|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
(a) He has eaten but the marlin has not.
(b) Night time is easier for a man than for a fish.
(c) He will be able to sleep but the marlin cannot.
(d) On the surface, he can see the stars but the marlin cannot.
2. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
(a) The damage to his boat.
(b) The long wet line he has now pulled into the skiff.
(c) The look in the marlin's eye.
(d) His damaged hands and his painful back.
3. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Save money and buy that boat.
(b) Come back and go fishing with him.
(c) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
(d) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
4. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
(a) The broken knife blade.
(b) His cramped left hand.
(c) Nothing. He only went too far out.
(d) Not having the boy with him.
5. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
(a) The jaw and the fins.
(b) Both eyes.
(c) The underbelly and the dorsal fin.
(d) The brain and the eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Santiago say should get the head of the marlin?
2. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
3. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
4. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
5. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)