|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
(a) The fish tries to jump into the boat with the old man.
(b) It goes high into the air and comes back down, blinding Santiago with sea spray.
(c) The harpoon line breaks and the marlin gets away.
(d) The marlin starts swimming fast and pulls the boat with him.
2. What is the meaning of salao?
(a) Extreme bad luck.
(b) A small room.
(c) The champion.
(d) A greeting.
3. How does he know which way to sail?
(a) From the stars he had seen the night before.
(b) From the compass he always had with him.
(c) From the sun and the tradewinds.
(d) From the way the flying fish are jumping.
4. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
(a) It is all he will have until he returns that night.
(b) It has too much sugar and condensed milk in it.
(c) He cannot afford another cup of coffee.
(d) It is too hot.
5. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
(b) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
(c) The fact that he cannot sleep.
(d) The indignity of being caught by a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
2. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
3. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
4. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
5. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)