|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
(a) A piece of the marlin's tail.
(b) Two flying fish.
(c) A small turtle.
(d) A fish hook.
2. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
(a) Only that morning.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three days.
(d) One day.
3. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
(b) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
(c) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
(d) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
4. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
(a) He thinks they are incredibly ugly.
(b) He thinks they will get lost over the sea.
(c) He thinks they are not fast enough and the fish will eat them.
(d) He thinks they are too delicate for the sea.
5. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
(a) He will be able to sleep but the marlin cannot.
(b) Night time is easier for a man than for a fish.
(c) He has eaten but the marlin has not.
(d) On the surface, he can see the stars but the marlin cannot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
2. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
3. How does he know which way to sail?
4. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
5. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)