|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer will Papa be away?
2. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
3. Why does Travis hate gathering corn?
4. What is Travis excited about Papa bringing home for him?
5. What does Travis decide is a good place to shoot Spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
2. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
3. Explain why Travis and Old Yeller head out to bat cave country.
4. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
5. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
6. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
7. Describe what Travis sees after he builds a small fire out of bear grass.
8. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
9. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
10. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Hydrophobia is first mentioned when Bud Searcy visits Travis' family and talks about his uncle's death from the disease.
1) Explain Travis' reaction to the mention of hydrophobia.
2) Analyze the difference in Travis' thoughts about hydrophobia as he becomes more familiar with its symptoms and the devastating effect it has on those who contract the disease.
3) Use examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Fred Gipson uses local color and imagery to describe the cabin and Birdsong Creek.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the interior and exterior of the cabin, the area around Birdsong Creek, and the places Travis and Old Yeller travel during the novel.
3) How does the imagery Gipson uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cabin and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)