|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
(a) He is still sleeping.
(b) He is reading the baseball scores.
(c) He is making a new harpoon.
(d) He is looking for something to eat.
2. Why does the old man scoop water from the sea after the marlin stops jumping?
(a) To wash the dolphin flesh off his face.
(b) To see the water temperature.
(c) To get a small drink.
(d) To medicate his left hand.
3. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
(a) That he has no chance to escape from the hook and line.
(b) That there is a man on the other end of the line and the man is old.
(c) That the boat is not just another big fish.
(d) That it is possible for him to work the hook out of his mouth.
4. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
(a) Scares up a school of flying fish.
(b) Makes the dolphins go away.
(c) Startles Santiago.
(d) Bounces like a basketball.
5. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(b) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
(c) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
(d) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
2. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
3. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
4. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
5. How many rows of teeth does the Mako shark have?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)