|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
(a) The pain of a sting ray's attack.
(b) The teeth of the shark.
(c) Hitting a home run.
(d) Joe DiMaggio's bone spur.
2. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
3. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) The skiff is too full of water.
(b) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
(c) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
(d) The marlin is too large.
4. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) The head of the marlin.
(b) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
(c) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
(d) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
5. What happens to Santiago as he carries the mast up the hill?
(a) He hears the boy calling his name.
(b) He has a heart attack and dies.
(c) He falls and cannot get up.
(d) He gets tangled up in the sail.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rows of teeth does the Mako shark have?
2. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
3. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
4. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
5. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)