|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
(b) There is little damage to his boat.
(c) He will never have to go fishing again.
(d) The boy will be there waiting for him.
2. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(b) As he furls the sail.
(c) As he ties the boat to a rock.
(d) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
3. As the sun sets, what advantage does Santiago tell himself he has over the marlin?
(a) Night time is easier for a man than for a fish.
(b) On the surface, he can see the stars but the marlin cannot.
(c) He has eaten but the marlin has not.
(d) He will be able to sleep but the marlin cannot.
4. As Santiago keeps vigil over his line, what does he wish for?
(a) The boy.
(b) The water bottle.
(c) The dawn.
(d) The food he forgot to bring.
5. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
(b) Broken knives.
(c) Catching a larger fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
2. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
3. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
4. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
5. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)