|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) Both of them are old and past their prime.
(b) There is no one to help either of them.
(c) They must weigh about the same.
(d) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
2. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
(a) The oars, the anchor, and some line.
(b) A broken knife, some big fish hooks, and the oars.
(c) Two oars, the tiller, and a short club.
(d) The broken water bottle, the oars, and a club.
3. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
(b) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(c) He always wears a new shirt.
(d) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
4. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
(a) To let the boat drift and put the lines at an angle.
(b) To use no more than one line at a time.
(c) To bring the lines up often so the fish will notice the movement.
(d) To keep the lines straight down.
5. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
(a) To see what manner of man he was fighting with.
(b) To see if the hook would fall out.
(c) To get some air.
(d) To show him how big he was.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Santiago sees the marlin jump out of the water, what does he realize?
2. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
3. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
4. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
5. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)