|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
(a) A few stars.
(b) Other fishing boats out at night.
(c) More sharks attacking his boat.
(d) The lights of Havana.
2. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
(a) Kill the great fish on the end of his line.
(b) Eat more raw fish to survive.
(c) Cut the marlin loose and go back saying he had another day of bad luck.
(d) Act strange for the boy.
3. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was acting out of instinct.
(b) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(c) The old man was motivated by hate.
(d) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
4. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My alarm clock.
(b) My big problem.
(c) My morning visitor.
(d) My tormentor.
5. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
(a) He tosses the rotting fish carcasses overboard to distract the shark.
(b) He thinks he is dreaming.
(c) He baits a hook and throws out another line.
(d) He gets his harpoon ready.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
2. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
3. When Santiago sees the marlin jump out of the water, what does he realize?
4. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
5. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)