|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he ties the boat to a rock.
(b) As he furls the sail.
(c) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(d) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
2. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
(b) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
(c) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
(d) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
3. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
(a) Eat more raw fish to survive.
(b) Cut the marlin loose and go back saying he had another day of bad luck.
(c) Kill the great fish on the end of his line.
(d) Act strange for the boy.
4. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
(b) The fact that he cannot sleep.
(c) The indignity of being caught by a man.
(d) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
5. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
(a) His backache went away.
(b) There was more bleeding from the cuts on his hands.
(c) His hand uncramped.
(d) He felt like a young man again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
2. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
3. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
4. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
5. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)