|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
2. Who saves Little Arliss from the attacking bear?
3. What is the first thing Travis does when he reaches the Salt Licks?
4. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
5. How does Travis react to the pending bull fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
2. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
3. Describe Little Arliss' reaction to Burn Sanderson's news.
4. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
5. Describe the agreement Little Arliss and Burn Sanderson arrange.
6. Summarize Travis' feelings for Bud Searcy's daughter, Lisbeth.
7. Describe how Travis treats Old Yeller after the dog saves Little Arliss.
8. Explain the disturbing news that Lisbeth gives to Travis.
9. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
10. Summarize the items that Little Arliss brings home in his pockets.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Old Yeller is a constant throughout the novel. He is mentioned from the very first chapter to the last chapter.
1) Explain the different images Gipson gives of Old Yeller as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of Old Yeller's character in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does Old Yeller have for Little Arliss, Travis, and Mama?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Travis grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward Old Yeller?
3) How does his attitude change about what is important in his life?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of responsibility in the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)