|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis yell for Mama to bring him?
2. When does Travis become uneasy about why Mama and Lisbeth haven't returned home?
3. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
4. Why is Travis angry that Bud Searcy comes to visit?
5. What does Travis see Mama, Little Arliss, and Lisbeth doing after they gather the corn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
2. Summarize what Mama must do while Travis is recuperating.
3. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
4. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
5. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
6. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
7. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
8. Describe the battle that ensues between Old Yeller and the hogs.
9. Describe the condition of the roan bull who wanders around the cabin.
10. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hydrophobia is first mentioned when Bud Searcy visits Travis' family and talks about his uncle's death from the disease.
1) Explain Travis' reaction to the mention of hydrophobia.
2) Analyze the difference in Travis' thoughts about hydrophobia as he becomes more familiar with its symptoms and the devastating effect it has on those who contract the disease.
3) Use examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Travis reveals his view of what a man should be.
1) Summarize the belief Travis has of his view of a man affects the way he lives and the things he does.
2) How do his actions of trying to be a man affect the way the other characters in the novel view him?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the character of Little Arliss regarding his passion for the things he cares about.
2) How does Arliss react to most situations when he feels he is a victim of injustice? Cite examples from the novel.
3) What is Little Arliss' solution to protecting those he loves? Describe his selflessness during these situations.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)