|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the outfit Pancho Villa is wearing when he arrives to speak with American reporters?
2. When do the Mexican people take siesta?
3. In the dream Arroyo has in which his mother is legally married to his father, what becomes of his father's other wife?
4. Where is Arroyo's father's dead body hung to rot?
5. What reason does Colonel García give Pedro for the women waiting in line outside the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
Essay Topic 3
It becomes clear quite early in the text that the old gringo is running away from his past as he flees to Mexico. Explain the history of events that have happened in the old gringo's life, and how these events inevitably led him to Mexico.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)