|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cap and Lucy purchase at Hodgepath's?
2. Where did Will and his mother often have picnics?
3. Where did the boy in #9 die?
4. Cassie tells Lucy that Lucy doesn't know how to be _____________.
5. Who is the other slave who helps get Lady Marsden out of her home when Sherman's army arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baby try to re-pay her mother for swallowing the diamond ring?
2. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
3. Describe the situation when Lucy takes Will one last time to see the lake where Ned was killed.
4. Who is Sal Smith and what role did he play in Will's life during the war?
5. What decision does Lucy make after she has been home again for a few weeks?
6. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
7. What prevents Lucy from leaving with the children?
8. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
9. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
10. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Gurganus use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)