|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mama decide that the Spot heifer must be killed?
2. Why does Bud Searcy leave Lisbeth behind with Mama?
3. What is Travis' reaction to Lisbeth helping Mama with the corn?
4. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
5. Why is Travis sickened when he looks at Spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle that ensues between Old Yeller and the hogs.
2. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
3. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
4. Describe Travis' reaction when Lisbeth bring him a puppy as a gift.
5. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
6. Explain why Travis and Old Yeller head out to bat cave country.
7. Why is Travis worried when wakes up from his nap?
8. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
9. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
10. Describe Travis' state of mind after he shoots Old Yeller.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Travis' coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in each chapter of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from the boy when his Papa leaves to the young man at the end of the novel?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Travis goes through from different events in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)