|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
(a) He sees the waves get still.
(b) He sees his fishing line moving.
(c) He sees the fish shimmer in the dawn light.
(d) He sees the man-of-war bird.
2. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
(a) The Red Sox.
(b) The Baltimore Orioles.
(c) The Cleveland Indians.
(d) The White Sox.
3. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
(a) The fish had filled its air sacs and could not dive deep again.
(b) He was getting a good look at his fish.
(c) He thinks the fish is about to die.
(d) When the fish jumps the boat stands still.
4. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The call of humpback whales.
(b) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
(c) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
(d) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
5. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
(a) At that moment the wind dies down.
(b) The knife blade snaps off.
(c) The knife comes untied from the oar.
(d) The shark almost pulls the old man overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
2. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
3. What kind of sharks came the second time?
4. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
5. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)