|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of the two bulls?
2. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
3. What are the symptoms of hydrophobia?
4. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
5. What does Little Arliss do to Sanderson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Travis can't sleep the night Burn Sanderson leaves.
2. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
3. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
4. Describe what Lisbeth does while staying with Travis and his family.
5. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
6. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
7. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
8. What happens to Travis as he is marking the hogs?
9. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
10. What does Travis discover when he returns home that makes him angry at the yeller dog again?
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Old Yeller is a constant throughout the novel. He is mentioned from the very first chapter to the last chapter.
1) Explain the different images Gipson gives of Old Yeller as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of Old Yeller's character in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does Old Yeller have for Little Arliss, Travis, and Mama?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
This section contains 1,847 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)