|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
(a) The skiff began to go slower against the east wind.
(b) The eastern sea breezes grew stronger.
(c) The afternoon sun was on his back.
(d) His compass indicated the direction.
2. Why does the old man scoop water from the sea after the marlin stops jumping?
(a) To wash the dolphin flesh off his face.
(b) To get a small drink.
(c) To see the water temperature.
(d) To medicate his left hand.
3. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
(a) About as thick as an oar handle.
(b) A big around as his thumb.
(c) Very small but strong.
(d) As big around as a pencil.
4. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
(b) That so many years have passed since that time.
(c) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
(d) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
5. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
(a) Dangerous reefs he might wreck on.
(b) Evidence of sharks in the water.
(c) Signs of land up ahead.
(d) Sails or smoke from ships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
2. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
3. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
4. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
5. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)