|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
2. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
3. When does Travis become uneasy about why Mama and Lisbeth haven't returned home?
4. Why doesn't Mama want the buzzards to eat the dead animal?
5. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
2. Summarize what Mama must do while Travis is recuperating.
3. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
4. Describe what Travis sees after he builds a small fire out of bear grass.
5. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
6. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
7. Describe the battle that ensues between Old Yeller and the hogs.
8. Explain why Travis can't sleep the night Burn Sanderson leaves.
9. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
10. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)