|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel claim gringos come to the land of the Aztecs to do?
2. What was Tomás Arroyo's name anglicized to?
3. What branch of the armed forces did Harriet move to be closer to?
4. How does the general respond to his ruined peso coin?
5. How old is Mr. Delaney?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Mexican people so enamored with the old gringo?
2. What is the nature of the conversation which transpires between the old gringo and the man who is selling him his horse?
3. In what way does the reader get insight into Harriet Winslow's memories?
4. What proclamation does Inocencio Mansalvo make at the border of Mexico and America?
5. What choice in battle does the old gringo have when he and General Arroyo reach the clearing?
6. How does General Arroyo die?
7. How does the old gringo find out General Arroyo's secret?
8. What reaction does Harriet have to seeing that the jewels she has set out have vanished?
9. What happens after General Arroyo sets fire to the hacienda?
10. What memories does Arroyo have when he is forcing Harriet to dance with him in the ballroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 2
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo comes to view many of the characters in the novel as his children as he feels a very paternal bond with them. Choose two characters that the old gringo has this bond with and explain the nature of the relationships. Then, compare and contrast the relationship the old gringo has with these characters to the relationship he has with his real children in California.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)