|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lures wolves to the cabin?
2. What does the puppy look like that Lisbeth shows to Travis?
3. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
4. What is the condition of Travis' wound by the time they arrive home?
5. What does Travis yell for Mama to bring him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition of the roan bull who wanders around the cabin.
2. Summarize the actions of Travis when he realized that the roan bull has hydrophobia.
3. Summarize how Travis and Mama get Old Yeller back to the cabin.
4. Describe the battle that ensues between Old Yeller and the hogs.
5. Describe Travis' reaction when Lisbeth bring him a puppy as a gift.
6. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
7. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
8. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
9. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
10. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an introduction for the novel discussing Fred Gipson's writing style, use of dialogue, imagery, and the point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Old Yeller is a constant throughout the novel. He is mentioned from the very first chapter to the last chapter.
1) Explain the different images Gipson gives of Old Yeller as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of Old Yeller's character in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does Old Yeller have for Little Arliss, Travis, and Mama?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Travis' coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in each chapter of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from the boy when his Papa leaves to the young man at the end of the novel?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Travis goes through from different events in the novel.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)