|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) Flying fish bait.
(b) A light.
(c) Small fishing nets.
(d) A frying pan.
2. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) The marlin is too large.
(b) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
(c) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
(d) The skiff is too full of water.
3. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
(a) Raising the sail when the wind blows in the opposite direction.
(b) Catching more dolphin and making them pull against the marlin.
(c) Tying off the line and rowing in the opposite direction.
(d) Lashing the oars across the stern of the skiff to increase drag.
4. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) The boy will be there waiting for him.
(b) He will never have to go fishing again.
(c) There is little damage to his boat.
(d) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
5. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My tormentor.
(b) My big problem.
(c) My alarm clock.
(d) My morning visitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
2. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
3. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
4. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
5. How many times does the old man have to stop and sit down on his way to his shack?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)