|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the cabin two weeks after the milking incident?
2. What news does Lisbeth tell Travis about her dog, Miss Prissy?
3. When does Travis realize how badly he needs a dog?
4. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
5. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the agreement Little Arliss and Burn Sanderson arrange.
2. Why do Travis and Old Yeller sleep in the corn patch?
3. Summarize the items that Little Arliss brings home in his pockets.
4. Describe the situation when Travis shoots the deer.
5. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
6. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
7. Describe why Travis goes to the Salt Licks to hunt for deer.
8. What is the news that Bud Searcy brings to Mama on his visit?
9. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
10. Explain why Travis' father is travelling to Abilene, leaving Travis in charge of the family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an introduction for the novel discussing Fred Gipson's writing style, use of dialogue, imagery, and the point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the message Gipson is trying to convey about life after the Civil War in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Coates' family and neighbors?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Travis grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward Old Yeller?
3) How does his attitude change about what is important in his life?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of responsibility in the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)