|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harriet plan to have the old gringo's body buried?
2. How old is the girl that Harriet saves by sucking phlegm out of her throat?
3. Who holds Harriet back when she tries to chase Arroyo away from killing the old gringo?
4. On what day of the week did La Luna's servants line up to be paid?
5. How long does Arroyo wait in La Luna's house without food?
Essay Topic 1
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
Essay Topic 2
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo is commonly compared to a ghost or an apparition in the novel. Give a detailed description of what the old gringo looks like, and explain how his looks are commonly misconstrued as being ghostly. Finally, choose one example from the text that highlights whether this ghostly appearance proves to be a benefit or a hindrance in the old man's life.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)