|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the old gringo dies, what freak weather occurs in the desert?
(a) It hails.
(b) It snows.
(c) A tornado strikes.
(d) It rains.
2. What does Harriet set out into the hallway to teach the servants about temptation?
(a) Gold plates.
(b) A box of jewels.
(c) Several pieces of gold silk.
(d) A bowl of pesos.
3. Which of the following items does NOT adorn the statue of Jesus hanging on the cross during the Mexican fiesta?
(a) Gold chains.
(b) A red velvet robe.
(c) Silver coins.
(d) A gold brooch.
4. In the dream Arroyo has in which his mother is legally married to his father, what becomes of his father's other wife?
(a) She is a beggar.
(b) She is a spinster.
(c) She is a tailor.
(d) She is a teacher.
5. Which of the following best describes La Luna's husband?
6. Which of the following is NOT an adjective that Arroyo uses to describe his mother?
7. In what room of La Luna's home did General Arroyo hide during the early days of the revolution?
(a) In her closet.
(b) In her basement.
(c) In her attic.
(d) In her bathroom.
8. Why does Harriet have the servants set to sweeping up the ashes in the hacienda?
(a) To prepare for the Mirandas' return.
(b) To clean out the dance floor for a competition.
(c) So they no longer track dirty footprints through the house.
(d) So that they no longer must eat ashes in their food.
9. Whom will the Old Gringo be buried next to?
(a) The old gringo's daughter.
(b) Harriet's mother.
(c) Harriet's father.
(d) The old gringo's wife.
10. How long does Arroyo wait in La Luna's house without food?
(a) A few hours.
(b) A few days.
(c) A few months.
(d) A few weeks.
11. Pancho Villa jokes with reporters about relocating north to where?
(a) To Texas.
(b) To Nevada.
(c) To California.
(d) To Arizona.
12. What sound do the old gringo and Harriet hear, which they think is gunshots?
(a) Horses galloping by.
(c) Blacksmith hammers.
13. On what day of the week did La Luna's servants line up to be paid?
14. How does Arroyo kill the old gringo?
(a) He beats him to death.
(b) He stabs him.
(c) He shoots him.
(d) He strangles him.
15. When Harriet is forced to dance with Arroyo in the ballroom, where does she imagine that she is?
(a) Back in Washington.
(b) In heaven.
(c) Down by the sea.
(d) Back in New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can the old gringo tell that La Luna is an educated woman?
2. Where will Arroyo's body be buried?
3. Who is the first to say that if a man wants to be considered a good soldier, he must go out into battle hoping to die?
4. Who holds Harriet back when she tries to chase Arroyo away from killing the old gringo?
5. Which of the following is the name Pancho Villa had before he became famous?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)