|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Travis keep a piece of ear from every marked pig hanging in the corn crib?
2. What prevents the animal sick with hydrophobia from getting Mama?
3. How does Travis hide Old Yeller while he runs home to get help?
4. What does Old Yeller do while Mama stitches his wound?
5. What does Old Yeller do when Travis reaches for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
2. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
3. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
4. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
5. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
6. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
7. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
8. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
9. What happens to Travis as he is marking the hogs?
10. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Gipson is trying to convey about life after the Civil War in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Coates' family and neighbors?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Travis grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward Old Yeller?
3) How does his attitude change about what is important in his life?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of responsibility in the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)