|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do as she is about to remove Old Yeller's bandage?
2. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
3. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
4. What does Papa tell Travis about what he had to do to Old Yeller?
5. What does Mama use as a poultice for Travis' wound?
Essay Topic 1
Old Yeller is a constant throughout the novel. He is mentioned from the very first chapter to the last chapter.
1) Explain the different images Gipson gives of Old Yeller as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of Old Yeller's character in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does Old Yeller have for Little Arliss, Travis, and Mama?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his brother, Little Arliss.
2) How does Old Yeller affect their relationship with one another?
3) What event changes the way Travis views his brother and how he feels about him?
Give examples from the novel of the interaction between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 3
1) What is the message Gipson is trying to convey about life after the Civil War in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Coates' family and neighbors?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
This section contains 1,470 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)