|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, Lucy had a collection of _______________.
2. What happens to the tribe members who go onto the boat?
3. What decision does Lucy make in Book V, pp. 633-645?
4. Which Union general do people talk about on Will's journey home?
5. Why do Lucy's children like going to Cassie's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
2. What lie does Ned tell his mother and what did he actually do?
3. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
4. What was the fate of Cassie and her parents?
5. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
6. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
7. Why does Maimie decide to kill herself?
8. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
9. What does Lucy do when she learns that Ned has been blinded in a hunting accident?
10. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL is a classic historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)