|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
2. When does Travis shoot the loafer wolf?
3. What are the marks that Travis makes on the hogs?
4. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
5. What did Travis see on the face of a cliff at Salt Branch that impressed him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
2. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
3. What happens to Travis as he is marking the hogs?
4. Describe what Mama does to treat Travis' wound.
5. Describe what Travis sees after he builds a small fire out of bear grass.
6. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
7. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
8. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
9. Describe what Lisbeth does while staying with Travis and his family.
10. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Hydrophobia is first mentioned when Bud Searcy visits Travis' family and talks about his uncle's death from the disease.
1) Explain Travis' reaction to the mention of hydrophobia.
2) Analyze the difference in Travis' thoughts about hydrophobia as he becomes more familiar with its symptoms and the devastating effect it has on those who contract the disease.
3) Use examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)