|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who organizes the cleanup of the hacienda fire?
2. How did La Luna get her name?
3. With what weapon does General Arroyo threaten Harriet when he hears about her reaction to the fire?
4. Who does General Arroyo think should be put in the position of protecting Harriet?
5. Which of the following is NOT something that the old gringo carries around in his suitcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the conversation which transpires between the old gringo and the man who is selling him his horse?
2. What is the reaction amongst the Mexican people after the old gringo's death?
3. How does General Arroyo die?
4. What reaction does La Luna have to hearing of Arroyo's infidelity?
5. What happens when the old gringo fights back against the enemy soldiers that attack him and General Arroyo as they are heading to Zacatecas?
6. What memories does Arroyo have when he is forcing Harriet to dance with him in the ballroom?
7. How do the guerrilla soldiers react when they first see the old gringo cross the border into their territory?
8. What does the old gringo carry with him when he travels?
9. Who is General Fierro?
10. In what way does the reader get insight into Harriet Winslow's memories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
General Arroyo has spent his entire life looking up to Pancho Villa. Explain why Arroyo idolized Pancho Villa as he did, and then describe what happens when the two generals finally meet on Mexican soil. Is it the encounter Arroyo had hoped for? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)