|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old gringo believe is the fate of every revolutionary?
2. What is Harriet's nationality?
3. What is the name of the family that hired Harriet?
4. What does the old gringo fear will happen to Harriet while in Mexico?
5. How old is the old gringo when he reaches Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does La Garduña frantically wake Harriet from her siesta?
2. Who is General Fierro?
3. What is the reaction amongst the Mexican people after the old gringo's death?
4. What does Harriet decide to do with the old gringo's body, and how does she reach this decision?
5. What information is contained in the old papers General Arroyo stores in his train car?
6. How does the old gringo find out General Arroyo's secret?
7. What surprises the old gringo when he reaches El Paso, Texas?
8. What is the nature of the conversation which transpires between the old gringo and the man who is selling him his horse?
9. What does Harriet remember about the boy who helped her cross the border into America?
10. What vanities does the old gringo have, and how do the other soldiers respond to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The old gringo sets out to Mexico with the hopes of dying there. Explain why the old gringo is drawn to such a drastic conclusion, and what brings him to Mexico. Finally, explain why you think the old gringo does, or does not, achieve the goal he is after.
Essay Topic 2La Luna and La GarduÃ±a each play significant roles in the life of General Arroyo. Give a brief description of each woman, and explain their histories with General Arroyo. Then, explain how his relationship with each of these women affected General Arroyo in his military negotiations.
Essay Topic 3The ballroom of the hacienda is a room of very special significance to the novel. Describe the ballroom and then choose two poignant moments in the text that happen in this room. Why is this room the only one Arroyo chooses not to destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)