|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens while Santiago and the boy enjoy a beer on the Terrace?
(a) Santiago feels sad because only the boy will sit and drink with him.
(b) Santiago discovers that he has no money to pay for the beer.
(c) The boy gets drunk because his is not used to drinking beer.
(d) Some of the fishermen make fun of Santiago while others feel sorry for him.
2. What happens to Santiago as he carries the mast up the hill?
(a) He has a heart attack and dies.
(b) He hears the boy calling his name.
(c) He falls and cannot get up.
(d) He gets tangled up in the sail.
3. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
(a) The knife blade snaps off.
(b) At that moment the wind dies down.
(c) The knife comes untied from the oar.
(d) The shark almost pulls the old man overboard.
4. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
(a) The man-of-war bird.
(b) The last of his bait.
(c) Tacos the boy gave him.
(d) Raw tuna.
5. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
(a) The smell of the leftover raw fish.
(b) Another plane flies over at a low altitude.
(c) It starts to rain.
(d) The marlin is jumping again and again out of the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
2. What does the marlin do as the sun rises on the third day?
3. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
4. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
5. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)