|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mama sew up Old Yeller's wound?
(a) She uses a hair from Jumper's tail.
(b) She uses a thread pulled from her dress.
(c) She uses a piece of rawhide.
(d) She brought her thread with her.
2. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
(a) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
(b) He whimpers weakly.
(c) He groans and hides.
(d) He bays a warning to them to keep away.
3. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
(a) The puppy licks his hand.
(b) The puppy steals cornbread from the kitchen.
(c) His horse licks his hand.
(d) The puppy jumps on his bed.
4. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
(a) He brands them.
(b) He tattoos their ears.
(c) He cuts their tails.
(d) He has to catch them and mark them.
5. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
(a) He sleeps for days.
(b) He can't seem to get over it.
(c) He cries all the time.
(d) He gets on with his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do while Mama stitches his wound?
2. Why doesn't Mama want the buzzards to eat the dead animal?
3. How does Travis shoot Old Yeller?
4. Why does Travis keep a piece of ear from every marked pig hanging in the corn crib?
5. How does Old Yeller get into the fight with the loafer wolf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Travis plans to mark the remainder of his hogs.
2. Why does Mama say that is was a good thing Old Yeller was there to save Mama and the others from the wolf, but not a good thing for Old Yeller?
3. Describe the procedure Travis uses for marking the hogs.
4. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do while she is stitching Old Yeller's belly?
5. Describe what Travis and Mama do with the bull.
6. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
7. Summarize how Old Yeller gets the wild hogs where Travis wants them to go.
8. What decision does Mama and Travis make regarding the Spot heifer?
9. What happens to Travis as he is marking the hogs?
10. Describe the condition of Travis and Old Yeller for the next few weeks.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)