|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what has Will invested money?
2. How many men has Will killed?
3. Where does Will want to take Ned?
4. What does Will do with the musket with which he killed men?
5. Who was Bianca's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
2. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
3. What story does Lady Marsden ask Cassie to tell as they wait for Sherman's troops to arrive?
4. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
5. Describe Lucy and Will's separation after Ned's accident.
6. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
7. What was the fate of Cassie and her parents?
8. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
9. What prevents Lucy from leaving with the children?
10. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gurganus uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe some situation or location in the book using only your recall of Gurganus' descriptions.
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the novel? Why did Gurganus choose to write the story from this perspective? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gurganus use the literary technique of local color in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Falls establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)