|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
(a) An albacore.
(b) A flying fish.
(c) A warbler.
(d) A sea turtle.
2. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
(a) He hardly glances at the plane as it goes over.
(b) He says out loud that he would never get on one of those things.
(c) He thinks planes are the same size as flying fish.
(d) He wonders what the sea looks like from that height.
3. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
(a) What is left of a shark.
(b) Evidence of a feast the night before.
(c) A fish that died of starvation.
(d) A biology experiment.
4. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
(a) The boy would have kept the line wet so that they did not cut his hands.
(b) The boy would harpoon the marlin as it jumped out of the water.
(c) The boy would talk to him and keep him awake.
(d) The boy would have taken over for him and let him go back to sleep.
5. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
(a) For fear that the hook will work itself loose.
(b) For fear that the line will have to be let out again.
(c) For fear that it will attract sharks.
(d) For fear that it will flood the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
2. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
3. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
4. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
5. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)