|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot at a running deer?
(a) His rifle isn't accurate enough to make the shot.
(b) He is afraid that he will only wound it.
(c) He knows he can't make the shot.
(d) He doesn't want to scare the animals into a stampede.
2. What does Mama make Arliss take out of his pockets before he goes to bed?
(a) His rock collection.
(b) His pennies.
(c) His tree frog.
(d) Grasshoppers, worms, bugs, and lizards.
3. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
(a) The coughing roar of a charging bear.
(b) The sound of a dog dying.
(c) The whimpering of a bear cub.
(d) The wild snarl of a mountain lion.
4. How does Travis react to the news about hydrophobia?
(a) He thinks Sanderson is lying about it.
(b) He is scared and mixed up about the danger.
(c) He thinks Sanderson is overreacting.
(d) He doesn't think it is anything to be concerned about.
5. Why does Sanderson get off his horse and approach Little Arliss?
(a) He asks Little Arliss if he wants a puppy instead.
(b) He slaps Little Arliss for his temper tantrum.
(c) He asks Little Arliss if he wants to keep the dog.
(d) He tells Little Arliss he is acting like a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the best times to go to the Salt Licks to hunt?
2. What warns the doe that Travis is nearby?
3. What does Mama ask Travis to do after he milks the cows?
4. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
5. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances that help Travis come out of his depression over Old Yeller.
2. What does Tavis do when the bulls start fighting near the cabin?
3. Describe Old Yeller's appearance.
4. What is the news that Bud Searcy brings to Mama on his visit?
5. Summarize the scene when the Spot heifer returns to the cabin.
6. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
7. Explain why Travis' father is travelling to Abilene, leaving Travis in charge of the family.
8. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
9. Explain what Old Yeller does when Travis comes out of the cabin with the whip.
10. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)