|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
2. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
3. What does Travis do as the doe keeps approaching him?
4. How does Travis know that Little Arliss is in trouble?
5. Who saves Little Arliss from the attacking bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize how Old Yeller controls the heifer, Spot.
2. Describe the situation that Travis sees when he hears Little Arliss screaming and runs to help him.
3. Describe the situation when Travis shoots the deer.
4. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
5. Summarize why Mama names the area in which they live Birdsong Creek.
6. What does Tavis do when the bulls start fighting near the cabin?
7. Describe Old Yeller's appearance.
8. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
9. Summarize Travis' feelings for Bud Searcy's daughter, Lisbeth.
10. Describe how Travis treats Old Yeller after the dog saves Little Arliss.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
Essay Topic 2
1) Write an introduction for the novel discussing Fred Gipson's writing style, use of dialogue, imagery, and the point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the impact Old Yeller and Travis have on each other's lives.
2) What is involved in the relationship of the boy and his dog?
3) How does the relationship of a boy and his dog by today's standards differ from those of Travis and Old Yeller?
4)Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)