|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
(a) That the marlin will come up slowly and eat his dolphin.
(b) That he might die.
(c) That he will become unclear in the head.
(d) That he will fall asleep and go overborad.
2. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
(a) He couldn't do it at all because of his bone spur.
(b) Not so well except at clubbing the big fish to death.
(c) He would get too tired because baseball games do not last for days.
(d) Better, because his is young and strong and his father was a fisherman.
3. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
(a) Another bite of flying fish.
(b) His large casting net.
(c) His harpoon.
(d) His water bottle.
4. What does the boy order for Santiago at the Terrace Cafe?
(a) A bag of ice to help bring down his fever.
(b) Two bottles of warm beer.
(c) Hot coffee with plenty of milk and sugar.
(d) Yellow rice and fried fish.
5. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
(a) Beat the sharks to death.
(b) Scare the sharks away.
(c) Hurt the sharks badly.
(d) Keep them away from the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
2. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
3. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
4. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
5. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)