|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
(a) He will never go fishing again.
(b) He will make a pilgrimmage to the Virgin of Cobre.
(c) He will invite the whole village for a fish dinner.
(d) He will demand that the boy's parents let him come back to him.
2. What is the meaning of salao?
(a) A small room.
(b) A greeting.
(c) The champion.
(d) Extreme bad luck.
3. What happens to Santiago as he carries the mast up the hill?
(a) He has a heart attack and dies.
(b) He falls and cannot get up.
(c) He hears the boy calling his name.
(d) He gets tangled up in the sail.
4. Santiago's respect for nature and the marlin he has on his line is profound. What does he think about the people who will eat the great fish?
(a) They will receive some of the marlin's strength when they eat him.
(b) They are unworthy to eat him.
(c) They will refuse to eat him.
(d) They will be more dignified than the marlin.
5. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
(a) By using his right hand and holding it steady with his foot.
(b) By using his left hand and right foot.
(c) By leaving its skin on and only removing its entrails.
(d) By tying the line to the marlin on the thale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago promise that he cannot do right at the moment?
2. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
3. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
4. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
5. What does the old man do to prepare for the arrival of the shark?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)