|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Lucy living at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A nursing home.
(b) Her own home.
(c) A convent.
(d) Her daughter's home.
2. As a school girl, what topic does Lucy choose to write on regarding the Civil War?
(a) Lady Marsden.
(c) Medical practices.
3. Cassie tells Lucy that Lucy doesn't know how to be _____________.
(a) a mother.
(b) a boss.
(c) a friend.
(d) a wife.
4. Who was the Union soldier Will dragged into a ditch with him?
(a) Samuel Morgan.
(b) Simon Utt.
(c) James Hall.
(d) Marcus Whittington.
5. How does Ned's mother learn of his death?
(a) Visit from Sergeant.
(b) List posted in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ned's mother not do after Ned went to war?
2. What is the name of the nursing home where Lucy lives?
3. Will seems to be still scared from the war even though it ended over ___________ years ago.
4. Who is Castalia?
5. Who was the man who saved Will's leg during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
2. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
3. Who was Ned Smythe and what was his role in Willie's life?
4. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
5. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
6. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
7. Who is Sal Smith and what role did he play in Will's life during the war?
8. How does Lucy first meet Castalia?
9. How does the novel begin?
10. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)