|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
(a) The bones of the marlin.
(b) Another 84 days of bad luck.
(c) A lost harpoon, a broken knife, and two bad hands.
(d) The glow of the city lights on the shore.
2. What is the meaning of salao?
(a) A small room.
(b) Extreme bad luck.
(c) The champion.
(d) A greeting.
3. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
(a) He compares Santiago to a giant shark.
(b) He likens Santiago's fishing greatness to the greatest baseball managers.
(c) He says that Santiago is like Joe DiMaggio.
(d) He calls Sanitiago his hero.
4. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
(a) The damage to his boat.
(b) The long wet line he has now pulled into the skiff.
(c) His damaged hands and his painful back.
(d) The look in the marlin's eye.
5. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) He will never have to go fishing again.
(b) The boy will be there waiting for him.
(c) There is little damage to his boat.
(d) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Santiago imagine Joe DiMaggio would be able to do what he is doing with the marlin?
2. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
3. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
4. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
5. What is Santiago's plan as the fist keeps circling?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)