|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet think Arroyo smells like?
2. On what day of the week did La Luna's servants line up to be paid?
3. What does La Luna use to muffle the sound of her voice when she is gossiping with Harriet?
4. Pancho Villa jokes with reporters about relocating north to where?
5. How long does Arroyo wait in La Luna's house without food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It becomes clear quite early in the text that the old gringo is running away from his past as he flees to Mexico. Explain the history of events that have happened in the old gringo's life, and how these events inevitably led him to Mexico.
Essay Topic 2
The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)