|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Santiago have to help tire the marlin out?
(a) Tying off the line and rowing in the opposite direction.
(b) Catching more dolphin and making them pull against the marlin.
(c) Lashing the oars across the stern of the skiff to increase drag.
(d) Raising the sail when the wind blows in the opposite direction.
2. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
(a) He changes course and heads south.
(b) None. He continues to swim steadily.
(c) He starts going in circles.
(d) He picks up speed.
3. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
(a) He makes him carry everything to and from the boat.
(b) He never catches any fish.
(c) He never lets me carry anything.
(d) He thinks he knows everything better than Santiago.
4. What kind of sharks came the second time?
(a) Hammer head sharks.
(b) Yellow sharks.
(c) Shovel-nosed sharks.
(d) Great white sharks.
5. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
(a) Hunger or fear.
(b) A school of dolphins.
(c) Needing more exercise.
(d) Just waking up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
2. Santiago hates these sharks because they were something more than killers like the Mako shark. What is that?
3. What is the first thing Santiago asks the boy to bring him when he finally wakes up?
4. How long does Santiago think he will be out to sea the morning he leaves to go far out?
5. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)