|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound do the old gringo and Harriet hear, which they think is gunshots?
(b) Horses galloping by.
(d) Blacksmith hammers.
2. Where is Arroyo's father's dead body hung to rot?
(a) From a tree.
(b) At the Mexico/America border.
(c) In a well.
(d) Over the city's fence.
3. Why did La Luna's husband lose interest in her?
(a) Because she was unfaithful.
(b) Because she was illiterate.
(c) Because she was boring.
(d) Because she was barren.
4. What object belonging to Arroyo does the old gringo destroy moments before his death?
(a) His soldier uniform.
(b) His box of jewels.
(c) His rifle.
(d) His wooden box full of papers.
5. Who accompanies Harriet to the chapel where she must pick up the old gringo's body?
(b) La Garduña.
(c) La Luna.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
6. What did Pancho Villa do for a living before he became a revolutionary?
(a) He was a day laborer at the hacienda.
(b) He was a blacksmith.
(c) He was a cattle herder.
(d) He was a tailor.
7. Before leaving, how long did Arroyo live on the hacienda?
(a) Forty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty years.
8. What does Harriet think Arroyo smells like?
(b) Sea side mist.
(c) A horse stable.
(d) Over-ripe fruit.
9. Which woman runs up the arriving soldiers and immediately begins flirting with them?
(b) La Luna.
(d) La Garduña.
10. Whom does Arroyo think Harriet smells like?
(a) His sister.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) His daughter.
11. What does Harriet share with the old gringo, which makes her cling to him in Mexico?
(a) A fear of the Mexicans.
(b) The desire to travel.
(c) American roots.
(d) A love for literature.
12. On what day of the week did La Luna's servants line up to be paid?
13. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
(d) Best friends.
14. In what city does Pancho Villa promise to help the revolutionary soldiers if they get "bogged down" in their battle?
15. How did Arroyo plan to shame his father?
(a) By not looking at him when he died.
(b) By stealing all of his father's belongings.
(c) By refusing to help his father when he was in need.
(d) By denying that he was his father's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an adjective that Arroyo uses to describe his mother?
2. Who had been spreading the rumors about an American soldier fighting alongside the Mexican revolutionaries?
3. Who gave young Arroyo the box of papers that declared him rightful owner of the hacienda?
4. In the dream Arroyo has in which his mother is legally married to his father, what becomes of his father's other wife?
5. Who is the first to say that if a man wants to be considered a good soldier, he must go out into battle hoping to die?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)