|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explodes in front of the old gringo right as he is entering Mexico?
2. How old is Mr. Delaney?
3. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
4. Where does Harriet sleep at night?
5. Who organizes the cleanup of the hacienda fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the guerrilla soldiers react to seeing the mirrors in the ballroom?
2. How does Harriet figure out who the old gringo truly is?
3. How does Harriet intend to teach the servants about temptation?
4. Why does the Colonel push his crew to hurry up with the old gringo's body?
5. Why does La Garduña frantically wake Harriet from her siesta?
6. What reaction does La Luna have to hearing of Arroyo's infidelity?
7. How did it come to be that Harriet was left without a dowry?
8. What vanities does the old gringo have, and how do the other soldiers respond to them?
9. Why is the old gringo worried about his interactions with Harriet when he first meets her?
10. What choice in battle does the old gringo have when he and General Arroyo reach the clearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
Essay Topic 3
Marksmanship among the male characters in the novel is thought to be the highest skill of strength. Choose two scenes in which marksmanship of characters is evaluated, and explain why this skill would be so heavily sought in the Mexican Revolution.
This section contains 1,750 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)