|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harriet feel after she makes love to Arroyo?
2. Whom will the Old Gringo be buried next to?
3. After the old gringo returns from battle and goes to greet Harriet, what has she just finished doing?
4. When Harriet is dancing with Arroyo, whom does she imagine she is dancing with?
5. What does La Luna say women are that men are not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Harriet has two men that she views as a father figure. Compare and contrast the role that each of these men played in Harriet's life, and explain why she has the conflicted emotions that she does about who she should consider her "father".
Essay Topic 2
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo comes to view many of the characters in the novel as his children as he feels a very paternal bond with them. Choose two characters that the old gringo has this bond with and explain the nature of the relationships. Then, compare and contrast the relationship the old gringo has with these characters to the relationship he has with his real children in California.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)