|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who named Birdsong Creek?
(a) Little Arliss.
(d) The settlers.
2. What does Mama ask Travis to do after he milks the cows?
(a) Get Little Arliss ready for bed.
(b) Kill a doe for meat.
(c) Read the Bible.
(d) Feed the dog.
3. How does Travis react to the pending bull fight?
(a) He blocks his ears from the sound of the bulls.
(b) He is excited and wants to see it.
(c) He can't watch because it sickens him.
(d) He feels bad for the bulls.
4. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
(a) It is a fat and feminine calf.
(b) It has the calmness of a milk cow.
(c) It is a pretty, fat heifer.
(d) It is raw boned and ugly enough to be a good milk cow.
5. What does Old Yeller do when Travis sic's him on the bulls?
(a) He runs away into the woods.
(b) He leaps onto the back of one of the bulls.
(c) He circles the bulls, howling.
(d) He attacks the bulls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
2. How does the bull fight finally end?
3. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
4. What warns the doe that Travis is nearby?
5. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the disturbing news that Lisbeth gives to Travis.
2. Explain why Travis doesn't want to shoot a javelina hog.
3. Summarize the warning the Burn Sanderson gives to Travis before he rides off.
4. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
5. What is the reaction of Little Arliss and Mama to the big dog?
6. What is the news that Bud Searcy brings to Mama on his visit?
7. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
8. Describe the bad news that Travis and his family get after taming Spot.
9. Explain why Travis doesn't want another dog.
10. Summarize the fight between the two bulls.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)