|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does General Arroyo store in the wooden box in his train car?
2. What type of food is served to the old gringo on the night he arrives at the guerrilla camp?
3. With what weapon does General Arroyo threaten Harriet when he hears about her reaction to the fire?
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason the old gringo thinks he looks like an apparition?
5. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the old gringo carry with him when he travels?
2. What does the Colonel tell his crew about the frontiers in the world?
3. What vanities does the old gringo have, and how do the other soldiers respond to them?
4. What does Harriet decide to do with the old gringo's body, and how does she reach this decision?
5. How does Arroyo's father actually die?
6. How has Harriet come to be alone in Mexico?
7. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
8. How did La Luna succeed in saving the life of Arroyo during the early stages of the revolution?
9. What choice in battle does the old gringo have when he and General Arroyo reach the clearing?
10. What happens after General Arroyo sets fire to the hacienda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
Essay Topic 2
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The role of newspaper reporters has a lot of power in this novel. Explain the role that the written word had first in the old gringo's life during the Civil War, and compare and contrast this impact to the role newspaper journalists had in Harriet's life upon returning home to Mexico.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)