|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pancho Villa do for a living before he became a revolutionary?
2. In the dream Arroyo has in which his mother is legally married to his father, what becomes of his father's other wife?
3. How long does Arroyo wait in La Luna's house without food?
4. Where will Arroyo's body be buried?
5. What does Harriet set out into the hallway to teach the servants about temptation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Civil War plays a large role in shaping the character of the old gringo. Explain what position the old gringo had during the Civil War, and choose two vivid memories he has of his time, and explain how each of those memories affected the old gringo during his time fighting for the Mexican revolution.
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo comes to view many of the characters in the novel as his children as he feels a very paternal bond with them. Choose two characters that the old gringo has this bond with and explain the nature of the relationships. Then, compare and contrast the relationship the old gringo has with these characters to the relationship he has with his real children in California.
Essay Topic 3
General Arroyo has spent his entire life looking up to Pancho Villa. Explain why Arroyo idolized Pancho Villa as he did, and then describe what happens when the two generals finally meet on Mexican soil. Is it the encounter Arroyo had hoped for? Why or why not?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)