|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
2. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
3. What does Little Arliss do while Travis is in bed?
4. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
5. How does Old Yeller react to the animal that comes into the yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
2. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
3. Explain why Travis can't sleep the night Burn Sanderson leaves.
4. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
5. Describe the battle that ensues between Old Yeller and the hogs.
6. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
7. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
8. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
9. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
10. Explain why Travis and Old Yeller head out to bat cave country.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his brother, Little Arliss.
2) How does Old Yeller affect their relationship with one another?
3) What event changes the way Travis views his brother and how he feels about him?
Give examples from the novel of the interaction between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)