|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
2. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
3. What does Old Yeller do while Mama stitches his wound?
4. What does the puppy look like that Lisbeth shows to Travis?
5. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
2. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
3. Describe what Travis sees after he builds a small fire out of bear grass.
4. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
5. What happens to Travis as he is marking the hogs?
6. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
7. Summarize what Mama must do while Travis is recuperating.
8. Explain why Travis and Old Yeller head out to bat cave country.
9. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
10. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Fred Gipson uses local color and imagery to describe the cabin and Birdsong Creek.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the interior and exterior of the cabin, the area around Birdsong Creek, and the places Travis and Old Yeller travel during the novel.
3) How does the imagery Gipson uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cabin and surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)