|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ned's mother learn of his death?
(a) Visit from Sergeant.
(d) List posted in town.
2. What is the nature of Cap's business?
3. Why could Will not send the item in #49 to the family of the dead Union soldier?
(a) He did not have the address.
(b) There were no post offices around.
(c) He could not send a package to a Northern address.
(d) It was too big to package.
4. What does Cassie prepare for Lucy for breakfast?
(b) French toast.
(c) An omelet.
5. What was the name of Lady Marsden's mansion?
(a) The Gables.
(b) Belle Rieve.
(c) The Oaks.
(d) The Lilacs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Lucy's father give her?
2. What do Cap and Lucy purchase at Hodgepath's?
3. Who is Castalia?
4. Lucy is pregnant with her _____________ child during the family road trip.
5. Where does Cassie plan to go when she leaves The Lilacs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Ned Smythe and what was his role in Willie's life?
2. Who is the only man that Lucy likes in the nursing home?
3. Why does Will terminate Cassie?
4. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
5. How does the novel begin?
6. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
7. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
8. What is the initial relationship between Lucy and Castalia (Cassie)?
9. Which person does Lucy select as the topic of her paper on the Civil War, and how does she glean her information?
10. Who was Lady Marsden and what were some of the things she was noted for?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)