|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) The indignity of being caught by a man.
(b) The fact that he cannot sleep.
(c) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
(d) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
2. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
(a) Spear fishing.
(c) Drinking beer.
3. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
(a) Dangerous reefs he might wreck on.
(b) Evidence of sharks in the water.
(c) Sails or smoke from ships.
(d) Signs of land up ahead.
4. What happens to snap the old man out of his conversation with the bird?
(a) The bird starts singing.
(b) Several shark fins appear in the water.
(c) An albacore jumps into his boat.
(d) The fish gives a strong yank on the line.
5. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he furls the sail.
(b) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(c) As he ties the boat to a rock.
(d) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
2. What is the meaning of salao?
3. What does the old man think he killed the fish for besides food and to keep himself alive?
4. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
5. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)