|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
2. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
3. Why does Travis hate gathering corn?
4. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
5. Where does Travis' family keep their hogs and cattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Travis' reaction when Lisbeth bring him a puppy as a gift.
2. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
3. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
4. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
5. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
6. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
7. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
8. Describe what Travis sees after he builds a small fire out of bear grass.
9. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
10. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Travis grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward Old Yeller?
3) How does his attitude change about what is important in his life?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of responsibility in the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Little Arliss regarding his passion for the things he cares about.
2) How does Arliss react to most situations when he feels he is a victim of injustice? Cite examples from the novel.
3) What is Little Arliss' solution to protecting those he loves? Describe his selflessness during these situations.
Essay Topic 3
Old Yeller is a constant throughout the novel. He is mentioned from the very first chapter to the last chapter.
1) Explain the different images Gipson gives of Old Yeller as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of Old Yeller's character in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does Old Yeller have for Little Arliss, Travis, and Mama?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)