|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
(a) He tries to get a new sail for Santiago's boat.
(b) He tries to get his mother to make food for Santiago.
(c) He tries to get the boat he is now on to go far out near the old man.
(d) He tries to get better bait for Santiago.
2. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
(a) The boy.
(b) No one. Everyone is at home in bed.
(c) The fishermen who are laughing at him.
(d) The whole city turns out to welcome him back.
3. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
(a) He was eighteen feet from nose to tail.
(b) Why would the old man bring back only bones?
(c) I need a tape to measure this fish.
(d) There is nothing left but head, tail, and bones.
4. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
(a) He will invite the whole village for a fish dinner.
(b) He will demand that the boy's parents let him come back to him.
(c) He will make a pilgrimmage to the Virgin of Cobre.
(d) He will never go fishing again.
5. When the marlin slows and is steady, Santiago finally gets some sleep. What does he dream of instead of lions?
(a) A vast school of porpoises.
(b) Arm wrestling with the marlin.
(c) A flight on a plane.
(d) Cutting his hand on the fishing line.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
2. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
3. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
4. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
5. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)