|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What last weapon does Santiago use against the sharks?
(a) A broken bottle.
(b) The mast.
(c) His fists.
(d) The tiller.
2. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
(a) He never catches any fish.
(b) He thinks he knows everything better than Santiago.
(c) He never lets me carry anything.
(d) He makes him carry everything to and from the boat.
3. Why is the old man pleased that the marlin had jumped a dozen times?
(a) When the fish jumps the boat stands still.
(b) The fish had filled its air sacs and could not dive deep again.
(c) He thinks the fish is about to die.
(d) He was getting a good look at his fish.
4. What are Santiago's last three weapons he can use against the sharks?
(a) The broken water bottle, the oars, and a club.
(b) The oars, the anchor, and some line.
(c) A broken knife, some big fish hooks, and the oars.
(d) Two oars, the tiller, and a short club.
5. Something brings Santiago out of his reverie. What is it?
(a) The wind gets stronger.
(b) The man-of-war bird lands on his boat.
(c) A dolphin jumps over his boat.
(d) Something tugging at his line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago believe are in the sea?
2. What promise does the old man make if he brings in the fish?
3. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
4. In great pain from the cold, what does the old man hope for?
5. What does the old man think he killed the fish for besides food and to keep himself alive?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)