|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the old gringo returns from battle and goes to greet Harriet, what has she just finished doing?
2. What does Harriet think Arroyo smells like?
(a) Sea side mist.
(b) A horse stable.
(d) Over-ripe fruit.
3. What does La Luna say women are that men are not?
4. When do the Mexican people take siesta?
(a) After dinner.
(b) Before bed.
(c) After lunch.
(d) After breakfast.
5. How old is the girl that Harriet saves by sucking phlegm out of her throat?
(a) She is an infant.
(b) She is five.
(c) She is fifteen.
(d) She is ten.
6. What did Pancho Villa do for a living before he became a revolutionary?
(a) He was a cattle herder.
(b) He was a day laborer at the hacienda.
(c) He was a blacksmith.
(d) He was a tailor.
7. How long does Arroyo wait in La Luna's house without food?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few hours.
8. Where will Arroyo's body be buried?
(a) He will be cremated, with his ashes scattered throughout Mexico.
(b) In an unmarked grave in the desert.
(c) He will be buried at sea.
(d) Beneath the hacienda.
9. When Harriet is forced to dance with Arroyo in the ballroom, where does she imagine that she is?
(a) Down by the sea.
(b) In heaven.
(c) Back in Washington.
(d) Back in New York.
10. What does Harriet set out into the hallway to teach the servants about temptation?
(a) Several pieces of gold silk.
(b) A box of jewels.
(c) A bowl of pesos.
(d) Gold plates.
11. How does Harriet feel after she makes love to Arroyo?
12. Why did La Luna's husband lose interest in her?
(a) Because she was illiterate.
(b) Because she was unfaithful.
(c) Because she was barren.
(d) Because she was boring.
13. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
(c) Best friends.
14. Whom does Arroyo think Harriet smells like?
(a) His sister.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
15. On what day of the week did La Luna's servants line up to be paid?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old gringo think is the one factor that permeates all relationships?
2. What does Arroyo hope Harriet will take back to America with her?
3. Where is Arroyo's father's dead body hung to rot?
4. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
5. What sound do the old gringo and Harriet hear, which they think is gunshots?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)