|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom will the Old Gringo be buried next to?
2. How can the old gringo tell that La Luna is an educated woman?
3. Why does Harriet have the servants set to sweeping up the ashes in the hacienda?
4. Why does General Arroyo pull his hat down and his serape up?
5. What does Harriet set out into the hallway to teach the servants about temptation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 2
The women in the Mexican village play an important role in distinguishing gender roles in the novel. Explain the role the women villagers had in their home, and then discuss the reaction, the old gringo and Harriet, each had to the gender roles present in Mexico at this time.
Essay Topic 3
Harriet had many male suitors in her lifetime yet found she was unable to settle down. Choose two suitors that courted Harriet, describe them, and compare and contrast their methods of wooing this woman. Finally, explain why Harriet ends up alone and lonely by the end of the novel.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)