|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago think there are people who are paid to do?
(a) Write books about fishing.
(b) Think about sin.
(c) Build bigger boats than his.
(d) Understand the omens.
2. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
(a) He has eaten but the marlin has not.
(b) He will be able to sleep but the marlin cannot.
(c) On the surface, he can see the stars but the marlin cannot.
(d) Night time is easier for a man than for a fish.
3. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
(a) He recalls not ever seeing well after the sun went down.
(b) He remembers that horses are blind at night.
(c) He remembers he once had night vision like a cat.
(d) He recalls being able to see in total darkness.
4. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
(a) It will not bother him if it is not hungry.
(b) It has no fear and will do whatever it wants.
(c) It will try to knock him out of the boat.
(d) It will not swim fast enough to catch the boat.
5. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
(a) Both eyes.
(b) The underbelly and the dorsal fin.
(c) The brain and the eye.
(d) The jaw and the fins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
2. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
3. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
4. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
5. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)