|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
(a) Scare the sharks away.
(b) Hurt the sharks badly.
(c) Beat the sharks to death.
(d) Keep them away from the marlin.
2. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
(b) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(c) He always wears a new shirt.
(d) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
3. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Save money and buy that boat.
(b) Come back and go fishing with him.
(c) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
(d) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
4. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
(a) He thinks doing that will take him mind off his pains.
(b) He needs to keep busy to get his hand to uncramp.
(c) In case the marlin lasts another night, he will need something to eat.
(d) Anything he catches on the small line will draw the sharks away from the marlin.
5. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
(a) To use no more than one line at a time.
(b) To bring the lines up often so the fish will notice the movement.
(c) To let the boat drift and put the lines at an angle.
(d) To keep the lines straight down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
2. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
3. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
4. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
5. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)