|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
(a) It starts to rain.
(b) Another plane flies over at a low altitude.
(c) The smell of the leftover raw fish.
(d) The marlin is jumping again and again out of the sea.
2. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
(a) Gulls swarming around his boat.
(b) Small sharks trying to get the last of the meat off the marlin.
(c) Nothing, because there is no light.
(d) The skeleton of the great fish lashed to the skiff.
3. Speaking out loud, what does Santiago say to the big fish on his line?
(a) I'll stay with you until I'm dead!
(b) For heaven's sake, turn around and go the other way.
(c) Fish, aren't you getting tired yet?
(d) Come on up and let me get a good look at you!
4. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) A frying pan.
(b) Flying fish bait.
(c) Small fishing nets.
(d) A light.
5. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
(a) The Red Sox.
(b) The White Sox.
(c) The Baltimore Orioles.
(d) The Cleveland Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
2. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
3. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
4. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
5. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)