|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
(a) I wish I could feed the fish, he thought. He is my brother.
(b) Light brisa, he thought, better weather for me than for you, fish.
(c) God help me to have the cramp go.
(d) He thought of how some men feared being out of sight of land in a small boat.
2. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
(a) Small sharks trying to get the last of the meat off the marlin.
(b) The skeleton of the great fish lashed to the skiff.
(c) Nothing, because there is no light.
(d) Gulls swarming around his boat.
3. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
(a) He buys a new sail for his boat.
(b) He gets the priest to bless his boat.
(c) He plans to row far out to fish.
(d) He takes his lucky charms with him.
4. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
(a) That he will die there with the fish.
(b) That he will cut him loose if he does not jump out of the water.
(c) That he will kill him before the day is over.
(d) That he will let the fish go after he pulls him up to the surface.
5. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
(a) That there is a cold beer waiting for him.
(b) That a boat will come out and help him.
(c) That the wind will pick up.
(d) That he will not have to fight the sharks again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
2. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
3. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
4. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
5. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)