|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned's mother do when Will tells her about Ned's death?
(b) Calls him a liar.
(c) Hugs him.
(d) Throws plates at him.
2. Who is the other slave who helps get Lady Marsden out of her home when Sherman's army arrives?
3. What was the name of Lady Marsden's mansion?
(a) The Oaks.
(b) The Gables.
(c) The Lilacs.
(d) Belle Rieve.
4. What does Will purchase when he returns home from visiting the Utts?
(a) More livestock.
(b) A new house.
(c) A new wardrobe.
(d) A Swiss watch.
5. Lucy once follows Cassie ____________________.
(a) on her shopping day.
(b) to the cemetery.
(c) to her mother's house.
(d) to church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Union soldier Will dragged into a ditch with him?
2. What is the name of the area where the freed slaves camp in Falls?
3. How ole is Lucy when she marries Will?
4. Who is Captain Marsden?
5. What notable thing does Will comment on about his friend, Ned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
2. How old was Willie when he became a soldier and how did the war affect him?
3. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
4. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
5. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
6. Why do most of the slaves remain at The Lilacs even after they are freed?
7. What role do soap operas play in the nursing home where Lucy lives now?
8. What is the irony of Sal Smith's situation when Will sees him again many years later?
9. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
10. Who was Ned Smythe and what was his role in Willie's life?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)