|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
(a) The brain and the eye.
(b) The underbelly and the dorsal fin.
(c) The jaw and the fins.
(d) Both eyes.
2. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
3. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
(a) A small turtle.
(b) A piece of the marlin's tail.
(c) A fish hook.
(d) Two flying fish.
4. When does the old man hoist his sail?
(a) When it is time to return to the island.
(b) When he thought he heard an airplane.
(c) When he could not row because of the fish at the side of the skiff.
(d) When the winds died down.
5. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
(a) Other fishing boats out at night.
(b) The lights of Havana.
(c) A few stars.
(d) More sharks attacking his boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What indicates the old man's pride?
2. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
3. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
4. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
5. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)