|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens while Santiago and the boy enjoy a beer on the Terrace?
(a) Santiago feels sad because only the boy will sit and drink with him.
(b) The boy gets drunk because his is not used to drinking beer.
(c) Some of the fishermen make fun of Santiago while others feel sorry for him.
(d) Santiago discovers that he has no money to pay for the beer.
2. Why does the old man scoop water from the sea after the marlin stops jumping?
(a) To medicate his left hand.
(b) To wash the dolphin flesh off his face.
(c) To get a small drink.
(d) To see the water temperature.
3. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
(a) Needing more exercise.
(b) A school of dolphins.
(c) Hunger or fear.
(d) Just waking up.
4. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(b) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
(c) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
(d) He always wears a new shirt.
5. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
(a) He thinks about having to kill the marlin and is glad he does not have to kill the stars.
(b) He thinks about how deep the marlin is and how high the stars are.
(c) He thinks about how much larger the marlin is than the tiny stars.
(d) He considers the difference between night and day while fishing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tells Santiago that he is becoming unclear in the head?
2. How is he able to clean the dolphin?
3. What is the meaning of salao?
4. How does the old man get hurt when the fish yanks on the line?
5. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)