|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does General Arroyo think should be put in the position of protecting Harriet?
2. When Harriet dreams of Tomás, what thought takes over her mind?
3. Why has Harriet come to Mexico?
4. Why does the old gringo think that Harriet was hired?
5. Where does Harriet sleep at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harriet feel upon returning home from Mexico?
2. What reaction does La Luna have to hearing of Arroyo's infidelity?
3. What effect did Pancho Villa have on La Luna's life?
4. Where does Colonel Frutos García find the old gringo?
5. Why did Harriet and her mother move from New York to Washington D.C.?
6. What happens when the old gringo meets an old couple living in a tiny hut on the border of Mexico?
7. How does the general respond to the coin the old gringo has just shot?
8. What does the old gringo carry with him when he travels?
9. What is the old gringo's first reaction to Harriet Winslow when he sees her in a crowd?
10. Who is General Fierro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
Essay Topic 2
The three main characters in the novel, the old gringo, Harriet, and Arroyo, each have strained relationships with their fathers. Briefly describe the relationship each character had with their father, and then explain how those relationships affected each character into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)