|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Harriet when she arrives in Mexico?
(a) In her twenties.
(b) In her thirties.
(c) In her teens.
(d) In her forties.
2. What type of accent does Harriet have?
(b) East coast.
(d) New England.
3. How old is Mr. Delaney?
(a) In his twenties.
(b) In his thirties.
(c) In his fifties.
(d) In his forties.
4. What is Harriet's last name?
5. Whom does Harriet live with in Washington D.C.?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
2. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
3. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
4. How does the old gringo travel from Texas to Mexico?
5. How old is the old gringo when he reaches Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does General Arroyo hate the hacienda with such passion?
2. What surprises the old gringo when he reaches El Paso, Texas?
3. What childhood memory does Arroyo have of don Graciano?
4. What effect did Pancho Villa have on La Luna's life?
5. What does Harriet recall about the weather in Mexico during her time there?
6. What is the nature of the conversation which transpires between the old gringo and the man who is selling him his horse?
7. What happens in the few moments leading up to the old gringo's death?
8. What happened to each of the old gringo's children?
9. As an old woman, what is Harriet's life like?
10. What does Harriet remember about the boy who helped her cross the border into America?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)