|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
(a) In case the marlin lasts another night, he will need something to eat.
(b) He thinks doing that will take him mind off his pains.
(c) Anything he catches on the small line will draw the sharks away from the marlin.
(d) He needs to keep busy to get his hand to uncramp.
2. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
(a) That the marlin will come up slowly and eat his dolphin.
(b) That he will fall asleep and go overborad.
(c) That he will become unclear in the head.
(d) That he might die.
3. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My tormentor.
(b) My morning visitor.
(c) My alarm clock.
(d) My big problem.
4. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
(b) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
(c) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
(d) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
5. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
(a) To see if the hook would fall out.
(b) To show him how big he was.
(c) To see what manner of man he was fighting with.
(d) To get some air.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
2. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
3. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
4. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
5. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)