|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Cassie NOT provide for Lucy's bathing?
2. Who is Captain Marsden?
3. Will and Lucy stay at a hotel near _____________ on their honeymoon.
4. What is the name of the area where the freed slaves camp in Falls?
5. How long has Lucy lived at the nursing home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
2. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
3. To what does Will attribute Cassie's aloof demeanor?
4. What is Will's behavior at the site where Ned was killed?
5. What role do soap operas play in the nursing home where Lucy lives now?
6. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
7. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
8. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
9. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
10. How old are Lucy and Will when they meet and begin a courtship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL is a classic historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Will Marsden. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)