|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
(a) He makes him carry everything to and from the boat.
(b) He never lets me carry anything.
(c) He never catches any fish.
(d) He thinks he knows everything better than Santiago.
2. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
(a) There was more bleeding from the cuts on his hands.
(b) He felt like a young man again.
(c) His backache went away.
(d) His hand uncramped.
3. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) A light.
(b) Flying fish bait.
(c) A frying pan.
(d) Small fishing nets.
4. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
(a) One dives under the boat while the other comes from the surface.
(b) Both of them dive and attack the fish from under the water.
(c) They attack the marlin from the head and tail.
(d) They dart in quickly and swim away with small bites.
5. Santiago is far out at sea and the fish is from deep waters. What comparison does Santiago make?
(a) There is no one to help either of them.
(b) They are like to gladiators in the arena.
(c) They must weigh about the same.
(d) Both of them are old and past their prime.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
2. While Santiago pulls in the small dolphin he catches on the stern line, what changes does the marlin make?
3. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
4. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
5. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)