|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Union general do people talk about on Will's journey home?
2. How does Lucy feel about where Will wants to take Ned?
3. How old is the child when he dies?
4. What was the big event of the year for Cassie's tribe in Africa?
5. Where is Will sitting in a ditch in Book III, pp. 478-509?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Cassie and her family members were taken aboard the big boat in Africa.
2. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
3. Who is Maimie L. Beech?
4. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
5. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
6. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
7. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
8. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
9. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
10. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
How does Gurganus use the literary technique of local color in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Falls establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the story and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)