|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Cassie's mother do in the root cellar?
(a) Tried to dig a tunnel.
(b) Hanged herself.
(c) Slit her wrist.
(d) Carved a drawing on the wall.
2. What happened to Ned on the hunting trip?
(a) He was blinded by a gunshot.
(b) He fell and broke his leg.
(c) He shot a deer.
(d) He got caught in a trap.
3. What city did the woman in the train station come from?
4. What is Lucy cooking when her neighbor, Ruth, comes to tell her that she has a phone call?
(a) Potato salad.
(b) Rice and beans.
(c) Chocolate cake.
(d) Lamb chops.
5. What does Lucy plan to do when Will returns from the hunting trip?
(a) Make him burn all his guns.
(b) Have him arrested.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Go to the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom were Lucy and Will's children named?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the items that Lieutenant Prothero brings with him?
3. Where does Baby plan to run away to?
4. What does Will do with the musket with which he killed men?
5. How do the Marsdens lose a sizable amount of money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Lucy is weary of Will's war stories?
2. What story does Lady Marsden ask Cassie to tell as they wait for Sherman's troops to arrive?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
4. What does Lucy do when she learns that Ned has been blinded in a hunting accident?
5. How does Will behave when he returns home after Ned's accident?
6. What role does Will have in the annual parade of the Daughters of the Confederacy in Raleigh?
7. Why does Maimie decide to kill herself?
8. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
9. What are the circumstances in which Maimie is terminated by Angus McCloud?
10. What lie does Ned tell his mother and what did he actually do?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)