|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
(a) Two oars, the tiller, and a short club.
(b) The broken water bottle, the oars, and a club.
(c) A broken knife, some big fish hooks, and the oars.
(d) The oars, the anchor, and some line.
2. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That so many years have passed since that time.
(b) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
(c) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
(d) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
3. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
(a) For fear that it will attract sharks.
(b) For fear that the line will have to be let out again.
(c) For fear that the hook will work itself loose.
(d) For fear that it will flood the boat.
4. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
(a) That he will fall asleep and go overborad.
(b) That the marlin will come up slowly and eat his dolphin.
(c) That he will become unclear in the head.
(d) That he might die.
5. What does Santiago dream of?
(a) The fights he had when he was young.
(b) Fishing in a new, large boat.
(c) Africa and the lions on the beach.
(d) The women he has known in his youth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
2. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
3. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
4. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
5. Why do the sharks finally go away?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)