|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What look does Colonel Frutos García claim is written all over the old gringo's face?
2. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the outfit Pancho Villa is wearing when he arrives to speak with American reporters?
4. Why did La Luna's husband lose interest in her?
5. Where does Harriet plan to have the old gringo's body buried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in the Mexican village play an important role in distinguishing gender roles in the novel. Explain the role the women villagers had in their home, and then discuss the reaction, the old gringo and Harriet, each had to the gender roles present in Mexico at this time.
Essay Topic 2
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo comes to view many of the characters in the novel as his children as he feels a very paternal bond with them. Choose two characters that the old gringo has this bond with and explain the nature of the relationships. Then, compare and contrast the relationship the old gringo has with these characters to the relationship he has with his real children in California.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)