|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
(b) The wind gets stronger.
(c) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
(d) Something tugging at his line.
2. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
(a) What is left of a shark.
(b) A fish that died of starvation.
(c) Evidence of a feast the night before.
(d) A biology experiment.
3. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
(a) He gives Santiago a new sail for his boat.
(b) He goes every day to help him unload his equipment.
(c) He invites him to his parents' house for supper.
(d) He helps Santiago repaint his boat.
4. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was acting out of instinct.
(b) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(c) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(d) The old man was motivated by hate.
5. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
(a) Chases the flying fish.
(b) Pulls the boat farther out to sea.
(c) Comes to the surface from time to time.
(d) Tries to pull the boat under the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
2. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
3. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
4. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
5. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)