|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the meaning of salao?
(a) A greeting.
(b) A small room.
(c) The champion.
(d) Extreme bad luck.
2. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(b) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
(c) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
(d) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
3. What happens to Santiago as he carries the mast up the hill?
(a) He hears the boy calling his name.
(b) He gets tangled up in the sail.
(c) He has a heart attack and dies.
(d) He falls and cannot get up.
4. When does the old man hoist his sail?
(a) When he could not row because of the fish at the side of the skiff.
(b) When he thought he heard an airplane.
(c) When the winds died down.
(d) When it is time to return to the island.
5. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
(a) Two oars, the tiller, and a short club.
(b) The oars, the anchor, and some line.
(c) A broken knife, some big fish hooks, and the oars.
(d) The broken water bottle, the oars, and a club.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
2. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
3. How does he get something to eat?
4. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
5. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)