|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the marlin do as the sun rises on the third day?
(a) It picks up speed and swims on top of the water.
(b) It tries to chew the line.
(c) It begins circling the boat.
(d) It jumps every ten minutes.
2. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
(b) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
(c) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
(d) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
3. How many rows of teeth does the Mako shark have?
4. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
(a) He thinks about having to kill the marlin and is glad he does not have to kill the stars.
(b) He considers the difference between night and day while fishing.
(c) He thinks about how deep the marlin is and how high the stars are.
(d) He thinks about how much larger the marlin is than the tiny stars.
5. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
(a) Why am I not dreaming of lions?
(b) What happened to the marlin's dignity?
(c) Is he bringing me in or am I bringing him in?
(d) Why didn't I just tow him behind the skiff?
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
2. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
3. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
4. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
5. What happens to snap the old man out of his conversation with the bird?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)