|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city of Texas does the old gringo stop before he travels to Mexico?
2. How does the old gringo say goodbye to Harriet before leaving for Zacatecas?
3. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
4. What skill did the old gringo have that impressed Pedro?
5. How does the army of guerrilla soldiers travel through Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice in battle does the old gringo have when he and General Arroyo reach the clearing?
2. What vanities does the old gringo have, and how do the other soldiers respond to them?
3. How is Pancho Villa received by the American Press?
4. How did La Luna succeed in saving the life of Arroyo during the early stages of the revolution?
5. What surprises the old gringo when he reaches El Paso, Texas?
6. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
7. What reaction does La Luna have to hearing of Arroyo's infidelity?
8. Why is the old gringo worried about his interactions with Harriet when he first meets her?
9. What two elements does Arroyo see has held him in a prison throughout his life.
10. Why were the Mexican people so enamored with the old gringo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo is commonly compared to a ghost or an apparition in the novel. Give a detailed description of what the old gringo looks like, and explain how his looks are commonly misconstrued as being ghostly. Finally, choose one example from the text that highlights whether this ghostly appearance proves to be a benefit or a hindrance in the old man's life.
Essay Topic 2
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)