|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
(b) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
(c) The fact that he cannot sleep.
(d) The indignity of being caught by a man.
2. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
(a) The boy.
(b) No one. Everyone is at home in bed.
(c) The whole city turns out to welcome him back.
(d) The fishermen who are laughing at him.
3. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
(a) He wonders what the sea looks like from that height.
(b) He says out loud that he would never get on one of those things.
(c) He hardly glances at the plane as it goes over.
(d) He thinks planes are the same size as flying fish.
4. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
(b) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
(c) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(d) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
5. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
(a) The boy would have kept the line wet so that they did not cut his hands.
(b) The boy would harpoon the marlin as it jumped out of the water.
(c) The boy would have taken over for him and let him go back to sleep.
(d) The boy would talk to him and keep him awake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
2. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
3. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
4. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
5. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)