|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first to say that if a man wants to be considered a good soldier, he must go out into battle hoping to die?
(a) The old gringo.
(b) General Arroyo.
(c) Colonel García.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
2. Whom does Arroyo think Harriet smells like?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
3. Which of the following items does NOT adorn the statue of Jesus hanging on the cross during the Mexican fiesta?
(a) Gold chains.
(b) Silver coins.
(c) A red velvet robe.
(d) A gold brooch.
4. After the old gringo returns from battle and goes to greet Harriet, what has she just finished doing?
5. Which of the following is NOT an adjective that Arroyo uses to describe his mother?
6. Which of the following does NOT describe the outfit Pancho Villa is wearing when he arrives to speak with American reporters?
(a) Covered in silver and gold buttons.
(b) Covered in buckles.
(c) Made of black buckskin.
(d) Covered in zippers.
7. What relationship does Harriet claim to have with the old gringo in front of Pancho Villa?
(d) Best friends.
8. What does Harriet think Arroyo smells like?
(a) A horse stable.
(b) Over-ripe fruit.
(c) Sea side mist.
9. When do the Mexican people take siesta?
(a) After breakfast.
(b) After lunch.
(c) Before bed.
(d) After dinner.
10. What look does Colonel Frutos García claim is written all over the old gringo's face?
11. In the dream Arroyo has in which his mother is legally married to his father, what becomes of his father's other wife?
(a) She is a tailor.
(b) She is a teacher.
(c) She is a spinster.
(d) She is a beggar.
12. What does Harriet make Arroyo promise to never do, lest she never forgive him?
(a) Fall in love with her.
(b) Kill the old gringo.
(c) Move away from Mexico.
(d) Abandon the revolution.
13. Who gave young Arroyo the box of papers that declared him rightful owner of the hacienda?
(a) His father.
(b) La Luna.
(c) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) Don Graciano.
14. Who accompanies Harriet to the chapel where she must pick up the old gringo's body?
(a) La Luna.
(b) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(c) La Garduña.
15. How did Arroyo plan to shame his father?
(a) By denying that he was his father's son.
(b) By stealing all of his father's belongings.
(c) By refusing to help his father when he was in need.
(d) By not looking at him when he died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does General Arroyo pull his hat down and his serape up?
2. In what city does Pancho Villa promise to help the revolutionary soldiers if they get "bogged down" in their battle?
3. How do the soldiers react to Arroyo's killing of the old gringo?
4. In what room of La Luna's home did General Arroyo hide during the early days of the revolution?
5. Which character's real name is Ambrose Bierce?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)