|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Tomás Arroyo's name anglicized to?
(a) Thomas Mulvane.
(b) Tom Brooks.
(c) Thoms Smith.
(d) Tom Shepherd.
2. What does the Colonel say is the only frontier left for gringos?
(a) The South.
(b) The West.
(c) The North.
(d) The East.
3. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
(a) They were lovers.
(b) They were acquaintances.
(c) They were coworkers.
(d) They were neighbors.
4. Which of the following adjectives does Harriet use in reference to the general during their argument?
5. In what war did the old gringo fight?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) World War II.
6. How did La Luna get her name?
(a) For her dreamy way of speaking.
(b) For her crazy personality.
(c) For her astrological skills.
(d) For her round face.
7. How many days did the old gringo wander about the desert before finding the guerrillas?
(a) Five days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Four days.
8. Where does Harriet begin to teach the guerrilla children?
(a) In a field.
(b) In the stage car.
(c) Down by the river.
(d) In the ballroom.
9. What does Harriet claim dried up in the heat of Mexico?
(a) Her faith.
(b) Her love.
(c) Her hope.
(d) Her dreams.
10. Where are the POWs who refuse to join with Pancho Villa held?
(a) In their own graves.
(b) In swampy waters.
(c) In a pigsty.
(d) In a giant metal cage.
11. Which meal do the old man and woman in the tiny hut invite the old gringo to eat with them?
12. Which of the following does NOT surprise the old gringo when he arrives in Mexico?
(a) The modern cars.
(b) The youth of the nation.
(c) The height of the buildings.
(d) The amount of people on the streets.
13. Where had Harriet been living before moving to Washington D.C.?
(a) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
14. In which part of Mexico did Harriet live?
15. What does the old gringo believe is the fate of every revolutionary?
(a) To be remembered fondly.
(b) To be feared by the public.
(c) To die young.
(d) To become a tyrant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
2. What does the old gringo think is the path that all young men must take?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes the decor in General Arroyo's home?
4. How old is Harriet when she arrives in Mexico?
5. Where are the traveling group taking the body of the old gringo?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)