|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who states that the old gringo is probably a man of honor?
2. In what war did the old gringo fight?
3. What does Harriet remember the young Mexican boy who accompanied her to the Mexican border carrying?
4. What color are all the clothes that the old gringo wears to travel?
5. In what interesting room of an old building do Harriet and the old gringo talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the old gringo fights back against the enemy soldiers that attack him and General Arroyo as they are heading to Zacatecas?
2. What is the old gringo's first reaction to Harriet Winslow when he sees her in a crowd?
3. Why does La Garduña frantically wake Harriet from her siesta?
4. What two elements does Arroyo see has held him in a prison throughout his life.
5. What thoughts do Harriet and the old gringo have when they think they hear gunshots during the fiesta?
6. Where does Colonel Frutos García find the old gringo?
7. How does Harriet feel upon returning home from Mexico?
8. What information is contained in the old papers General Arroyo stores in his train car?
9. How did it come to be that Harriet was left without a dowry?
10. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Harriet has two men that she views as a father figure. Compare and contrast the role that each of these men played in Harriet's life, and explain why she has the conflicted emotions that she does about who she should consider her "father".
Essay Topic 2
The role of newspaper reporters has a lot of power in this novel. Explain the role that the written word had first in the old gringo's life during the Civil War, and compare and contrast this impact to the role newspaper journalists had in Harriet's life upon returning home to Mexico.
Essay Topic 3
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)