|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
(a) The newspapers for the days he was gone.
(b) Another cup of coffee with milk and sugar.
(c) A bowl of yellow rice and fish.
(d) The head of the marlin.
2. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
(a) His casting net.
(b) His harpoon.
(c) The feeling in his left hand.
(d) The tradewinds.
3. What two spots does Santiago hit on the first brown shark?
(a) Both eyes.
(b) The jaw and the fins.
(c) The underbelly and the dorsal fin.
(d) The brain and the eye.
4. How does the old man console himself as he returns home?
(a) He promises himself never to go that far out again.
(b) There is little damage to his boat.
(c) The boy will be there waiting for him.
(d) He will never have to go fishing again.
5. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) One day.
(d) Only that morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which line below gives an indication of Santiago's respect for nature?
2. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
3. By nightfall of the third day, what does Santiago expect to see?
4. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
5. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)