|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy start to do in the afternoons?
2. In what subject is Professor Taw interested?
3. What does Will purchase when he returns home from visiting the Utts?
4. What item did Will get from a dying Union soldier?
5. Will is nearly __________ when he marries Lucy.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lucy allow Will to tell his war stories to the children in spite of her objection to them?
2. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
3. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
4. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
5. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
6. Who is the only man that Lucy likes in the nursing home?
7. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
8. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
9. Why is Lucy's wedding night especially difficult for Lucy on two levels?
10. To what does Will attribute Cassie's aloof demeanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Cassie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the story and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Gurganus is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)