|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
(a) The knife blade snaps off.
(b) The shark almost pulls the old man overboard.
(c) At that moment the wind dies down.
(d) The knife comes untied from the oar.
2. What is the boy's name?
3. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
(a) A storm comes up.
(b) His line breaks.
(c) There is a beautiful sunrise.
(d) The great fish surfaces.
4. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
(a) So he could catch his supper.
(b) So he could get up and walk around.
(c) So he could slowly pull the marlin in.
(d) So he could sleep and dream of lions.
5. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
(a) Small sharks trying to get the last of the meat off the marlin.
(b) The skeleton of the great fish lashed to the skiff.
(c) Gulls swarming around his boat.
(d) Nothing, because there is no light.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
2. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
3. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
4. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
5. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)