|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Lucy's father give her?
2. Where does Lucy tell Will she and the children will wait for him at the lake?
3. To what state does Will travel to tell the Union soldier's family about his death?
4. Why do the slaves remain at The Lilacs for awhile?
5. What does the Captain do during the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Ned Smythe and what was his role in Willie's life?
2. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
3. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
4. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
5. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
6. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
7. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
8. Who is Sal Smith and what role did he play in Will's life during the war?
9. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
10. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Will Marsden. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Gurganus is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)