|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Daughters of the Confederacy ask Will to do?
2. Where is Will now storing some of his guns?
3. How does Lucy feel about where Will wants to take Ned?
4. How does Maimie kill herself?
5. Who takes Ned for his blind training classes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
2. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
3. Why would Unison have behaved so mournfully at Prothero's funeral, especially when she did not care for him?
4. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
5. What story does Lady Marsden ask Cassie to tell as they wait for Sherman's troops to arrive?
6. What is the story of the woman at the train station which makes Lucy change her mind about leaving her family?
7. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
8. How does Will behave when he returns home after Ned's accident?
9. What lie does Ned tell his mother and what did he actually do?
10. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Gurganus is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)