|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does he get something to eat?
(a) He catches seaweed and shakes the small shrimp out of it.
(b) He cuts a slice out of the marlin.
(c) He eats some of the rotting sardines and hopes it does not make him sick.
(d) He puts the small line into the water and catches a tuna.
2. What simile does Hemingway use to describe the island of Sargasso seaweed Santiago's boat passes?
(a) Yellow fish swimming just below the surface.
(b) Yellow sheets hanging on a line in the sun.
(c) People making love under a yellow blanket.
(d) A yellow oil slick on the water.
3. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
(b) The call of humpback whales.
(c) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
(d) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
4. What does Santiago plan to do to change his luck?
(a) He plans to row far out to fish.
(b) He takes his lucky charms with him.
(c) He gets the priest to bless his boat.
(d) He buys a new sail for his boat.
5. What does Santiago consider as his principal friends on the ocean?
(a) The dolphins.
(b) The flying fish.
(c) The song birds.
(d) The giant turtles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the boy fear will defeat the Yankees?
2. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
3. As he heads home and stops to look back, what does Santiago see?
4. Why is Santiago so sure that the Yankees will win their next games?
5. How many times does the old man have to stop and sit down on his way to his shack?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)