|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
(a) His hand cramps.
(b) His neck hurts from continually looking down at the water.
(c) He cuts himself with a knife.
(d) The sunlight gives him a headache.
2. What does the old man think he killed the fish for besides food and to keep himself alive?
(a) Throwing a big party for his friends.
(b) Pride of being a fisherman.
(c) The lust for killing.
(d) Revenge for all the fish he had lost.
3. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
(a) Falling asleep.
(b) Going too fast for his lines.
(c) Thinking about the boy.
(d) Talking out loud to himself.
4. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
(a) Both eyes.
(b) The brain and the eye.
(c) The underbelly and the dorsal fin.
(d) The jaw and the fins.
5. Why does the old man scoop water from the sea after the marlin stops jumping?
(a) To get a small drink.
(b) To see the water temperature.
(c) To wash the dolphin flesh off his face.
(d) To medicate his left hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
2. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
3. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
4. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
5. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)