|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound of nature replaces human sounds as Santiago rows farther and farther out to sea?
(a) The chatter of dolphins searching for breakfast.
(b) The call of humpback whales.
(c) The lapping of the waves against the skiff.
(d) The hissing of the wings of flying fish.
2. What does Santiago do when another fish takes the bait on another line?
(a) He laughs at his good luck.
(b) He cuts it loose.
(c) He hopes it is small enough to attract other big fish.
(d) He drops anchor.
3. After many tries to get the marlin alongside the skiff, what does Santiago reach for?
(a) Another bite of flying fish.
(b) His water bottle.
(c) His large casting net.
(d) His harpoon.
4. When does the old man hoist his sail?
(a) When it is time to return to the island.
(b) When he could not row because of the fish at the side of the skiff.
(c) When the winds died down.
(d) When he thought he heard an airplane.
5. Who does Santiago think would be proud of him after he gets the fish lashed to the boat?
(b) The great DiMaggio.
(c) The other fishermen in the village.
(d) The boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the sharks finally go away?
2. What does Santiago imagine was the reason the fish finally jumped?
3. Why does Santiago drink his morning coffee slowly?
4. Why does Santiago feel sorry for the terns?
5. What does the old man eat to get more strength after he washed his face and hands?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)