|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing not beautiful about the Mako shark?
(a) His dorsal fin.
(b) His movements.
(c) His color.
(d) His jaws.
2. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
(a) Sharks are pushing it along.
(b) There is little weight now on the side of his boat.
(c) The winds pick up.
(d) He is being carried by the Gulf Stream.
3. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(b) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
(c) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
(d) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
4. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
(a) His neck hurts from continually looking down at the water.
(b) The sunlight gives him a headache.
(c) He cuts himself with a knife.
(d) His hand cramps.
5. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
(b) Something tugging at his line.
(c) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
(d) The wind gets stronger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Santiago as he carries the mast up the hill?
2. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
3. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
4. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
5. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)