|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The old man falls over and hits his head.
(b) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
(c) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(d) The yank causes his back to ache.
2. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
(a) His line breaks.
(b) There is a beautiful sunrise.
(c) The great fish surfaces.
(d) A storm comes up.
3. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
(a) Pulls the boat farther out to sea.
(b) Chases the flying fish.
(c) Tries to pull the boat under the water.
(d) Comes to the surface from time to time.
4. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
(a) A few stars.
(b) More sharks attacking his boat.
(c) The lights of Havana.
(d) Other fishing boats out at night.
5. What kind of sharks came the second time?
(a) Yellow sharks.
(b) Shovel-nosed sharks.
(c) Great white sharks.
(d) Hammer head sharks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
2. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
3. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
4. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
5. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)