|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom were the land grants to the Mexican people?
(a) The king of Russia.
(b) The king of Portugal.
(c) The king of Spain.
(d) The king of England.
2. What type of person does the old gringo compare General Arroyo to?
(a) A dictator.
(b) A revolutionary.
(c) A sycophant.
(d) A buffoon.
3. What relationship did Harriet and Tomás have in Mexico?
(a) They were coworkers.
(b) They were acquaintances.
(c) They were neighbors.
(d) They were lovers.
4. What type of accent does Harriet have?
(c) New England.
(d) East coast.
5. Where does the old gringo say that he wants to die?
(a) On the battle front.
(b) In a boat on the sea.
(c) In Mexico.
(d) In his bed.
6. Where did Harriet complete school?
(a) She had a tutor.
(b) At a finishing school.
(c) At a public school.
(d) At a private school.
7. What does General Arroyo store in the wooden box in his train car?
(c) Enemy scalps.
(d) Old papers.
8. What art form did Harriet's family collect from uninterested Europeans?
9. What type of food is served to the old gringo on the night he arrives at the guerrilla camp?
(d) Arroz con pollo.
10. In what interesting room of an old building do Harriet and the old gringo talk?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the parlor.
(c) In the ballroom.
(d) In the conservatory.
11. What color are all the clothes that the old gringo wears to travel?
12. What does the old gringo admire most in Harriet's character?
(a) Her spunk.
(b) Her clothing.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her good looks.
13. What type of feeling does the old gringo begin to have toward General Arroyo after meeting alone with him in his home?
14. What was the name of the young boy who accompanied Harriet to the Mexican border?
15. Where are the traveling group taking the body of the old gringo?
(a) To Camargo.
(b) To Saltillo.
(c) To Culiacán.
(d) To Durango.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Colonel who oversees the soldiers at the old gringo's graveside?
2. What does the Colonel say is the only frontier left for gringos?
3. Where are the POWs who refuse to join with Pancho Villa held?
4. How does the old gringo say goodbye to Harriet before leaving for Zacatecas?
5. As an adult, in what city does Harriet live?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)