|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The yank causes his back to ache.
(b) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(c) The old man falls over and hits his head.
(d) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
2. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(b) It would take away too much of his own strength.
(c) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
(d) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
3. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
(a) That he will cut him loose if he does not jump out of the water.
(b) That he will kill him before the day is over.
(c) That he will die there with the fish.
(d) That he will let the fish go after he pulls him up to the surface.
4. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
(a) He thinks the fish is about to die.
(b) The fish had filled its air sacs and could not dive deep again.
(c) He was getting a good look at his fish.
(d) When the fish jumps the boat stands still.
5. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
(a) Spear fishing.
(b) Drinking beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
2. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
3. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
4. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
5. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)