|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) There is no one to help either of them.
(b) Both of them are old and past their prime.
(c) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
(d) They must weigh about the same.
2. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
(a) Pulls the boat farther out to sea.
(b) Tries to pull the boat under the water.
(c) Chases the flying fish.
(d) Comes to the surface from time to time.
3. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
(a) He tries to get the boat he is now on to go far out near the old man.
(b) He tries to get his mother to make food for Santiago.
(c) He tries to get better bait for Santiago.
(d) He tries to get a new sail for Santiago's boat.
4. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
(a) Lions make him feel strong and brave.
(b) They are something he saw from a ship off the coast of Africa when he was a boy.
(c) He dreams about lions eating a huge fish they catch.
(d) He has always loved cats because they like fish.
5. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
(a) Cut the marlin loose and go back saying he had another day of bad luck.
(b) Kill the great fish on the end of his line.
(c) Act strange for the boy.
(d) Eat more raw fish to survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
2. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
3. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
4. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
5. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)