Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days did the old gringo wander about the desert before finding the guerrillas?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five days.
2. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
(a) Manuel GonzÃ¡lez.
(b) Francisco I. Madero.
(c) Juan N. MÃ©ndez.
(d) Porfirio Diaz.
3. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
(a) General Arroyo.
(b) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) The Colonel.
4. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
(a) Four or five times.
(c) More than ten times.
(d) Once or twice.
5. After Harriet's confrontation with General Arroyo, what beverage does she drink with the old gringo inside the Pullman car?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is true about General Arroyo?
2. What does the old gringo think is the path that all young men must take?
3. How old is Mr. Delaney?
4. In what city of Texas does the old gringo stop before he travels to Mexico?
5. In what interesting room of an old building do Harriet and the old gringo talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the letter from the Miranda family arrives to Harriet's home?
2. How does the old gringo feel about Harriet Winslow's dreams?
3. What happens in the few moments leading up to the old gringo's death?
4. Why is the old gringo worried about his interactions with Harriet when he first meets her?
5. How did it come to be that Harriet was left without a dowry?
6. What vanities does the old gringo have, and how do the other soldiers respond to them?
7. How does Arroyo's father actually die?
8. As an old woman, what is Harriet's life like?
9. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
10. Who is Mr. Delaney?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)