|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Travis know that Little Arliss is in trouble?
(a) Arliss' screams are loud, shrill, and frantic.
(b) Arliss is screaming for Travis which is unusual.
(c) Arliss is crying which he never usually does.
(d) Arliss is screaming about the yeller dog.
2. What do the Mexicans call a bull with a horn that hangs down past his jaw?
(a) A scoop horn.
(b) A droop horn.
(c) A moon horn.
(d) A loop horn.
3. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
(a) It is too much of a rocky climb.
(b) Jumper is too old to go that far.
(c) Jumper is afraid of gunfire and he will scare away the game.
(d) Jumper will be attacked by a bear.
4. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
(a) On the split-rail fence.
(b) At the cabin window.
(c) On the grassy knoll.
(d) On the cabin steps.
5. What are the best times to go to the Salt Licks to hunt?
(a) Early morning and mid-afternoon.
(b) Early morning and late evening.
(c) Mid-afternoon and sunset.
(d) Mid-afternoon and late evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Travis' reaction to Old Yeller when the dog approaches him?
2. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
3. Why does Little Arliss want to keep Old Yeller?
4. What does Sanderson tell Travis about the plague of hydrophobia?
5. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot at a running deer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
2. Summarize the time Travis meets Old Yeller for the first time.
3. Describe why Travis goes to the Salt Licks to hunt for deer.
4. What is the reaction of Little Arliss and Mama to the big dog?
5. Describe the agreement Little Arliss and Burn Sanderson arrange.
6. Summarize why Mama names the area in which they live Birdsong Creek.
7. Summarize the warning the Burn Sanderson gives to Travis before he rides off.
8. Explain why Travis doesn't want to shoot a javelina hog.
9. What is the news that Bud Searcy brings to Mama on his visit?
10. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)