|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
(b) Not at all.
(c) Not much.
(d) Only my hands.
2. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
(b) The boy will be there waiting for him.
(c) There is little damage to his boat.
(d) He will never have to go fishing again.
3. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
(b) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
(c) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
(d) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
4. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
(a) Tacos the boy gave him.
(b) The last of his bait.
(c) The man-of-war bird.
(d) Raw tuna.
5. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
(b) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
(c) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
(d) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
2. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
3. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
4. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
5. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)