|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
(b) Broken knives.
(c) Catching a larger fish.
2. What happens to make the old man forget his aches and pains?
(a) The great fish surfaces.
(b) A storm comes up.
(c) His line breaks.
(d) There is a beautiful sunrise.
3. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
(a) Tries to pull the boat under the water.
(b) Comes to the surface from time to time.
(c) Chases the flying fish.
(d) Pulls the boat farther out to sea.
4. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) The boy will be there waiting for him.
(b) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
(c) There is little damage to his boat.
(d) He will never have to go fishing again.
5. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) The wind gets stronger.
(b) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
(c) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
(d) Something tugging at his line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
2. How old was the boy the first time he went fishing with Santiago?
3. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
4. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
5. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)