|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will do when they reach the lake where Ned was killed?
2. What is Lucy's notoriety in the nursing home?
3. In what subject is Professor Taw interested?
4. Where did the boy in #9 die?
5. Who was the Union soldier Will dragged into a ditch with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
2. Who was Ned Smythe and what was his role in Willie's life?
3. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
4. Why do most of the slaves remain at The Lilacs even after they are freed?
5. What is the irony of Sal Smith's situation when Will sees him again many years later?
6. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
7. What was the purpose of the trip the family made in a new Model T Ford?
8. What role do soap operas play in the nursing home where Lucy lives now?
9. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
10. How old are Lucy and Will when they meet and begin a courtship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Will Marsden. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL is a classic historical fiction story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)