|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Lucy make in Book V, pp. 633-645?
2. Why do Lucy's children like going to Cassie's house?
3. Who cares for Will now that he is incapacitated?
4. What happens to the tribe members who go onto the boat?
5. Who was Maimie L. Beech?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
2. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
3. Describe how Cassie and her family members were taken aboard the big boat in Africa.
4. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
5. What was the fate of Cassie and her parents?
6. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
7. Why does Maimie decide to kill herself?
8. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
9. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
10. Describe Lucy and Will's separation after Ned's accident.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Gurganus use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Gurganus is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)