|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How bad is the wound inflicted on Travis by the hogs?
2. How does Old Yeller save Travis from the hogs?
3. Why does Bud Searcy leave Lisbeth behind with Mama?
4. What does Travis decide is a good place to shoot Spot?
5. What is the trouble that Travis thinks is too big for any of them to handle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Travis worried when wakes up from his nap?
2. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
3. Summarize what Mama must do while Travis is recuperating.
4. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
5. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
6. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
7. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
8. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
9. Describe what Mama does to treat Travis' wound.
10. Explain why Travis can't sleep the night Burn Sanderson leaves.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his brother, Little Arliss.
2) How does Old Yeller affect their relationship with one another?
3) What event changes the way Travis views his brother and how he feels about him?
Give examples from the novel of the interaction between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Mama tends to the people in her care.
1) Describe two situations in the novel when characters rely upon Mama to help them or take care of them.
2) What does Mama have at her disposal to use in her role as caregiver, healer, and comforter?
3) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)