|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
(a) He is making a new harpoon.
(b) He is reading the baseball scores.
(c) He is looking for something to eat.
(d) He is still sleeping.
2. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) The wind gets stronger.
(b) Something tugging at his line.
(c) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
(d) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
3. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
(b) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
(c) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
(d) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
4. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
(a) He baits a hook and throws out another line.
(b) He tosses the rotting fish carcasses overboard to distract the shark.
(c) He gets his harpoon ready.
(d) He thinks he is dreaming.
5. What advice does Santiago give the boy about the boat he is now working on?
(a) Save money and buy that boat.
(b) Leave the boat before its luck runs out.
(c) Stay there while the luck is still working for that boat.
(d) Come back and go fishing with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
2. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
3. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
4. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
5. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)