* Lucy Marsden is the widow of the last surviving soldier of the Civil War.
* Lucy thinks of the death of her husband, Will, and how she likes how quiet the house is now.
* In the present, Lucy is ninety-nine years old and lives in a rest home where people come to see her to hear her stories as the oldest living Confederate widow.
* Lucy tells the story of the death of her husband's friend, Ned Smythe, at Appomattox.
* Ned was shot while swimming and drowned; Will tried to save him but he was already dead.
* All of Lucy's children are now dead, as she has outlived them all.
* Will hardened after Ned's death and he walked all the way home after the end of the war.
* Will and his mother were forced to stay in rented rooms since their farm, The Lilacs, had been...
This section contains 2,015 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)