|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
(a) He tells them that Santiago is sleeping and they are not to disturb him.
(b) He refuses to speak to the other fishermen in the village.
(c) He starts a fight with a fisherman who is laughing at the old man.
(d) He holds back his tears so the men will not see his concern.
2. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
(a) Man cannot lose a battle.
(b) Man will always win over animals.
(c) Man can be destroyed but not defeated.
(d) Man can only be defeated if he loses his mind.
3. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
(a) The sunlight gives him a headache.
(b) His hand cramps.
(c) His neck hurts from continually looking down at the water.
(d) He cuts himself with a knife.
4. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(b) He always wears a new shirt.
(c) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
(d) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
5. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
(a) He is reading the baseball scores.
(b) He is still sleeping.
(c) He is looking for something to eat.
(d) He is making a new harpoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
2. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
3. How does the old man discover that the fish is slowing down?
4. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
5. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)