|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the trade that Sanderson and Little Arliss agree upon?
2. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
3. When does Travis begin to love Old Yeller?
4. What does Arliss do when Travis yells at him?
5. What advice does Sanderson give to Travis about when to shoot an animal with hydrophobia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Travis treats Old Yeller after the dog saves Little Arliss.
2. Explain what Old Yeller does to save Little Arliss from certain death.
3. Describe what Lisbeth does while staying with Travis and his family.
4. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
5. Describe why Travis goes to the Salt Licks to hunt for deer.
6. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
7. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
8. Summarize the time Travis meets Old Yeller for the first time.
9. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
10. Why is Travis worried when wakes up from his nap?
Essay Topic 1
Hydrophobia is first mentioned when Bud Searcy visits Travis' family and talks about his uncle's death from the disease.
1) Explain Travis' reaction to the mention of hydrophobia.
2) Analyze the difference in Travis' thoughts about hydrophobia as he becomes more familiar with its symptoms and the devastating effect it has on those who contract the disease.
3) Use examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how Fred Gipson uses local color and imagery to describe the cabin and Birdsong Creek.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the interior and exterior of the cabin, the area around Birdsong Creek, and the places Travis and Old Yeller travel during the novel.
3) How does the imagery Gipson uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the cabin and surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Travis and Lisbeth have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are visiting.
2) Are their emotions authentic for their ages?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel when Lisbeth is staying at Travis' house.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
This section contains 1,819 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)