Eight Week Quiz E
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
(a) I wish I could feed the fish, he thought. He is my brother.
(b) He thought of how some men feared being out of sight of land in a small boat.
(c) God help me to have the cramp go.
(d) Light brisa, he thought, better weather for me than for you, fish.
2. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
(a) Fish, why don't you just give up?
(b) Fish, don't you understand that you are beaten already?
(c) Fish, you are going to die. Do you have to kill me, too?
(d) Fish, you will look good hanging from my wall.
3. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
(a) He tells the fish to come and kill him.
(b) He thinks he has two fish on his line.
(c) He thinks he sees the fish turning green.
(d) He tells himself to let the fish go.
4. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
(a) Not so well except at clubbing the big fish to death.
(b) He would get too tired because baseball games do not last for days.
(c) He couldn't do it at all because of his bone spur.
(d) Better, because his is young and strong and his father was a fisherman.
5. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
(a) That he has been headed the wrong way.
(b) That people are worrying about him.
(c) That the boy won't be there to help him.
(d) That the bones of the marlin will fall off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
2. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
3. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
4. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
5. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)