|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what type of bed did Arroyo sleep when he was a child?
2. What does Arroyo feel is keeping him prisoner in his adulthood?
3. What type of dog was penned in with Arroyo when he was hiding in La Luna's home?
4. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
5. Before leaving, how long did Arroyo live on the hacienda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in the Mexican village play an important role in distinguishing gender roles in the novel. Explain the role the women villagers had in their home, and then discuss the reaction, the old gringo and Harriet, each had to the gender roles present in Mexico at this time.
Essay Topic 2
The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)