|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(b) It would take away too much of his own strength.
(c) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
(d) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
2. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
(a) He tries to get the boat he is now on to go far out near the old man.
(b) He tries to get his mother to make food for Santiago.
(c) He tries to get better bait for Santiago.
(d) He tries to get a new sail for Santiago's boat.
3. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
(a) Tuna sandwiches.
(b) Yellow rice and fish.
(c) Coconut and barbecue.
(d) Sardines and saltine crackers.
4. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
(a) He wonders what the sea looks like from that height.
(b) He thinks planes are the same size as flying fish.
(c) He says out loud that he would never get on one of those things.
(d) He hardly glances at the plane as it goes over.
5. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
(a) He says to tell people to go visit the old man.
(b) He says to damn his fish and starts crying again.
(c) He says the proprietor should see what the old man caught.
(d) He says to stop talking or it will bring him bad luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he get something to eat?
2. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
3. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
4. What does Santiago do when another fish takes the bait on another line?
5. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)