|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) The head of the marlin.
(b) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
(c) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
(d) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
2. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
(a) It has too much sugar and condensed milk in it.
(b) It is too hot.
(c) It is all he will have until he returns that night.
(d) He cannot afford another cup of coffee.
3. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
(a) Immediately after he ran them off the first time.
(b) Just after dark.
(c) Just before sunset.
(d) Early the next morning.
4. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
(b) The call of humpback whales.
(c) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
(d) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
5. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
(a) The afternoon sun was on his back.
(b) The eastern sea breezes grew stronger.
(c) The skiff began to go slower against the east wind.
(d) His compass indicated the direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
2. Why do the sharks finally go away?
3. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
4. What indicates the old man's pride?
5. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)