|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Santiago console himself after the first shark attack?
(a) That he was still alive.
(b) That the worst was over.
(c) That he had killed the shark.
(d) That it was all a dream.
2. What does Santiago suddenly realize he has been doing?
(a) Going too fast for his lines.
(b) Thinking about the boy.
(c) Falling asleep.
(d) Talking out loud to himself.
3. What does the old man think is a greater punishment for the marlin than the hook in his mouth?
(a) Hunger and fighting something he does no comprehend.
(b) The indignity of being caught by a man.
(c) The fact that he cannot sleep.
(d) Sharks that he cannot escape because of the hook and line.
4. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
(a) As long as he keeps on thinking, he knows he is still alive.
(b) He can only survive by using the intelligence he has that sharks do not have.
(c) Thinking will keep him from feeling lonely without the boy there to help him.
(d) His thinking will help keep him awake after losing so much sleep.
5. How does the old man think he could have made better preparation for eating the raw fish?
(a) Soaking it in sea water before eating it.
(b) Cutting it up as soon as he caught it and letting it sun dry.
(c) Chopping it up into smaller pieces.
(d) Splashing sea water on the bow and letting it dry to get the salt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
2. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
3. Why does the old man wish to take Joe DiMaggio fishing?
4. His back is already hurting him, and then what begins to give him pain?
5. How do the brown sharks attack the old man's fish?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)