|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
(a) Tries to pull the boat under the water.
(b) Chases the flying fish.
(c) Comes to the surface from time to time.
(d) Pulls the boat farther out to sea.
2. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
(a) He baits a hook and throws out another line.
(b) He thinks he is dreaming.
(c) He tosses the rotting fish carcasses overboard to distract the shark.
(d) He gets his harpoon ready.
3. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
(a) That it is possible for him to work the hook out of his mouth.
(b) That there is a man on the other end of the line and the man is old.
(c) That he has no chance to escape from the hook and line.
(d) That the boat is not just another big fish.
4. Why do the sharks finally go away?
(a) They cannot see in the dark.
(b) They know the old man is dying.
(c) There is nothing left to eat on the marlin.
(d) Their heads hurt from the bat blows.
5. What does Santiago dream of?
(a) The women he has known in his youth.
(b) The fights he had when he was young.
(c) Africa and the lions on the beach.
(d) Fishing in a new, large boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
2. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
3. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
4. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
5. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)