|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
(a) The food he forgot to bring.
(b) The dawn.
(c) The boy.
(d) The water bottle.
2. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
(a) My big problem.
(b) My morning visitor.
(c) My alarm clock.
(d) My tormentor.
3. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
4. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
(b) The call of humpback whales.
(c) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
(d) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
5. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
(a) Bounces like a basketball.
(b) Startles Santiago.
(c) Makes the dolphins go away.
(d) Scares up a school of flying fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago wish he could show the fish?
2. What makes the flying fish jump out of the water and scatter feverishly?
3. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
4. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
5. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)