|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Travis' father leaving the family for months?
2. What does Arliss start catching after Old Yeller arrives?
3. What does Sanderson tell Travis about the plague of hydrophobia?
4. How does Travis react to the pending bull fight?
5. What is Little Arliss' reaction to Old Yeller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Travis and Old Yeller sleep in the corn patch?
2. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
3. Summarize the time Travis meets Old Yeller for the first time.
4. What does Travis discover when he returns home that makes him angry at the yeller dog again?
5. Describe the situation when Travis shoots the deer.
6. Describe what Travis reveals about his relationship with Old Yeller in the beginning of the chapter.
7. Summarize how Old Yeller controls the heifer, Spot.
8. Describe Old Yeller's appearance.
9. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
10. What is the news that Bud Searcy brings to Mama on his visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the impact Old Yeller and Travis have on each other's lives.
2) What is involved in the relationship of the boy and his dog?
3) How does the relationship of a boy and his dog by today's standards differ from those of Travis and Old Yeller?
4)Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the events leading up to Old Yeller's death at the end of the novel.
2) Describe the symptoms and dangers of hydrophobia as seen in the novel.
3) Explain if Travis had any other alternatives other than shooting Old Yeller in the head.
4) Is Travis justified in his killing of Old Yeller? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the actions of the puppy at the end of the novel with the actions of Old Yeller in the beginning of the novel.
2) How do the actions of the puppy help Travis out of his depression over Old Yeller's death?
3) What emotions does Travis express when he sees Little Arliss and the puppy in the drinking water?
4) Discuss the conflicting emotions Travis reveals and explain his future plans for the puppy.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)