|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
(b) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(c) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
(d) A school of dolphins following the boat.
2. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
(b) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
(c) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
(d) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
3. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
(a) It will not swim fast enough to catch the boat.
(b) It has no fear and will do whatever it wants.
(c) It will try to knock him out of the boat.
(d) It will not bother him if it is not hungry.
4. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
(a) That he has no chance to escape from the hook and line.
(b) That there is a man on the other end of the line and the man is old.
(c) That the boat is not just another big fish.
(d) That it is possible for him to work the hook out of his mouth.
5. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
(a) Respect for the marlin.
(b) The reward money.
(d) Saving other lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Santiago and the boy enjoy a beer on the Terrace?
2. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
3. Does Santiago think of the wind as his friend?
4. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
5. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)