|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Daughters of the Confederacy ask Will to do?
2. How old is the child when he dies?
3. Which Union general do people talk about on Will's journey home?
4. How old was Lucy when Cap gave her the diamond ring?
5. What was Lucy's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
3. Why would Unison have behaved so mournfully at Prothero's funeral, especially when she did not care for him?
4. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
5. How does Will behave when he returns home after Ned's accident?
6. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
7. What was the fate of Cassie and her parents?
8. Why did Bianca try to push Lucy toward social refinement and how did Lucy feel about it?
9. Why does Lucy decide to leave her family and what gives her validation on her decision?
10. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the early to mid 20th century when Lucy is living her life. How did women's roles evolve? What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)