|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
(a) He will make a pilgrimmage to the Virgin of Cobre.
(b) He will never go fishing again.
(c) He will invite the whole village for a fish dinner.
(d) He will demand that the boy's parents let him come back to him.
2. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
(a) Just before sunset.
(b) Just after dark.
(c) Immediately after he ran them off the first time.
(d) Early the next morning.
3. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
(a) At that moment the wind dies down.
(b) The shark almost pulls the old man overboard.
(c) The knife comes untied from the oar.
(d) The knife blade snaps off.
4. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
(b) The old man falls over and hits his head.
(c) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(d) The yank causes his back to ache.
5. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
(c) Broken knives.
(d) Catching a larger fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he get something to eat?
2. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
3. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
4. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
5. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)