|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does Unison play?
2. What does Will do in spite of losing money?
3. Why does Lucy decide not to leave Will?
4. Who takes Ned for his blind training classes?
5. What city did the woman in the train station come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Unison have behaved so mournfully at Prothero's funeral, especially when she did not care for him?
2. Why did Bianca try to push Lucy toward social refinement and how did Lucy feel about it?
3. What is the story of the woman at the train station which makes Lucy change her mind about leaving her family?
4. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
5. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
6. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
7. Who is Maimie L. Beech?
8. What was the fate of Cassie and her parents?
9. What prevents Lucy from leaving with the children?
10. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the early to mid 20th century when Lucy is living her life. How did women's roles evolve? What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)