|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days did the old gringo wander about the desert before finding the guerrillas?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five days.
2. Who is the current leader of Mexico at the time of the book?
(a) Manuel González.
(b) Francisco I. Madero.
(c) Juan N. Méndez.
(d) Porfirio Diaz.
3. Which military character does the old gringo think will test him more than any other character in the novel?
(a) General Arroyo.
(b) Inocencio Mansalvo.
(d) The Colonel.
4. How often did the Miranda family come to visit the hacienda during a typical year?
(a) Four or five times.
(c) More than ten times.
(d) Once or twice.
5. After Harriet's confrontation with General Arroyo, what beverage does she drink with the old gringo inside the Pullman car?
6. Which of the following statements is true about General Arroyo?
(a) He is dyslexic.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is illiterate.
7. What does the old gringo think is the path that all young men must take?
(a) To find their perfect woman.
(b) To challenge their father figures.
(c) To travel the world.
(d) To fight for righteousness.
8. How old is Mr. Delaney?
(a) In his thirties.
(b) In his fifties.
(c) In his forties.
(d) In his twenties.
9. In what city of Texas does the old gringo stop before he travels to Mexico?
(d) El Paso.
10. In what interesting room of an old building do Harriet and the old gringo talk?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the ballroom.
(c) In the conservatory.
(d) In the parlor.
11. How does General Arroyo feel about the hacienda?
(a) He appreciates it.
(b) He respects it.
(c) He thinks nothing of it.
(d) He hates it.
12. Who states that the old gringo is probably a man of honor?
(b) General Arroyo.
(c) La Garduña.
(d) The Colonel.
13. What is the name of the Colonel who oversees the soldiers at the old gringo's graveside?
(a) Colonel Fred Ferrett.
(b) Colonel Franklin McGeeves.
(c) Colonel Frutos García.
(d) Colonel Fred Lopez.
14. What does Inocencio Mansalvo think the old gringo has come into the desert to do?
15. What part of Harriet does the old gringo think is the only living thing in the desert?
(a) Her skin.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her spirit.
(d) Her heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Harriet dreams of Tomás, what thought takes over her mind?
2. Which of the following states was NOT at least partially owned by the family that originally owned the train car General Arroyo is sleeping in?
3. What does the old gringo think will be atonement for his writing career?
4. What does the old gringo regularly dream of?
5. In what city of Mexico did the old gringo die?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)