|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers react to Arroyo's killing of the old gringo?
2. Whom will the Old Gringo be buried next to?
3. What is the one room that Arroyo does NOT destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
4. Who gave young Arroyo the box of papers that declared him rightful owner of the hacienda?
5. Whom does Arroyo think Harriet smells like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three main characters in the novel, the old gringo, Harriet, and Arroyo, each have strained relationships with their fathers. Briefly describe the relationship each character had with their father, and then explain how those relationships affected each character into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Harriet has two men that she views as a father figure. Compare and contrast the role that each of these men played in Harriet's life, and explain why she has the conflicted emotions that she does about who she should consider her "father".
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)