|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did La Luna's husband lose interest in her?
2. When Harriet returns to what she left in the hallway, how much has been stolen?
3. What reason does Colonel García give Pedro for the women waiting in line outside the village?
4. What is the one room that Arroyo does NOT destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
5. In what room of La Luna's home did General Arroyo hide during the early days of the revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three main characters in the novel, the old gringo, Harriet, and Arroyo, each have strained relationships with their fathers. Briefly describe the relationship each character had with their father, and then explain how those relationships affected each character into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
General Arroyo had a very rough childhood leading up to his days in the revolution. Write out a time line of events that pushed Arroyo toward his position as a revolutionary. Then, explain how Arroyo's childhood problems came back to haunt him while he was living his military life.
Essay Topic 3
The role of newspaper reporters has a lot of power in this novel. Explain the role that the written word had first in the old gringo's life during the Civil War, and compare and contrast this impact to the role newspaper journalists had in Harriet's life upon returning home to Mexico.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)