|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevents the animal sick with hydrophobia from getting Mama?
(a) It falls in a hole.
(b) It runs into a tree.
(c) It falls to its knees.
(d) It goes after Old Yeller instead.
2. What happens to Travis when he falls into the killer hogs?
(a) A hog grabs him by his angle.
(b) The pigs jump on top of him.
(c) A bar' hog bites his foot.
(d) A slashing tusk catches him in the calf of his right leg.
3. Why does Travis hate gathering corn?
(a) It is boring work.
(b) It is woman's work.
(c) It is a child's job.
(d) It is hot work and the corn shucks sting and makes the skin itch.
4. Why is Travis sickened when he looks at Spot?
(a) He knows that he has to shoot her.
(b) He sees that a wound on her side is covered in maggots.
(c) She is vomiting constantly.
(d) She is starving and looks like a skeleton.
5. Why doesn't Mama want the buzzards to eat the dead animal?
(a) They can eat the meat themselves.
(b) The meat will be good for the hogs.
(c) It might spread the disease.
(d) The meat will be good for Old Yeller and the puppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
2. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
3. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
4. Why does Mama decide that the Spot heifer must be killed?
5. What type of hog hangs out with the sows to protect them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Mama is afraid of their wild hogs.
2. Explain why Travis and Old Yeller head out to bat cave country.
3. Describe the condition of the roan bull who wanders around the cabin.
4. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
5. Summarize what Mama must do while Travis is recuperating.
6. Describe the battle that ensues between Old Yeller and the hogs.
7. Explain the first thing Mama and Travis see as they get closer to the spot where Travis hid Old Yeller.
8. Describe Travis' condition when he returns home after dealing with the Spot heifer.
9. Why is Travis worried when wakes up from his nap?
10. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)