|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(b) As he furls the sail.
(c) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(d) As he ties the boat to a rock.
2. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
(a) There was more bleeding from the cuts on his hands.
(b) His hand uncramped.
(c) He felt like a young man again.
(d) His backache went away.
3. What does Santiago have besides his strength?
(a) Knowledge of many tricks and resolutions.
(b) The very best equipment.
(c) The mind of a fish.
(d) An unsinkable boat.
4. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
(a) That it was all a dream.
(b) That he had killed the shark.
(c) That he was still alive.
(d) That the worst was over.
5. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
(b) The call of humpback whales.
(c) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
(d) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the second brown shark is killed, what does it do?
2. Obviously a very large fish that is caught on Santiago's line. What does the fish do all night long?
3. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
4. What is Santiago doing when the boy returns to his shack?
5. What marlin does Santiago think about as he considers this fish he has on his line?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)