|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
(a) Nothing, because there is no light.
(b) The skeleton of the great fish lashed to the skiff.
(c) Small sharks trying to get the last of the meat off the marlin.
(d) Gulls swarming around his boat.
2. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
(a) He thinks DiMaggio would be good at clubbing sharks to death.
(b) He wants to get free tickets to a Yankee game.
(c) He would like to talk about baseball while he fished.
(d) He heard that DiMaggio's father was a fisherman.
3. Who does Santiago say should get the head of the marlin?
(c) The alcalde.
(d) The boy.
4. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
(b) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
(c) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
(d) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
5. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
(a) He tells himself to let the fish go.
(b) He tells the fish to come and kill him.
(c) He thinks he sees the fish turning green.
(d) He thinks he has two fish on his line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
2. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
3. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
4. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
5. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)