|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animals does Cassie raise?
2. How does Maimie kill herself?
3. Where does Will want to take Ned?
4. How old will Ned be at the beginning of this section?
5. What lie does Ned tell Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maimie decide to kill herself?
2. Why did Bianca try to push Lucy toward social refinement and how did Lucy feel about it?
3. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
4. What story does Lady Marsden ask Cassie to tell as they wait for Sherman's troops to arrive?
5. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
6. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
7. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
8. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
9. What was the fate of Cassie and her parents?
10. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)