|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
(a) The pain of a sting ray's attack.
(b) The teeth of the shark.
(c) Hitting a home run.
(d) Joe DiMaggio's bone spur.
2. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
(a) They see it as a dangerous enemy.
(b) They like to think of themselves being as strong as the sea.
(c) They take shark livers from the sea.
(d) They see it as a generous man.
3. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
(a) His hand cramps.
(b) The sunlight gives him a headache.
(c) His neck hurts from continually looking down at the water.
(d) He cuts himself with a knife.
4. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
(a) He would like to talk about baseball while he fished.
(b) He thinks DiMaggio would be good at clubbing sharks to death.
(c) He wants to get free tickets to a Yankee game.
(d) He heard that DiMaggio's father was a fisherman.
5. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 7 years old.
(c) 15 years old.
(d) 5 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
2. What does Santiago look for as he sails toward the land?
3. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
4. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
5. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)