|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What look does Colonel Frutos García claim is written all over the old gringo's face?
2. In what room of La Luna's home did General Arroyo hide during the early days of the revolution?
3. Which character's real name is Ambrose Bierce?
4. Who holds Harriet back when she tries to chase Arroyo away from killing the old gringo?
5. What type of dog was penned in with Arroyo when he was hiding in La Luna's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo comes to view many of the characters in the novel as his children as he feels a very paternal bond with them. Choose two characters that the old gringo has this bond with and explain the nature of the relationships. Then, compare and contrast the relationship the old gringo has with these characters to the relationship he has with his real children in California.
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo is commonly compared to a ghost or an apparition in the novel. Give a detailed description of what the old gringo looks like, and explain how his looks are commonly misconstrued as being ghostly. Finally, choose one example from the text that highlights whether this ghostly appearance proves to be a benefit or a hindrance in the old man's life.
Essay Topic 3
General Arroyo has spent his entire life looking up to Pancho Villa. Explain why Arroyo idolized Pancho Villa as he did, and then describe what happens when the two generals finally meet on Mexican soil. Is it the encounter Arroyo had hoped for? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)