|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
(a) He baits a hook and throws out another line.
(b) He thinks he is dreaming.
(c) He gets his harpoon ready.
(d) He tosses the rotting fish carcasses overboard to distract the shark.
2. Why does the old man scoop water from the sea after the marlin stops jumping?
(a) To wash the dolphin flesh off his face.
(b) To medicate his left hand.
(c) To see the water temperature.
(d) To get a small drink.
3. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
(a) He sees his fishing line moving.
(b) He sees the fish shimmer in the dawn light.
(c) He sees the man-of-war bird.
(d) He sees the waves get still.
4. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
(a) Fish, why don't you just give up?
(b) Fish, you are going to die. Do you have to kill me, too?
(c) Fish, you will look good hanging from my wall.
(d) Fish, don't you understand that you are beaten already?
5. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
(a) He will make a pilgrimmage to the Virgin of Cobre.
(b) He will demand that the boy's parents let him come back to him.
(c) He will never go fishing again.
(d) He will invite the whole village for a fish dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
2. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
3. What is the meaning of salao?
4. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
5. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)