|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers react to Arroyo's killing of the old gringo?
2. What sound do the old gringo and Harriet hear, which they think is gunshots?
3. After the old gringo dies, what freak weather occurs in the desert?
4. Which of the following items does NOT adorn the statue of Jesus hanging on the cross during the Mexican fiesta?
5. How old is the girl that Harriet saves by sucking phlegm out of her throat?
Essay Topic 1
The Civil War plays a large role in shaping the character of the old gringo. Explain what position the old gringo had during the Civil War, and choose two vivid memories he has of his time, and explain how each of those memories affected the old gringo during his time fighting for the Mexican revolution.
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo is commonly compared to a ghost or an apparition in the novel. Give a detailed description of what the old gringo looks like, and explain how his looks are commonly misconstrued as being ghostly. Finally, choose one example from the text that highlights whether this ghostly appearance proves to be a benefit or a hindrance in the old man's life.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)