|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What commonality does Santiago observe in deep water fish when they pick up speed?
(a) They have purple stripes or spots.
(b) They are always hungry.
(c) They turn yellow when they are angry or frightened.
(d) They all look green in the water.
2. How do we know the old man sleeps for a very long time?
(a) The old man talks all day in his sleep.
(b) The boy keeps thinking the old man has died.
(c) It is the next morning before he wakes up.
(d) The boy has to re-heat the coffee.
3. What does Santiago mean when he says that he must think because that is all he has left?
(a) Thinking will keep him from feeling lonely without the boy there to help him.
(b) As long as he keeps on thinking, he knows he is still alive.
(c) He can only survive by using the intelligence he has that sharks do not have.
(d) His thinking will help keep him awake after losing so much sleep.
4. Why does Santiago decide to re-bait the the small line over the stern of the boat?
(a) Anything he catches on the small line will draw the sharks away from the marlin.
(b) He needs to keep busy to get his hand to uncramp.
(c) In case the marlin lasts another night, he will need something to eat.
(d) He thinks doing that will take him mind off his pains.
5. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
(a) The cleaned flying fish.
(b) Some jerky he forgot he had in his pocket.
(c) A jellyfish.
(d) The bad smelling dolphin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the flying fish jump out of the water and scatter feverishly?
2. After he finally gets to the shack and puts down the mast, what does Santiago find?
3. What does Hemingway mean when he says that the old man harpooned the shark with resolution and complete malignancy?
4. After eating the raw dolphin, what does the old man promise he will do in the future?
5. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)