|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Harriet's father go to fight, and never returned from?
2. What art form did Harriet's family collect from uninterested Europeans?
3. What does Harriet claim dried up in the heat of Mexico?
(a) Her hope.
(b) Her faith.
(c) Her love.
(d) Her dreams.
4. Where are the POWs who refuse to join with Pancho Villa held?
(a) In swampy waters.
(b) In their own graves.
(c) In a pigsty.
(d) In a giant metal cage.
5. What does the old gringo admire most in Harriet's character?
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Her clothing.
(c) Her good looks.
(d) Her spunk.
6. How old is the old gringo when he reaches Mexico?
(a) In his forties.
(b) In his sixties.
(c) In his seventies.
(d) In his fifties.
7. What does Harriet suspect of Mr. Delaney.
(a) That he is involved in some shady business deals.
(b) That he is embezzling.
(c) That he is dating someone else on the side.
(d) That he is secretly married.
8. What does Inocencio Mansalvo think the old gringo has come into the desert to do?
9. Why does the old gringo think that Harriet was hired?
(a) As a mistake.
(b) Because she is the best teacher in the nation.
(c) For her stunning good looks.
(d) As cover for an escape.
10. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
(a) To teach the guerrillas a lesson.
(b) To embarrass the owners.
(c) To search for bones buried under the buildings.
(d) To earn the insurance money.
11. After Harriet's confrontation with General Arroyo, what beverage does she drink with the old gringo inside the Pullman car?
12. What is the name of the type of home that the family who hired Harriet live in called?
(a) A hacienda.
(b) A casa.
(c) A biblioteca.
(d) A castillo.
13. Which of the following is NOT a reason the old gringo thinks he looks like an apparition?
(a) His white hair.
(b) His wrinkled skin.
(c) His blue eyes.
(d) His white horse.
14. In what city of Mexico did the old gringo die?
15. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
(a) Her spirit.
(b) Her heart.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the old gringo say that he wants to die?
2. Where is the old gringo buried?
3. What does the old gringo think will be atonement for his writing career?
4. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
5. Where had Harriet been living before moving to Washington D.C.?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)