|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mama so upset that Jumper is eating the corn?
2. How bad is the wound inflicted on Travis by the hogs?
3. What makes the hogs under Travis' limb go wild with anger.
4. Why is Travis angry that Bud Searcy comes to visit?
5. Why is Travis sickened when he looks at Spot?
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the character of Little Arliss regarding his passion for the things he cares about.
2) How does Arliss react to most situations when he feels he is a victim of injustice? Cite examples from the novel.
3) What is Little Arliss' solution to protecting those he loves? Describe his selflessness during these situations.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how Papa's words," A man can't afford to waste the good parts of life, worrying about the bad parts. That makes it all bad..." relate to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Travis' coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in each chapter of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from the boy when his Papa leaves to the young man at the end of the novel?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Travis goes through from different events in the novel.
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)