|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
(b) Drinking beer.
(c) Spear fishing.
2. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
(a) The old man talks all day in his sleep.
(b) The boy keeps thinking the old man has died.
(c) It is the next morning before he wakes up.
(d) The boy has to re-heat the coffee.
3. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
(a) Nothing. He only went too far out.
(b) The broken knife blade.
(c) His cramped left hand.
(d) Not having the boy with him.
4. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
(a) He says to stop talking or it will bring him bad luck.
(b) He says to damn his fish and starts crying again.
(c) He says to tell people to go visit the old man.
(d) He says the proprietor should see what the old man caught.
5. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
2. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
3. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
4. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
5. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)