|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
(a) Sharks are pushing it along.
(b) He is being carried by the Gulf Stream.
(c) There is little weight now on the side of his boat.
(d) The winds pick up.
2. How many rows of teeth does the Mako shark have?
3. What does the marlin do as the sun rises on the third day?
(a) It picks up speed and swims on top of the water.
(b) It tries to chew the line.
(c) It jumps every ten minutes.
(d) It begins circling the boat.
4. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
(b) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
(c) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
(d) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
5. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
(a) He was eighteen feet from nose to tail.
(b) Why would the old man bring back only bones?
(c) I need a tape to measure this fish.
(d) There is nothing left but head, tail, and bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
2. What does Santiago like to read in the newspaper?
3. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
4. What does Santiago dream of?
5. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)