|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
(b) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
(c) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
(d) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
2. When does the old man hoist his sail?
(a) When he could not row because of the fish at the side of the skiff.
(b) When the winds died down.
(c) When he thought he heard an airplane.
(d) When it is time to return to the island.
3. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
(a) For heaven's sake, turn around and go the other way.
(b) Fish, aren't you getting tired yet?
(c) Come on up and let me get a good look at you!
(d) I'll stay with you until I'm dead!
4. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
(a) The reward money.
(b) Saving other lives.
(c) Respect for the marlin.
5. How many times does the old man have to stop and sit down on his way to his shack?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 6 times.
(c) 2 times.
(d) 5 times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
2. What is the one thing not beautiful about the Mako shark?
3. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
4. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
5. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)