|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
2. What animal comes into the yard staggering, grunting, and moaning?
3. Why is Mama so upset that Jumper is eating the corn?
4. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
5. What does Papa compare training the mind to handle fear with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
2. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
3. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
4. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
5. Describe the battle that ensues between Old Yeller and the hogs.
6. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
7. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
8. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
9. Describe what Mama does to treat Travis' wound.
10. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his brother, Little Arliss.
2) How does Old Yeller affect their relationship with one another?
3) What event changes the way Travis views his brother and how he feels about him?
Give examples from the novel of the interaction between the two brothers.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)