|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
(a) That the marlin will come up slowly and eat his dolphin.
(b) That he will fall asleep and go overborad.
(c) That he will become unclear in the head.
(d) That he might die.
2. What does the marlin do as the sun rises on the third day?
(a) It tries to chew the line.
(b) It jumps every ten minutes.
(c) It begins circling the boat.
(d) It picks up speed and swims on top of the water.
3. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
(a) Right after daybreak.
(b) Before it is light.
(c) All night.
(d) By noon.
4. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
(b) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
(c) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
(d) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
5. After the second brown shark is killed, what does it do?
(a) It pulls the marlin down with its lifeless body to the bottom of the sea.
(b) It hangs onto the place where it had bit into the marlin.
(c) It pulls the skiff over by its dead weight.
(d) It jumps into the boat with Santiago.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
2. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
3. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
4. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
5. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)