|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
2. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
(b) Catching a larger fish.
(d) Broken knives.
3. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
(a) He sees the man-of-war bird.
(b) He sees the fish shimmer in the dawn light.
(c) He sees his fishing line moving.
(d) He sees the waves get still.
4. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
(a) They will receive some of the marlin's strength when they eat him.
(b) They are unworthy to eat him.
(c) They will be more dignified than the marlin.
(d) They will refuse to eat him.
5. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
(a) Knowledge of many tricks and resolutions.
(b) The mind of a fish.
(c) An unsinkable boat.
(d) The very best equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
2. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
3. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
4. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
5. What is the meaning of salao?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)