Detailed Summary & Analysis
1. How long had Santiago gone without catching a fish?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 84 days.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 87 days.
2. What is the meaning of salao?
(a) A greeting.
(b) A small room.
(c) The champion.
(d) Extreme bad luck.
3. Why does the boy stop fishing with Santiago?
(a) His parents think Santiago has bad character.
(b) His parents do not want him to go to sea.
(c) His parents force him to go with a lucky boat.
(d) His parents think Santiago's boat is unsafe.
4. Even though the boy can no longer fish with Santiago, how does he show his loyalty?
(a) He invites him to his parents' house for supper.
(b) He helps Santiago repaint his boat.
(c) He gives Santiago a new sail for his boat.
(d) He goes every day to help him unload his equipment.
5. How long had their last dry spell lasted before the old man and the boy caught some good fish?
(a) 86 days.
(b) 67 days.
(c) 84 days.
(d) 64 days.
This section contains 7,354 words
(approx. 25 pages at 300 words per page)