|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one room that Arroyo does NOT destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
2. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
3. Which of the following items does NOT adorn the statue of Jesus hanging on the cross during the Mexican fiesta?
4. Who accompanies Harriet to the chapel where she must pick up the old gringo's body?
5. How does the old gringo feel about Harriet's relationship with Arroyo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
Essay Topic 2
The role of newspaper reporters has a lot of power in this novel. Explain the role that the written word had first in the old gringo's life during the Civil War, and compare and contrast this impact to the role newspaper journalists had in Harriet's life upon returning home to Mexico.
Essay Topic 3
Marksmanship among the male characters in the novel is thought to be the highest skill of strength. Choose two scenes in which marksmanship of characters is evaluated, and explain why this skill would be so heavily sought in the Mexican Revolution.
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)