|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hogs are near the bat cave?
2. What do the hogs do if a blizzard is on the way?
3. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
4. Why does Travis keep a piece of ear from every marked pig hanging in the corn crib?
5. What does Papa compare training the mind to handle fear with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Travis' reaction when Lisbeth bring him a puppy as a gift.
2. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
3. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
4. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
5. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
6. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
7. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
8. Describe what Lisbeth does while staying with Travis and his family.
9. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
10. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how Papa's words," A man can't afford to waste the good parts of life, worrying about the bad parts. That makes it all bad..." relate to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)