|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
(a) A small turtle.
(b) A fish hook.
(c) Two flying fish.
(d) A piece of the marlin's tail.
2. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
(a) Going too fast for his lines.
(b) Falling asleep.
(c) Thinking about the boy.
(d) Talking out loud to himself.
3. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
(a) The marlin is jumping again and again out of the sea.
(b) It starts to rain.
(c) Another plane flies over at a low altitude.
(d) The smell of the leftover raw fish.
4. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
(a) To see if the hook would fall out.
(b) To get some air.
(c) To show him how big he was.
(d) To see what manner of man he was fighting with.
5. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
(a) The glow of the city lights on the shore.
(b) A lost harpoon, a broken knife, and two bad hands.
(c) The bones of the marlin.
(d) Another 84 days of bad luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
2. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
3. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
4. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
5. Using the makeshift bat, what is the old man able to do?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)