|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
(a) That fishermen would say he found the marlin dead and floating in the water.
(b) That there would soon be other sharks.
(c) That people would think he had eaten part of his catch.
(d) That he would not win a prize for catching the largest marlin.
2. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
(a) He believes it is being real.
(b) He believes there is no such thing as hope.
(c) He believes it is a sin.
(d) He believes it is all he can do now.
3. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
(a) His hand makes a claw that he thinks the boy would find funny.
(b) He cannot use his hand at all and the boy could take over.
(c) He thinks the boy would remember how that had happened before.
(d) He thinks how the boy would massage his hand.
4. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
(a) He was eighteen feet from nose to tail.
(b) Why would the old man bring back only bones?
(c) There is nothing left but head, tail, and bones.
(d) I need a tape to measure this fish.
5. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
(a) He has not had a beer in two days.
(b) He cannot remember what the boy looks like.
(c) He has not been able to go to the cock fights.
(d) He does not know the baseball game scores.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
2. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
3. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
4. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
5. What happens to snap the old man out of his conversation with the bird?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)