|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the area where the freed slaves camp in Falls?
(a) Baby Africa.
(b) Freedom City.
(c) Hallelujah Trail.
(d) Sherman's City.
2. What is the name of the part of town where Cassie lives?
(a) Urban Ghetto.
(b) Baby Africa.
(c) Hell's Kitchen.
3. Who is Captain Marsden?
(a) Lucy's brother.
(b) Lucy's husband.
(c) Lucy's father.
(d) Lucy's former beau.
4. What did Lucy object to Will doing with the children?
(a) Playing dodge ball with them.
(b) Having races with them.
(c) Their homework.
(d) Telling them war stories.
5. Where did the boy in #9 die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Castalia?
2. What does the Captain do during the night?
3. What item did Will get from a dying Union soldier?
4. Who is burned in the fiery destruction of The Lilacs?
5. What is Castalia's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lucy's life like now that Will is senile?
2. Why did Will make the trip to Massachusetts to meet with Simon Utts' family?
3. How do Will's financial decisions make the family vulnerable?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Ned in this section?
5. How did the slaves treat Lady Marsden after she was burned in the fire at The Lilacs?
6. Why does Lucy decide to leave her family and what gives her validation on her decision?
7. What story does Lady Marsden ask Cassie to tell as they wait for Sherman's troops to arrive?
8. What was the purpose of the trip the family made in a new Model T Ford?
9. How does the novel begin?
10. What physical and emotional changes occur in Will after visiting the lake where Ned was killed?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)