|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
(a) Chopping it up into smaller pieces.
(b) Cutting it up as soon as he caught it and letting it sun dry.
(c) Splashing sea water on the bow and letting it dry to get the salt.
(d) Soaking it in sea water before eating it.
2. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
(a) Sharks are pushing it along.
(b) He is being carried by the Gulf Stream.
(c) The winds pick up.
(d) There is little weight now on the side of his boat.
3. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
(a) Sardines and saltine crackers.
(b) Tuna sandwiches.
(c) Yellow rice and fish.
(d) Coconut and barbecue.
4. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
(b) A vast school of porpoises.
(c) A flight on a plane.
(d) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
5. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
(a) From the seagulls.
(b) From the clouds.
(c) From the curve of his sail.
(d) From the currents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
2. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
3. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
4. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
5. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)