|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
2. How does Travis propose getting Old Yeller home?
3. What does Mama use as a poultice for Travis' wound?
4. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
5. What do Mama and Travis do when Jumper is unable to move the dead animal?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Travis reveals his view of what a man should be.
1) Summarize the belief Travis has of his view of a man affects the way he lives and the things he does.
2) How do his actions of trying to be a man affect the way the other characters in the novel view him?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Travis grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward Old Yeller?
3) How does his attitude change about what is important in his life?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of responsibility in the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Travis' coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in each chapter of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from the boy when his Papa leaves to the young man at the end of the novel?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Travis goes through from different events in the novel.
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)