|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an item the slaves leave with Lady Marsden before they go?
2. Who was the nursing home director that Lucy liked?
3. What notable thing does Will comment on about his friend, Ned?
4. How long has Lucy lived at the nursing home?
5. What town was Ned Smythe from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
2. Why is Lucy's wedding night especially difficult for Lucy on two levels?
3. Why do most of the slaves remain at The Lilacs even after they are freed?
4. Who is the only man that Lucy likes in the nursing home?
5. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
6. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
7. How does the novel begin?
8. What is Will's behavior at the site where Ned was killed?
9. Who is Sal Smith and what role did he play in Will's life during the war?
10. Why is Lucy concerned for Will during the family's trip to view Civil War sites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the point of view of the novel? Why did Gurganus choose to write the story from this perspective? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)