|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following states was NOT at least partially owned by the family that originally owned the train car General Arroyo is sleeping in?
2. What color are all the clothes that the old gringo wears to travel?
3. Who organizes the cleanup of the hacienda fire?
(a) The old gringo.
(c) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) General Arroyo.
4. Where does Harriet find the notice for an English teacher in Mexico?
(a) Posted on the church bulletin board.
(b) In the mail.
(c) Through the telegraph wires.
(d) In a newspaper.
5. What was Tomás Arroyo's name anglicized to?
(a) Thoms Smith.
(b) Thomas Mulvane.
(c) Tom Brooks.
(d) Tom Shepherd.
6. In which part of Mexico did Harriet live?
7. Where does the old gringo say that he wants to die?
(a) On the battle front.
(b) In Mexico.
(c) In his bed.
(d) In a boat on the sea.
8. What type of food is served to the old gringo on the night he arrives at the guerrilla camp?
(d) Arroz con pollo.
9. What does the old gringo fear will happen to Harriet while in Mexico?
(a) That she will fall in love with him.
(b) That she will be dissatisfied.
(c) That she will want to leave.
(d) That she will be killed.
10. How many days did the old gringo wander about the desert before finding the guerrillas?
(a) Four days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Three days.
11. What does General Arroyo store in the wooden box in his train car?
(c) Old papers.
(d) Enemy scalps.
12. What does Mr. Delaney do for a living?
(a) He is a cigarette salesman.
(b) He is a lobbyist.
(c) He is an optometrist.
(d) He is a lawyer.
13. What does the old gringo have marking his grave?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A wooden cross.
(d) A granite stone.
14. How did La Luna get her name?
(a) For her dreamy way of speaking.
(b) For her crazy personality.
(c) For her astrological skills.
(d) For her round face.
15. Where did Harriet's father go to fight, and never returned from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the general throw into the air for the old gringo to shoot?
2. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
3. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
4. Why does the old gringo think that Harriet was hired?
5. What does Harriet remember the young Mexican boy who accompanied her to the Mexican border carrying?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)