|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the boy's name?
2. What is the one thing not beautiful about the Mako shark?
(a) His color.
(b) His movements.
(c) His dorsal fin.
(d) His jaws.
3. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
(b) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
(c) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(d) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
4. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
(a) He has no idea what a bone spur is.
(b) He pretends to know what a bone spur is.
(c) He thinks DiMaggio can poke out a catcher's eye.
(d) He thinks DiMaggio has chicken feet.
5. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
(a) It goes high into the air and comes back down, blinding Santiago with sea spray.
(b) The harpoon line breaks and the marlin gets away.
(c) The fish tries to jump into the boat with the old man.
(d) The marlin starts swimming fast and pulls the boat with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Knowing what is coming as he approaches the island currents, what makeshift weapon does Santiago come up with?
2. How does Santiago estimate the size of the marlin?
3. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
4. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
5. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)