|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
(a) They all look green in the water.
(b) They are always hungry.
(c) They have purple stripes or spots.
(d) They turn yellow when they are angry or frightened.
2. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
(a) He gets the priest to bless his boat.
(b) He plans to row far out to fish.
(c) He takes his lucky charms with him.
(d) He buys a new sail for his boat.
3. How does the boy act defensively about Santiago as the fishermen look at the marlin's skeleton?
(a) He tells them that Santiago is sleeping and they are not to disturb him.
(b) He holds back his tears so the men will not see his concern.
(c) He starts a fight with a fisherman who is laughing at the old man.
(d) He refuses to speak to the other fishermen in the village.
4. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
(a) The old man was motivated by hate.
(b) The old man was dying of skin cancer.
(c) The old man was unsure of what to do.
(d) The old man was acting out of instinct.
5. What is Santiago missing that will not allow him to attract a flying fish to land in his skiff?
(a) A light.
(b) A frying pan.
(c) Flying fish bait.
(d) Small fishing nets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Santiago as the boy talks about their first fishing trip?
2. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
3. What does Santiago do when another fish takes the bait on another line?
4. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
5. What makes the flying fish jump out of the water and scatter feverishly?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)