|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of accent does Harriet have?
(a) New England.
(b) East coast.
2. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her skin.
(c) Her heart.
(d) Her spirit.
3. What type of work did the old gringo do while he was fighting in the Civil War?
4. In what city of Mexico did the old gringo die?
5. How does the general respond to his ruined peso coin?
(a) He is disgusted.
(b) He is furious.
(c) He is impressed.
(d) He is apathetic.
6. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
7. What color is the horse that the old gringo purchases?
8. What does the old gringo think will be atonement for his writing career?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(b) Dying in Mexico.
(c) Living forever through his words.
(d) Being forgotten by his family.
9. What does the Colonel say is the only frontier left for gringos?
(a) The West.
(b) The North.
(c) The South.
(d) The East.
10. Who organizes the cleanup of the hacienda fire?
(a) General Arroyo.
(b) The old gringo.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
11. How does General Arroyo feel about the hacienda?
(a) He respects it.
(b) He appreciates it.
(c) He thinks nothing of it.
(d) He hates it.
12. What does Harriet suspect of Mr. Delaney.
(a) That he is embezzling.
(b) That he is secretly married.
(c) That he is dating someone else on the side.
(d) That he is involved in some shady business deals.
13. What part of battle does the old gringo think will be the most exciting and noble?
(a) Fighting on the front lines.
(b) Caring for the injured.
(c) Loading ammunition for the soldiers.
(d) Working as a spy in enemy quarters.
14. What adjective does the old gringo use to describe his journalism work to Harriet?
(c) Misrepresenting himself.
15. When Harriet dreams of Tomás, what thought takes over her mind?
(a) How they met each other.
(b) Where they once lived.
(c) What could have been between them.
(d) What she has lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
2. In what interesting room of an old building do Harriet and the old gringo talk?
3. How did La Luna get her name?
4. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
5. What does Harriet remember the young Mexican boy who accompanied her to the Mexican border carrying?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)