|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
(a) The boy has to re-heat the coffee.
(b) It is the next morning before he wakes up.
(c) The boy keeps thinking the old man has died.
(d) The old man talks all day in his sleep.
2. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
(a) He cuts himself with a knife.
(b) The sunlight gives him a headache.
(c) His hand cramps.
(d) His neck hurts from continually looking down at the water.
3. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(b) He always wears a new shirt.
(c) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
(d) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
4. How do you know Santiago had never been up in a plane?
(a) He hardly glances at the plane as it goes over.
(b) He thinks planes are the same size as flying fish.
(c) He wonders what the sea looks like from that height.
(d) He says out loud that he would never get on one of those things.
5. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
(d) Man eaters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
2. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
3. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
4. Why do the sharks finally go away?
5. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)