|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
(a) He remembers he once had night vision like a cat.
(b) He remembers that horses are blind at night.
(c) He recalls being able to see in total darkness.
(d) He recalls not ever seeing well after the sun went down.
2. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
(a) 87 days.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 84 days.
(d) 1 year.
3. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
(a) He believes there is no such thing as hope.
(b) He believes it is being real.
(c) He believes it is a sin.
(d) He believes it is all he can do now.
4. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
(a) He thinks about how much larger the marlin is than the tiny stars.
(b) He considers the difference between night and day while fishing.
(c) He thinks about how deep the marlin is and how high the stars are.
(d) He thinks about having to kill the marlin and is glad he does not have to kill the stars.
5. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
(a) The broken knife blade.
(b) His cramped left hand.
(c) Not having the boy with him.
(d) Nothing. He only went too far out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
2. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
3. What is the meaning of salao?
4. How many times does the old man have to stop and sit down on his way to his shack?
5. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)