|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
(a) The dolphins.
(b) The song birds.
(c) The flying fish.
(d) The giant turtles.
2. What does Santiago think there are people who are paid to do?
(a) Build bigger boats than his.
(b) Write books about fishing.
(c) Understand the omens.
(d) Think about sin.
3. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
(b) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(c) A school of dolphins following the boat.
(d) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
4. What is the meaning of salao?
(a) Extreme bad luck.
(b) The champion.
(c) A small room.
(d) A greeting.
5. What happens while Santiago and the boy enjoy a beer on the Terrace?
(a) The boy gets drunk because his is not used to drinking beer.
(b) Santiago feels sad because only the boy will sit and drink with him.
(c) Santiago discovers that he has no money to pay for the beer.
(d) Some of the fishermen make fun of Santiago while others feel sorry for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
2. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
3. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
4. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
5. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)