|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Will and his mother often have picnics?
2. Who was the Union soldier Will dragged into a ditch with him?
3. Lucy says that there aren't many _____________ at the nursing home.
4. What nickname does Lucy's father give her?
5. Which of the following is NOT an item the slaves leave with Lady Marsden before they go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
2. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
3. What is the premise of OLDEST LIVING CONFEDERATE WIDOW TELLS ALL?
4. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
5. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
6. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
7. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
8. To what does Will attribute Cassie's aloof demeanor?
9. Why is Lucy concerned for Will during the family's trip to view Civil War sites?
10. What is the irony of Sal Smith's situation when Will sees him again many years later?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Will Marsden. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether Will was a victim of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. What are the symptoms of this disorder? What behaviors haunted Will for the rest of his life after his service in the Civil War? What do you think people called this disorder which was not formally recognized at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)