|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
(a) That he has been headed the wrong way.
(b) That people are worrying about him.
(c) That the bones of the marlin will fall off.
(d) That the boy won't be there to help him.
2. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
(a) To let the boat turn around and around as the fish circles.
(b) To give the fish less and less line.
(c) To jump in to fight the fish.
(d) To let out the line.
3. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
(a) He thinks he has two fish on his line.
(b) He tells himself to let the fish go.
(c) He thinks he sees the fish turning green.
(d) He tells the fish to come and kill him.
4. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
(a) 86 days.
(b) 67 days.
(c) 84 days.
(d) 64 days.
5. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
(a) From the currents.
(b) From the clouds.
(c) From the curve of his sail.
(d) From the seagulls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
2. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
3. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
4. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
5. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)