|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pancho Villa jokes with reporters about relocating north to where?
2. What sound do the old gringo and Harriet hear, which they think is gunshots?
3. What does Arroyo hope Harriet will take back to America with her?
4. On what day of the week did La Luna's servants line up to be paid?
5. Which character's real name is Ambrose Bierce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
General Arroyo has a real hatred for the American and European forces that are invading Mexico, and yet he finds himself in close relationships with two Americans. Explain why Arroyo has such hatred for the American forces in Mexico, and why he chooses to make two special exceptions to his rule when it comes to the old gringo and Harriet.
Essay Topic 2
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
Essay Topic 3
Harriet had many male suitors in her lifetime yet found she was unable to settle down. Choose two suitors that courted Harriet, describe them, and compare and contrast their methods of wooing this woman. Finally, explain why Harriet ends up alone and lonely by the end of the novel.
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)