|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harriet's father go to fight, and never returned from?
2. In what type of Mexican climate did Harriet live?
3. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
4. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
5. Which of the following adjectives does Harriet use in reference to the general during their argument?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the guerrilla soldiers react to seeing the mirrors in the ballroom?
2. What happens after General Arroyo sets fire to the hacienda?
3. How did La Luna succeed in saving the life of Arroyo during the early stages of the revolution?
4. What two elements does Arroyo see has held him in a prison throughout his life.
5. Who is Tomás Arroyo?
6. How does the old gringo feel about Harriet Winslow's dreams?
7. What reaction does Harriet have to seeing that the jewels she has set out have vanished?
8. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
9. How does the old gringo win over the general with his Colt .44?
10. How has Harriet come to be alone in Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon arriving in Mexico, Harriet sets out on a mission to "civilize" the Mexican people. Explain what methods Harriet adopts in her quest for civilization, and then explain what the outcome of her mission is. What does Harriet learn about the Mexican people in the process?
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
Essay Topic 3
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)