Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cap and Lucy purchase at Hodgepath's?
2. Where did Will and his mother often have picnics?
3. Where did the boy in #9 die?
4. Cassie tells Lucy that Lucy doesn't know how to be _____________.
5. Who is the other slave who helps get Lady Marsden out of her home when Sherman's army arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
2. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
3. Describe the situation when Lucy takes Will one last time to see the lake where Ned was killed.
4. Who is Sal Smith and what role did he play in Will's life during the war?
5. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
6. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
7. What prevents Lucy from leaving with the children?
8. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
9. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
10. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
Explain the role of women in the early to mid 20th century when Lucy is living her life. How did women's roles evolve? What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not?
What is the point of view of the novel? Why did Gurganus choose to write the story from this perspective? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)