|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person does the old gringo compare General Arroyo to?
2. Which of the following does NOT surprise the old gringo when he arrives in Mexico?
3. What is the name of the family that hired Harriet?
4. What does the Colonel claim gringos come to the land of the Aztecs to do?
5. What is Harriet's nationality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet recall about the weather in Mexico during her time there?
2. Who is Tomás Arroyo?
3. What happens after General Arroyo sets fire to the hacienda?
4. Why does General Arroyo hate the hacienda with such passion?
5. As an old woman, what is Harriet's life like?
6. How has Harriet come to be alone in Mexico?
7. In what way does the reader get insight into Harriet Winslow's memories?
8. What is the nature of the conversation which transpires between the old gringo and the man who is selling him his horse?
9. What do the guerrilla soldiers use their captured train for?
10. How does the old gringo feel about deceit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
Essay Topic 2
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
Essay Topic 3
General Arroyo had a very rough childhood leading up to his days in the revolution. Write out a time line of events that pushed Arroyo toward his position as a revolutionary. Then, explain how Arroyo's childhood problems came back to haunt him while he was living his military life.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)