|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
(a) They were lovers.
(b) They were neighbors.
(c) They were acquaintances.
(d) They were coworkers.
2. How old is Mr. Delaney?
(a) In his twenties.
(b) In his forties.
(c) In his fifties.
(d) In his thirties.
3. Which of the following characters does NOT accompany Harriet Winslow to the border?
(b) La Garduña.
(c) The Colonel.
(d) Inocensia Mansalvo.
4. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
(a) To earn the insurance money.
(b) To embarrass the owners.
(c) To search for bones buried under the buildings.
(d) To teach the guerrillas a lesson.
5. What does the general tell the old gringo to tend to when he says that he wants to fight?
(a) His garden.
(b) His family.
(c) His health.
(d) His life.
6. How did La Luna get her name?
(a) For her dreamy way of speaking.
(b) For her round face.
(c) For her crazy personality.
(d) For her astrological skills.
7. What branch of the armed forces did Harriet move to be closer to?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The Army.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Marines.
8. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
9. What does Inocencio Mansalvo think the old gringo has come into the desert to do?
10. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
(a) More than ten times.
(b) Once or twice.
(c) Four or five times.
11. Who does General Arroyo think should be put in the position of protecting Harriet?
(b) No one, he believes Harriet should be turned away.
(c) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) The old gringo.
12. What does the old gringo believe is the fate of every revolutionary?
(a) To be remembered fondly.
(b) To be feared by the public.
(c) To become a tyrant.
(d) To die young.
13. Where are the POWs who refuse to join with Pancho Villa held?
(a) In a pigsty.
(b) In their own graves.
(c) In a giant metal cage.
(d) In swampy waters.
14. How does General Arroyo feel about the hacienda?
(a) He appreciates it.
(b) He thinks nothing of it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He respects it.
15. What does La Garduña do for a living?
(a) She is a soldier.
(b) She is a prostitute.
(c) She is a cook.
(d) She is an artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal do some of the soldiers compare the old gringo to?
2. Where are the traveling group taking the body of the old gringo?
3. What type of church does Harriet attend weekly?
4. Why has Harriet come to Mexico?
5. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)