|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one room that Arroyo does NOT destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
(a) The stables.
(b) The servants' quarters.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The ballroom.
2. How does the old gringo feel when he thinks back on his time in the Civil War?
(a) He wishes the fight could have lasted longer.
(b) He doesn't remember anything about the war.
(c) He feels pangs of love.
(d) He rejoices.
3. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
4. Which of the following items does NOT adorn the statue of Jesus hanging on the cross during the Mexican fiesta?
(a) Silver coins.
(b) A red velvet robe.
(c) A gold brooch.
(d) Gold chains.
5. In the dream Arroyo has in which his mother is legally married to his father, what becomes of his father's other wife?
(a) She is a beggar.
(b) She is a tailor.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is a spinster.
6. Who had been spreading the rumors about an American soldier fighting alongside the Mexican revolutionaries?
(a) General Arroyo.
(b) Pancho Villa.
7. Who accompanies Harriet to the chapel where she must pick up the old gringo's body?
(a) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(b) La Luna.
(d) La Garduña.
8. In what religion was La Luna raised?
(a) La Luz del Mundo.
(c) Later Day Saints.
9. Which of the following is NOT an adjective that Arroyo uses to describe his mother?
10. Whom will the Old Gringo be buried next to?
(a) The old gringo's wife.
(b) Harriet's father.
(c) The old gringo's daughter.
(d) Harriet's mother.
11. After the old gringo returns from battle and goes to greet Harriet, what has she just finished doing?
12. What reason does Colonel García give Pedro for the women waiting in line outside the village?
(a) They are refugees hoping for asylum.
(b) They are in love with the returning men.
(c) They are hoping for food handouts.
(d) They are delirious with thirst.
13. How long does Arroyo wait in La Luna's house without food?
(a) A few hours.
(b) A few months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few days.
14. Why did La Luna's husband lose interest in her?
(a) Because she was illiterate.
(b) Because she was boring.
(c) Because she was barren.
(d) Because she was unfaithful.
15. When Harriet returns to what she left in the hallway, how much has been stolen?
(a) Some of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) None of it.
(d) Over half of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does La Luna say women are that men are not?
2. What does Harriet think is living inside the bodies of all living people?
3. In what room of La Luna's home did General Arroyo hide during the early days of the revolution?
4. How does the old gringo feel about Harriet's relationship with Arroyo?
5. How did Arroyo plan to shame his father?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)