|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
2. Before leaving, how long did Arroyo live on the hacienda?
3. What does Arroyo feel is keeping him prisoner in his adulthood?
4. Why does Harriet have the servants set to sweeping up the ashes in the hacienda?
5. On what day of the week did La Luna's servants line up to be paid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of newspaper reporters has a lot of power in this novel. Explain the role that the written word had first in the old gringo's life during the Civil War, and compare and contrast this impact to the role newspaper journalists had in Harriet's life upon returning home to Mexico.
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo comes to view many of the characters in the novel as his children as he feels a very paternal bond with them. Choose two characters that the old gringo has this bond with and explain the nature of the relationships. Then, compare and contrast the relationship the old gringo has with these characters to the relationship he has with his real children in California.
Essay Topic 3
The women in the Mexican village play an important role in distinguishing gender roles in the novel. Explain the role the women villagers had in their home, and then discuss the reaction, the old gringo and Harriet, each had to the gender roles present in Mexico at this time.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)