|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago do when another fish takes the bait on another line?
(a) He cuts it loose.
(b) He hopes it is small enough to attract other big fish.
(c) He drops anchor.
(d) He laughs at his good luck.
2. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
(a) One dives under the boat while the other comes from the surface.
(b) They attack the marlin from the head and tail.
(c) They dart in quickly and swim away with small bites.
(d) Both of them dive and attack the fish from under the water.
3. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
(a) So he could get up and walk around.
(b) So he could slowly pull the marlin in.
(c) So he could catch his supper.
(d) So he could sleep and dream of lions.
4. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
(a) He compares Santiago to a giant shark.
(b) He likens Santiago's fishing greatness to the greatest baseball managers.
(c) He says that Santiago is like Joe DiMaggio.
(d) He calls Sanitiago his hero.
5. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
(b) The head of the marlin.
(c) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
(d) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
2. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
3. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
4. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
5. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)