|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Travis hide Old Yeller while he runs home to get help?
2. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
3. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
4. How much longer will Papa be away?
5. What did Travis see on the face of a cliff at Salt Branch that impressed him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
2. Explain why Travis and Old Yeller head out to bat cave country.
3. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
4. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
5. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
6. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
7. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
8. Describe what Mama does to treat Travis' wound.
9. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
10. Describe what Lisbeth does while staying with Travis and his family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Travis and Lisbeth have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are visiting.
2) Are their emotions authentic for their ages?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel when Lisbeth is staying at Travis' house.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)