|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
2. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot at a running deer?
3. What does Travis notice about Old Yeller when he first sees the dog?
4. How does Travis interpret the sounds of the old bull?
5. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot a javelina hog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
2. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
3. Explain what Old Yeller does when Travis comes out of the cabin with the whip.
4. What is the news that Bud Searcy brings to Mama on his visit?
5. Summarize the time Travis meets Old Yeller for the first time.
6. Describe how Travis treats Old Yeller after the dog saves Little Arliss.
7. Summarize the items that Little Arliss brings home in his pockets.
8. Summarize why Mama names the area in which they live Birdsong Creek.
9. Explain why Travis doesn't want to shoot a javelina hog.
10. Summarize Travis' feelings for Bud Searcy's daughter, Lisbeth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Gipson is trying to convey about life after the Civil War in the novel?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Coates' family and neighbors?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Little Arliss regarding his passion for the things he cares about.
2) How does Arliss react to most situations when he feels he is a victim of injustice? Cite examples from the novel.
3) What is Little Arliss' solution to protecting those he loves? Describe his selflessness during these situations.
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Travis and Lisbeth have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are visiting.
2) Are their emotions authentic for their ages?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel when Lisbeth is staying at Travis' house.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)