|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inocencio Mansalvo think the old gringo has come into the desert to do?
2. What part of battle does the old gringo think will be the most exciting and noble?
(a) Loading ammunition for the soldiers.
(b) Working as a spy in enemy quarters.
(c) Fighting on the front lines.
(d) Caring for the injured.
3. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
(a) The Colonel.
(b) General Arroyo.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
4. What was the name of the young boy who accompanied Harriet to the Mexican border?
5. Where are the POWs who refuse to join with Pancho Villa held?
(a) In their own graves.
(b) In a giant metal cage.
(c) In swampy waters.
(d) In a pigsty.
6. Which of the following does NOT surprise the old gringo when he arrives in Mexico?
(a) The youth of the nation.
(b) The amount of people on the streets.
(c) The height of the buildings.
(d) The modern cars.
7. Where does Harriet find the notice for an English teacher in Mexico?
(a) Through the telegraph wires.
(b) In a newspaper.
(c) In the mail.
(d) Posted on the church bulletin board.
8. What is Harriet's last name?
9. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
(a) They were acquaintances.
(b) They were coworkers.
(c) They were lovers.
(d) They were neighbors.
10. What does the Colonel claim gringos come to the land of the Aztecs to do?
(a) Meet their destinies.
(b) Create their riches.
(c) Challenge their gods.
(d) Fight their demons.
11. How old is Harriet when she arrives in Mexico?
(a) In her forties.
(b) In her teens.
(c) In her twenties.
(d) In her thirties.
12. How does General Arroyo feel about the hacienda?
(a) He thinks nothing of it.
(b) He respects it.
(c) He appreciates it.
(d) He hates it.
13. How long have Harriet and Mr. Delaney been dating?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Fifteen years.
14. What creature is present in the bottom of every mescal bottle?
(a) A beetle.
(b) A cricket.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A worm.
15. In what city of Texas does the old gringo stop before he travels to Mexico?
(a) El Paso.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions best describes La Garduña?
2. Why has Harriet come to Mexico?
3. What does the general tell the old gringo to tend to when he says that he wants to fight?
4. Where does Harriet sleep at night?
5. What animal do some of the soldiers compare the old gringo to?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)