Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did the old gringo wander about the desert before finding the guerrillas?
2. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
3. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
4. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
5. After Harriet's confrontation with General Arroyo, what beverage does she drink with the old gringo inside the Pullman car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the letter from the Miranda family arrives to Harriet's home?
2. How does the old gringo feel about Harriet Winslow's dreams?
3. What happens in the few moments leading up to the old gringo's death?
4. Why is the old gringo worried about his interactions with Harriet when he first meets her?
5. How did it come to be that Harriet was left without a dowry?
6. What vanities does the old gringo have, and how do the other soldiers respond to them?
7. How does Arroyo's father actually die?
8. As an old woman, what is Harriet's life like?
9. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
10. Who is Mr. Delaney?
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 2
Marksmanship among the male characters in the novel is thought to be the highest skill of strength. Choose two scenes in which marksmanship of characters is evaluated, and explain why this skill would be so heavily sought in the Mexican Revolution.
Essay Topic 3
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)