|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) Flying fish bait.
(b) Small fishing nets.
(c) A light.
(d) A frying pan.
2. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
(a) Twice as long as the last marlin he caught.
(b) Two feet longer than the skiff.
(c) Longer than a small tree is tall.
(d) Twice as long as he is tall.
3. What does the old man think he killed the fish for besides food and to keep himself alive?
(a) Throwing a big party for his friends.
(b) The lust for killing.
(c) Pride of being a fisherman.
(d) Revenge for all the fish he had lost.
4. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
(a) He thinks how the boy would massage his hand.
(b) He thinks the boy would remember how that had happened before.
(c) He cannot use his hand at all and the boy could take over.
(d) His hand makes a claw that he thinks the boy would find funny.
5. As his head becomes unclear again, what does Santiago ask himself?
(a) Is he bringing me in or am I bringing him in?
(b) Why am I not dreaming of lions?
(c) Why didn't I just tow him behind the skiff?
(d) What happened to the marlin's dignity?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Santiago spots the shark, what does he know about the predator?
2. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
3. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
4. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
5. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)