|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
(a) For fear that the hook will work itself loose.
(b) For fear that it will attract sharks.
(c) For fear that it will flood the boat.
(d) For fear that the line will have to be let out again.
2. What is Santiago's secret for deep sea fishing?
(a) To use no more than one line at a time.
(b) To let the boat drift and put the lines at an angle.
(c) To keep the lines straight down.
(d) To bring the lines up often so the fish will notice the movement.
3. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
(a) A flying fish.
(b) An albacore.
(c) A sea turtle.
(d) A warbler.
4. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
(a) Man can only be defeated if he loses his mind.
(b) Man cannot lose a battle.
(c) Man can be destroyed but not defeated.
(d) Man will always win over animals.
5. When does the old man hoist his sail?
(a) When the winds died down.
(b) When he could not row because of the fish at the side of the skiff.
(c) When he thought he heard an airplane.
(d) When it is time to return to the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
2. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
3. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
4. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
5. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)