|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
2. Why does Sanderson get off his horse and approach Little Arliss?
3. How does Travis' family come to get Old Yeller?
4. What is Old Yeller's reaction when he is sprayed by a skunk?
5. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
2. Summarize why Mama names the area in which they live Birdsong Creek.
3. Explain what Old Yeller does when Travis comes out of the cabin with the whip.
4. Describe the situation that Travis sees when he hears Little Arliss screaming and runs to help him.
5. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
6. Summarize how Old Yeller controls the heifer, Spot.
7. What is the reaction of Little Arliss and Mama to the big dog?
8. Describe the bad news that Travis and his family get after taming Spot.
9. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
10. Explain why Travis doesn't want to shoot a javelina hog.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the impact Old Yeller and Travis have on each other's lives.
2) What is involved in the relationship of the boy and his dog?
3) How does the relationship of a boy and his dog by today's standards differ from those of Travis and Old Yeller?
4)Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Mama tends to the people in her care.
1) Describe two situations in the novel when characters rely upon Mama to help them or take care of them.
2) What does Mama have at her disposal to use in her role as caregiver, healer, and comforter?
3) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the events leading up to Old Yeller's death at the end of the novel.
2) Describe the symptoms and dangers of hydrophobia as seen in the novel.
3) Explain if Travis had any other alternatives other than shooting Old Yeller in the head.
4) Is Travis justified in his killing of Old Yeller? Explain.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)