|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the old gringo when he reaches Mexico?
2. What does the general tell the old gringo to tend to when he says that he wants to fight?
3. What skill did the old gringo have that impressed Pedro?
4. What color are all the clothes that the old gringo wears to travel?
5. What is the name of the Colonel who oversees the soldiers at the old gringo's graveside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does General Arroyo hate the hacienda with such passion?
2. What happens when the old gringo fights back against the enemy soldiers that attack him and General Arroyo as they are heading to Zacatecas?
3. What happens when the letter from the Miranda family arrives to Harriet's home?
4. What childhood memory does Arroyo have of don Graciano?
5. How does the old gringo feel about deceit?
6. Who is Tomás Arroyo?
7. What does Harriet remember about the boy who helped her cross the border into America?
8. What two elements does Arroyo see has held him in a prison throughout his life.
9. Where does Colonel Frutos García find the old gringo?
10. What does Harriet recall about the weather in Mexico during her time there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
Essay Topic 2
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)