|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
(a) He felt like a young man again.
(b) His backache went away.
(c) His hand uncramped.
(d) There was more bleeding from the cuts on his hands.
2. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
(a) His water bottle.
(b) Another bite of flying fish.
(c) His harpoon.
(d) His large casting net.
3. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
(a) He found Santiago dead in his shack.
(b) He was too tired from fishing the day before.
(c) The winds were too strong for the boats to sail that morning.
(d) He wanted to stay on the shore and watch for the old man's return.
4. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
(b) The wind gets stronger.
(c) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
(d) Something tugging at his line.
5. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
(a) He dreams about lions eating a huge fish they catch.
(b) Lions make him feel strong and brave.
(c) They are something he saw from a ship off the coast of Africa when he was a boy.
(d) He has always loved cats because they like fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
2. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
3. What does the boy order for Santiago at the Terrace Cafe?
4. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
5. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)