|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the old gringo buried?
(a) In a riverbank.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) In a field of flowers.
(d) In the desert.
2. Which of the following is NOT something that the old gringo carries around in his suitcase?
(a) A copy of the book "Don Quixote".
(b) A gun.
(c) A copy of the book that he wrote himself.
(d) A bottle of bourbon.
3. What type of person does the old gringo compare General Arroyo to?
(a) A sycophant.
(b) A buffoon.
(c) A dictator.
(d) A revolutionary.
4. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
(a) They were lovers.
(b) They were neighbors.
(c) They were acquaintances.
(d) They were coworkers.
5. In what city of Texas does the old gringo stop before he travels to Mexico?
(b) El Paso.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the horse that the old gringo purchases?
2. What animal do some of the soldiers compare the old gringo to?
3. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
4. What does the old gringo fear will happen to Harriet while in Mexico?
5. In what city of Mexico did the old gringo die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet recall about the weather in Mexico during her time there?
2. What does the Colonel tell his crew about the frontiers in the world?
3. What happened to each of the old gringo's children?
4. As an old woman, what is Harriet's life like?
5. What information is contained in the old papers General Arroyo stores in his train car?
6. Who is Tomás Arroyo?
7. How do the guerrilla soldiers react to seeing the mirrors in the ballroom?
8. How has Harriet come to be alone in Mexico?
9. Who is Mr. Delaney?
10. What do the guerrilla soldiers use their captured train for?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)