|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
(a) 7 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 15 years old.
(d) 5 years old.
2. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(b) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
(c) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
(d) He always wears a new shirt.
3. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
(a) He believes it is all he can do now.
(b) He believes it is being real.
(c) He believes it is a sin.
(d) He believes there is no such thing as hope.
4. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(b) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
(c) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(d) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
5. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
(d) Man eaters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
2. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
3. How does the old man discover that the fish is slowing down?
4. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
5. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)