|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
(a) Say a hundred Our Fathers and a hundred Hail Marys.
(b) Get himself a larger boat.
(c) Always bring the boy with him.
(d) Go to church every morning.
2. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
(a) A fish hook.
(b) A piece of the marlin's tail.
(c) A small turtle.
(d) Two flying fish.
3. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
(a) There was more bleeding from the cuts on his hands.
(b) His hand uncramped.
(c) His backache went away.
(d) He felt like a young man again.
4. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
(a) He likens Santiago's fishing greatness to the greatest baseball managers.
(b) He calls Sanitiago his hero.
(c) He compares Santiago to a giant shark.
(d) He says that Santiago is like Joe DiMaggio.
5. Why do the sharks finally go away?
(a) There is nothing left to eat on the marlin.
(b) Their heads hurt from the bat blows.
(c) They cannot see in the dark.
(d) They know the old man is dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Santiago plan to be out to sea?
2. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
3. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
4. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
5. What does Santiago like to read in the newspaper?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)