|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the marlin do as the sun rises on the third day?
(a) It picks up speed and swims on top of the water.
(b) It jumps every ten minutes.
(c) It begins circling the boat.
(d) It tries to chew the line.
2. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
(b) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
(c) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
(d) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
3. What does the old man think about a cramp?
(a) It is something that goes away quickly.
(b) It will make him stop fishing.
(c) It humiliates oneself.
(d) It is better than having to vomit.
4. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
(a) A piece of the marlin's tail.
(b) A fish hook.
(c) Two flying fish.
(d) A small turtle.
5. Why does the old man scoop water from the sea after the marlin stops jumping?
(a) To medicate his left hand.
(b) To see the water temperature.
(c) To get a small drink.
(d) To wash the dolphin flesh off his face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
2. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
3. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
4. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
5. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)