|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
(a) 84 days.
(b) 86 days.
(c) 67 days.
(d) 64 days.
2. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
(a) He believes it is a sin.
(b) He believes it is being real.
(c) He believes there is no such thing as hope.
(d) He believes it is all he can do now.
3. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
(a) Chases the flying fish.
(b) Comes to the surface from time to time.
(c) Tries to pull the boat under the water.
(d) Pulls the boat farther out to sea.
4. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(b) The old man was motivated by hate.
(c) The old man was acting out of instinct.
(d) The old man was unsure of what to do.
5. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
(a) Thinking will keep him from feeling lonely without the boy there to help him.
(b) As long as he keeps on thinking, he knows he is still alive.
(c) He can only survive by using the intelligence he has that sharks do not have.
(d) His thinking will help keep him awake after losing so much sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
2. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
3. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
4. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
5. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)