|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My alarm clock.
(b) My big problem.
(c) My tormentor.
(d) My morning visitor.
2. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
(b) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
(c) The head of the marlin.
(d) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
3. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
(a) He never lets me carry anything.
(b) He thinks he knows everything better than Santiago.
(c) He never catches any fish.
(d) He makes him carry everything to and from the boat.
4. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
(a) None. He continues to swim steadily.
(b) He picks up speed.
(c) He changes course and heads south.
(d) He starts going in circles.
5. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
(a) They will receive some of the marlin's strength when they eat him.
(b) They will refuse to eat him.
(c) They are unworthy to eat him.
(d) They will be more dignified than the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
2. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
3. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
4. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
5. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)