|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the old man never jerk on the line?
(a) Each jerk widens the cut the hook makes and with a jump the fish might throw it off.
(b) A jerk on the line might make the fish pull him overboard.
(c) It would take away too much of his own strength.
(d) His hand is too cramped up to jerk on the line.
2. What does Santiago think is unjust but something he must do?
(a) Cut the marlin loose and go back saying he had another day of bad luck.
(b) Kill the great fish on the end of his line.
(c) Eat more raw fish to survive.
(d) Act strange for the boy.
3. What funny thing does Santiago say to himself after thinking about what he had not brought with him on this fishing trip?
(a) If more sharks come and eat the rest of the fish, the boat will go faster.
(b) Imagine all that work just to feed the sharks.
(c) I caught the biggest fish ever but no one will believe it.
(d) You give me much good counsel. I'm tired of it.
4. To what does Santiago compare his damaged hands while harpooning the shark?
(a) Joe DiMaggio's bone spur.
(b) The teeth of the shark.
(c) The pain of a sting ray's attack.
(d) Hitting a home run.
5. Why doesn't Santiago put the marlin into his boat?
(a) He is blinded by seawater and cannot see.
(b) The skiff is too full of water.
(c) He thinks it would be disrespectful.
(d) The marlin is too large.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man conclude defeated him?
2. What does the old man imagine about the marlin if it had been alive?
3. What does his cramped hand make Santiago think about the boy?
4. How does Hemingway use Joe DiMaggio's injury to show Santiago's limited education?
5. How does Santiago know that he is not dead?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)