|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
(a) Only that morning.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two days.
(d) One day.
2. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
(a) He starts a fight with a fisherman who is laughing at the old man.
(b) He refuses to speak to the other fishermen in the village.
(c) He holds back his tears so the men will not see his concern.
(d) He tells them that Santiago is sleeping and they are not to disturb him.
3. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
4. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
(a) His backache went away.
(b) He felt like a young man again.
(c) There was more bleeding from the cuts on his hands.
(d) His hand uncramped.
5. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
(a) A water bottle.
(b) A warm beer.
(c) A newspaper with the baseball scores.
(d) His bed has been stolen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
2. What does the old man think about a cramp?
3. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
4. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
5. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)