|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the outfit Pancho Villa is wearing when he arrives to speak with American reporters?
2. Who holds Harriet back when she tries to chase Arroyo away from killing the old gringo?
3. What type of man does Arroyo view as the most dangerous kind in the world?
4. What type of dog was penned in with Arroyo when he was hiding in La Luna's home?
5. How does the old gringo feel when he thinks back on his time in the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Marksmanship among the male characters in the novel is thought to be the highest skill of strength. Choose two scenes in which marksmanship of characters is evaluated, and explain why this skill would be so heavily sought in the Mexican Revolution.
Essay Topic 2The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
Essay Topic 3It becomes clear quite early in the text that the old gringo is running away from his past as he flees to Mexico. Explain the history of events that have happened in the old gringo's life, and how these events inevitably led him to Mexico.
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)