|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
(a) 87 days.
(b) 84 days.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 1 year.
2. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
(a) Anything he catches on the small line will draw the sharks away from the marlin.
(b) In case the marlin lasts another night, he will need something to eat.
(c) He thinks doing that will take him mind off his pains.
(d) He needs to keep busy to get his hand to uncramp.
3. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
(a) It has no fear and will do whatever it wants.
(b) It will not swim fast enough to catch the boat.
(c) It will not bother him if it is not hungry.
(d) It will try to knock him out of the boat.
4. When Santiago sees the marlin jump out of the water, what does he realize?
(a) It will take another day to bring in this marlin.
(b) He and the marlin are about the same size.
(c) The marlin is getting very tired and the game is about over.
(d) He is no physical match for the marlin.
5. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My big problem.
(b) My tormentor.
(c) My morning visitor.
(d) My alarm clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
2. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
3. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
4. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
5. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)