|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(b) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
(c) It would take away too much of his own strength.
(d) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
2. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
(a) That he will fall asleep and go overborad.
(b) That the marlin will come up slowly and eat his dolphin.
(c) That he might die.
(d) That he will become unclear in the head.
3. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
(a) Man cannot lose a battle.
(b) Man can only be defeated if he loses his mind.
(c) Man will always win over animals.
(d) Man can be destroyed but not defeated.
4. Why does the boy not go out with the fishing boats the morning of Santiago's return?
(a) He was too tired from fishing the day before.
(b) He wanted to stay on the shore and watch for the old man's return.
(c) The winds were too strong for the boats to sail that morning.
(d) He found Santiago dead in his shack.
5. After killing the Mako shark, what is Santiago aware of as missing?
(a) His harpoon.
(b) The tradewinds.
(c) His casting net.
(d) The feeling in his left hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
2. What does Santiago think about giving up hope?
3. What does Santiago do when another fish takes the bait on another line?
4. When do the sharks return after Santiago loses his makeshift harpoon?
5. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)