|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
(a) The whimpering of a bear cub.
(b) The coughing roar of a charging bear.
(c) The sound of a dog dying.
(d) The wild snarl of a mountain lion.
2. Why doesn't Searcy go into the house when Mama invites him?
(a) He says that he would rather sit in the dog run.
(b) He says that he doesn't feel at ease in the house.
(c) He says that the house smell like the old dog.
(d) He says that he didn't come for a social call.
3. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
(a) It is a fat and feminine calf.
(b) It is raw boned and ugly enough to be a good milk cow.
(c) It is a pretty, fat heifer.
(d) It has the calmness of a milk cow.
4. When does Travis realize how badly he needs a dog?
(a) When Old Yeller licks him on the face.
(b) When he and Old Yeller are hunting together.
(c) When Old Yeller follows him everywhere he goes.
(d) When his spotted heifer has her first calf.
5. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
(a) Jumper will be attacked by a bear.
(b) It is too much of a rocky climb.
(c) Jumper is too old to go that far.
(d) Jumper is afraid of gunfire and he will scare away the game.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
2. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
3. Who named Birdsong Creek?
4. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
5. What does Travis decide to do about Old Yeller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Travis' father is travelling to Abilene, leaving Travis in charge of the family.
2. Summarize the items that Little Arliss brings home in his pockets.
3. Describe the situation when Travis shoots the deer.
4. Describe what Travis reveals about his relationship with Old Yeller in the beginning of the chapter.
5. What is the news that Bud Searcy brings to Mama on his visit?
6. Summarize Old Yeller's condition when he returns home after rescuing Little Arliss.
7. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
8. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
9. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
10. Summarize the time Travis meets Old Yeller for the first time.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)