|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Lisbeth tell Travis about her dog, Miss Prissy?
2. What does Travis do to try and drive the bulls away from the cabin?
3. What does Travis' mother instruct him to do while he is doing his chores?
4. How does Travis interpret the sounds of the old bull?
5. What warns the doe that Travis is nearby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
2. Why do Travis and Old Yeller sleep in the corn patch?
3. Describe what Mama does to treat Travis' wound.
4. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
5. Explain what Bud Searcy does to help Mama with her chores.
6. Explain the disturbing news that Lisbeth gives to Travis.
7. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
8. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
9. Describe Old Yeller's appearance.
10. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his brother, Little Arliss.
2) How does Old Yeller affect their relationship with one another?
3) What event changes the way Travis views his brother and how he feels about him?
Give examples from the novel of the interaction between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Mama tends to the people in her care.
1) Describe two situations in the novel when characters rely upon Mama to help them or take care of them.
2) What does Mama have at her disposal to use in her role as caregiver, healer, and comforter?
3) Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,822 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)