|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
(a) Yellow fish swimming just below the surface.
(b) Yellow sheets hanging on a line in the sun.
(c) People making love under a yellow blanket.
(d) A yellow oil slick on the water.
2. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
(a) The old man falls over and hits his head.
(b) The yank causes his back to ache.
(c) The line gets tangled around his feet.
(d) The line cuts his hand where he was holding it.
3. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) The marlin is too large.
(b) The skiff is too full of water.
(c) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
(d) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
4. Why do the sharks finally go away?
(a) Their heads hurt from the bat blows.
(b) They know the old man is dying.
(c) They cannot see in the dark.
(d) There is nothing left to eat on the marlin.
5. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
(a) He starts a fight with a fisherman who is laughing at the old man.
(b) He holds back his tears so the men will not see his concern.
(c) He refuses to speak to the other fishermen in the village.
(d) He tells them that Santiago is sleeping and they are not to disturb him.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
2. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
3. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
4. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
5. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)