|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
2. How does Old Yeller react to the animal that comes into the yard?
3. Why can't Travis sleep on the night that Sanderson tells him about hydrophobia?
4. What does Travis do to the hydrophobia stricken animal?
5. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
2. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
3. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
4. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
5. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
6. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
7. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
8. Describe what Mama does to treat Travis' wound.
9. Describe what Travis sees after he builds a small fire out of bear grass.
10. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his brother, Little Arliss.
2) How does Old Yeller affect their relationship with one another?
3) What event changes the way Travis views his brother and how he feels about him?
Give examples from the novel of the interaction between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Mama tends to the people in her care.
1) Describe two situations in the novel when characters rely upon Mama to help them or take care of them.
2) What does Mama have at her disposal to use in her role as caregiver, healer, and comforter?
3) Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)