|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old gringo admire most in Harriet's character?
2. Whom does the old gringo hope to meet as he is traveling to Zacatecas?
3. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
4. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
5. What does Harriet suspect of Mr. Delaney.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the letter from the Miranda family arrives to Harriet's home?
2. How does Harriet intend to teach the servants about temptation?
3. Why does La Garduña frantically wake Harriet from her siesta?
4. What do the guerrilla soldiers use their captured train for?
5. How does Harriet figure out who the old gringo truly is?
6. What reaction does La Luna have to hearing of Arroyo's infidelity?
7. How does the old gringo find out General Arroyo's secret?
8. What surprises the old gringo when he reaches El Paso, Texas?
9. What effect did Pancho Villa have on La Luna's life?
10. What information is contained in the old papers General Arroyo stores in his train car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harriet's mother is a depressed and depressing old woman in the beginning of the novel. Describe Harriet's mother and explain how she helped push Harriet away from America to the wilds of Mexico. Then, explain whether or not Harriet escaped her mother's fate and cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
La Luna is a woman of unarguable strength in the novel. Explain the history La Luna has with the Mexican Revolution, and then explain the evolution of her relationship with General Arroyo.
Essay Topic 3
The old gringo is commonly compared to a ghost or an apparition in the novel. Give a detailed description of what the old gringo looks like, and explain how his looks are commonly misconstrued as being ghostly. Finally, choose one example from the text that highlights whether this ghostly appearance proves to be a benefit or a hindrance in the old man's life.
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)