|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are all the clothes that the old gringo wears to travel?
2. Which of the following statements is true about General Arroyo?
(a) He is dyslexic.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He is illiterate.
(d) He is blind.
3. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
(a) They were lovers.
(b) They were neighbors.
(c) They were acquaintances.
(d) They were coworkers.
4. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
(a) To search for bones buried under the buildings.
(b) To earn the insurance money.
(c) To embarrass the owners.
(d) To teach the guerrillas a lesson.
5. In what interesting room of an old building do Harriet and the old gringo talk?
(a) In the ballroom.
(b) In the parlor.
(c) In the conservatory.
(d) In the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
2. In what city of Texas does the old gringo stop before he travels to Mexico?
3. In what war did the old gringo fight?
4. What branch of the armed forces did Harriet move to be closer to?
5. Who does General Arroyo think should be put in the position of protecting Harriet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What childhood memory does Arroyo have of don Graciano?
2. What vanities does the old gringo have, and how do the other soldiers respond to them?
3. Why does La Garduña frantically wake Harriet from her siesta?
4. How do the guerrilla soldiers react when they first see the old gringo cross the border into their territory?
5. What happens when the old gringo meets an old couple living in a tiny hut on the border of Mexico?
6. Why did Harriet and her mother move from New York to Washington D.C.?
7. How has Harriet come to be alone in Mexico?
8. How does General Arroyo die?
9. What reoccurring dream does Arroyo have as an adult?
10. As an old woman, what is Harriet's life like?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)