|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers react to Arroyo's killing of the old gringo?
2. Which of the following best describes La Luna's husband?
3. Who had been spreading the rumors about an American soldier fighting alongside the Mexican revolutionaries?
4. Who holds Harriet back when she tries to chase Arroyo away from killing the old gringo?
5. Which of the following is the name Pancho Villa had before he became famous?
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo is commonly compared to a ghost or an apparition in the novel. Give a detailed description of what the old gringo looks like, and explain how his looks are commonly misconstrued as being ghostly. Finally, choose one example from the text that highlights whether this ghostly appearance proves to be a benefit or a hindrance in the old man's life.
Essay Topic 3
Marksmanship among the male characters in the novel is thought to be the highest skill of strength. Choose two scenes in which marksmanship of characters is evaluated, and explain why this skill would be so heavily sought in the Mexican Revolution.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)