|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the puppy look like that Lisbeth shows to Travis?
2. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
3. Why doesn't Mama want the buzzards to eat the dead animal?
4. What are the marks that Travis makes on the hogs?
5. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
2. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
3. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
4. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
5. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
6. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
7. Describe what Lisbeth does while staying with Travis and his family.
8. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
9. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
10. What happens to Travis as he is marking the hogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Travis' struggles with having to deal with such extreme responsibilities at such a young age.
2) Discuss the courage he displays in each of the violent situations he finds himself involved in.
3) How does Old Yeller help him find the courage he needs to protect his family? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the impact Old Yeller and Travis have on each other's lives.
2) What is involved in the relationship of the boy and his dog?
3) How does the relationship of a boy and his dog by today's standards differ from those of Travis and Old Yeller?
4)Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)