|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Will refuse any rides on his way home?
2. What destination does Lucy choose when she goes to the train depot?
3. What job does Cassie's mother have to do when sold to the Marsdens?
4. How does Lucy feel about where Will wants to take Ned?
5. What treat does Lucy take to Ned in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
2. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
3. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
4. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
5. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
7. What lie does Ned tell his mother and what did he actually do?
8. What is the story of the woman at the train station which makes Lucy change her mind about leaving her family?
9. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
10. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gurganus' writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL.
Essay Topic 2
OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL is a classic historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)