|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) There is no one to help either of them.
(b) They must weigh about the same.
(c) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
(d) Both of them are old and past their prime.
2. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
(a) He is being carried by the Gulf Stream.
(b) There is little weight now on the side of his boat.
(c) Sharks are pushing it along.
(d) The winds pick up.
3. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
(b) A vast school of porpoises.
(c) A flight on a plane.
(d) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
4. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
(a) Not having the boy with him.
(b) The broken knife blade.
(c) Nothing. He only went too far out.
(d) His cramped left hand.
5. What is the meaning of salao?
(a) Extreme bad luck.
(b) A small room.
(c) The champion.
(d) A greeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
2. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
3. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
4. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
5. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)