|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quirky thing did Ned's mother do two days after learning of his death?
2. Lucy is pregnant with her _____________ child during the family road trip.
3. Where does Will keep the watch until it is safe to deliver it?
4. Will seems to be still scared from the war even though it ended over ___________ years ago.
5. What happens when Will gets closer to the places with the most painful memories?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
2. Why is Lucy concerned for Will during the family's trip to view Civil War sites?
3. Why is Lucy's wedding night especially difficult for Lucy on two levels?
4. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
5. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
6. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
7. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
8. To what does Will attribute Cassie's aloof demeanor?
9. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
10. What is the premise of OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 2
Gurganus uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe some situation or location in the book using only your recall of Gurganus' descriptions.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)