|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
2. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
3. What do the hogs do if a blizzard is on the way?
4. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
5. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
2. Describe the condition of the roan bull who wanders around the cabin.
3. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
4. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
5. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
6. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
7. Summarize what Mama must do while Travis is recuperating.
8. Describe what Travis sees after he builds a small fire out of bear grass.
9. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
10. Describe Travis' reaction when Lisbeth bring him a puppy as a gift.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Mama tends to the people in her care.
1) Describe two situations in the novel when characters rely upon Mama to help them or take care of them.
2) What does Mama have at her disposal to use in her role as caregiver, healer, and comforter?
3) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an introduction for the novel discussing Fred Gipson's writing style, use of dialogue, imagery, and the point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)