|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens while Santiago and the boy enjoy a beer on the Terrace?
(a) Some of the fishermen make fun of Santiago while others feel sorry for him.
(b) Santiago feels sad because only the boy will sit and drink with him.
(c) The boy gets drunk because his is not used to drinking beer.
(d) Santiago discovers that he has no money to pay for the beer.
2. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
(a) He was eighteen feet from nose to tail.
(b) There is nothing left but head, tail, and bones.
(c) I need a tape to measure this fish.
(d) Why would the old man bring back only bones?
3. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
(a) He is being carried by the Gulf Stream.
(b) The winds pick up.
(c) There is little weight now on the side of his boat.
(d) Sharks are pushing it along.
4. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
(a) Dugout work.
(b) Easy work.
(c) Slave work.
(d) Boy Scout work.
5. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
(a) That the wind will pick up.
(b) That there is a cold beer waiting for him.
(c) That a boat will come out and help him.
(d) That he will not have to fight the sharks again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
2. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
3. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
4. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
5. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)