|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
(a) Man can be destroyed but not defeated.
(b) Man cannot lose a battle.
(c) Man can only be defeated if he loses his mind.
(d) Man will always win over animals.
2. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
(a) A warbler.
(b) A sea turtle.
(c) A flying fish.
(d) An albacore.
3. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
(a) That there is a cold beer waiting for him.
(b) That the wind will pick up.
(c) That a boat will come out and help him.
(d) That he will not have to fight the sharks again.
4. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
(a) Scares up a school of flying fish.
(b) Startles Santiago.
(c) Bounces like a basketball.
(d) Makes the dolphins go away.
5. What does Santiago wish he could show the fish?
(a) How many fathoms of line he had in the boat.
(b) What manner of man the fish was up against.
(c) How his hand was cramped.
(d) His club he would use to kill the fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
2. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
3. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
4. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
5. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)