|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
(a) It has no fear and will do whatever it wants.
(b) It will not bother him if it is not hungry.
(c) It will not swim fast enough to catch the boat.
(d) It will try to knock him out of the boat.
2. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
(a) The boy has to re-heat the coffee.
(b) The boy keeps thinking the old man has died.
(c) The old man talks all day in his sleep.
(d) It is the next morning before he wakes up.
3. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
(a) Dugout work.
(b) Easy work.
(c) Boy Scout work.
(d) Slave work.
4. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
(a) Before he was in a much larger boat.
(b) This time he has only a small casting net with him.
(c) This time the fish shows no signs of tiring.
(d) Before he always had someone to help him.
5. What does the old man think he killed the fish for besides food and to keep himself alive?
(a) The lust for killing.
(b) Throwing a big party for his friends.
(c) Pride of being a fisherman.
(d) Revenge for all the fish he had lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
2. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
3. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
4. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
5. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)