|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
(a) His cramped left hand.
(b) Not having the boy with him.
(c) The broken knife blade.
(d) Nothing. He only went too far out.
2. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
(a) He thought of how some men feared being out of sight of land in a small boat.
(b) Light brisa, he thought, better weather for me than for you, fish.
(c) I wish I could feed the fish, he thought. He is my brother.
(d) God help me to have the cramp go.
3. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
(a) He starts going in circles.
(b) He changes course and heads south.
(c) He picks up speed.
(d) None. He continues to swim steadily.
4. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
(a) He thinks the marlin would get away because it can jump so high.
(b) He imagines it fighting the sharks with the spear on its head.
(c) He thinks the marlin could outswim the sharks.
(d) He imagines the marlin would eat the harks.
5. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
(b) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
(c) That so many years have passed since that time.
(d) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the old man hoist his sail?
2. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
3. After the second brown shark is killed, what does it do?
4. What is the one thing not beautiful about the Mako shark?
5. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)