|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the Mexican people take siesta?
(a) After breakfast.
(b) After dinner.
(c) After lunch.
(d) Before bed.
2. Which woman runs up the arriving soldiers and immediately begins flirting with them?
(b) La Luna.
(c) La Garduña.
3. Who gave young Arroyo the box of papers that declared him rightful owner of the hacienda?
(a) La Luna.
(b) Don Graciano.
(c) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) His father.
4. Where does Harriet plan to have the old gringo's body buried?
(a) In New York City.
(b) In Arlington, Texas.
(c) In San Francisco.
(d) In Washington DC.
5. What does Harriet think is living inside the bodies of all living people?
6. Whom will the Old Gringo be buried next to?
(a) Harriet's mother.
(b) The old gringo's wife.
(c) The old gringo's daughter.
(d) Harriet's father.
7. After the old gringo dies, what freak weather occurs in the desert?
(a) It hails.
(b) A tornado strikes.
(c) It rains.
(d) It snows.
8. Who accompanies Harriet to the chapel where she must pick up the old gringo's body?
(a) La Luna.
(b) La Garduña.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
9. Before leaving, how long did Arroyo live on the hacienda?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Forty years.
10. What does Arroyo feel is keeping him prisoner in his adulthood?
(a) His inability to read.
(b) His race.
(c) His role in the revolution.
(d) His lack of a father.
11. What does Harriet call "the enemy of life"?
12. What does Harriet share with the old gringo, which makes her cling to him in Mexico?
(a) American roots.
(b) A love for literature.
(c) The desire to travel.
(d) A fear of the Mexicans.
13. How do the soldiers react to Arroyo's killing of the old gringo?
(a) They rise up against him.
(b) They desert him.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) They urge him to move forward with the revolution.
14. What type of man does Arroyo view as the most dangerous kind in the world?
(a) A cowardly man.
(b) A stupid man.
(c) A brave man.
(d) An egocentric man.
15. What does the old gringo think is the one factor that permeates all relationships?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound do the old gringo and Harriet hear, which they think is gunshots?
2. Which of the following is the name Pancho Villa had before he became famous?
3. What object belonging to Arroyo does the old gringo destroy moments before his death?
4. Which of the following items does NOT adorn the statue of Jesus hanging on the cross during the Mexican fiesta?
5. Why does General Arroyo pull his hat down and his serape up?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)