|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What regret does the woman in the train station have?
2. How old will Ned be at the beginning of this section?
3. Lucy has her children research ______________ and give reports on what they find.
4. What was the big event of the year for Cassie's tribe in Africa?
5. What does Unison do at Prothero's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
2. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
3. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
4. Describe how Cassie and her family members were taken aboard the big boat in Africa.
5. What is the story of the woman at the train station which makes Lucy change her mind about leaving her family?
6. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
7. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
8. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
9. What prevents Lucy from leaving with the children?
10. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gurganus uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe some situation or location in the book using only your recall of Gurganus' descriptions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the early to mid 20th century when Lucy is living her life. How did women's roles evolve? What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)