Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the first bull become wounded in the fight?
2. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
3. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
4. How does the bull fight finally end?
5. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
2. Summarize the warning the Burn Sanderson gives to Travis before he rides off.
3. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
4. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
5. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
6. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
7. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
8. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
9. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
10. Describe what Travis reveals about his relationship with Old Yeller in the beginning of the chapter.
1) Analyze Travis' coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in each chapter of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from the boy when his Papa leaves to the young man at the end of the novel?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Travis goes through from different events in the novel.
1) Analyze Travis' struggles with having to deal with such extreme responsibilities at such a young age.
2) Discuss the courage he displays in each of the violent situations he finds himself involved in.
3) How does Old Yeller help him find the courage he needs to protect his family? Explain.
1) Analyze the events leading up to Old Yeller's death at the end of the novel.
2) Describe the symptoms and dangers of hydrophobia as seen in the novel.
3) Explain if Travis had any other alternatives other than shooting Old Yeller in the head.
4) Is Travis justified in his killing of Old Yeller? Explain.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)