|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(b) The old man was motivated by hate.
(c) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(d) The old man was acting out of instinct.
2. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
(a) He takes his lucky charms with him.
(b) He gets the priest to bless his boat.
(c) He buys a new sail for his boat.
(d) He plans to row far out to fish.
3. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
(b) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(c) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
(d) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
4. What does Santiago do when another fish takes the bait on another line?
(a) He laughs at his good luck.
(b) He cuts it loose.
(c) He drops anchor.
(d) He hopes it is small enough to attract other big fish.
5. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
(b) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(c) A school of dolphins following the boat.
(d) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
2. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
3. What does Santiago dream of?
4. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
5. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)