|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT travel through Mexico by use of the guerrilla train?
2. What part of battle does the old gringo think will be the most exciting and noble?
3. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
4. Whom does Harriet live with in Washington D.C.?
5. What does Harriet claim dried up in the heat of Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the old gringo win over the general with his Colt .44?
2. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
3. How has Harriet come to be alone in Mexico?
4. What reaction does La Luna have to hearing of Arroyo's infidelity?
5. Why does the Colonel push his crew to hurry up with the old gringo's body?
6. What proclamation does Inocencio Mansalvo make at the border of Mexico and America?
7. How do the guerrilla soldiers react when they first see the old gringo cross the border into their territory?
8. What happens when the letter from the Miranda family arrives to Harriet's home?
9. What two elements does Arroyo see has held him in a prison throughout his life.
10. Why were the Mexican people so enamored with the old gringo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harriet had many male suitors in her lifetime yet found she was unable to settle down. Choose two suitors that courted Harriet, describe them, and compare and contrast their methods of wooing this woman. Finally, explain why Harriet ends up alone and lonely by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
Essay Topic 3
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)