|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
(a) He baits a hook and throws out another line.
(b) He tosses the rotting fish carcasses overboard to distract the shark.
(c) He thinks he is dreaming.
(d) He gets his harpoon ready.
2. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
(a) Early the next morning before dawn.
(b) After the moon rises.
(c) About ten at night.
(d) Just as he is about to give up.
3. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
(a) He gives Santiago a new sail for his boat.
(b) He invites him to his parents' house for supper.
(c) He helps Santiago repaint his boat.
(d) He goes every day to help him unload his equipment.
4. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
(a) From the seagulls.
(b) From the currents.
(c) From the curve of his sail.
(d) From the clouds.
5. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
(a) The marlin starts swimming fast and pulls the boat with him.
(b) The harpoon line breaks and the marlin gets away.
(c) The fish tries to jump into the boat with the old man.
(d) It goes high into the air and comes back down, blinding Santiago with sea spray.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
2. What does Santiago think there are people who are paid to do?
3. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
4. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
5. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)