|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
(a) He thinks about having to kill the marlin and is glad he does not have to kill the stars.
(b) He thinks about how much larger the marlin is than the tiny stars.
(c) He thinks about how deep the marlin is and how high the stars are.
(d) He considers the difference between night and day while fishing.
2. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
(a) Immediately after he ran them off the first time.
(b) Just after dark.
(c) Just before sunset.
(d) Early the next morning.
3. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
(a) Tying off the line and rowing in the opposite direction.
(b) Raising the sail when the wind blows in the opposite direction.
(c) Catching more dolphin and making them pull against the marlin.
(d) Lashing the oars across the stern of the skiff to increase drag.
4. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
(b) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(c) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
(d) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
5. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
2. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
3. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
4. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
5. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)