|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Arroyo plan to shame his father?
2. How does the old gringo feel when he thinks back on his time in the Civil War?
3. In the dream Arroyo has in which his mother is legally married to his father, what becomes of his father's other wife?
4. What does Harriet share with the old gringo, which makes her cling to him in Mexico?
5. How does Harriet feel after she makes love to Arroyo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in the Mexican village play an important role in distinguishing gender roles in the novel. Explain the role the women villagers had in their home, and then discuss the reaction, the old gringo and Harriet, each had to the gender roles present in Mexico at this time.
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo comes to view many of the characters in the novel as his children as he feels a very paternal bond with them. Choose two characters that the old gringo has this bond with and explain the nature of the relationships. Then, compare and contrast the relationship the old gringo has with these characters to the relationship he has with his real children in California.
Essay Topic 3
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)