|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy describes herself as the veteran of _____________.
2. What happens when Will gets closer to the places with the most painful memories?
3. What game did Lady Marsden play with the slaves?
4. What does Ned's mother do when Will tells her about Ned's death?
5. How are people identified in the nursing home?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Will attribute Cassie's aloof demeanor?
2. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
3. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
4. What was the purpose of the trip the family made in a new Model T Ford?
5. Why is Lucy's wedding night especially difficult for Lucy on two levels?
6. Who is the only man that Lucy likes in the nursing home?
7. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
8. What is Will's behavior at the site where Ned was killed?
9. What is the irony of Sal Smith's situation when Will sees him again many years later?
10. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lucy Marsden. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the early to mid 20th century when Lucy is living her life. How did women's roles evolve? What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)