|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
(a) The mast.
(b) The tiller.
(c) His fists.
(d) A broken bottle.
2. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
(a) He thought of how some men feared being out of sight of land in a small boat.
(b) Light brisa, he thought, better weather for me than for you, fish.
(c) I wish I could feed the fish, he thought. He is my brother.
(d) God help me to have the cramp go.
3. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
(a) That he will kill him before the day is over.
(b) That he will let the fish go after he pulls him up to the surface.
(c) That he will die there with the fish.
(d) That he will cut him loose if he does not jump out of the water.
4. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
(a) He thinks DiMaggio has chicken feet.
(b) He has no idea what a bone spur is.
(c) He pretends to know what a bone spur is.
(d) He thinks DiMaggio can poke out a catcher's eye.
5. What does the boy order for Santiago at the Terrace Cafe?
(a) Two bottles of warm beer.
(b) Hot coffee with plenty of milk and sugar.
(c) Yellow rice and fried fish.
(d) A bag of ice to help bring down his fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
2. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
3. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
4. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
5. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)