|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first to say that if a man wants to be considered a good soldier, he must go out into battle hoping to die?
(a) Colonel García.
(b) The old gringo.
(c) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) General Arroyo.
2. Whom does Arroyo think Harriet smells like?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
3. What type of dog was penned in with Arroyo when he was hiding in La Luna's home?
4. How does Harriet feel after she makes love to Arroyo?
5. Why does Harriet have the servants set to sweeping up the ashes in the hacienda?
(a) So they no longer track dirty footprints through the house.
(b) To clean out the dance floor for a competition.
(c) To prepare for the Mirandas' return.
(d) So that they no longer must eat ashes in their food.
6. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
(a) Best friends.
7. In what room of La Luna's home did General Arroyo hide during the early days of the revolution?
(a) In her attic.
(b) In her closet.
(c) In her basement.
(d) In her bathroom.
8. When do the Mexican people take siesta?
(a) After lunch.
(b) After breakfast.
(c) Before bed.
(d) After dinner.
9. Which of the following best describes La Luna's husband?
10. Which of the following does NOT describe the outfit Pancho Villa is wearing when he arrives to speak with American reporters?
(a) Made of black buckskin.
(b) Covered in zippers.
(c) Covered in silver and gold buttons.
(d) Covered in buckles.
11. What does don Graciano allow young Arroyo to hold while he is working in the hacienda?
(a) A bundle of clean rags.
(b) A set of keys.
(c) A crucifix.
(d) A copy of Don Quixote.
12. In the dream Arroyo has in which his mother is legally married to his father, what becomes of his father's other wife?
(a) She is a tailor.
(b) She is a teacher.
(c) She is a spinster.
(d) She is a beggar.
13. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
(a) Abandon the revolution.
(b) Kill the old gringo.
(c) Fall in love with her.
(d) Move away from Mexico.
14. How did Arroyo plan to shame his father?
(a) By refusing to help his father when he was in need.
(b) By not looking at him when he died.
(c) By denying that he was his father's son.
(d) By stealing all of his father's belongings.
15. What does Harriet set out into the hallway to teach the servants about temptation?
(a) A bowl of pesos.
(b) Several pieces of gold silk.
(c) Gold plates.
(d) A box of jewels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does La Luna use to muffle the sound of her voice when she is gossiping with Harriet?
2. Which of the following is the name Pancho Villa had before he became famous?
3. Who accompanies Harriet to the chapel where she must pick up the old gringo's body?
4. Which woman runs up the arriving soldiers and immediately begins flirting with them?
5. What does Arroyo feel is keeping him prisoner in his adulthood?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)