|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) Both of them are old and past their prime.
(b) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
(c) There is no one to help either of them.
(d) They must weigh about the same.
2. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
(a) 64 days.
(b) 84 days.
(c) 67 days.
(d) 86 days.
3. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
(a) From the curve of his sail.
(b) From the clouds.
(c) From the currents.
(d) From the seagulls.
4. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
(b) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
(c) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(d) It would take away too much of his own strength.
5. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
(a) An unsinkable boat.
(b) Knowledge of many tricks and resolutions.
(c) The very best equipment.
(d) The mind of a fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
2. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
3. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
4. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
5. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)