|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Will leaves Appomattox before ____________________.
2. What validates Lucy's decision?
3. Where does Will take Ned?
4. Why does Maimie always quit her job?
5. Who cares for Will now that he is incapacitated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Cassie and her family members were taken aboard the big boat in Africa.
2. Describe Lucy and Will's separation after Ned's accident.
3. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
4. Why does Lucy decide to leave her family and what gives her validation on her decision?
5. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
6. What prevents Lucy from leaving with the children?
7. What does Lucy do when she learns that Ned has been blinded in a hunting accident?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
9. What is the story of the woman at the train station which makes Lucy change her mind about leaving her family?
10. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gurganus' writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL.
Essay Topic 2
Gurganus is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)