|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
(a) He will invite the whole village for a fish dinner.
(b) He will never go fishing again.
(c) He will demand that the boy's parents let him come back to him.
(d) He will make a pilgrimmage to the Virgin of Cobre.
2. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
(a) The bones of the marlin.
(b) A lost harpoon, a broken knife, and two bad hands.
(c) The glow of the city lights on the shore.
(d) Another 84 days of bad luck.
3. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
(a) He is still having bad luck.
(b) There is still half of the meat left on the marlin.
(c) The boy is not there to help him.
(d) The sharks know he cannot see them in the dark.
4. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
(a) Another bite of flying fish.
(b) His harpoon.
(c) His large casting net.
(d) His water bottle.
5. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
(a) He cannot use his hand at all and the boy could take over.
(b) His hand makes a claw that he thinks the boy would find funny.
(c) He thinks the boy would remember how that had happened before.
(d) He thinks how the boy would massage his hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
2. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
3. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
4. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
5. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)