|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Travis react to the pending bull fight?
(a) He blocks his ears from the sound of the bulls.
(b) He can't watch because it sickens him.
(c) He feels bad for the bulls.
(d) He is excited and wants to see it.
2. Why had Papa cleared out all the brush and trees from around the cabin?
(a) He cleared the brush so Mama could plant roses.
(b) He cleared the brush in case of a fire.
(c) He cleared the brush to get a clear shot at Comanches and Apaches.
(d) He cleared the brush to cut down on the bugs.
3. Who does Lisbeth say she saw stealing from the settlement?
(a) A bobcat.
(b) A coyote.
(d) Old Yeller.
4. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
(a) He blindfolds her.
(b) He ties her head and feet.
(c) He has Old Yeller stand near her.
(d) He puts her into a narrow pen.
5. Why do the hogs, cattle, and wild animals come to the Salt Licks?
(a) They drink from the pond that is there.
(b) It has thick brambles where the animals hide.
(c) They eat the berries growing there.
(d) They lick the salt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man is Burn Sanderson?
2. What does Travis' mother instruct him to do while he is doing his chores?
3. How does Travis finally shoot the turkey that he wounded in the pea garden?
4. Why does Little Arliss want to keep Old Yeller?
5. What does Travis notice about Old Yeller when he first sees the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bulls that come near the cabin to fight with one another.
2. Summarize the time Travis meets Old Yeller for the first time.
3. Describe the situation when Travis finds Spot and her new calf.
4. Describe why Travis goes to the Salt Licks to hunt for deer.
5. Describe Little Arliss' reaction to Burn Sanderson's news.
6. What is Burn Sanderson's offer regarding Old Yeller and why doesn't Mama accept it?
7. Explain what Travis does to the big dog when he sees him for the first time and what is the dog's reaction.
8. Summarize how Old Yeller controls the heifer, Spot.
9. What is the news that Bud Searcy brings to Mama on his visit?
10. Describe how Travis treats Old Yeller after the dog saves Little Arliss.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)