|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
(a) The tradewinds.
(b) His casting net.
(c) His harpoon.
(d) The feeling in his left hand.
2. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
(a) A warbler.
(b) A sea turtle.
(c) An albacore.
(d) A flying fish.
3. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
(b) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
(c) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
(d) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
4. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
(a) He tries to get the boat he is now on to go far out near the old man.
(b) He tries to get better bait for Santiago.
(c) He tries to get his mother to make food for Santiago.
(d) He tries to get a new sail for Santiago's boat.
5. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
(a) There is a beautiful sunrise.
(b) The great fish surfaces.
(c) His line breaks.
(d) A storm comes up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
2. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
3. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
4. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
5. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)