|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the old gringo returns from battle and goes to greet Harriet, what has she just finished doing?
2. Whom does Arroyo think Harriet smells like?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His sister.
3. When Harriet is forced to dance with Arroyo in the ballroom, where does she imagine that she is?
(a) In heaven.
(b) Down by the sea.
(c) Back in Washington.
(d) Back in New York.
4. When do the Mexican people take siesta?
(a) After lunch.
(b) Before bed.
(c) After breakfast.
(d) After dinner.
5. Which of the following is NOT an adjective that Arroyo uses to describe his mother?
6. On what type of bed did Arroyo sleep when he was a child?
(a) A bale of hay.
(b) There was no bed. Arroyo slept on the floor.
(c) A feather bed.
(d) A mat.
7. Which character's real name is Ambrose Bierce?
(a) The old gringo.
(b) Raul Walsh.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
8. What object belonging to Arroyo does the old gringo destroy moments before his death?
(a) His soldier uniform.
(b) His box of jewels.
(c) His rifle.
(d) His wooden box full of papers.
9. Why did La Luna's husband lose interest in her?
(a) Because she was unfaithful.
(b) Because she was illiterate.
(c) Because she was boring.
(d) Because she was barren.
10. Before leaving, how long did Arroyo live on the hacienda?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Thirty years.
11. What did Pancho Villa do for a living before he became a revolutionary?
(a) He was a cattle herder.
(b) He was a tailor.
(c) He was a blacksmith.
(d) He was a day laborer at the hacienda.
12. Why does Harriet have the servants set to sweeping up the ashes in the hacienda?
(a) So that they no longer must eat ashes in their food.
(b) To clean out the dance floor for a competition.
(c) So they no longer track dirty footprints through the house.
(d) To prepare for the Mirandas' return.
13. Which of the following best describes La Luna's husband?
14. Which of the following does NOT describe the outfit Pancho Villa is wearing when he arrives to speak with American reporters?
(a) Made of black buckskin.
(b) Covered in silver and gold buttons.
(c) Covered in zippers.
(d) Covered in buckles.
15. Who is the first to say that if a man wants to be considered a good soldier, he must go out into battle hoping to die?
(a) General Arroyo.
(b) Colonel García.
(c) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) The old gringo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound do the old gringo and Harriet hear, which they think is gunshots?
2. What does Harriet think the old gringo smells like?
3. Which of the following is the name Pancho Villa had before he became famous?
4. Why does General Arroyo pull his hat down and his serape up?
5. In what city does Pancho Villa promise to help the revolutionary soldiers if they get "bogged down" in their battle?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)