|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Harriet sleep at night?
(a) In the woods.
(b) In the train car.
(c) In a small wooden hut by the river.
(d) In the old gringo's tent.
2. Which of the following is NOT offered to the old gringo after he shoots the coin?
(c) A sombrero.
(d) A bed to sleep on.
3. Which meal do the old man and woman in the tiny hut invite the old gringo to eat with them?
4. Where are the traveling group taking the body of the old gringo?
(a) To Camargo.
(b) To Durango.
(c) To Culiacán.
(d) To Saltillo.
5. What is the name of the type of home that the family who hired Harriet live in called?
(a) A castillo.
(b) A casa.
(c) A biblioteca.
(d) A hacienda.
6. What was the name of the young boy who accompanied Harriet to the Mexican border?
7. How does the old gringo say goodbye to Harriet before leaving for Zacatecas?
(a) He does not say goodbye.
(b) He shakes her hand.
(c) He hugs her.
(d) He kisses her.
8. In which part of Mexico did Harriet live?
9. How old is Mr. Delaney?
(a) In his forties.
(b) In his twenties.
(c) In his fifties.
(d) In his thirties.
10. What does Mr. Delaney do for a living?
(a) He is a cigarette salesman.
(b) He is an optometrist.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a lobbyist.
11. In what city of Mexico did the old gringo die?
12. How does General Arroyo feel about the hacienda?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He respects it.
(c) He thinks nothing of it.
(d) He appreciates it.
13. Which of the following statements is true about General Arroyo?
(a) He is dyslexic.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is illiterate.
14. What part of battle does the old gringo think will be the most exciting and noble?
(a) Loading ammunition for the soldiers.
(b) Fighting on the front lines.
(c) Working as a spy in enemy quarters.
(d) Caring for the injured.
15. How does the old gringo travel from Texas to Mexico?
(a) On horseback.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) On foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does General Arroyo decide to burn down the hacienda?
2. What branch of the armed forces did Harriet move to be closer to?
3. Why doesn't the old gringo answer any of the horse salesman's questions?
4. What type of food is served to the old gringo on the night he arrives at the guerrilla camp?
5. What was Tomás Arroyo's name anglicized to?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)