|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
(a) His harpoon.
(b) The feeling in his left hand.
(c) His casting net.
(d) The tradewinds.
2. Santiago is pinned down and the line is rushing out around his back and through his hand, cutting them. What makes him think about the boy?
(a) The boy would have kept the line wet so that they did not cut his hands.
(b) The boy would talk to him and keep him awake.
(c) The boy would harpoon the marlin as it jumped out of the water.
(d) The boy would have taken over for him and let him go back to sleep.
3. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
(a) He is still having bad luck.
(b) There is still half of the meat left on the marlin.
(c) The boy is not there to help him.
(d) The sharks know he cannot see them in the dark.
4. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
(a) He changes course and heads south.
(b) He picks up speed.
(c) He starts going in circles.
(d) None. He continues to swim steadily.
5. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
(a) Hunger or fear.
(b) Just waking up.
(c) A school of dolphins.
(d) Needing more exercise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assistance for the old man does the boy try to get?
2. Because Santiago always wakes the boy every morning, what does the boy call him?
3. What makes the flying fish jump out of the water and scatter feverishly?
4. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
5. What does the shadow of a passing airplane do on the surface of the sea?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)