|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did La Luna's husband lose interest in her?
(a) Because she was illiterate.
(b) Because she was boring.
(c) Because she was unfaithful.
(d) Because she was barren.
2. What does Harriet think is living inside the bodies of all living people?
3. Pancho Villa jokes with reporters about relocating north to where?
(a) To California.
(b) To Arizona.
(c) To Nevada.
(d) To Texas.
4. Which character's real name is Ambrose Bierce?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) The old gringo.
(c) Raul Walsh.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
5. Which of the following is NOT an adjective that Arroyo uses to describe his mother?
6. What does Harriet share with the old gringo, which makes her cling to him in Mexico?
(a) A fear of the Mexicans.
(b) A love for literature.
(c) The desire to travel.
(d) American roots.
7. What is the one room that Arroyo does NOT destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The stables.
(c) The servants' quarters.
(d) The ballroom.
8. What does the old gringo think is the one factor that permeates all relationships?
9. Whom will the Old Gringo be buried next to?
(a) Harriet's mother.
(b) Harriet's father.
(c) The old gringo's daughter.
(d) The old gringo's wife.
10. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
11. What does don Graciano allow young Arroyo to hold while he is working in the hacienda?
(a) A copy of Don Quixote.
(b) A crucifix.
(c) A set of keys.
(d) A bundle of clean rags.
12. Who had been spreading the rumors about an American soldier fighting alongside the Mexican revolutionaries?
(c) Pancho Villa.
(d) General Arroyo.
13. What does La Luna use to muffle the sound of her voice when she is gossiping with Harriet?
(a) A faucet of running water.
(b) A record player.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A violin.
14. How long does Arroyo wait in La Luna's house without food?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few hours.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few months.
15. How did Arroyo plan to shame his father?
(a) By refusing to help his father when he was in need.
(b) By not looking at him when he died.
(c) By denying that he was his father's son.
(d) By stealing all of his father's belongings.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Harriet is forced to dance with Arroyo in the ballroom, where does she imagine that she is?
2. In what Mexican city does Pancho Villa arrive to interact with the American Press?
3. When Harriet is dancing with Arroyo, whom does she imagine she is dancing with?
4. How does the old gringo feel when he thinks back on his time in the Civil War?
5. Why does Harriet have the servants set to sweeping up the ashes in the hacienda?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)