|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
(a) Fish, you will look good hanging from my wall.
(b) Fish, you are going to die. Do you have to kill me, too?
(c) Fish, why don't you just give up?
(d) Fish, don't you understand that you are beaten already?
2. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
(b) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
(c) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
(d) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
3. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
(a) None. He continues to swim steadily.
(b) He changes course and heads south.
(c) He starts going in circles.
(d) He picks up speed.
4. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
(b) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
(c) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(d) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
5. After killing the Mako shark, what does Santiago eat?
(a) Nothing. All his food is gone.
(b) The liver of the dead dolphin.
(c) A piece of the marlin where the shark had bitten it.
(d) More of the dried flying fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
2. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
3. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
4. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
5. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)