|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
(a) He cannot afford another cup of coffee.
(b) It is all he will have until he returns that night.
(c) It is too hot.
(d) It has too much sugar and condensed milk in it.
2. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) A school of dolphins following the boat.
(b) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(c) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
(d) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
3. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
(b) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(c) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
(d) He always wears a new shirt.
4. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
(a) 86 days.
(b) 84 days.
(c) 67 days.
(d) 64 days.
5. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
(a) Spear fishing.
(d) Drinking beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
2. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
3. How thick is the line the old man uses to catch big fish?
4. What does the old man call the business of getting the marlin lashed to the skiff?
5. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)