|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill did the old gringo have that impressed Pedro?
(d) Finding edible plants.
2. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her skin.
(c) Her heart.
(d) Her spirit.
3. Whom does Harriet live with in Washington D.C.?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her best friend.
4. How does the army of guerrilla soldiers travel through Mexico?
(a) By train.
(b) By boat.
(c) By horseback.
(d) On foot.
5. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
(a) To embarrass the owners.
(b) To earn the insurance money.
(c) To search for bones buried under the buildings.
(d) To teach the guerrillas a lesson.
6. What does the Colonel say is the only frontier left for gringos?
(a) The South.
(b) The West.
(c) The North.
(d) The East.
7. Which of the following is NOT offered to the old gringo after he shoots the coin?
(a) A sombrero.
(b) A bed to sleep on.
8. What does the general throw into the air for the old gringo to shoot?
(a) A stone.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A bird.
(d) A coin.
9. What does the old gringo admire most in Harriet's character?
(a) Her clothing.
(b) Her spunk.
(c) Her good looks.
(d) Her intelligence.
10. Which meal do the old man and woman in the tiny hut invite the old gringo to eat with them?
11. What explodes in front of the old gringo right as he is entering Mexico?
(a) A car.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A bridge.
(d) A building.
12. What is the other name the Mexican characters in the novel give to the old gringo?
(a) Old Tom.
(b) Old man.
(c) Old geezer.
(d) Old Señor.
13. In what city of Texas does the old gringo stop before he travels to Mexico?
(b) El Paso.
14. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
(a) They were acquaintances.
(b) They were neighbors.
(c) They were coworkers.
(d) They were lovers.
15. How does the general respond to his ruined peso coin?
(a) He is impressed.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is disgusted.
(d) He is furious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old gringo think about after he witnesses the explosion?
2. What type of work did the old gringo do while he was fighting in the Civil War?
3. What is the name of the family that hired Harriet?
4. What type of church does Harriet attend weekly?
5. How did La Luna get her name?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)