|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an item the slaves leave with Lady Marsden before they go?
2. Where does Cap drive the family in the new car?
3. Who was the nursing home director that Lucy liked?
4. Who is burned in the fiery destruction of The Lilacs?
5. What is the name of the area where the freed slaves camp in Falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
2. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
3. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
4. Who is Sal Smith and what role did he play in Will's life during the war?
5. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
6. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
7. What is the premise of OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL?
8. Why does Lucy allow Will to tell his war stories to the children in spite of her objection to them?
9. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
10. To what does Will attribute Cassie's aloof demeanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Will Marsden. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)