|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
(b) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
(c) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
(d) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
2. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
(a) He cannot afford another cup of coffee.
(b) It is too hot.
(c) It has too much sugar and condensed milk in it.
(d) It is all he will have until he returns that night.
3. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
(a) He thinks they are incredibly ugly.
(b) He thinks they will get lost over the sea.
(c) He thinks they are not fast enough and the fish will eat them.
(d) He thinks they are too delicate for the sea.
4. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
(a) He holds back his tears so the men will not see his concern.
(b) He starts a fight with a fisherman who is laughing at the old man.
(c) He refuses to speak to the other fishermen in the village.
(d) He tells them that Santiago is sleeping and they are not to disturb him.
5. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was motivated by hate.
(b) The old man was acting out of instinct.
(c) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(d) The old man was unsure of what to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
2. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
3. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
4. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
5. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)