|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
(a) His large casting net.
(b) His water bottle.
(c) Another bite of flying fish.
(d) His harpoon.
2. What is the boy's name?
3. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
(a) People making love under a yellow blanket.
(b) Yellow sheets hanging on a line in the sun.
(c) Yellow fish swimming just below the surface.
(d) A yellow oil slick on the water.
4. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
(a) By leaving its skin on and only removing its entrails.
(b) By using his right hand and holding it steady with his foot.
(c) By tying the line to the marlin on the thale.
(d) By using his left hand and right foot.
5. What does the marlin do as the sun rises on the third day?
(a) It tries to chew the line.
(b) It picks up speed and swims on top of the water.
(c) It jumps every ten minutes.
(d) It begins circling the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
2. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
3. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
4. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
5. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)