|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does Unison play?
2. What regret does the woman in the train station have?
3. How does Will greet Lucy when she arrives at the hospital?
4. What position did Cassie's mother hold?
5. What validates Lucy's decision?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will behave when he returns home after Ned's accident?
2. Describe Lucy and Will's separation after Ned's accident.
3. Why would Unison have behaved so mournfully at Prothero's funeral, especially when she did not care for him?
4. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
5. Why does Lucy decide to leave her family and what gives her validation on her decision?
6. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
7. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
8. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
9. Why does Maimie decide to kill herself?
10. What is the story of the woman at the train station which makes Lucy change her mind about leaving her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL is a classic historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of the novel? Why did Gurganus choose to write the story from this perspective? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)