|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
(a) The fish had filled its air sacs and could not dive deep again.
(b) He was getting a good look at his fish.
(c) He thinks the fish is about to die.
(d) When the fish jumps the boat stands still.
2. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
(a) He changes course and heads south.
(b) None. He continues to swim steadily.
(c) He picks up speed.
(d) He starts going in circles.
3. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
(a) They like to think of themselves being as strong as the sea.
(b) They see it as a dangerous enemy.
(c) They take shark livers from the sea.
(d) They see it as a generous man.
4. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
(a) He thinks they will get lost over the sea.
(b) He thinks they are not fast enough and the fish will eat them.
(c) He thinks they are incredibly ugly.
(d) He thinks they are too delicate for the sea.
5. What happens to Santiago as he carries the mast up the hill?
(a) He gets tangled up in the sail.
(b) He hears the boy calling his name.
(c) He falls and cannot get up.
(d) He has a heart attack and dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the old man hoist his sail?
2. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
3. How does the old man discover that the fish is slowing down?
4. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
5. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)