|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Santiago tell the fish not to jump?
(a) For fear that the line will have to be let out again.
(b) For fear that it will flood the boat.
(c) For fear that the hook will work itself loose.
(d) For fear that it will attract sharks.
2. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
(b) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
(c) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
(d) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
3. What evidence does the old man have of his long, hard fight with the marlin?
(a) His damaged hands and his painful back.
(b) The damage to his boat.
(c) The look in the marlin's eye.
(d) The long wet line he has now pulled into the skiff.
4. Why does Santiago always dream about lions?
(a) Lions make him feel strong and brave.
(b) They are something he saw from a ship off the coast of Africa when he was a boy.
(c) He dreams about lions eating a huge fish they catch.
(d) He has always loved cats because they like fish.
5. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) There is little damage to his boat.
(b) The boy will be there waiting for him.
(c) He will never have to go fishing again.
(d) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
2. How does the old man know the winds will blow all night?
3. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
4. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
5. How did the old man know the marlin had turned eastward?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)