|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do as she is about to remove Old Yeller's bandage?
2. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
3. What does Mama say about Lisbeth staying with her?
4. How does Old Yeller get into the fight with the loafer wolf?
5. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
2. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
3. Why is Travis worried when wakes up from his nap?
4. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
5. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
6. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
7. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
8. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
9. Describe what Mama does to treat Travis' wound.
10. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Gipson is trying to convey about life after the Civil War in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Coates' family and neighbors?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Travis grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward Old Yeller?
3) How does his attitude change about what is important in his life?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of responsibility in the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the impact Old Yeller and Travis have on each other's lives.
2) What is involved in the relationship of the boy and his dog?
3) How does the relationship of a boy and his dog by today's standards differ from those of Travis and Old Yeller?
4)Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)