|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many farms does Will own?
2. How old is Lucy at the beginning of the novel?
3. What is Lucy's last name?
4. Which of the following is NOT an item the slaves leave with Lady Marsden before they go?
5. What happens to Will a few months after the return from the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
2. What is Will's behavior at the site where Ned was killed?
3. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
4. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
5. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
6. Why is Lucy's wedding night especially difficult for Lucy on two levels?
7. What role do soap operas play in the nursing home where Lucy lives now?
8. Who is Sal Smith and what role did he play in Will's life during the war?
9. What is the premise of OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL?
10. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the story and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lucy Marsden. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)