|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
(a) Chopping it up into smaller pieces.
(b) Splashing sea water on the bow and letting it dry to get the salt.
(c) Cutting it up as soon as he caught it and letting it sun dry.
(d) Soaking it in sea water before eating it.
2. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
(a) He is reading the baseball scores.
(b) He is still sleeping.
(c) He is looking for something to eat.
(d) He is making a new harpoon.
3. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
(a) Very small but strong.
(b) As big around as a pencil.
(c) A big around as his thumb.
(d) About as thick as an oar handle.
4. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
(a) The boy would talk to him and keep him awake.
(b) The boy would have kept the line wet so that they did not cut his hands.
(c) The boy would have taken over for him and let him go back to sleep.
(d) The boy would harpoon the marlin as it jumped out of the water.
5. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
(a) For fear that the hook will work itself loose.
(b) For fear that it will attract sharks.
(c) For fear that the line will have to be let out again.
(d) For fear that it will flood the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
2. What kind of sharks came the second time?
3. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
4. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
5. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)