|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Searcy bring to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama?
2. How many cows does Travis have to milk to get enough for the family?
3. What does Old Yeller do when the bear slaps him head over heels?
4. What is the solution Travis comes up with that finally keeps Old Yeller at home during the night?
5. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the agreement Little Arliss and Burn Sanderson arrange.
2. Describe Little Arliss' reaction to Burn Sanderson's news.
3. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
4. Explain the disturbing news that Lisbeth gives to Travis.
5. Summarize the warning the Burn Sanderson gives to Travis before he rides off.
6. Explain why Travis doesn't want to shoot a javelina hog.
7. Describe the bad news that Travis and his family get after taming Spot.
8. Summarize the time Travis meets Old Yeller for the first time.
9. What does Tavis do when the bulls start fighting near the cabin?
10. Describe how Travis treats Old Yeller after the dog saves Little Arliss.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Fred Gipson uses local color and imagery to describe the cabin and Birdsong Creek.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the interior and exterior of the cabin, the area around Birdsong Creek, and the places Travis and Old Yeller travel during the novel.
3) How does the imagery Gipson uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cabin and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)