|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
(b) The skiff is too full of water.
(c) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
(d) The marlin is too large.
2. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
(a) Beat the sharks to death.
(b) Keep them away from the marlin.
(c) Scare the sharks away.
(d) Hurt the sharks badly.
3. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
(b) He will never have to go fishing again.
(c) The boy will be there waiting for him.
(d) There is little damage to his boat.
4. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
(b) Something tugging at his line.
(c) The wind gets stronger.
(d) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
5. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
(a) They have purple stripes or spots.
(b) They turn yellow when they are angry or frightened.
(c) They are always hungry.
(d) They all look green in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
2. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
3. Why does the old man scoop water from the sea after the marlin stops jumping?
4. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
5. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)