|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
2. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
(a) His harpoon.
(b) His water bottle.
(c) Another bite of flying fish.
(d) His large casting net.
3. Does Santiago think of the wind as his friend?
(a) Yes. Sometimes.
(b) No, because it is fickle.
(c) Yes, because it is always there.
(d) No, because it storms a lot in the Caribbean.
4. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
(a) The marlin starts swimming fast and pulls the boat with him.
(b) The fish tries to jump into the boat with the old man.
(c) The harpoon line breaks and the marlin gets away.
(d) It goes high into the air and comes back down, blinding Santiago with sea spray.
5. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) A school of dolphins following the boat.
(b) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(c) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
(d) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
2. What is the boy's name?
3. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
4. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
5. When the fish begins circling, what does the old man do?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)