|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does General Arroyo think should be put in the position of protecting Harriet?
(a) The old gringo.
(c) No one, he believes Harriet should be turned away.
(d) Inocencio Mansalvo.
2. After Harriet's confrontation with General Arroyo, what beverage does she drink with the old gringo inside the Pullman car?
3. Where had Harriet been living before moving to Washington D.C.?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) New York.
4. What does Harriet claim dried up in the heat of Mexico?
(a) Her hope.
(b) Her dreams.
(c) Her faith.
(d) Her love.
5. Which of the following does NOT travel through Mexico by use of the guerrilla train?
6. What animal do some of the soldiers compare the old gringo to?
(a) A flamingo.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A peacock.
(d) An owl.
7. What does Harriet suspect of Mr. Delaney.
(a) That he is embezzling.
(b) That he is secretly married.
(c) That he is dating someone else on the side.
(d) That he is involved in some shady business deals.
8. What type of work did the old gringo do while he was fighting in the Civil War?
9. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
(a) To search for bones buried under the buildings.
(b) To embarrass the owners.
(c) To teach the guerrillas a lesson.
(d) To earn the insurance money.
10. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
11. How old was Harriet when her father left for the war?
(d) 6 months old.
12. How many people accompany Harriet as she makes her way over the Mexican border?
13. What does the old gringo regularly dream of?
(d) Being comfortable.
14. What is the other name the Mexican characters in the novel give to the old gringo?
(a) Old Señor.
(b) Old Tom.
(c) Old man.
(d) Old geezer.
15. How does the army of guerrilla soldiers travel through Mexico?
(a) By horseback.
(b) On foot.
(c) By boat.
(d) By train.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which part of Mexico did Harriet live?
2. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
3. How does the general respond to his ruined peso coin?
4. Which of the following is NOT something that the old gringo carries around in his suitcase?
5. What does the general throw into the air for the old gringo to shoot?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)