|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes the decor in General Arroyo's home?
2. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
(a) They were neighbors.
(b) They were lovers.
(c) They were acquaintances.
(d) They were coworkers.
3. Why doesn't the old gringo answer any of the horse salesman's questions?
(a) Because he doesn't speak Spanish.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) Because he doesn't speak to peasants.
(d) Because he is worried about being followed.
4. What does the old gringo regularly dream of?
(c) Being comfortable.
5. Which of the following does NOT travel through Mexico by use of the guerrilla train?
6. Where did Harriet's father go to fight, and never returned from?
7. What does the old gringo think about after he witnesses the explosion?
8. After Harriet's confrontation with General Arroyo, what beverage does she drink with the old gringo inside the Pullman car?
9. Which of the following adjectives does Harriet use in reference to the general during their argument?
10. Which of the following is NOT a reason the old gringo thinks he looks like an apparition?
(a) His white horse.
(b) His blue eyes.
(c) His white hair.
(d) His wrinkled skin.
11. How old is Pedro when he first meets the old gringo?
12. Where does Harriet begin to teach the guerrilla children?
(a) In the ballroom.
(b) In a field.
(c) In the stage car.
(d) Down by the river.
13. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her heart.
(c) Her spirit.
(d) Her skin.
14. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
15. Who does General Arroyo think should be put in the position of protecting Harriet?
(a) The old gringo.
(c) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) No one, he believes Harriet should be turned away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
2. Why has Harriet come to Mexico?
3. What does Harriet claim dried up in the heat of Mexico?
4. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
5. What color is the horse that the old gringo purchases?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)