|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the hogs become the most vicious?
2. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
3. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
4. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
5. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
2. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
3. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
4. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
5. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
6. Describe Travis' reaction when Lisbeth bring him a puppy as a gift.
7. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
8. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
9. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
10. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Fred Gipson uses local color and imagery to describe the cabin and Birdsong Creek.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the interior and exterior of the cabin, the area around Birdsong Creek, and the places Travis and Old Yeller travel during the novel.
3) How does the imagery Gipson uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cabin and surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
1) Write an introduction for the novel discussing Fred Gipson's writing style, use of dialogue, imagery, and the point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)