|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bianca has a severe attack by _______________.
2. Which of the following does Lucy NOT use for her Sunday School lessons?
3. What destination does Lucy choose when she goes to the train depot?
4. Where does Baby plan to run away to?
5. How does Maimie kill herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
2. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
3. Why does Lucy decide to leave her family and what gives her validation on her decision?
4. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
5. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
6. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
7. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
8. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
9. How does Will behave when he returns home after Ned's accident?
10. Describe Lucy and Will's separation after Ned's accident.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memories take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of the novel? Why did Gurganus choose to write the story from this perspective? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)