|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Will refuse any rides on his way home?
2. As a child, Lucy had a collection of _______________.
3. What was the big event of the year for Cassie's tribe in Africa?
4. How long has Will been in the army at the war's end?
5. What lie does Ned tell Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents Lucy from leaving with the children?
2. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
3. How does Will behave when he returns home after Ned's accident?
4. What is the story of the woman at the train station which makes Lucy change her mind about leaving her family?
5. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
6. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
7. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
8. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
9. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
10. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the novel? Why did Gurganus choose to write the story from this perspective? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Gurganus use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)