|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
(a) After the moon rises.
(b) Early the next morning before dawn.
(c) Just as he is about to give up.
(d) About ten at night.
2. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Save money and buy that boat.
(b) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
(c) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
(d) Come back and go fishing with him.
3. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
(a) He thinks how the boy would massage his hand.
(b) He thinks the boy would remember how that had happened before.
(c) He cannot use his hand at all and the boy could take over.
(d) His hand makes a claw that he thinks the boy would find funny.
4. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
(a) The boy.
(b) The water bottle.
(c) The dawn.
(d) The food he forgot to bring.
5. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
(a) His compass indicated the direction.
(b) The skiff began to go slower against the east wind.
(c) The afternoon sun was on his back.
(d) The eastern sea breezes grew stronger.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
2. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
3. What does the old man think about a cramp?
4. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
5. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)