|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
(a) The bones of the marlin.
(b) Another 84 days of bad luck.
(c) A lost harpoon, a broken knife, and two bad hands.
(d) The glow of the city lights on the shore.
2. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
(a) That the worst was over.
(b) That he had killed the shark.
(c) That it was all a dream.
(d) That he was still alive.
3. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
(a) Act strange for the boy.
(b) Eat more raw fish to survive.
(c) Kill the great fish on the end of his line.
(d) Cut the marlin loose and go back saying he had another day of bad luck.
4. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(b) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(c) As he furls the sail.
(d) As he ties the boat to a rock.
5. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
(a) His water bottle.
(b) His large casting net.
(c) Another bite of flying fish.
(d) His harpoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
2. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
3. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
4. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
5. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)