|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
(a) Another plane flies over at a low altitude.
(b) It starts to rain.
(c) The smell of the leftover raw fish.
(d) The marlin is jumping again and again out of the sea.
2. What does Santiago reply when the boy asks how much he suffered?
(b) Only my hands.
(c) Not at all.
(d) Not much.
3. What does the old man fear since the shark had taken about forty pounds of flesh off the marlin?
(a) That fishermen would say he found the marlin dead and floating in the water.
(b) That he would not win a prize for catching the largest marlin.
(c) That people would think he had eaten part of his catch.
(d) That there would soon be other sharks.
4. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
(c) Broken knives.
(d) Catching a larger fish.
5. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
(a) More sharks attacking his boat.
(b) A few stars.
(c) Other fishing boats out at night.
(d) The lights of Havana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
2. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
3. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
4. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
5. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)