|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
(b) The call of humpback whales.
(c) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
(d) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
2. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
(a) They have no serious competition in their last games.
(b) They never need luck to win.
(c) They lost once and won't let it happen again.
(d) DiMaggio has recovered from his injury.
3. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
(a) He hardly glances at the plane as it goes over.
(b) He thinks planes are the same size as flying fish.
(c) He wonders what the sea looks like from that height.
(d) He says out loud that he would never get on one of those things.
4. What is the boy's name?
5. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
(b) Something tugging at his line.
(c) The wind gets stronger.
(d) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
2. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
3. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
4. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
5. What early indication does Santiago get that there are fish around where he is?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)