|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Lucy's mother?
2. What does Will feel about seeing General Lee?
3. How does Maimie kill herself?
4. What position did Cassie's mother hold?
5. What do the Daughters of the Confederacy ask Will to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Maimie L. Beech?
2. What was the fate of Cassie and her parents?
3. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
4. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
5. Describe how Cassie and her family members were taken aboard the big boat in Africa.
6. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
7. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
8. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
9. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
10. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether Will was a victim of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. What are the symptoms of this disorder? What behaviors haunted Will for the rest of his life after his service in the Civil War? What do you think people called this disorder which was not formally recognized at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Gurganus is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)