|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the first bull become wounded in the fight?
2. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
3. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
4. How does the bull fight finally end?
5. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
2. Summarize the warning the Burn Sanderson gives to Travis before he rides off.
3. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
4. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
5. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
6. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
7. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
8. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
9. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
10. Describe what Travis reveals about his relationship with Old Yeller in the beginning of the chapter.
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Mama tends to the people in her care.
1) Describe two situations in the novel when characters rely upon Mama to help them or take care of them.
2) What does Mama have at her disposal to use in her role as caregiver, healer, and comforter?
3) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how Papa's words," A man can't afford to waste the good parts of life, worrying about the bad parts. That makes it all bad..." relate to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama.
Essay Topic 3
Hydrophobia is first mentioned when Bud Searcy visits Travis' family and talks about his uncle's death from the disease.
1) Explain Travis' reaction to the mention of hydrophobia.
2) Analyze the difference in Travis' thoughts about hydrophobia as he becomes more familiar with its symptoms and the devastating effect it has on those who contract the disease.
3) Use examples from the novel to support the answer.
This section contains 1,941 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)