|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had become a habit for the boy during the old man's absence?
(a) Saving newspapers for Santiago to read.
(b) Waking up late so he did not have to go fishing.
(c) Arguing with the fishermen who made fun of Santiago.
(d) Stopping by Santiago's shack every morning.
2. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) The marlin is too large.
(b) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
(c) The skiff is too full of water.
(d) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
3. Who does Santiago say should get the head of the marlin?
(b) The alcalde.
(c) The boy.
4. Why do the other fishermen think of the sea in the masculine, el mar?
(a) They take shark livers from the sea.
(b) They see it as a generous man.
(c) They like to think of themselves being as strong as the sea.
(d) They see it as a dangerous enemy.
5. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) The wind gets stronger.
(b) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
(c) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
(d) Something tugging at his line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
2. When Santiago sees the marlin jump out of the water, what does he realize?
3. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
4. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
5. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)