|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
(a) He tries to get the boat he is now on to go far out near the old man.
(b) He tries to get better bait for Santiago.
(c) He tries to get his mother to make food for Santiago.
(d) He tries to get a new sail for Santiago's boat.
2. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
(a) He gives the fish more line.
(b) He ties down the line to wait for the fish to tire.
(c) He runs up the skiff's sail.
(d) He carefuly starts pulling in the line.
3. What does Santiago dream of?
(a) Africa and the lions on the beach.
(b) The women he has known in his youth.
(c) Fishing in a new, large boat.
(d) The fights he had when he was young.
4. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
(a) He thinks they are not fast enough and the fish will eat them.
(b) He thinks they will get lost over the sea.
(c) He thinks they are incredibly ugly.
(d) He thinks they are too delicate for the sea.
5. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
(a) He couldn't do it at all because of his bone spur.
(b) Not so well except at clubbing the big fish to death.
(c) Better, because his is young and strong and his father was a fisherman.
(d) He would get too tired because baseball games do not last for days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
2. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
3. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
4. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
5. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)