|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old gringo believe is the fate of every revolutionary?
(a) To become a tyrant.
(b) To be feared by the public.
(c) To die young.
(d) To be remembered fondly.
2. Where did Harriet's father go to fight, and never returned from?
3. What skill did the old gringo have that impressed Pedro?
(d) Finding edible plants.
4. Where is the old gringo buried?
(a) In a riverbank.
(b) In a field of flowers.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In the desert.
5. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
(a) Once or twice.
(c) More than ten times.
(d) Four or five times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the traveling group taking the body of the old gringo?
2. What does Harriet claim dried up in the heat of Mexico?
3. From whom were the land grants to the Mexican people?
4. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
5. In what city of Mexico did the old gringo die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises the old gringo when he reaches El Paso, Texas?
2. What happens after General Arroyo sets fire to the hacienda?
3. How does the general respond to the coin the old gringo has just shot?
4. How does Harriet figure out who the old gringo truly is?
5. What do the guerrilla soldiers use their captured train for?
6. In what way does the reader get insight into Harriet Winslow's memories?
7. What choice in battle does the old gringo have when he and General Arroyo reach the clearing?
8. How do the guerrilla soldiers react when they first see the old gringo cross the border into their territory?
9. Why did Harriet and her mother move from New York to Washington D.C.?
10. What does Harriet decide to do with the old gringo's body, and how does she reach this decision?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)