|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arroyo kill the old gringo?
2. How old is the girl that Harriet saves by sucking phlegm out of her throat?
3. What does La Luna say women are that men are not?
4. Before leaving, how long did Arroyo live on the hacienda?
5. Where is Arroyo's father's dead body hung to rot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
Essay Topic 2
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
Essay Topic 3
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)