|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of the week did La Luna's servants line up to be paid?
2. Why does Harriet have the servants set to sweeping up the ashes in the hacienda?
3. Where will Arroyo's body be buried?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the outfit Pancho Villa is wearing when he arrives to speak with American reporters?
5. How does the old gringo feel when he thinks back on his time in the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo is commonly compared to a ghost or an apparition in the novel. Give a detailed description of what the old gringo looks like, and explain how his looks are commonly misconstrued as being ghostly. Finally, choose one example from the text that highlights whether this ghostly appearance proves to be a benefit or a hindrance in the old man's life.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)