|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what weapon does General Arroyo threaten Harriet when he hears about her reaction to the fire?
(a) A whip.
(b) A slingshot.
(c) A sword.
(d) A gun.
2. In what city of Mexico did the old gringo die?
3. How does the army of guerrilla soldiers travel through Mexico?
(a) By boat.
(b) On foot.
(c) By horseback.
(d) By train.
4. What is the other name the Mexican characters in the novel give to the old gringo?
(a) Old geezer.
(b) Old man.
(c) Old Señor.
(d) Old Tom.
5. What does the old gringo believe is the fate of every revolutionary?
(a) To become a tyrant.
(b) To be remembered fondly.
(c) To die young.
(d) To be feared by the public.
6. Which of the following is NOT offered to the old gringo after he shoots the coin?
(b) A sombrero.
(d) A bed to sleep on.
7. What branch of the armed forces did Harriet move to be closer to?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The Air Force.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Marines.
8. When Harriet dreams of Tomás, what thought takes over her mind?
(a) How they met each other.
(b) Where they once lived.
(c) What could have been between them.
(d) What she has lost.
9. What explodes in front of the old gringo right as he is entering Mexico?
(a) A building.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A volcano.
(d) A car.
10. Which of the following is NOT a reason the old gringo thinks he looks like an apparition?
(a) His white horse.
(b) His wrinkled skin.
(c) His blue eyes.
(d) His white hair.
11. What does the old gringo think about after he witnesses the explosion?
12. What does the traveling party admit was one of the old gringo's biggest flaws?
(a) He was always late.
(b) He was hateful.
(c) He was selfish.
(d) He was vain.
13. Which of the following does NOT surprise the old gringo when he arrives in Mexico?
(a) The youth of the nation.
(b) The modern cars.
(c) The amount of people on the streets.
(d) The height of the buildings.
14. What type of accent does Harriet have?
(b) New England.
(c) East coast.
15. What adjective does the old gringo use to describe his journalism work to Harriet?
(a) Misrepresenting himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the general respond to his ruined peso coin?
2. How does the old gringo say goodbye to Harriet before leaving for Zacatecas?
3. How old is Mr. Delaney?
4. In what war did the old gringo fight?
5. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)