|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
(a) He heard that DiMaggio's father was a fisherman.
(b) He would like to talk about baseball while he fished.
(c) He thinks DiMaggio would be good at clubbing sharks to death.
(d) He wants to get free tickets to a Yankee game.
2. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
(a) He will invite the whole village for a fish dinner.
(b) He will never go fishing again.
(c) He will demand that the boy's parents let him come back to him.
(d) He will make a pilgrimmage to the Virgin of Cobre.
3. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(b) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(c) The old man was acting out of instinct.
(d) The old man was motivated by hate.
4. What does Santiago think there are people who are paid to do?
(a) Understand the omens.
(b) Write books about fishing.
(c) Build bigger boats than his.
(d) Think about sin.
5. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
(a) His line breaks.
(b) There is a beautiful sunrise.
(c) A storm comes up.
(d) The great fish surfaces.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
2. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
3. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
4. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
5. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)