|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
(a) Nothing, because there is no light.
(b) The skeleton of the great fish lashed to the skiff.
(c) Gulls swarming around his boat.
(d) Small sharks trying to get the last of the meat off the marlin.
2. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
(a) He plans to row far out to fish.
(b) He gets the priest to bless his boat.
(c) He takes his lucky charms with him.
(d) He buys a new sail for his boat.
3. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 15 years old.
(c) 10 years old.
(d) 7 years old.
4. Why does Santiago decide to go farther out to sea than usual?
(a) He wants to get away from other boats.
(b) He thinks the nearer waters have been fished out.
(c) He thinks big fish may be out where the schools of bonito and albacore stay.
(d) He has never been far out before.
5. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(b) As he furls the sail.
(c) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(d) As he ties the boat to a rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
2. What does Santiago do when another fish takes the bait on another line?
3. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
4. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
5. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)