|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My tormentor.
(b) My alarm clock.
(c) My morning visitor.
(d) My big problem.
2. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
(a) He tries to get the boat he is now on to go far out near the old man.
(b) He tries to get his mother to make food for Santiago.
(c) He tries to get a new sail for Santiago's boat.
(d) He tries to get better bait for Santiago.
3. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
(a) He feels hungry.
(b) He pinches himself.
(c) He falls down when he tries to get to the tiller.
(d) He can bring back the pain in his hands by opening and closing them.
4. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
(a) He holds back his tears so the men will not see his concern.
(b) He starts a fight with a fisherman who is laughing at the old man.
(c) He refuses to speak to the other fishermen in the village.
(d) He tells them that Santiago is sleeping and they are not to disturb him.
5. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
(a) Friends and enemies.
(b) Sharks and seaweed.
(c) Fish bigger than the marlin he caught.
(d) Mermaids and shells.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
2. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
3. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
4. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
5. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)