|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Captain Marsden when he joined the Confederate army?
2. Where did Will and his mother often have picnics?
3. Lucy learns that Cassie is a _______________.
4. What notable thing does Will comment on about his friend, Ned?
5. Where is Lucy living at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the trip the family made in a new Model T Ford?
2. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
3. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
4. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
5. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
6. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
7. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
8. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
9. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
10. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
How does Gurganus use the literary technique of local color in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Falls establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,639 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)