|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
(a) He can bring back the pain in his hands by opening and closing them.
(b) He pinches himself.
(c) He falls down when he tries to get to the tiller.
(d) He feels hungry.
2. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
(a) I wish I could feed the fish, he thought. He is my brother.
(b) God help me to have the cramp go.
(c) He thought of how some men feared being out of sight of land in a small boat.
(d) Light brisa, he thought, better weather for me than for you, fish.
3. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
(a) Saving other lives.
(b) Respect for the marlin.
(c) The reward money.
4. What happens to Santiago as he carries the mast up the hill?
(a) He falls and cannot get up.
(b) He has a heart attack and dies.
(c) He hears the boy calling his name.
(d) He gets tangled up in the sail.
5. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
(b) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
(c) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
(d) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
2. What is the boy's name?
3. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
4. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
5. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)