|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
(a) Other fishing boats out at night.
(b) More sharks attacking his boat.
(c) A few stars.
(d) The lights of Havana.
2. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My alarm clock.
(b) My big problem.
(c) My tormentor.
(d) My morning visitor.
3. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
(a) He will be able to sleep but the marlin cannot.
(b) On the surface, he can see the stars but the marlin cannot.
(c) Night time is easier for a man than for a fish.
(d) He has eaten but the marlin has not.
4. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
(b) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
(c) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
(d) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
5. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) A school of dolphins following the boat.
(b) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(c) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
(d) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
2. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
3. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
4. What does the old man think about a cramp?
5. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)