|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old gringo believe is the fate of every revolutionary?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the decor in General Arroyo's home?
3. Where is the old gringo buried?
4. What does Mr. Delaney do for a living?
5. What animal do some of the soldiers compare the old gringo to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
2. Why were the Mexican people so enamored with the old gringo?
3. What does Harriet remember about the boy who helped her cross the border into America?
4. What vanities does the old gringo have, and how do the other soldiers respond to them?
5. What proclamation does Inocencio Mansalvo make at the border of Mexico and America?
6. What do the guerrilla soldiers use their captured train for?
7. What reoccurring dream does Arroyo have as an adult?
8. How does Harriet feel upon returning home from Mexico?
9. How did La Luna succeed in saving the life of Arroyo during the early stages of the revolution?
10. Who is Mr. Delaney?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
Essay Topic 2
The three main characters in the novel, the old gringo, Harriet, and Arroyo, each have strained relationships with their fathers. Briefly describe the relationship each character had with their father, and then explain how those relationships affected each character into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)