|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lucy's youngest child?
2. How does Lucy feel about where Will wants to take Ned?
3. What happens to Lucy's diamond ring?
4. What destination does Lucy choose when she goes to the train depot?
5. In what state die Unison live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
3. Why would Unison have behaved so mournfully at Prothero's funeral, especially when she did not care for him?
4. Describe Lucy and Will's separation after Ned's accident.
5. What are the circumstances in which Maimie is terminated by Angus McCloud?
6. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
7. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
8. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
9. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
10. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the early to mid 20th century when Lucy is living her life. How did women's roles evolve? What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Gurganus use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)