|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
(a) For fear that it will flood the boat.
(b) For fear that it will attract sharks.
(c) For fear that the line will have to be let out again.
(d) For fear that the hook will work itself loose.
2. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) Flying fish bait.
(b) Small fishing nets.
(c) A frying pan.
(d) A light.
3. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
(a) That fishermen would say he found the marlin dead and floating in the water.
(b) That he would not win a prize for catching the largest marlin.
(c) That there would soon be other sharks.
(d) That people would think he had eaten part of his catch.
4. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was motivated by hate.
(b) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(c) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(d) The old man was acting out of instinct.
5. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
(a) A warbler.
(b) An albacore.
(c) A sea turtle.
(d) A flying fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
2. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
3. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
4. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
5. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)