|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
(b) The other fishermen in the village.
(c) The boy.
(d) The great DiMaggio.
2. What vow does the old man make to the fish?
(a) That he will die there with the fish.
(b) That he will let the fish go after he pulls him up to the surface.
(c) That he will cut him loose if he does not jump out of the water.
(d) That he will kill him before the day is over.
3. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
4. What brings Santiago awake suddenly in the night?
(a) The marlin is jumping again and again out of the sea.
(b) Another plane flies over at a low altitude.
(c) It starts to rain.
(d) The smell of the leftover raw fish.
5. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
(b) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
(c) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
(d) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
2. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
3. How many rows of teeth does the Mako shark have?
4. What worries Santiago as he returns to Cuba in the night?
5. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)