|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
(a) The old man talks all day in his sleep.
(b) The boy has to re-heat the coffee.
(c) The boy keeps thinking the old man has died.
(d) It is the next morning before he wakes up.
2. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
(a) He gives the fish more line.
(b) He carefuly starts pulling in the line.
(c) He runs up the skiff's sail.
(d) He ties down the line to wait for the fish to tire.
3. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
(a) He can only survive by using the intelligence he has that sharks do not have.
(b) His thinking will help keep him awake after losing so much sleep.
(c) Thinking will keep him from feeling lonely without the boy there to help him.
(d) As long as he keeps on thinking, he knows he is still alive.
4. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
(a) Comes to the surface from time to time.
(b) Tries to pull the boat under the water.
(c) Chases the flying fish.
(d) Pulls the boat farther out to sea.
5. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
(b) A vast school of porpoises.
(c) A flight on a plane.
(d) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
2. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
3. What does Santiago wish he could show the fish?
4. Does Santiago think of the wind as his friend?
5. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)