|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Willie and his mother have to stay in rented rooms after the war?
2. What happens to Will a few months after the return from the trip?
3. What thought did Lucy have on her wedding night?
4. Who was the Union soldier Will dragged into a ditch with him?
5. What kind of car did Cap buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
2. Why does Lucy allow Will to tell his war stories to the children in spite of her objection to them?
3. Who was Ned Smythe and what was his role in Willie's life?
4. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
5. What was the purpose of the trip the family made in a new Model T Ford?
6. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
7. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
8. Why is Lucy's wedding night especially difficult for Lucy on two levels?
9. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
10. Who is the only man that Lucy likes in the nursing home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the point of view of the novel? Why did Gurganus choose to write the story from this perspective? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Gurganus is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)