|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
2. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
3. How does Little Arliss act when Travis takes him squirrel hunting?
4. What are the symptoms of hydrophobia?
5. Why does Travis run off when the trade is made between Arliss and Sanderson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Travis reveals about his relationship with Old Yeller in the beginning of the chapter.
2. Summarize the items that Little Arliss brings home in his pockets.
3. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
4. Summarize why Mama names the area in which they live Birdsong Creek.
5. Summarize Travis' feelings for Bud Searcy's daughter, Lisbeth.
6. Describe the situation when Travis shoots the deer.
7. Describe the situation that Travis sees when he hears Little Arliss screaming and runs to help him.
8. What does Travis discover when he returns home that makes him angry at the yeller dog again?
9. Summarize the time Travis meets Old Yeller for the first time.
10. Describe the agreement Little Arliss and Burn Sanderson arrange.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Travis and his mother.
2) How does little Arliss affect their relationship with one another?
3) What events cause Mama to worry so much about Travis?
4) Give examples from the story of how Travis and his mother interact with each other during the main events of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in the story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Travis life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his family because of these changes?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)