|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
(a) A jellyfish.
(b) Some jerky he forgot he had in his pocket.
(c) The cleaned flying fish.
(d) The bad smelling dolphin.
2. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
(a) He thinks DiMaggio has chicken feet.
(b) He pretends to know what a bone spur is.
(c) He has no idea what a bone spur is.
(d) He thinks DiMaggio can poke out a catcher's eye.
3. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
(a) He thinks the fish is about to die.
(b) He was getting a good look at his fish.
(c) The fish had filled its air sacs and could not dive deep again.
(d) When the fish jumps the boat stands still.
4. When does Santiago realize the depth of his tiredness?
(a) As he walks up the hill to his shack.
(b) As he hauls the marlin's bones out of the water.
(c) As he ties the boat to a rock.
(d) As he furls the sail.
5. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
(a) Catching a larger fish.
(d) Broken knives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
2. Who helps Santiago as he lands his boat?
3. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
4. What is a favorite topic of conversation for Santiago and the boy?
5. What does the tourist woman think she is seeing as she looks at the fish skeleton?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)