|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Travis feel when Lisbeth and Little Arliss walk past his door?
2. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
3. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
4. Where does Travis' family keep their hogs and cattle?
5. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
2. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
3. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
4. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
5. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
6. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
7. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
8. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
9. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
10. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Travis reveals his view of what a man should be.
1) Summarize the belief Travis has of his view of a man affects the way he lives and the things he does.
2) How do his actions of trying to be a man affect the way the other characters in the novel view him?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Little Arliss regarding his passion for the things he cares about.
2) How does Arliss react to most situations when he feels he is a victim of injustice? Cite examples from the novel.
3) What is Little Arliss' solution to protecting those he loves? Describe his selflessness during these situations.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)