|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what religion was La Luna raised?
2. Where does Harriet plan to have the old gringo's body buried?
3. On what type of bed did Arroyo sleep when he was a child?
4. Who gave young Arroyo the box of papers that declared him rightful owner of the hacienda?
5. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 2
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)