|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Lady Marsden's mansion?
(a) The Oaks.
(b) The Gables.
(c) Belle Rieve.
(d) The Lilacs.
2. In what state is the town in #15 located?
(a) North Carolina.
(c) South Carolina.
3. Cassie tells Lucy that Lucy doesn't know how to be _____________.
(a) a wife.
(b) a mother.
(c) a friend.
(d) a boss.
4. What name does Lucy call Willie?
(b) Sir Willie.
5. What is Lucy's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. As a school girl, what topic does Lucy choose to write on regarding the Civil War?
2. What item did Will get from a dying Union soldier?
3. Where does Will keep his gun collection?
4. How long do the slaves from The Lilacs remain after the fire?
5. What quirky thing did Ned's mother do two days after learning of his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
2. How does the novel begin?
3. How old are Lucy and Will when they meet and begin a courtship?
4. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
5. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
6. Why does Lucy allow Will to tell his war stories to the children in spite of her objection to them?
7. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
8. To what does Will attribute Cassie's aloof demeanor?
9. Why is Lucy concerned for Will during the family's trip to view Civil War sites?
10. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)