|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what type of bed did Arroyo sleep when he was a child?
2. What does Harriet think is living inside the bodies of all living people?
3. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
4. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
5. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 2
General Arroyo has a real hatred for the American and European forces that are invading Mexico, and yet he finds himself in close relationships with two Americans. Explain why Arroyo has such hatred for the American forces in Mexico, and why he chooses to make two special exceptions to his rule when it comes to the old gringo and Harriet.
Essay Topic 3
It becomes clear quite early in the text that the old gringo is running away from his past as he flees to Mexico. Explain the history of events that have happened in the old gringo's life, and how these events inevitably led him to Mexico.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)