|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the army of guerrilla soldiers travel through Mexico?
2. Which meal do the old man and woman in the tiny hut invite the old gringo to eat with them?
3. How old is Harriet when she arrives in Mexico?
4. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
5. What skill did the old gringo have that impressed Pedro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What childhood memory does Arroyo have of don Graciano?
2. What proclamation does Inocencio Mansalvo make at the border of Mexico and America?
3. Who is General Fierro?
4. What surprises the old gringo when he reaches El Paso, Texas?
5. How do the guerrilla soldiers react to seeing the mirrors in the ballroom?
6. Why did Harriet and her mother move from New York to Washington D.C.?
7. How did La Luna succeed in saving the life of Arroyo during the early stages of the revolution?
8. What memories does Harriet have when she is forced to dance with Arroyo in the ballroom?
9. How does Harriet feel upon returning home from Mexico?
10. How does the general respond to the coin the old gringo has just shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harriet had many male suitors in her lifetime yet found she was unable to settle down. Choose two suitors that courted Harriet, describe them, and compare and contrast their methods of wooing this woman. Finally, explain why Harriet ends up alone and lonely by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
This section contains 1,725 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)