|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
(b) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(c) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(d) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
2. How does the old man discover that the fish is slowing down?
(a) From the fact that the breeze subsides.
(b) From the flow of blood from his hand in the water.
(c) From the way the flying fish jump shorter distances.
(d) From the way the man-of-war bird has to use his wings more.
3. When Santiago sees the marlin jump out of the water, what does he realize?
(a) He is no physical match for the marlin.
(b) The marlin is getting very tired and the game is about over.
(c) It will take another day to bring in this marlin.
(d) He and the marlin are about the same size.
4. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
(a) A sea turtle.
(b) A warbler.
(c) A flying fish.
(d) An albacore.
5. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
(b) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
(c) The indignity of being caught by a man.
(d) The fact that he cannot sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
2. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
3. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
4. What does the old man eat to keep up his strength?
5. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)