|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
(a) He says the proprietor should see what the old man caught.
(b) He says to damn his fish and starts crying again.
(c) He says to tell people to go visit the old man.
(d) He says to stop talking or it will bring him bad luck.
2. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
(a) Twice as long as the last marlin he caught.
(b) Twice as long as he is tall.
(c) Longer than a small tree is tall.
(d) Two feet longer than the skiff.
3. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
(a) Coconut and barbecue.
(b) Sardines and saltine crackers.
(c) Yellow rice and fish.
(d) Tuna sandwiches.
4. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
(a) They like to think of themselves being as strong as the sea.
(b) They see it as a dangerous enemy.
(c) They take shark livers from the sea.
(d) They see it as a generous man.
5. How does the old man discover that the fish is slowing down?
(a) From the way the flying fish jump shorter distances.
(b) From the fact that the breeze subsides.
(c) From the way the man-of-war bird has to use his wings more.
(d) From the flow of blood from his hand in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
2. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
3. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
4. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
5. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)