|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
(a) His hands are well enough to use both of them with the club.
(b) He is able to fight off the sharks in the dark.
(c) The sharks leave as he gets near the city.
(d) The sharks come in a pack to get the rest of the marlin.
2. After Santiago goes back to sleep, what is he dreaming of?
(a) Broken knives.
(b) Catching a larger fish.
3. What shows up that the old man thinks of as a friend to talk to?a
(a) An albacore.
(b) A flying fish.
(c) A sea turtle.
(d) A warbler.
4. Why does the old man's boat move faster as he nears the land?
(a) The winds pick up.
(b) There is little weight now on the side of his boat.
(c) He is being carried by the Gulf Stream.
(d) Sharks are pushing it along.
5. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
(a) They all look green in the water.
(b) They are always hungry.
(c) They have purple stripes or spots.
(d) They turn yellow when they are angry or frightened.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
2. What simile does Hemingway use to show the boy's admiration for Santiago?
3. What effect did his movement and the hot sun during the day have on Santiago?
4. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
5. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)