|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the old gringo when he reaches Mexico?
2. In what city of Texas does the old gringo stop before he travels to Mexico?
3. What type of church does Harriet attend weekly?
4. What is Harriet's last name?
5. What does the general tell the old gringo to tend to when he says that he wants to fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises the old gringo when he reaches El Paso, Texas?
2. In what way does the reader get insight into Harriet Winslow's memories?
3. What choice in battle does the old gringo have when he and General Arroyo reach the clearing?
4. How does Harriet figure out who the old gringo truly is?
5. What thoughts do Harriet and the old gringo have when they think they hear gunshots during the fiesta?
6. What reaction does Harriet have to seeing that the jewels she has set out have vanished?
7. How has Harriet come to be alone in Mexico?
8. Why does the Colonel push his crew to hurry up with the old gringo's body?
9. How does Harriet intend to teach the servants about temptation?
10. How does the old gringo feel about Harriet Winslow's dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
General Arroyo has spent his entire life looking up to Pancho Villa. Explain why Arroyo idolized Pancho Villa as he did, and then describe what happens when the two generals finally meet on Mexican soil. Is it the encounter Arroyo had hoped for? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 3
Harriet had many male suitors in her lifetime yet found she was unable to settle down. Choose two suitors that courted Harriet, describe them, and compare and contrast their methods of wooing this woman. Finally, explain why Harriet ends up alone and lonely by the end of the novel.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)