|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the mother bear come running to attack Little Arliss?
2. What does Sanderson tell Travis about the plague of hydrophobia?
3. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
4. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
5. Who named Birdsong Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of Little Arliss and Mama to the big dog?
2. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
3. Describe how Travis treats Old Yeller after the dog saves Little Arliss.
4. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
5. Summarize the warning the Burn Sanderson gives to Travis before he rides off.
6. Explain the disturbing news that Lisbeth gives to Travis.
7. What does Tavis do when the bulls start fighting near the cabin?
8. Explain what Old Yeller does when Travis comes out of the cabin with the whip.
9. Describe the bad news that Travis and his family get after taming Spot.
10. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Fred Gipson uses local color and imagery to describe the cabin and Birdsong Creek.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the interior and exterior of the cabin, the area around Birdsong Creek, and the places Travis and Old Yeller travel during the novel.
3) How does the imagery Gipson uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cabin and surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Travis' struggles with having to deal with such extreme responsibilities at such a young age.
2) Discuss the courage he displays in each of the violent situations he finds himself involved in.
3) How does Old Yeller help him find the courage he needs to protect his family? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Travis and Lisbeth have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are visiting.
2) Are their emotions authentic for their ages?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel when Lisbeth is staying at Travis' house.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)