|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
(a) Catching more dolphin and making them pull against the marlin.
(b) Tying off the line and rowing in the opposite direction.
(c) Lashing the oars across the stern of the skiff to increase drag.
(d) Raising the sail when the wind blows in the opposite direction.
2. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
(a) That there is a cold beer waiting for him.
(b) That the wind will pick up.
(c) That he will not have to fight the sharks again.
(d) That a boat will come out and help him.
3. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
(b) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
(c) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
(d) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
4. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
(b) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
(c) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
(d) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
5. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
(a) Scare the sharks away.
(b) Hurt the sharks badly.
(c) Beat the sharks to death.
(d) Keep them away from the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
2. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
3. Why do the sharks finally go away?
4. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
5. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)