|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
(a) He never lets me carry anything.
(b) He never catches any fish.
(c) He thinks he knows everything better than Santiago.
(d) He makes him carry everything to and from the boat.
2. What happens to snap the old man out of his conversation with the bird?
(a) The bird starts singing.
(b) The fish gives a strong yank on the line.
(c) Several shark fins appear in the water.
(d) An albacore jumps into his boat.
3. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
(a) Fish bigger than the marlin he caught.
(b) Sharks and seaweed.
(c) Friends and enemies.
(d) Mermaids and shells.
4. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The call of humpback whales.
(b) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
(c) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
(d) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
5. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
(a) Hunger or fear.
(b) Needing more exercise.
(c) Just waking up.
(d) A school of dolphins.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
2. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
3. How does the old man discover that the fish is slowing down?
4. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
5. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)