|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
(b) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
(c) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
(d) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
2. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
(a) They attack the marlin from the head and tail.
(b) Both of them dive and attack the fish from under the water.
(c) One dives under the boat while the other comes from the surface.
(d) They dart in quickly and swim away with small bites.
3. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
(a) He carefuly starts pulling in the line.
(b) He runs up the skiff's sail.
(c) He gives the fish more line.
(d) He ties down the line to wait for the fish to tire.
4. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
(a) That there is a cold beer waiting for him.
(b) That a boat will come out and help him.
(c) That he will not have to fight the sharks again.
(d) That the wind will pick up.
5. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
(a) He will make a pilgrimmage to the Virgin of Cobre.
(b) He will demand that the boy's parents let him come back to him.
(c) He will never go fishing again.
(d) He will invite the whole village for a fish dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rows of teeth does the Mako shark have?
2. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
3. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
4. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
5. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)