|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animals does Cassie raise?
2. What position did Cassie's mother hold?
3. Will leaves Appomattox before ____________________.
4. What did Cassie's mother do in the root cellar?
5. What was the only job that Samuel attempted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
2. What was the fate of Cassie and her parents?
3. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
4. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
5. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
6. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
7. What does Lucy do when she learns that Ned has been blinded in a hunting accident?
8. What are the circumstances in which Maimie is terminated by Angus McCloud?
9. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
10. Why does Maimie decide to kill herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memories take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Gurganus is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
How does Gurganus use the literary technique of local color in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Falls establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)