|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of Will's popularity in the South now?
2. In what has Will invested money?
3. Which of the following does Lucy NOT use for her Sunday School lessons?
4. How old was Cassie when she was captured in Africa and sold into slavery?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the items that Lieutenant Prothero brings with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the fate of Cassie and her parents?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
3. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
4. Why does Lucy decide to leave her family and what gives her validation on her decision?
5. What is the story of the woman at the train station which makes Lucy change her mind about leaving her family?
6. Describe Lucy and Will's separation after Ned's accident.
7. What does Lucy do when she learns that Ned has been blinded in a hunting accident?
8. Describe how Cassie and her family members were taken aboard the big boat in Africa.
9. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
10. Who is Maimie L. Beech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the story and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of view of the novel? Why did Gurganus choose to write the story from this perspective? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lucy Marsden. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)