|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
(a) He imagines the marlin would eat the harks.
(b) He thinks the marlin could outswim the sharks.
(c) He imagines it fighting the sharks with the spear on its head.
(d) He thinks the marlin would get away because it can jump so high.
2. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
(a) This time the fish shows no signs of tiring.
(b) This time he has only a small casting net with him.
(c) Before he always had someone to help him.
(d) Before he was in a much larger boat.
3. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
(a) He wanted to stay on the shore and watch for the old man's return.
(b) He found Santiago dead in his shack.
(c) He was too tired from fishing the day before.
(d) The winds were too strong for the boats to sail that morning.
4. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
(a) That he will not have to fight the sharks again.
(b) That there is a cold beer waiting for him.
(c) That the wind will pick up.
(d) That a boat will come out and help him.
5. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
(a) He makes him carry everything to and from the boat.
(b) He thinks he knows everything better than Santiago.
(c) He never lets me carry anything.
(d) He never catches any fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
2. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
3. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
4. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
5. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)