|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man think about a cramp?
(a) It is better than having to vomit.
(b) It is something that goes away quickly.
(c) It will make him stop fishing.
(d) It humiliates oneself.
2. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
(a) He has no idea what a bone spur is.
(b) He thinks DiMaggio has chicken feet.
(c) He thinks DiMaggio can poke out a catcher's eye.
(d) He pretends to know what a bone spur is.
3. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(b) As he ties the boat to a rock.
(c) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(d) As he furls the sail.
4. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
(a) For heaven's sake, turn around and go the other way.
(b) Fish, aren't you getting tired yet?
(c) Come on up and let me get a good look at you!
(d) I'll stay with you until I'm dead!
5. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
(a) 15 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 5 years old.
(d) 7 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
2. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
3. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
4. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
5. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)