|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
(a) The winds were too strong for the boats to sail that morning.
(b) He wanted to stay on the shore and watch for the old man's return.
(c) He found Santiago dead in his shack.
(d) He was too tired from fishing the day before.
2. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My tormentor.
(b) My morning visitor.
(c) My alarm clock.
(d) My big problem.
3. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
(a) The lights of Havana.
(b) A few stars.
(c) More sharks attacking his boat.
(d) Other fishing boats out at night.
4. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
(a) He changes course and heads south.
(b) None. He continues to swim steadily.
(c) He starts going in circles.
(d) He picks up speed.
5. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
(b) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
(c) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
(d) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
2. How many times does the old man have to stop and sit down on his way to his shack?
3. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
4. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
5. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)