Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the first bull become wounded in the fight?
2. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
3. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
4. How does the bull fight finally end?
5. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
2. Summarize the warning the Burn Sanderson gives to Travis before he rides off.
3. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
4. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
5. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
6. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
7. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
8. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
9. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
10. Describe what Travis reveals about his relationship with Old Yeller in the beginning of the chapter.
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Travis reveals his view of what a man should be.
1) Summarize the belief Travis has of his view of a man affects the way he lives and the things he does.
2) How do his actions of trying to be a man affect the way the other characters in the novel view him?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how Fred Gipson uses local color and imagery to describe the cabin and Birdsong Creek.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the interior and exterior of the cabin, the area around Birdsong Creek, and the places Travis and Old Yeller travel during the novel.
3) How does the imagery Gipson uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cabin and surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his brother, Little Arliss.
2) How does Old Yeller affect their relationship with one another?
3) What event changes the way Travis views his brother and how he feels about him?
Give examples from the novel of the interaction between the two brothers.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)