|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Detailed Summary & Analysis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Santiago recalls catching marlin that weighed over a thousand pounds. Why is this time different?
(a) This time the fish shows no signs of tiring.
(b) This time he has only a small casting net with him.
(c) Before he was in a much larger boat.
(d) Before he always had someone to help him.
2. What happens after the old man harpoons the fish?
(a) The harpoon line breaks and the marlin gets away.
(b) The marlin starts swimming fast and pulls the boat with him.
(c) It goes high into the air and comes back down, blinding Santiago with sea spray.
(d) The fish tries to jump into the boat with the old man.
3. What does Santiago mean when he thinks that man is not made for defeat?
(a) Man cannot lose a battle.
(b) Man can be destroyed but not defeated.
(c) Man can only be defeated if he loses his mind.
(d) Man will always win over animals.
4. What does the fisherman say about the marlin to the boy?
(a) He was eighteen feet from nose to tail.
(b) Why would the old man bring back only bones?
(c) There is nothing left but head, tail, and bones.
(d) I need a tape to measure this fish.
5. How does Santiago justify killing the shark?
(a) Respect for the marlin.
(c) The reward money.
(d) Saving other lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Santiago fear if he does not sleep after two days?
2. When does the old man hoist his sail?
3. What contrast does Santiago think about that shows the hard work ahead of him as night falls?
4. When does Santiago finally see the lights of the city?
5. What does Santiago dream of?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)