|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) The boy will be there waiting for him.
(b) There is little damage to his boat.
(c) He will never have to go fishing again.
(d) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
2. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
(a) Twice as long as the last marlin he caught.
(b) Two feet longer than the skiff.
(c) Longer than a small tree is tall.
(d) Twice as long as he is tall.
3. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
(a) By using his right hand and holding it steady with his foot.
(b) By tying the line to the marlin on the thale.
(c) By using his left hand and right foot.
(d) By leaving its skin on and only removing its entrails.
4. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
(b) They must weigh about the same.
(c) Both of them are old and past their prime.
(d) There is no one to help either of them.
5. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
(a) I wish I could feed the fish, he thought. He is my brother.
(b) Light brisa, he thought, better weather for me than for you, fish.
(c) He thought of how some men feared being out of sight of land in a small boat.
(d) God help me to have the cramp go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the flying fish jump out of the water and scatter feverishly?
2. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
3. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
4. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
5. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)