|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
(a) For heaven's sake, turn around and go the other way.
(b) Come on up and let me get a good look at you!
(c) Fish, aren't you getting tired yet?
(d) I'll stay with you until I'm dead!
2. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Save money and buy that boat.
(b) Come back and go fishing with him.
(c) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
(d) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
3. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he ties the boat to a rock.
(b) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(c) As he furls the sail.
(d) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
4. What does the boy order for Santiago at the Terrace Cafe?
(a) Yellow rice and fried fish.
(b) A bag of ice to help bring down his fever.
(c) Two bottles of warm beer.
(d) Hot coffee with plenty of milk and sugar.
5. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
(a) The boy would talk to him and keep him awake.
(b) The boy would have taken over for him and let him go back to sleep.
(c) The boy would have kept the line wet so that they did not cut his hands.
(d) The boy would harpoon the marlin as it jumped out of the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the old man scoop water from the sea after the marlin stops jumping?
2. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
3. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
4. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
5. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)