|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
(b) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
(c) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
(d) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
2. What happens to snap the old man out of his conversation with the bird?
(a) Several shark fins appear in the water.
(b) The fish gives a strong yank on the line.
(c) An albacore jumps into his boat.
(d) The bird starts singing.
3. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
(a) Yellow rice and fish.
(b) Sardines and saltine crackers.
(c) Coconut and barbecue.
(d) Tuna sandwiches.
4. What is the boy's name?
5. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
(a) That he will let the fish go after he pulls him up to the surface.
(b) That he will kill him before the day is over.
(c) That he will cut him loose if he does not jump out of the water.
(d) That he will die there with the fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
2. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
3. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
4. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
5. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)