|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disappointment does the old man feel because he has been out in his boat for days?
(a) He cannot remember what the boy looks like.
(b) He does not know the baseball game scores.
(c) He has not had a beer in two days.
(d) He has not been able to go to the cock fights.
2. What indicates the old man's pride?
(a) He always wears a new shirt.
(b) At first refusing to eat what the boy has brought him.
(c) His shame at having such a patched up sail.
(d) Shame at not having enough yellow rice and fish to share with the boy.
3. Thinking about what the marlin can see deep in the water, how does Santiago recall his own vision years ago?
(a) He remembers that horses are blind at night.
(b) He recalls not ever seeing well after the sun went down.
(c) He remembers he once had night vision like a cat.
(d) He recalls being able to see in total darkness.
4. What does Santiago think might have caused the fish to jump so much?
(a) Needing more exercise.
(b) Just waking up.
(c) Hunger or fear.
(d) A school of dolphins.
5. What word does Santiago utter that Hemingway says there is no translation for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man speculate he could use to buy good luck?
2. What happens by midnight as Santiago returns to the land?
3. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
4. What does Santiago find in the dolphin's maw when he cuts it open?
5. What complaint does the boy have about the fisherman he works for after he is forced to leave Santiago?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)