|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
(a) That the bones of the marlin will fall off.
(b) That people are worrying about him.
(c) That he has been headed the wrong way.
(d) That the boy won't be there to help him.
2. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
(a) Bring sandwiches.
(b) Never eat on the boat again.
(c) Bring along salt and limes.
(d) Rig up a stove on his skiff.
3. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
(a) About ten at night.
(b) Just as he is about to give up.
(c) Early the next morning before dawn.
(d) After the moon rises.
4. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
(b) The head of the marlin.
(c) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
(d) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
5. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(b) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(c) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
(d) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the sharks finally go away?
2. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
3. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
4. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
5. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)