Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what type of bed did Arroyo sleep when he was a child?
2. What does Harriet think is living inside the bodies of all living people?
3. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
4. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
5. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
Essay Topic 1
Harriet had many male suitors in her lifetime yet found she was unable to settle down. Choose two suitors that courted Harriet, describe them, and compare and contrast their methods of wooing this woman. Finally, explain why Harriet ends up alone and lonely by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
General Arroyo has a real hatred for the American and European forces that are invading Mexico, and yet he finds himself in close relationships with two Americans. Explain why Arroyo has such hatred for the American forces in Mexico, and why he chooses to make two special exceptions to his rule when it comes to the old gringo and Harriet.
Essay Topic 3
The three main characters in the novel, the old gringo, Harriet, and Arroyo, each have strained relationships with their fathers. Briefly describe the relationship each character had with their father, and then explain how those relationships affected each character into their adulthood.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)