|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of sharks came the second time?
(a) Shovel-nosed sharks.
(b) Yellow sharks.
(c) Great white sharks.
(d) Hammer head sharks.
2. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
(a) People making love under a yellow blanket.
(b) Yellow fish swimming just below the surface.
(c) A yellow oil slick on the water.
(d) Yellow sheets hanging on a line in the sun.
3. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
(a) The Red Sox.
(b) The Cleveland Indians.
(c) The White Sox.
(d) The Baltimore Orioles.
4. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
(a) Man eaters.
5. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(b) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(c) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
(d) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
2. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
3. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
4. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
5. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)