|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Harriet been living before moving to Washington D.C.?
2. What does Harriet remember the young Mexican boy who accompanied her to the Mexican border carrying?
3. What does the old gringo think about after he witnesses the explosion?
4. In what war did the old gringo fight?
5. What newspaper did the old gringo once write for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the guerrilla soldiers react to seeing the mirrors in the ballroom?
2. Where does Colonel Frutos García find the old gringo?
3. How does Harriet feel upon returning home from Mexico?
4. How did La Luna's husband feel about servants?
5. How does Harriet intend to teach the servants about temptation?
6. What does Harriet remember about the boy who helped her cross the border into America?
7. What happens when the old gringo fights back against the enemy soldiers that attack him and General Arroyo as they are heading to Zacatecas?
8. What happens when the old gringo meets an old couple living in a tiny hut on the border of Mexico?
9. What does Harriet decide to do with the old gringo's body, and how does she reach this decision?
10. How does the old gringo win over the general with his Colt .44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
General Arroyo has spent his entire life looking up to Pancho Villa. Explain why Arroyo idolized Pancho Villa as he did, and then describe what happens when the two generals finally meet on Mexican soil. Is it the encounter Arroyo had hoped for? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
Essay Topic 3
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)