|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucy begin to worry about Will?
2. Will and Lucy stay at a hotel near _____________ on their honeymoon.
3. What happens when Will gets closer to the places with the most painful memories?
4. What is Lucy's last name?
5. Lucy once follows Cassie ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
2. How old are Lucy and Will when they meet and begin a courtship?
3. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
4. How does the novel begin?
5. What is Will's behavior at the site where Ned was killed?
6. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
7. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
8. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
9. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
10. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gurganus uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe some situation or location in the book using only your recall of Gurganus' descriptions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Gurganus' writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lucy Marsden. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)