|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
(b) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
(c) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
(d) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
2. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
(a) Beat the sharks to death.
(b) Hurt the sharks badly.
(c) Scare the sharks away.
(d) Keep them away from the marlin.
3. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
(a) Come on up and let me get a good look at you!
(b) I'll stay with you until I'm dead!
(c) Fish, aren't you getting tired yet?
(d) For heaven's sake, turn around and go the other way.
4. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
(a) They see it as a generous man.
(b) They take shark livers from the sea.
(c) They like to think of themselves being as strong as the sea.
(d) They see it as a dangerous enemy.
5. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
(a) Yellow fish swimming just below the surface.
(b) People making love under a yellow blanket.
(c) Yellow sheets hanging on a line in the sun.
(d) A yellow oil slick on the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
2. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
3. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
4. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
5. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)