|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
(a) Thinking will keep him from feeling lonely without the boy there to help him.
(b) As long as he keeps on thinking, he knows he is still alive.
(c) His thinking will help keep him awake after losing so much sleep.
(d) He can only survive by using the intelligence he has that sharks do not have.
2. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
(a) Soaking it in sea water before eating it.
(b) Chopping it up into smaller pieces.
(c) Cutting it up as soon as he caught it and letting it sun dry.
(d) Splashing sea water on the bow and letting it dry to get the salt.
3. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
(a) That people are worrying about him.
(b) That the boy won't be there to help him.
(c) That he has been headed the wrong way.
(d) That the bones of the marlin will fall off.
4. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
(a) The marlin he and the boy caught 86 days ago.
(b) The first marlin he ever caught.
(c) A marlin that once broke his line and got away.
(d) A female marlin that her mate kept jumping up to see where she was.
5. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
(b) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
(c) Save money and buy that boat.
(d) Come back and go fishing with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
2. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
3. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
4. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
5. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)