|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
(b) General Arroyo.
(c) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) The Colonel.
2. What type of church does Harriet attend weekly?
3. What does the old gringo regularly dream of?
(b) Being comfortable.
4. What does La Garduña do for a living?
(a) She is a prostitute.
(b) She is a cook.
(c) She is an artist.
(d) She is a soldier.
5. Which of the following characters does NOT accompany Harriet Winslow to the border?
(b) Inocensia Mansalvo.
(c) La Garduña.
(d) The Colonel.
6. What is the name of the family that hired Harriet?
7. Why doesn't the old gringo answer any of the horse salesman's questions?
(a) Because he is worried about being followed.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) Because he doesn't speak to peasants.
(d) Because he doesn't speak Spanish.
8. Which of the following states was NOT at least partially owned by the family that originally owned the train car General Arroyo is sleeping in?
9. How long have Harriet and Mr. Delaney been dating?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
10. How many days did the old gringo wander about the desert before finding the guerrillas?
(a) Four days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Three days.
11. What type of work did the old gringo do while he was fighting in the Civil War?
12. How does Harriet's mother respond to the news that Harriet is moving to Mexico?
(a) She is supportive.
(b) She is against it.
(c) She is apathetic.
(d) Harriet never tells her mother she is leaving.
13. Which of the following does NOT surprise the old gringo when he arrives in Mexico?
(a) The height of the buildings.
(b) The amount of people on the streets.
(c) The modern cars.
(d) The youth of the nation.
14. What animal do some of the soldiers compare the old gringo to?
(a) A peacock.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A flamingo.
(d) An owl.
15. Why has Harriet come to Mexico?
(a) To fight in the war.
(b) To work on her art.
(c) To study.
(d) To teach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of food is served to the old gringo on the night he arrives at the guerrilla camp?
2. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
3. After Harriet's confrontation with General Arroyo, what beverage does she drink with the old gringo inside the Pullman car?
4. Where are the traveling group taking the body of the old gringo?
5. How did La Luna get her name?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)