|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
(a) Twice as long as he is tall.
(b) Longer than a small tree is tall.
(c) Twice as long as the last marlin he caught.
(d) Two feet longer than the skiff.
2. What is the boy's reaction when the proprietor of the Terrace compliments his catch the day before?
(a) He says to tell people to go visit the old man.
(b) He says to stop talking or it will bring him bad luck.
(c) He says the proprietor should see what the old man caught.
(d) He says to damn his fish and starts crying again.
3. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
(a) Immediately after he ran them off the first time.
(b) Just after dark.
(c) Just before sunset.
(d) Early the next morning.
4. What amusing thing does the old man say to the fish as the fish begins to come nearer the skiff?
(a) Fish, you are going to die. Do you have to kill me, too?
(b) Fish, why don't you just give up?
(c) Fish, you will look good hanging from my wall.
(d) Fish, don't you understand that you are beaten already?
5. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
(a) The knife blade snaps off.
(b) At that moment the wind dies down.
(c) The knife comes untied from the oar.
(d) The shark almost pulls the old man overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
2. What indicates the old man's pride?
3. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
4. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
5. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)