|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What regret does the woman in the train station have?
2. What kind of animals does Cassie raise?
3. Where does Will stay when Lucy tells him to leave the house?
4. How does Lucy feel about where Will wants to take Ned?
5. What did Cassie's mother do in the root cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucy do when she learns that Ned has been blinded in a hunting accident?
2. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
3. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
4. Describe how Cassie and her family members were taken aboard the big boat in Africa.
5. Who is Maimie L. Beech?
6. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
8. Why does Lucy decide to leave her family and what gives her validation on her decision?
9. What prevents Lucy from leaving with the children?
10. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether Will was a victim of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. What are the symptoms of this disorder? What behaviors haunted Will for the rest of his life after his service in the Civil War? What do you think people called this disorder which was not formally recognized at this time?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)