|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Union general do people talk about on Will's journey home?
2. How does Maimie kill herself?
3. As a child, Lucy had a collection of _______________.
4. Why does Lucy decide not to leave Will?
5. What treat does Lucy take to Ned in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
2. What is the story of the woman at the train station which makes Lucy change her mind about leaving her family?
3. Who is Maimie L. Beech?
4. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
5. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
6. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
7. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
8. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
9. What are the circumstances in which Maimie is terminated by Angus McCloud?
10. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gurganus' writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Lucy Marsden. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Gurganus is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)