|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
(a) His compass indicated the direction.
(b) The afternoon sun was on his back.
(c) The skiff began to go slower against the east wind.
(d) The eastern sea breezes grew stronger.
2. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The old man falls over and hits his head.
(b) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
(c) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(d) The yank causes his back to ache.
3. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
(a) He tells himself to let the fish go.
(b) He thinks he has two fish on his line.
(c) He thinks he sees the fish turning green.
(d) He tells the fish to come and kill him.
4. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
(a) Both eyes.
(b) The jaw and the fins.
(c) The brain and the eye.
(d) The underbelly and the dorsal fin.
5. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
(a) He sees the man-of-war bird.
(b) He sees the waves get still.
(c) He sees his fishing line moving.
(d) He sees the fish shimmer in the dawn light.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
2. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
3. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
4. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
5. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)