|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Lady Marsden's mansion?
2. To what rank has Will promoted himself in his war stories by the time he is 36?
3. Where does Lucy tell Will she and the children will wait for him at the lake?
4. What does Lucy start to do in the afternoons?
5. What is the nature of Cap's business?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Will attribute Cassie's aloof demeanor?
2. What role do soap operas play in the nursing home where Lucy lives now?
3. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
4. What is the premise of OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL?
5. Why does Lucy allow Will to tell his war stories to the children in spite of her objection to them?
6. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
7. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
8. What is the irony of Sal Smith's situation when Will sees him again many years later?
9. What is Will's behavior at the site where Ned was killed?
10. Who was Ned Smythe and what was his role in Willie's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the early to mid 20th century when Lucy is living her life. How did women's roles evolve? What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)