|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
(a) This time he has only a small casting net with him.
(b) This time the fish shows no signs of tiring.
(c) Before he was in a much larger boat.
(d) Before he always had someone to help him.
2. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
(a) Imagine all that work just to feed the sharks.
(b) I caught the biggest fish ever but no one will believe it.
(c) You give me much good counsel. I'm tired of it.
(d) If more sharks come and eat the rest of the fish, the boat will go faster.
3. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
(a) The boy would harpoon the marlin as it jumped out of the water.
(b) The boy would talk to him and keep him awake.
(c) The boy would have taken over for him and let him go back to sleep.
(d) The boy would have kept the line wet so that they did not cut his hands.
4. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
(a) The man-of-war bird.
(b) Raw tuna.
(c) The last of his bait.
(d) Tacos the boy gave him.
5. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
(a) He needs to keep busy to get his hand to uncramp.
(b) In case the marlin lasts another night, he will need something to eat.
(c) He thinks doing that will take him mind off his pains.
(d) Anything he catches on the small line will draw the sharks away from the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
2. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
3. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
4. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
5. What does the old man think about a cramp?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)