|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who holds Harriet back when she tries to chase Arroyo away from killing the old gringo?
(a) La Luna.
(b) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) La Garduña.
2. Who had been spreading the rumors about an American soldier fighting alongside the Mexican revolutionaries?
(a) General Arroyo.
(b) Pancho Villa.
3. What object belonging to Arroyo does the old gringo destroy moments before his death?
(a) His box of jewels.
(b) His soldier uniform.
(c) His wooden box full of papers.
(d) His rifle.
4. How do the soldiers react to Arroyo's killing of the old gringo?
(a) They rise up against him.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) They urge him to move forward with the revolution.
(d) They desert him.
5. Which woman runs up the arriving soldiers and immediately begins flirting with them?
(a) La Garduña.
(b) La Luna.
6. On what day of the week did La Luna's servants line up to be paid?
7. What does don Graciano allow young Arroyo to hold while he is working in the hacienda?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A copy of Don Quixote.
(c) A set of keys.
(d) A bundle of clean rags.
8. How does the old gringo feel when he thinks back on his time in the Civil War?
(a) He wishes the fight could have lasted longer.
(b) He doesn't remember anything about the war.
(c) He rejoices.
(d) He feels pangs of love.
9. What look does Colonel Frutos García claim is written all over the old gringo's face?
10. How old is the girl that Harriet saves by sucking phlegm out of her throat?
(a) She is an infant.
(b) She is ten.
(c) She is five.
(d) She is fifteen.
11. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
12. Whom will the Old Gringo be buried next to?
(a) The old gringo's daughter.
(b) The old gringo's wife.
(c) Harriet's mother.
(d) Harriet's father.
13. What does La Luna use to muffle the sound of her voice when she is gossiping with Harriet?
(a) A violin.
(b) A faucet of running water.
(c) A record player.
(d) A pillow.
14. Why does Harriet have the servants set to sweeping up the ashes in the hacienda?
(a) So they no longer track dirty footprints through the house.
(b) So that they no longer must eat ashes in their food.
(c) To prepare for the Mirandas' return.
(d) To clean out the dance floor for a competition.
15. Who is the first to say that if a man wants to be considered a good soldier, he must go out into battle hoping to die?
(a) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(b) The old gringo.
(c) General Arroyo.
(d) Colonel García.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Arroyo's father's dead body hung to rot?
2. What does Harriet share with the old gringo, which makes her cling to him in Mexico?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the outfit Pancho Villa is wearing when he arrives to speak with American reporters?
4. What does Harriet think Arroyo smells like?
5. What is the one room that Arroyo does NOT destroy when he burns the hacienda to the ground?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)