|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Little Arliss want to keep Old Yeller?
2. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
3. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
4. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
5. Why does Little Arliss cry when his father goes away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bad news that Travis and his family get after taming Spot.
2. Explain why Travis doesn't want to shoot a javelina hog.
3. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
4. Describe the situation when Travis shoots the deer.
5. Describe the agreement Little Arliss and Burn Sanderson arrange.
6. What does Travis discover when he returns home that makes him angry at the yeller dog again?
7. Describe Old Yeller's appearance.
8. Describe what Travis reveals about his relationship with Old Yeller in the beginning of the chapter.
9. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
10. Summarize Travis' feelings for Bud Searcy's daughter, Lisbeth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how Papa's words," A man can't afford to waste the good parts of life, worrying about the bad parts. That makes it all bad..." relate to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the impact of the Civil War on the American economy as described in the novel.
2) What result does this economy have on the lives of Papa, Travis, Mama, and Little Arliss?
3) Predict how different their lives would have been if the war had not affected the economy.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Travis' coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in each chapter of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from the boy when his Papa leaves to the young man at the end of the novel?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Travis goes through from different events in the novel.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)