|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Will take Ned?
2. Which of the following does Lucy NOT use for her Sunday School lessons?
3. For whom were Lucy and Will's children named?
4. Bianca has a severe attack by _______________.
5. In what state is the commodity in which Will invests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
2. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
3. Describe how Cassie and her family members were taken aboard the big boat in Africa.
4. Describe Lucy and Will's separation after Ned's accident.
5. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
6. Why does Lucy decide to leave her family and what gives her validation on her decision?
7. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
8. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
9. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
10. Why would Unison have behaved so mournfully at Prothero's funeral, especially when she did not care for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memories take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)