|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
(a) Talking out loud to himself.
(b) Thinking about the boy.
(c) Falling asleep.
(d) Going too fast for his lines.
2. What brings the shark towards Santiago's boat?
(a) The sound of Santiago talking out loud.
(b) The flying fish jumping along side the boat.
(c) A dark cloud of blood from the marlin.
(d) A school of dolphins following the boat.
3. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
(b) They must weigh about the same.
(c) There is no one to help either of them.
(d) Both of them are old and past their prime.
4. How many times does the old man have to stop and sit down on his way to his shack?
(a) 5 times.
(b) 2 times.
(c) 3 times.
(d) 6 times.
5. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
(a) That he would not win a prize for catching the largest marlin.
(b) That people would think he had eaten part of his catch.
(c) That there would soon be other sharks.
(d) That fishermen would say he found the marlin dead and floating in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
2. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
3. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
4. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
5. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)