|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
(a) Both of them dive and attack the fish from under the water.
(b) They dart in quickly and swim away with small bites.
(c) They attack the marlin from the head and tail.
(d) One dives under the boat while the other comes from the surface.
2. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
(a) Dangerous reefs he might wreck on.
(b) Evidence of sharks in the water.
(c) Sails or smoke from ships.
(d) Signs of land up ahead.
3. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was acting out of instinct.
(b) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(c) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(d) The old man was motivated by hate.
4. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
(a) Two feet longer than the skiff.
(b) Longer than a small tree is tall.
(c) Twice as long as he is tall.
(d) Twice as long as the last marlin he caught.
5. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
(a) A warbler.
(b) An albacore.
(c) A flying fish.
(d) A sea turtle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
2. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
3. What does the old man think about a cramp?
4. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
5. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)