|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
(a) To keep the lines straight down.
(b) To bring the lines up often so the fish will notice the movement.
(c) To let the boat drift and put the lines at an angle.
(d) To use no more than one line at a time.
2. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
(a) A yellow oil slick on the water.
(b) Yellow sheets hanging on a line in the sun.
(c) Yellow fish swimming just below the surface.
(d) People making love under a yellow blanket.
3. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
(a) That there is a cold beer waiting for him.
(b) That the wind will pick up.
(c) That he will not have to fight the sharks again.
(d) That a boat will come out and help him.
4. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
(a) He thinks how the boy would massage his hand.
(b) He cannot use his hand at all and the boy could take over.
(c) He thinks the boy would remember how that had happened before.
(d) His hand makes a claw that he thinks the boy would find funny.
5. What happens to snap the old man out of his conversation with the bird?
(a) The fish gives a strong yank on the line.
(b) An albacore jumps into his boat.
(c) Several shark fins appear in the water.
(d) The bird starts singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
2. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
3. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
4. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
5. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)