|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
(a) That it was all a dream.
(b) That he was still alive.
(c) That the worst was over.
(d) That he had killed the shark.
2. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
(a) The man-of-war bird.
(b) The last of his bait.
(c) Tacos the boy gave him.
(d) Raw tuna.
3. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
(a) That the boy cannot remember one thing about the trip.
(b) That so many years have passed since that time.
(c) That the boy has forgotten how big the fish was.
(d) That the boy remembers everything so vividly.
4. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
(a) 84 days.
(b) 64 days.
(c) 86 days.
(d) 67 days.
5. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
(a) Gulls swarming around his boat.
(b) Nothing, because there is no light.
(c) The skeleton of the great fish lashed to the skiff.
(d) Small sharks trying to get the last of the meat off the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
2. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
3. How many times does the old man have to stop and sit down on his way to his shack?
4. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
5. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)