|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cap and Lucy purchase at Hodgepath's?
2. How old is Lucy at the beginning of the novel?
3. What is Lucy's notoriety in the nursing home?
4. What have some of the people at the nursing home gotten Lucy interested in?
5. Where did Will and his mother often have picnics?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
2. How does the novel begin?
3. What is the premise of OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL?
4. Who is the only man that Lucy likes in the nursing home?
5. To what does Will attribute Cassie's aloof demeanor?
6. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
7. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
8. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
9. What role do soap operas play in the nursing home where Lucy lives now?
10. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)