|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Travis become uneasy about why Mama and Lisbeth haven't returned home?
2. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
3. What happens to Travis when he falls into the killer hogs?
4. What does Papa compare training the mind to handle fear with?
5. Why does Mama decide that the Spot heifer must be killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Travis and Old Yeller head out to bat cave country.
2. Describe the condition of the roan bull who wanders around the cabin.
3. Explain why Travis can't sleep the night Burn Sanderson leaves.
4. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
5. Describe the battle that ensues between Old Yeller and the hogs.
6. Why is Travis worried when wakes up from his nap?
7. Summarize what Mama must do while Travis is recuperating.
8. Describe what Lisbeth does while staying with Travis and his family.
9. Describe what Mama does to treat Travis' wound.
10. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Travis reveals his view of what a man should be.
1) Summarize the belief Travis has of his view of a man affects the way he lives and the things he does.
2) How do his actions of trying to be a man affect the way the other characters in the novel view him?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Travis' coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in each chapter of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from the boy when his Papa leaves to the young man at the end of the novel?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Travis goes through from different events in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Fred Gipson uses local color and imagery to describe the cabin and Birdsong Creek.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the interior and exterior of the cabin, the area around Birdsong Creek, and the places Travis and Old Yeller travel during the novel.
3) How does the imagery Gipson uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cabin and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)