|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cap tell Lucy to summon Cassie?
2. What did Lucy object to Will doing with the children?
3. What nickname does Lucy's father give her?
4. Lucy says that there aren't many _____________ at the nursing home.
5. What is the nature of Cap's business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL?
2. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
3. Who is Sal Smith and what role did he play in Will's life during the war?
4. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
5. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
6. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
7. Why is Lucy's wedding night especially difficult for Lucy on two levels?
8. What is the irony of Sal Smith's situation when Will sees him again many years later?
9. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
10. Why do most of the slaves remain at The Lilacs even after they are freed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the story and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings created during the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of the novel? Why did Gurganus choose to write the story from this perspective? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)