|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
(a) Longer than a small tree is tall.
(b) Twice as long as he is tall.
(c) Two feet longer than the skiff.
(d) Twice as long as the last marlin he caught.
2. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
(a) Respect for the marlin.
(b) The reward money.
(c) Saving other lives.
3. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) The skiff is too full of water.
(b) The marlin is too large.
(c) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
(d) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
4. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
(a) Tying off the line and rowing in the opposite direction.
(b) Raising the sail when the wind blows in the opposite direction.
(c) Lashing the oars across the stern of the skiff to increase drag.
(d) Catching more dolphin and making them pull against the marlin.
5. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
(a) That he was still alive.
(b) That he had killed the shark.
(c) That the worst was over.
(d) That it was all a dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
2. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
3. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
4. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
5. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)