|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did the old gringo wander about the desert before finding the guerrillas?
2. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
3. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
4. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
5. After Harriet's confrontation with General Arroyo, what beverage does she drink with the old gringo inside the Pullman car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the letter from the Miranda family arrives to Harriet's home?
2. How does the old gringo feel about Harriet Winslow's dreams?
3. What happens in the few moments leading up to the old gringo's death?
4. Why is the old gringo worried about his interactions with Harriet when he first meets her?
5. How did it come to be that Harriet was left without a dowry?
6. What vanities does the old gringo have, and how do the other soldiers respond to them?
7. How does Arroyo's father actually die?
8. As an old woman, what is Harriet's life like?
9. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
10. Who is Mr. Delaney?
Essay Topic 1
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 3
The Civil War plays a large role in shaping the character of the old gringo. Explain what position the old gringo had during the Civil War, and choose two vivid memories he has of his time, and explain how each of those memories affected the old gringo during his time fighting for the Mexican revolution.
This section contains 1,780 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)