|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arliss start catching after Old Yeller arrives?
2. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
3. What keeps Travis and Old Yeller busy all night long?
4. How does Little Arliss act when Travis takes him squirrel hunting?
5. What is Little Arliss' reaction when they get back to the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tavis do when the bulls start fighting near the cabin?
2. Describe the agreement Little Arliss and Burn Sanderson arrange.
3. Describe the bad news that Travis and his family get after taming Spot.
4. Describe the situation that Travis sees when he hears Little Arliss screaming and runs to help him.
5. Describe the situation when Travis shoots the deer.
6. Summarize the items that Little Arliss brings home in his pockets.
7. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
8. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
9. Summarize the time Travis meets Old Yeller for the first time.
10. Explain the disturbing news that Lisbeth gives to Travis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Travis and Lisbeth have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are visiting.
2) Are their emotions authentic for their ages?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel when Lisbeth is staying at Travis' house.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Travis' coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in each chapter of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from the boy when his Papa leaves to the young man at the end of the novel?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Travis goes through from different events in the novel.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)