|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maimie kill herself?
(a) Slits her wrist.
(b) Hangs herself.
(c) Drowns in the river.
(d) Shoots herself.
2. Why does Will refuse any rides on his way home?
(a) He is afraid Union soldiers might want to take some revenge on him.
(b) He does not encounter anyone who offers him a ride.
(c) He is frightened of strangers.
(d) He wants to be able to tell people that he walked all the way home from Appomattox.
3. What does Will do with the musket with which he killed men?
(a) He melts it down.
(b) He buries it.
(c) He sells it.
(d) He gives it away.
4. What job does Cassie's mother have to do when sold to the Marsdens?
(a) Teach the children.
(b) Beat the rugs.
(c) Wash dishes.
(d) Raise the chickens.
5. What was Lucy's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy tells one of Will's stories about Unison Randolph who was ___________ at the time of the story.
2. What kind of animals does Cassie raise?
3. Why do Lucy's children like going to Cassie's house?
4. What is the state of Will's popularity in the South now?
5. What lie does Ned tell Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
2. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
3. How does Lieutenant Prothero behave inappropriately toward Unison Randolph?
4. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
5. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
6. How do Lucy's children feel about Cassie in their lives?
7. What are the circumstances of the death of Lucy and Will's baby, Archie?
8. Why did Bianca try to push Lucy toward social refinement and how did Lucy feel about it?
9. Who is Maimie L. Beech?
10. What prevents Lucy from leaving with the children?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)