|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does he know which way to sail?
(a) From the compass he always had with him.
(b) From the stars he had seen the night before.
(c) From the sun and the tradewinds.
(d) From the way the flying fish are jumping.
2. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
(a) Another 84 days of bad luck.
(b) A lost harpoon, a broken knife, and two bad hands.
(c) The glow of the city lights on the shore.
(d) The bones of the marlin.
3. Why does Santiago think he may have to fight again before he reaches Havana?
(a) The sharks know he cannot see them in the dark.
(b) There is still half of the meat left on the marlin.
(c) The boy is not there to help him.
(d) He is still having bad luck.
4. What happens when the shovel-nose shark comes and Santiago stabs it in the brain with his makeshift harpoon?
(a) The shark almost pulls the old man overboard.
(b) The knife comes untied from the oar.
(c) At that moment the wind dies down.
(d) The knife blade snaps off.
5. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
(a) One day.
(b) Two days.
(c) Only that morning.
(d) Three days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Santiago wish the marlin would sleep?
2. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
3. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
4. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
5. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)