|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Travis' reaction to Old Yeller when the dog approaches him?
2. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
3. Why had Papa cleared out all the brush and trees from around the cabin?
4. What does Travis do as the doe keeps approaching him?
5. Who saves Little Arliss from the attacking bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Old Yeller's appearance.
2. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
3. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
4. Describe Little Arliss' reaction to Burn Sanderson's news.
5. Summarize the items that Little Arliss brings home in his pockets.
6. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
7. Explain why Travis doesn't want to shoot a javelina hog.
8. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
9. Summarize Travis' feelings for Bud Searcy's daughter, Lisbeth.
10. Explain why Travis' father is travelling to Abilene, leaving Travis in charge of the family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his brother, Little Arliss.
2) How does Old Yeller affect their relationship with one another?
3) What event changes the way Travis views his brother and how he feels about him?
Give examples from the novel of the interaction between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the character of Little Arliss regarding his passion for the things he cares about.
2) How does Arliss react to most situations when he feels he is a victim of injustice? Cite examples from the novel.
3) What is Little Arliss' solution to protecting those he loves? Describe his selflessness during these situations.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)