|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what weapon does General Arroyo threaten Harriet when he hears about her reaction to the fire?
(a) A sword.
(b) A slingshot.
(c) A whip.
(d) A gun.
2. Where had Harriet been living before moving to Washington D.C.?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
3. What does the general tell the old gringo to tend to when he says that he wants to fight?
(a) His family.
(b) His garden.
(c) His health.
(d) His life.
4. What does the general throw into the air for the old gringo to shoot?
(a) A bird.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A stone.
(d) A coin.
5. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
(a) Juan N. Méndez.
(b) Francisco I. Madero.
(c) Manuel González.
(d) Porfirio Diaz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harriet complete school?
2. What does the traveling party admit was one of the old gringo's biggest flaws?
3. What animal do some of the soldiers compare the old gringo to?
4. When Harriet dreams of Tomás, what thought takes over her mind?
5. What does the old gringo think will be atonement for his writing career?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harriet feel upon returning home from Mexico?
2. How did La Luna's husband feel about servants?
3. How does General Arroyo die?
4. What reoccurring dream does Arroyo have as an adult?
5. What reaction does Harriet have to seeing that the jewels she has set out have vanished?
6. What happens when the old gringo fights back against the enemy soldiers that attack him and General Arroyo as they are heading to Zacatecas?
7. How is Pancho Villa received by the American Press?
8. What does the Colonel tell his crew about the frontiers in the world?
9. Who is Tomás Arroyo?
10. What two elements does Arroyo see has held him in a prison throughout his life.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)