|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
(a) Lashing his knife to the end of an oar.
(b) Making a noose out of the fishing line.
(c) Carving one of the oars into a baseball bat.
(d) Cutting off the marlin's spear to use as a harpoon.
2. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
(a) He has always loved cats because they like fish.
(b) He dreams about lions eating a huge fish they catch.
(c) They are something he saw from a ship off the coast of Africa when he was a boy.
(d) Lions make him feel strong and brave.
3. What does the old man think about to build up his courage as the sun sets on the second day?
(a) He recalls killing a shark while he was swimming one day.
(b) He thinks about how the boy looks up to him as a great fisherman.
(c) He remembers surviving after falling overboard.
(d) He remembers arm wrestling and defeating the Negro from Cienfuegos.
4. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
(a) Chopping it up into smaller pieces.
(b) Soaking it in sea water before eating it.
(c) Splashing sea water on the bow and letting it dry to get the salt.
(d) Cutting it up as soon as he caught it and letting it sun dry.
5. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
(b) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
(c) The fact that he cannot sleep.
(d) The indignity of being caught by a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
2. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
3. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
4. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
5. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)