|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) The wind gets stronger.
(b) Something tugging at his line.
(c) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
(d) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
2. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
(a) He would get too tired because baseball games do not last for days.
(b) Better, because his is young and strong and his father was a fisherman.
(c) He couldn't do it at all because of his bone spur.
(d) Not so well except at clubbing the big fish to death.
3. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
(a) Boy Scout work.
(b) Slave work.
(c) Dugout work.
(d) Easy work.
4. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) The indignity of being caught by a man.
(b) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
(c) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
(d) The fact that he cannot sleep.
5. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
(a) He considers the difference between night and day while fishing.
(b) He thinks about how deep the marlin is and how high the stars are.
(c) He thinks about how much larger the marlin is than the tiny stars.
(d) He thinks about having to kill the marlin and is glad he does not have to kill the stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
2. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
3. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
4. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
5. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)