|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
(a) He likens Santiago's fishing greatness to the greatest baseball managers.
(b) He compares Santiago to a giant shark.
(c) He calls Sanitiago his hero.
(d) He says that Santiago is like Joe DiMaggio.
2. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
(a) Scares up a school of flying fish.
(b) Startles Santiago.
(c) Bounces like a basketball.
(d) Makes the dolphins go away.
3. Why does Santiago decide to go farther out to sea than usual?
(a) He has never been far out before.
(b) He thinks big fish may be out where the schools of bonito and albacore stay.
(c) He wants to get away from other boats.
(d) He thinks the nearer waters have been fished out.
4. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
(a) Sharks and seaweed.
(b) Friends and enemies.
(c) Fish bigger than the marlin he caught.
(d) Mermaids and shells.
5. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
(a) Comes to the surface from time to time.
(b) Tries to pull the boat under the water.
(c) Pulls the boat farther out to sea.
(d) Chases the flying fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
2. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
3. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
4. What does Santiago like to read in the newspaper?
5. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)