|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Marsden's first name?
2. In what subject is Professor Taw interested?
3. What game did Lady Marsden play with the slaves?
4. What does the Captain do during the night?
5. What town was Ned Smythe from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Will's behavior at the site where Ned was killed?
2. Why does Lucy allow Will to tell his war stories to the children in spite of her objection to them?
3. Why is Lucy concerned for Will during the family's trip to view Civil War sites?
4. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
5. Who is Sal Smith and what role did he play in Will's life during the war?
6. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
7. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
8. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
9. What is the irony of Sal Smith's situation when Will sees him again many years later?
10. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gurganus uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe some situation or location in the book using only your recall of Gurganus' descriptions.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Lucy Marsden. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)