|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
2. In what interesting room of an old building do Harriet and the old gringo talk?
3. Where had Harriet been living before moving to Washington D.C.?
4. What animal do some of the soldiers compare the old gringo to?
5. What is Harriet's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. As an old woman, what is Harriet's life like?
2. What surprises the old gringo when he reaches El Paso, Texas?
3. How does the old gringo win over the general with his Colt .44?
4. What happens after General Arroyo sets fire to the hacienda?
5. What happens when the letter from the Miranda family arrives to Harriet's home?
6. Who is Tomás Arroyo?
7. What does Harriet recall about the weather in Mexico during her time there?
8. What childhood memory does Arroyo have of don Graciano?
9. Who is Mr. Delaney?
10. Why does the Colonel push his crew to hurry up with the old gringo's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of newspaper reporters has a lot of power in this novel. Explain the role that the written word had first in the old gringo's life during the Civil War, and compare and contrast this impact to the role newspaper journalists had in Harriet's life upon returning home to Mexico.
Essay Topic 2
The three main characters in the novel, the old gringo, Harriet, and Arroyo, each have strained relationships with their fathers. Briefly describe the relationship each character had with their father, and then explain how those relationships affected each character into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
It becomes clear quite early in the text that the old gringo is running away from his past as he flees to Mexico. Explain the history of events that have happened in the old gringo's life, and how these events inevitably led him to Mexico.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)