|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Travis realize how badly he needs a dog?
2. What disease does Bud Searcy hope does not spread throughout the settlement before the men get back?
3. What is a strange varmit stealing from the people in the settlement?
4. How does Travis finally shoot the turkey that he wounded in the pea garden?
5. How does Travis react to the news about hydrophobia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the agreement Little Arliss and Burn Sanderson arrange.
2. Describe the situation when Travis shoots the deer.
3. What is the reaction of Little Arliss and Mama to the big dog?
4. Describe why Travis goes to the Salt Licks to hunt for deer.
5. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
6. What does Tavis do when the bulls start fighting near the cabin?
7. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
8. Describe the situation that Travis sees when he hears Little Arliss screaming and runs to help him.
9. Summarize the warning the Burn Sanderson gives to Travis before he rides off.
10. Describe Old Yeller's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Travis and Lisbeth have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are visiting.
2) Are their emotions authentic for their ages?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel when Lisbeth is staying at Travis' house.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Travis' struggles with having to deal with such extreme responsibilities at such a young age.
2) Discuss the courage he displays in each of the violent situations he finds himself involved in.
3) How does Old Yeller help him find the courage he needs to protect his family? Explain.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)