|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the hogs under Travis' limb go wild with anger.
2. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
3. What does Mama use as a poultice for Travis' wound?
4. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
5. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
2. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
3. Describe what Travis sees after he builds a small fire out of bear grass.
4. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
5. Describe the condition of the roan bull who wanders around the cabin.
6. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
7. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
8. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
9. Describe the battle that ensues between Old Yeller and the hogs.
10. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hydrophobia is first mentioned when Bud Searcy visits Travis' family and talks about his uncle's death from the disease.
1) Explain Travis' reaction to the mention of hydrophobia.
2) Analyze the difference in Travis' thoughts about hydrophobia as he becomes more familiar with its symptoms and the devastating effect it has on those who contract the disease.
3) Use examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Little Arliss regarding his passion for the things he cares about.
2) How does Arliss react to most situations when he feels he is a victim of injustice? Cite examples from the novel.
3) What is Little Arliss' solution to protecting those he loves? Describe his selflessness during these situations.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)