|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lucy's best friend as a child?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the items that Lieutenant Prothero brings with him?
3. What does the community ask Lucy to do?
4. Lucy tells one of Will's stories about Unison Randolph who was ___________ at the time of the story.
5. According to Prothero, there should not be a virgin over the age of __________ in the Confederacy.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
2. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
3. What does Lucy do when she learns that Ned has been blinded in a hunting accident?
4. What story does Lady Marsden ask Cassie to tell as they wait for Sherman's troops to arrive?
5. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
7. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
8. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
9. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
10. How does Will behave when he returns home after Ned's accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the story and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the early to mid 20th century when Lucy is living her life. How did women's roles evolve? What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 3
Gurganus uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe some situation or location in the book using only your recall of Gurganus' descriptions.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)