|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are all the clothes that the old gringo wears to travel?
2. Which of the following descriptions best describes La Garduña?
3. Which of the following adjectives does Harriet use in reference to the general during their argument?
4. How did La Luna get her name?
5. Where is the old gringo buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice in battle does the old gringo have when he and General Arroyo reach the clearing?
2. What reaction does Harriet have to seeing that the jewels she has set out have vanished?
3. Who is Mr. Delaney?
4. How did La Luna succeed in saving the life of Arroyo during the early stages of the revolution?
5. What does Harriet decide to do with the old gringo's body, and how does she reach this decision?
6. How does the old gringo feel about deceit?
7. What surprises the old gringo when he reaches El Paso, Texas?
8. What is the old gringo's first reaction to Harriet Winslow when he sees her in a crowd?
9. How is Pancho Villa received by the American Press?
10. How did it come to be that Harriet was left without a dowry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo is commonly compared to a ghost or an apparition in the novel. Give a detailed description of what the old gringo looks like, and explain how his looks are commonly misconstrued as being ghostly. Finally, choose one example from the text that highlights whether this ghostly appearance proves to be a benefit or a hindrance in the old man's life.
Essay Topic 3
Marksmanship among the male characters in the novel is thought to be the highest skill of strength. Choose two scenes in which marksmanship of characters is evaluated, and explain why this skill would be so heavily sought in the Mexican Revolution.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)