|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature is present in the bottom of every mescal bottle?
(a) A worm.
(b) A beetle.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A cricket.
2. How old is Pedro when he first meets the old gringo?
3. Which meal do the old man and woman in the tiny hut invite the old gringo to eat with them?
4. Who does General Arroyo think should be put in the position of protecting Harriet?
(b) No one, he believes Harriet should be turned away.
(c) The old gringo.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
5. What does the general throw into the air for the old gringo to shoot?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A stone.
(c) A coin.
(d) A bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following states was NOT at least partially owned by the family that originally owned the train car General Arroyo is sleeping in?
2. How old is Mr. Delaney?
3. What was the name of the young boy who accompanied Harriet to the Mexican border?
4. Which of the following does NOT surprise the old gringo when he arrives in Mexico?
5. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the conversation which transpires between the old gringo and the man who is selling him his horse?
2. How does the old gringo find out General Arroyo's secret?
3. What memories does Harriet have when she is forced to dance with Arroyo in the ballroom?
4. How did it come to be that Harriet was left without a dowry?
5. Where does Colonel Frutos García find the old gringo?
6. What happens when the old gringo fights back against the enemy soldiers that attack him and General Arroyo as they are heading to Zacatecas?
7. How do the guerrilla soldiers react to seeing the mirrors in the ballroom?
8. What does Harriet remember about the boy who helped her cross the border into America?
9. What do the Mexican soldiers joke about with the old gringo when he is allowed to dine with them?
10. What childhood memory does Arroyo have of don Graciano?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)