|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
(a) The harpoon line breaks and the marlin gets away.
(b) The marlin starts swimming fast and pulls the boat with him.
(c) It goes high into the air and comes back down, blinding Santiago with sea spray.
(d) The fish tries to jump into the boat with the old man.
2. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
(b) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
(c) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
(d) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
3. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
(a) For fear that the line will have to be let out again.
(b) For fear that the hook will work itself loose.
(c) For fear that it will flood the boat.
(d) For fear that it will attract sharks.
4. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
(a) A storm comes up.
(b) His line breaks.
(c) There is a beautiful sunrise.
(d) The great fish surfaces.
5. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
(a) He sees the man-of-war bird.
(b) He sees the waves get still.
(c) He sees his fishing line moving.
(d) He sees the fish shimmer in the dawn light.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
2. What is the boy's name?
3. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
4. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
5. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)