|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis do while Mama, Lisbeth, and Old Yeller go to burn Spot?
2. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
3. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
4. What lives in one of Travis' favorite places, down in a deep canyon which is bent in the shape of a horseshoe?
5. How does Old Yeller save Travis from the hogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
2. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
3. Why is Travis worried when wakes up from his nap?
4. Describe Travis' reaction when Lisbeth bring him a puppy as a gift.
5. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
6. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
7. Explain why Travis and Old Yeller head out to bat cave country.
8. Describe what Travis sees after he builds a small fire out of bear grass.
9. What happens to Travis as he is marking the hogs?
10. Describe what Lisbeth does while staying with Travis and his family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the events leading up to Old Yeller's death at the end of the novel.
2) Describe the symptoms and dangers of hydrophobia as seen in the novel.
3) Explain if Travis had any other alternatives other than shooting Old Yeller in the head.
4) Is Travis justified in his killing of Old Yeller? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how Papa's words," A man can't afford to waste the good parts of life, worrying about the bad parts. That makes it all bad..." relate to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)