|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(b) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(c) As he ties the boat to a rock.
(d) As he furls the sail.
2. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
(a) Tacos the boy gave him.
(b) The last of his bait.
(c) The man-of-war bird.
(d) Raw tuna.
3. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
(a) Scares up a school of flying fish.
(b) Startles Santiago.
(c) Bounces like a basketball.
(d) Makes the dolphins go away.
4. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
(a) The boy would harpoon the marlin as it jumped out of the water.
(b) The boy would have kept the line wet so that they did not cut his hands.
(c) The boy would have taken over for him and let him go back to sleep.
(d) The boy would talk to him and keep him awake.
5. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
(b) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
(c) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(d) A school of dolphins following the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. After killing the Mako shark, what does Santiago eat?
2. What does Santiago dream of?
3. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
4. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
5. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)