Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what type of bed did Arroyo sleep when he was a child?
2. What does Harriet think is living inside the bodies of all living people?
3. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
4. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
5. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
Essay Topic 1
The women in the Mexican village play an important role in distinguishing gender roles in the novel. Explain the role the women villagers had in their home, and then discuss the reaction, the old gringo and Harriet, each had to the gender roles present in Mexico at this time.
Essay Topic 2
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)