|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama use to give water to Old Yeller?
2. What does Mama use as a poultice for Travis' wound?
3. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
4. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
5. When does Travis become uneasy about why Mama and Lisbeth haven't returned home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize what Mama must do while Travis is recuperating.
2. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
3. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
4. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
5. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
6. Explain why Travis can't sleep the night Burn Sanderson leaves.
7. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
8. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
9. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
10. Describe what Mama does to treat Travis' wound.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how Papa's words," A man can't afford to waste the good parts of life, worrying about the bad parts. That makes it all bad..." relate to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama.
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize the impact Old Yeller and Travis have on each other's lives.
2) What is involved in the relationship of the boy and his dog?
3) How does the relationship of a boy and his dog by today's standards differ from those of Travis and Old Yeller?
4)Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the character of Little Arliss regarding his passion for the things he cares about.
2) How does Arliss react to most situations when he feels he is a victim of injustice? Cite examples from the novel.
3) What is Little Arliss' solution to protecting those he loves? Describe his selflessness during these situations.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)