|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quirky thing did Ned's mother do two days after learning of his death?
2. Why could Will not send the item in #49 to the family of the dead Union soldier?
3. What is Will's demeanor on the way home from the trip?
4. How long has Lucy lived at the nursing home?
5. In what state is the town in #15 located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will behave when he returns home after Ned's accident?
2. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
3. What lie does Ned tell his mother and what did he actually do?
4. Describe the situation when Lucy takes Will one last time to see the lake where Ned was killed.
5. What does Lucy see on her airplane ride that gives her closure to the war and her life with Will?
6. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
7. What role do soap operas play in the nursing home where Lucy lives now?
8. What is Lucy's life like now that Will is senile?
9. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
10. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gurganus use the literary technique of local color in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Falls establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,665 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)