How does he know which way to sail?
(a) From the way the flying fish are jumping.
(b) From the stars he had seen the night before.
(c) From the compass he always had with him.
(d) From the sun and the tradewinds.
5. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
(a) He believes there is no such thing as hope.
(b) He believes it is all he can do now.
(c) He believes it is being real.
(d) He believes it is a sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What indicates the old man's pride?
2. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
3. After the second brown shark is killed, what does it do?
4. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
5. What does the boy order for Santiago at the Terrace Cafe?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)