|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old gringo think is the path that all young men must take?
2. Which of the following is NOT a reason the old gringo thinks he looks like an apparition?
3. What adjective does the old gringo use to describe his journalism work to Harriet?
4. How many days did the old gringo wander about the desert before finding the guerrillas?
5. How does the general respond to his ruined peso coin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the guerrilla soldiers use their captured train for?
2. How does Arroyo's father actually die?
3. What happened to each of the old gringo's children?
4. How does Harriet feel upon returning home from Mexico?
5. What is the reaction amongst the Mexican people after the old gringo's death?
6. What reaction does La Luna have to hearing of Arroyo's infidelity?
7. What is the nature of the conversation which transpires between the old gringo and the man who is selling him his horse?
8. What two elements does Arroyo see has held him in a prison throughout his life.
9. How does the old gringo feel about deceit?
10. What childhood memory does Arroyo have of don Graciano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
General Arroyo had a very rough childhood leading up to his days in the revolution. Write out a time line of events that pushed Arroyo toward his position as a revolutionary. Then, explain how Arroyo's childhood problems came back to haunt him while he was living his military life.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Harriet has two men that she views as a father figure. Compare and contrast the role that each of these men played in Harriet's life, and explain why she has the conflicted emotions that she does about who she should consider her "father".
Essay Topic 3
General Arroyo has a real hatred for the American and European forces that are invading Mexico, and yet he finds himself in close relationships with two Americans. Explain why Arroyo has such hatred for the American forces in Mexico, and why he chooses to make two special exceptions to his rule when it comes to the old gringo and Harriet.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)