|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
(b) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(c) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
(d) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
2. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
(a) As long as he keeps on thinking, he knows he is still alive.
(b) His thinking will help keep him awake after losing so much sleep.
(c) Thinking will keep him from feeling lonely without the boy there to help him.
(d) He can only survive by using the intelligence he has that sharks do not have.
3. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(b) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(c) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
(d) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
4. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
(a) That people would think he had eaten part of his catch.
(b) That he would not win a prize for catching the largest marlin.
(c) That fishermen would say he found the marlin dead and floating in the water.
(d) That there would soon be other sharks.
5. What happens to snap the old man out of his conversation with the bird?
(a) An albacore jumps into his boat.
(b) Several shark fins appear in the water.
(c) The fish gives a strong yank on the line.
(d) The bird starts singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
2. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
3. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
4. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
5. Does Santiago think of the wind as his friend?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)