|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
(a) Tacos the boy gave him.
(b) The last of his bait.
(c) Raw tuna.
(d) The man-of-war bird.
2. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
(a) Not much.
(b) Not at all.
(c) Only my hands.
3. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
(a) He gets his harpoon ready.
(b) He tosses the rotting fish carcasses overboard to distract the shark.
(c) He baits a hook and throws out another line.
(d) He thinks he is dreaming.
4. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
(a) He sees his fishing line moving.
(b) He sees the fish shimmer in the dawn light.
(c) He sees the man-of-war bird.
(d) He sees the waves get still.
5. What does the boy order for Santiago at the Terrace Cafe?
(a) Two bottles of warm beer.
(b) Yellow rice and fried fish.
(c) A bag of ice to help bring down his fever.
(d) Hot coffee with plenty of milk and sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
2. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
3. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
4. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
5. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)