|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
(a) The man-of-war bird.
(b) The last of his bait.
(c) Tacos the boy gave him.
(d) Raw tuna.
2. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
(a) He sees the man-of-war bird.
(b) He sees his fishing line moving.
(c) He sees the waves get still.
(d) He sees the fish shimmer in the dawn light.
3. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
(a) He heard that DiMaggio's father was a fisherman.
(b) He would like to talk about baseball while he fished.
(c) He thinks DiMaggio would be good at clubbing sharks to death.
(d) He wants to get free tickets to a Yankee game.
4. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
(a) They are unworthy to eat him.
(b) They will be more dignified than the marlin.
(c) They will receive some of the marlin's strength when they eat him.
(d) They will refuse to eat him.
5. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
(a) So he could catch his supper.
(b) So he could slowly pull the marlin in.
(c) So he could get up and walk around.
(d) So he could sleep and dream of lions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
2. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
3. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
4. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
5. What does the marlin do as the sun rises on the third day?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)