|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
2. What does the old man say he has to eat in his shack?
(a) Coconut and barbecue.
(b) Yellow rice and fish.
(c) Sardines and saltine crackers.
(d) Tuna sandwiches.
3. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
(a) Raising the sail when the wind blows in the opposite direction.
(b) Lashing the oars across the stern of the skiff to increase drag.
(c) Catching more dolphin and making them pull against the marlin.
(d) Tying off the line and rowing in the opposite direction.
4. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
(a) Drinking beer.
(c) Spear fishing.
5. How many times does the old man have to stop and sit down on his way to his shack?
(a) 3 times.
(b) 5 times.
(c) 2 times.
(d) 6 times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
2. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
3. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
4. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
5. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)