|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
(a) He needs to keep busy to get his hand to uncramp.
(b) He thinks doing that will take him mind off his pains.
(c) Anything he catches on the small line will draw the sharks away from the marlin.
(d) In case the marlin lasts another night, he will need something to eat.
2. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
(a) He sees his fishing line moving.
(b) He sees the waves get still.
(c) He sees the fish shimmer in the dawn light.
(d) He sees the man-of-war bird.
3. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
(b) Save money and buy that boat.
(c) Come back and go fishing with him.
(d) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
4. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(b) The old man was motivated by hate.
(c) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(d) The old man was acting out of instinct.
5. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
(a) To keep the lines straight down.
(b) To bring the lines up often so the fish will notice the movement.
(c) To use no more than one line at a time.
(d) To let the boat drift and put the lines at an angle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man think about a cramp?
2. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
3. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
4. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
5. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)