|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ned's mother do when Will tells her about Ned's death?
(b) Calls him a liar.
(c) Hugs him.
(d) Throws plates at him.
2. What happens to Will a few months after the return from the trip?
(a) He has a heart attack.
(b) He breaks his hip.
(c) He won't get out of bed.
(d) His hair turns white.
3. Lucy says that there aren't many _____________ at the nursing home.
(a) working TVs.
(d) good days.
4. What does Will do when they reach the lake where Ned was killed?
(a) Cries hysterically.
(b) Lies on the ground for hours.
(c) Swims in the lake.
(d) Sits in a tree.
5. What game did Lady Marsden play with the slaves?
(a) Dodge Ball.
(b) Hide and Seek.
(d) Red Rover.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are people identified in the nursing home?
2. As a school girl, what topic does Lucy choose to write on regarding the Civil War?
3. Who is Castalia?
4. Where is Lucy living at the beginning of the novel?
5. What did Lucy object to Will doing with the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the diamond ring that Baby swallowed?
2. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
3. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
4. Describe Will's journey home after the end of the war.
5. What is the irony of Sal Smith's situation when Will sees him again many years later?
6. Why is Lucy's wedding night especially difficult for Lucy on two levels?
7. What was the purpose of the trip the family made in a new Model T Ford?
8. Why is Will not interested in seeing General Lee during the surrender at Appomattox?
9. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
10. Why does Maimie decide to kill herself?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)