|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
(a) He recalls being able to see in total darkness.
(b) He recalls not ever seeing well after the sun went down.
(c) He remembers he once had night vision like a cat.
(d) He remembers that horses are blind at night.
2. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
(a) He tosses the rotting fish carcasses overboard to distract the shark.
(b) He baits a hook and throws out another line.
(c) He thinks he is dreaming.
(d) He gets his harpoon ready.
3. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
(a) The underbelly and the dorsal fin.
(b) The brain and the eye.
(c) Both eyes.
(d) The jaw and the fins.
4. During the time Santiago had the marlin on his line, what does he think the marlin does not know?
(a) That there is a man on the other end of the line and the man is old.
(b) That the boat is not just another big fish.
(c) That it is possible for him to work the hook out of his mouth.
(d) That he has no chance to escape from the hook and line.
5. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
(a) The eastern sea breezes grew stronger.
(b) His compass indicated the direction.
(c) The afternoon sun was on his back.
(d) The skiff began to go slower against the east wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
2. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
3. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
4. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
5. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)