|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes La Luna's husband?
2. How do the soldiers react to Arroyo's killing of the old gringo?
3. What is the one room that Arroyo does NOT destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
4. When do the Mexican people take siesta?
5. Who gave young Arroyo the box of papers that declared him rightful owner of the hacienda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
Essay Topic 2
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
Essay Topic 3
Harriet had many male suitors in her lifetime yet found she was unable to settle down. Choose two suitors that courted Harriet, describe them, and compare and contrast their methods of wooing this woman. Finally, explain why Harriet ends up alone and lonely by the end of the novel.
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)