|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
(a) The mast.
(b) The tiller.
(c) His fists.
(d) A broken bottle.
2. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
(a) His neck hurts from continually looking down at the water.
(b) The sunlight gives him a headache.
(c) He cuts himself with a knife.
(d) His hand cramps.
3. What does Santiago wish he could show the fish?
(a) How his hand was cramped.
(b) How many fathoms of line he had in the boat.
(c) What manner of man the fish was up against.
(d) His club he would use to kill the fish.
4. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
(a) Lashing the oars across the stern of the skiff to increase drag.
(b) Raising the sail when the wind blows in the opposite direction.
(c) Tying off the line and rowing in the opposite direction.
(d) Catching more dolphin and making them pull against the marlin.
5. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
(a) They see it as a dangerous enemy.
(b) They like to think of themselves being as strong as the sea.
(c) They take shark livers from the sea.
(d) They see it as a generous man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
2. Who does Santiago say should get the head of the marlin?
3. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
4. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
5. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)