|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the general respond to his ruined peso coin?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is disgusted.
(c) He is impressed.
(d) He is furious.
2. How does the army of guerrilla soldiers travel through Mexico?
(a) By train.
(b) By boat.
(c) By horseback.
(d) On foot.
3. What does Inocencio Mansalvo think the old gringo has come into the desert to do?
4. After Harriet's confrontation with General Arroyo, what beverage does she drink with the old gringo inside the Pullman car?
5. What is the other name the Mexican characters in the novel give to the old gringo?
(a) Old man.
(b) Old Tom.
(c) Old Señor.
(d) Old geezer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the traveling party admit was one of the old gringo's biggest flaws?
2. How does General Arroyo feel about the hacienda?
3. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
4. What does the old gringo think about after he witnesses the explosion?
5. How does the old gringo say goodbye to Harriet before leaving for Zacatecas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts do Harriet and the old gringo have when they think they hear gunshots during the fiesta?
2. What happens when the old gringo meets an old couple living in a tiny hut on the border of Mexico?
3. Why were the Mexican people so enamored with the old gringo?
4. In what way does the reader get insight into Harriet Winslow's memories?
5. What does the Colonel tell his crew about the frontiers in the world?
6. How does Arroyo's father actually die?
7. What happens after General Arroyo sets fire to the hacienda?
8. Who is Tomás Arroyo?
9. Who is General Fierro?
10. What reoccurring dream does Arroyo have as an adult?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)