|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harriet feel after she makes love to Arroyo?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the outfit Pancho Villa is wearing when he arrives to speak with American reporters?
3. What does Arroyo hope Harriet will take back to America with her?
4. What object belonging to Arroyo does the old gringo destroy moments before his death?
5. In what room of La Luna's home did General Arroyo hide during the early days of the revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
General Arroyo had a very rough childhood leading up to his days in the revolution. Write out a time line of events that pushed Arroyo toward his position as a revolutionary. Then, explain how Arroyo's childhood problems came back to haunt him while he was living his military life.
Essay Topic 2
Harriet had many male suitors in her lifetime yet found she was unable to settle down. Choose two suitors that courted Harriet, describe them, and compare and contrast their methods of wooing this woman. Finally, explain why Harriet ends up alone and lonely by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The three main characters in the novel, the old gringo, Harriet, and Arroyo, each have strained relationships with their fathers. Briefly describe the relationship each character had with their father, and then explain how those relationships affected each character into their adulthood.
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)