|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How bad is the wound inflicted on Travis by the hogs?
2. How does Travis shoot Old Yeller?
3. How does Travis know that he is near the hogs?
4. What prevents the animal sick with hydrophobia from getting Mama?
5. When do the hogs become the most vicious?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Travis reveals his view of what a man should be.
1) Summarize the belief Travis has of his view of a man affects the way he lives and the things he does.
2) How do his actions of trying to be a man affect the way the other characters in the novel view him?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
This section contains 1,415 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)