|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who organizes the cleanup of the hacienda fire?
(a) General Arroyo.
(c) The old gringo.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
2. Which of the following is NOT a reason the old gringo thinks he looks like an apparition?
(a) His white horse.
(b) His white hair.
(c) His blue eyes.
(d) His wrinkled skin.
3. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
(a) They were lovers.
(b) They were coworkers.
(c) They were neighbors.
(d) They were acquaintances.
4. Where does Harriet begin to teach the guerrilla children?
(a) Down by the river.
(b) In a field.
(c) In the stage car.
(d) In the ballroom.
5. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
(a) To teach the guerrillas a lesson.
(b) To embarrass the owners.
(c) To search for bones buried under the buildings.
(d) To earn the insurance money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which meal do the old man and woman in the tiny hut invite the old gringo to eat with them?
2. What branch of the armed forces did Harriet move to be closer to?
3. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
4. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
5. In what city of Texas does the old gringo stop before he travels to Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to each of the old gringo's children?
2. Who is Tomás Arroyo?
3. Why did Harriet and her mother move from New York to Washington D.C.?
4. What is the reaction amongst the Mexican people after the old gringo's death?
5. Why were the Mexican people so enamored with the old gringo?
6. How do the guerrilla soldiers react when they first see the old gringo cross the border into their territory?
7. How does Harriet figure out who the old gringo truly is?
8. What happens when the letter from the Miranda family arrives to Harriet's home?
9. What does the Colonel tell his crew about the frontiers in the world?
10. How does General Arroyo die?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)