|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
(a) Thinking will keep him from feeling lonely without the boy there to help him.
(b) His thinking will help keep him awake after losing so much sleep.
(c) As long as he keeps on thinking, he knows he is still alive.
(d) He can only survive by using the intelligence he has that sharks do not have.
2. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
(a) Bring along salt and limes.
(b) Rig up a stove on his skiff.
(c) Never eat on the boat again.
(d) Bring sandwiches.
3. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
(a) That there would soon be other sharks.
(b) That people would think he had eaten part of his catch.
(c) That he would not win a prize for catching the largest marlin.
(d) That fishermen would say he found the marlin dead and floating in the water.
4. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
(b) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(c) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
(d) It would take away too much of his own strength.
5. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
(b) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
(c) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
(d) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
2. Who does Santiago say should get the head of the marlin?
3. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
4. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
5. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)