|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
(a) He will invite the whole village for a fish dinner.
(b) He will never go fishing again.
(c) He will demand that the boy's parents let him come back to him.
(d) He will make a pilgrimmage to the Virgin of Cobre.
2. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
(a) He can only survive by using the intelligence he has that sharks do not have.
(b) His thinking will help keep him awake after losing so much sleep.
(c) Thinking will keep him from feeling lonely without the boy there to help him.
(d) As long as he keeps on thinking, he knows he is still alive.
3. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
(a) The boy would talk to him and keep him awake.
(b) The boy would have taken over for him and let him go back to sleep.
(c) The boy would harpoon the marlin as it jumped out of the water.
(d) The boy would have kept the line wet so that they did not cut his hands.
4. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(b) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(c) As he furls the sail.
(d) As he ties the boat to a rock.
5. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
(b) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
(c) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
(d) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
2. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
3. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
4. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
5. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)