|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lucy living at the beginning of the novel?
2. Why does Lucy begin to worry about Will?
3. Will seems to be still scared from the war even though it ended over ___________ years ago.
4. What game did Lady Marsden play with the slaves?
5. Where did Will and his mother often have picnics?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
2. Describe Lucy's success at teaching Sunday School
3. Why do most of the slaves remain at The Lilacs even after they are freed?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
5. How does Will behave when he returns home after Ned's accident?
6. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
7. Describe how Cassie and her family members were taken aboard the big boat in Africa.
8. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
9. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
10. What is Will's behavior at the site where Ned was killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lucy Marsden. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Gurganus' writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL.
This section contains 1,679 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)