|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cassie prepare for Lucy for breakfast?
2. What does Ned's mother do when Will tells her about Ned's death?
3. What does Will do when he returns to Falls?
4. Cassie tells Lucy that Lucy doesn't know how to be _____________.
5. What item did Will get from a dying Union soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
2. Who is the only man that Lucy likes in the nursing home?
3. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
4. How does the novel begin?
5. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
6. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
7. Why is Lucy concerned for Will during the family's trip to view Civil War sites?
8. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
9. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
10. Why do most of the slaves remain at The Lilacs even after they are freed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)