|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do when the bear slaps him head over heels?
(a) He lies on the ground.
(b) He charges again.
(c) He crawls away.
(d) He staggers into the bushes.
2. What does Travis' father ask him to do while he is away?
(a) He asks Travis to go to neighbors and work for food.
(b) He asks Travis to take care of the family and act like a man.
(c) He asks Travis to fetch a neighbor to help the family.
(d) He asks Travis to keep up with his school work.
3. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
(a) He acts like the bear attack was great fun.
(b) He is licking Little Arliss.
(c) He is crying with pain.
(d) He is trembling in the corner.
4. Why is Travis' father leaving the family for months?
(a) He is going East to care for his dying mother.
(b) He is working as a field hand in Abilene.
(c) He is driving cattle to Abilene.
(d) He is going East to school.
5. What does Little Arliss do to Sanderson?
(a) He kicks the man in the shin.
(b) He begs the man to leave Old Yeller.
(c) He throws rocks at the man and hits his horse.
(d) He punches the man in the stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Travis realize how badly he needs a dog?
2. How does Travis interpret the sounds of the old bull?
3. How does Travis react to the news about hydrophobia?
4. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
5. What does Mama wrap Little Arliss' hands in when he is finned by a fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Old Yeller does to save Little Arliss from certain death.
2. Describe the agreement Little Arliss and Burn Sanderson arrange.
3. What does Travis discover when he returns home that makes him angry at the yeller dog again?
4. Explain what Old Yeller does when Travis comes out of the cabin with the whip.
5. Explain why Travis' father is travelling to Abilene, leaving Travis in charge of the family.
6. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
7. Explain the disturbing news that Lisbeth gives to Travis.
8. Describe the bad news that Travis and his family get after taming Spot.
9. Summarize how Old Yeller controls the heifer, Spot.
10. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)