|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Castalia?
2. Lady Marsden was known to be a master at _________________.
3. What was the name of Lady Marsden's mansion?
4. Where did the boy in #9 die?
5. Will is nearly __________ when he marries Lucy.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
2. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
3. How does the novel begin?
4. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
5. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
6. Why is Lucy concerned for Will during the family's trip to view Civil War sites?
7. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
8. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
9. Why is Lucy's wedding night especially difficult for Lucy on two levels?
10. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
How does Gurganus use the literary technique of local color in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Falls establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lucy Marsden. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)