|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis' father ask him to do while he is away?
2. How does Travis finally shoot the turkey that he wounded in the pea garden?
3. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
4. Why had Papa cleared out all the brush and trees from around the cabin?
5. What does Travis discover as he reaches the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of Little Arliss and Mama to the big dog?
2. Describe how Travis treats Old Yeller after the dog saves Little Arliss.
3. Summarize the items that Little Arliss brings home in his pockets.
4. Why do Travis and Old Yeller sleep in the corn patch?
5. Describe the bad news that Travis and his family get after taming Spot.
6. Summarize Old Yeller's condition when he returns home after rescuing Little Arliss.
7. What does Travis discover when he returns home that makes him angry at the yeller dog again?
8. Describe why Travis goes to the Salt Licks to hunt for deer.
9. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
10. Describe Old Yeller's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Travis grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward Old Yeller?
3) How does his attitude change about what is important in his life?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of responsibility in the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Mama tends to the people in her care.
1) Describe two situations in the novel when characters rely upon Mama to help them or take care of them.
2) What does Mama have at her disposal to use in her role as caregiver, healer, and comforter?
3) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Travis and Lisbeth have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are visiting.
2) Are their emotions authentic for their ages?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel when Lisbeth is staying at Travis' house.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)