|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what type of bed did Arroyo sleep when he was a child?
2. What does Harriet think is living inside the bodies of all living people?
3. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
4. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
5. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
Essay Topic 1
The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo is commonly compared to a ghost or an apparition in the novel. Give a detailed description of what the old gringo looks like, and explain how his looks are commonly misconstrued as being ghostly. Finally, choose one example from the text that highlights whether this ghostly appearance proves to be a benefit or a hindrance in the old man's life.
Essay Topic 3
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)