|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
2. What does Harriet suspect of Mr. Delaney.
3. What does General Arroyo store in the wooden box in his train car?
4. When Harriet dreams of Tomás, what thought takes over her mind?
5. Which of the following statements is true about General Arroyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the old gringo find out General Arroyo's secret?
2. How did it come to be that Harriet was left without a dowry?
3. What choice in battle does the old gringo have when he and General Arroyo reach the clearing?
4. What do the guerrilla soldiers use their captured train for?
5. What memories does Harriet have when she is forced to dance with Arroyo in the ballroom?
6. How does the old gringo feel about Harriet Winslow's dreams?
7. Why does La Garduña frantically wake Harriet from her siesta?
8. As an old woman, what is Harriet's life like?
9. How did La Luna succeed in saving the life of Arroyo during the early stages of the revolution?
10. What reoccurring dream does Arroyo have as an adult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 2
The old gringo has many names in the course of the novel: the old gringo, the American, and Ambrose Bierce. Explain how the old gringo gained each of these three names, and explain what each of the names means to him as a character.
Essay Topic 3
General Arroyo has spent his entire life looking up to Pancho Villa. Explain why Arroyo idolized Pancho Villa as he did, and then describe what happens when the two generals finally meet on Mexican soil. Is it the encounter Arroyo had hoped for? Why or why not?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)