Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what type of bed did Arroyo sleep when he was a child?
2. What does Harriet think is living inside the bodies of all living people?
3. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
4. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
5. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
The old gringo comes to view many of the characters in the novel as his children as he feels a very paternal bond with them. Choose two characters that the old gringo has this bond with and explain the nature of the relationships. Then, compare and contrast the relationship the old gringo has with these characters to the relationship he has with his real children in California.
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)