|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The yank causes his back to ache.
(b) The old man falls over and hits his head.
(c) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(d) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
2. When Santiago sees the marlin jump out of the water, what does he realize?
(a) The marlin is getting very tired and the game is about over.
(b) It will take another day to bring in this marlin.
(c) He and the marlin are about the same size.
(d) He is no physical match for the marlin.
3. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
(a) Go to church every morning.
(b) Get himself a larger boat.
(c) Always bring the boy with him.
(d) Say a hundred Our Fathers and a hundred Hail Marys.
4. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
(a) Lions make him feel strong and brave.
(b) He has always loved cats because they like fish.
(c) He dreams about lions eating a huge fish they catch.
(d) They are something he saw from a ship off the coast of Africa when he was a boy.
5. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
(a) He will be able to sleep but the marlin cannot.
(b) He has eaten but the marlin has not.
(c) Night time is easier for a man than for a fish.
(d) On the surface, he can see the stars but the marlin cannot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
2. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
3. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
4. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
5. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)