|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the type of home that the family who hired Harriet live in called?
(a) A casa.
(b) A hacienda.
(c) A biblioteca.
(d) A castillo.
2. What art form did Harriet's family collect from uninterested Europeans?
3. As an adult, in what city does Harriet live?
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) New York City.
4. Which of the following does NOT travel through Mexico by use of the guerrilla train?
5. Why has Harriet come to Mexico?
(a) To work on her art.
(b) To study.
(c) To teach.
(d) To fight in the war.
6. What type of accent does Harriet have?
(a) East coast.
(c) New England.
7. What color is the horse that the old gringo purchases?
8. What type of food is served to the old gringo on the night he arrives at the guerrilla camp?
(b) Arroz con pollo.
9. What does the Colonel say is the only frontier left for gringos?
(a) The East.
(b) The West.
(c) The North.
(d) The South.
10. What does the general throw into the air for the old gringo to shoot?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A stone.
(c) A coin.
(d) A bird.
11. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
(b) The Colonel.
(c) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) General Arroyo.
12. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
(a) Once or twice.
(b) Four or five times.
(c) More than ten times.
13. How does Harriet's mother respond to the news that Harriet is moving to Mexico?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is against it.
(c) Harriet never tells her mother she is leaving.
(d) She is supportive.
14. What explodes in front of the old gringo right as he is entering Mexico?
(a) A car.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A building.
(d) A volcano.
15. What does the old gringo regularly dream of?
(b) Being comfortable.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does General Arroyo feel about the hacienda?
2. What does Inocencio Mansalvo think the old gringo has come into the desert to do?
3. Which of the following is NOT offered to the old gringo after he shoots the coin?
4. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
5. Where does Harriet begin to teach the guerrilla children?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)