|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Will do when they reach the lake where Ned was killed?
(a) Cries hysterically.
(b) Sits in a tree.
(c) Swims in the lake.
(d) Lies on the ground for hours.
2. Who was Ned Smythe's mother?
3. Where does Lucy tell Will she and the children will wait for him at the lake?
(a) At the motel.
(b) In the car.
(c) In their cabin.
(d) At a diner.
4. Why could Will not send the item in #49 to the family of the dead Union soldier?
(a) He did not have the address.
(b) It was too big to package.
(c) He could not send a package to a Northern address.
(d) There were no post offices around.
5. As a school girl, what topic does Lucy choose to write on regarding the Civil War?
(a) Medical practices.
(b) Lady Marsden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Will gets closer to the places with the most painful memories?
2. What item did Will get from a dying Union soldier?
3. What is the name of the part of town where Cassie lives?
4. How does Ned's mother learn of his death?
5. Where does Cap drive the family in the new car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
2. What is the irony of Sal Smith's situation when Will sees him again many years later?
3. How does Ned's mother react when Will visits her to talk about Ned's death?
4. What role do soap operas play in the nursing home where Lucy lives now?
5. How did Ned Smythe's mother react to news of his death?
6. Why does Lucy allow Will to tell his war stories to the children in spite of her objection to them?
7. How old are Lucy and Will when they meet and begin a courtship?
8. Even though Lucy is younger than Will, how does she view him regarding his emotional war wounds?
9. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
10. How did Will become famous for telling his war stories?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)