|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pancho Villa do for a living before he became a revolutionary?
2. Whom will the Old Gringo be buried next to?
3. How does the old gringo feel when he thinks back on his time in the Civil War?
4. Which woman runs up the arriving soldiers and immediately begins flirting with them?
5. What does Harriet share with the old gringo, which makes her cling to him in Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
General Arroyo has a real hatred for the American and European forces that are invading Mexico, and yet he finds himself in close relationships with two Americans. Explain why Arroyo has such hatred for the American forces in Mexico, and why he chooses to make two special exceptions to his rule when it comes to the old gringo and Harriet.
Essay Topic 2
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
Essay Topic 3
Marksmanship among the male characters in the novel is thought to be the highest skill of strength. Choose two scenes in which marksmanship of characters is evaluated, and explain why this skill would be so heavily sought in the Mexican Revolution.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)