|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago dream of?
(a) The fights he had when he was young.
(b) Africa and the lions on the beach.
(c) Fishing in a new, large boat.
(d) The women he has known in his youth.
2. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
(a) To show him how big he was.
(b) To see what manner of man he was fighting with.
(c) To get some air.
(d) To see if the hook would fall out.
3. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
(a) To use no more than one line at a time.
(b) To keep the lines straight down.
(c) To bring the lines up often so the fish will notice the movement.
(d) To let the boat drift and put the lines at an angle.
4. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
(a) He refuses to speak to the other fishermen in the village.
(b) He holds back his tears so the men will not see his concern.
(c) He starts a fight with a fisherman who is laughing at the old man.
(d) He tells them that Santiago is sleeping and they are not to disturb him.
5. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was acting out of instinct.
(b) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(c) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(d) The old man was motivated by hate.
Short Answer Questions
1. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
2. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
3. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
4. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
5. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)