Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the first bull become wounded in the fight?
2. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
3. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
4. How does the bull fight finally end?
5. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
2. Summarize the warning the Burn Sanderson gives to Travis before he rides off.
3. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
4. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
5. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
6. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
7. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
8. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
9. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
10. Describe what Travis reveals about his relationship with Old Yeller in the beginning of the chapter.
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Hydrophobia is first mentioned when Bud Searcy visits Travis' family and talks about his uncle's death from the disease.
1) Explain Travis' reaction to the mention of hydrophobia.
2) Analyze the difference in Travis' thoughts about hydrophobia as he becomes more familiar with its symptoms and the devastating effect it has on those who contract the disease.
3) Use examples from the novel to support the answer.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)